projector for mid-size screening room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello,

I'm new to posting on this forum though have looked through the threads many times for advice and reviews on certain projector models as I get ready to buy a new unit. I'm looking for some thoughts/specific model recommendations for a unit that will be used in a small gallery for video exhibitions. We have a budget that maxes out in the $4k range (street price) but there's room to move for the right machine. Here's the particulars of our space and what we need:

16' x 40' room
controlled lighting (dark, though walls are not black)
source material will be DVcam or BetaSP, occasional dvd and laptop
this is to say that connections will primarily be through component or y/c inputs
screen is a da-lite da-mat screen
vertical image size is 90"
mainly screening 4:3 content
need extensive control/adjustment options

We've used a number of different projectors in this space, from infocus x1s to old epson powerlite s1. Most everything we've used we've been really unhappy with. The screen door, poor contrast/awful black levels of lcd projectors are a big problem. But the Rainbow artifacts of the dlp's we've used is equally frustrating to us. I've read that the newer lcd's have made significant leaps in those areas, and also that faster colorwheels/multiple segments have made the rainbow effect much less of a problem, but have not had any real world experience. I'm really interested in the canon and sony LCOS units, but know little about them and their quirks. I'm also grappling with the 4:3 vs. 16:9 issue. We won't be showing a lot of widescreen material, though that could change in a few years. On the other hand, many of the best specd projectors come in 16:9...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

pablo