Are the Sanyo PLV-70 owners a dying breed? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 01-24-2007, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JP,
I feel your resolution. But stay away from the analog side of this pj, it's ugly compared to the digital.

Im driving one with dual Nvidia 8800s with core2 and 3 15k Fijitsus in a raid zero serialed to dual LSI SAS 512 meg controllers. It's using a TCPIP gigabit connect to dual 4 terabyte dvd servers out in the office, both also in raid zero.

The new nividia's control panel will allow you to run non std digital resolutions as long as the projector will accept them. Ive found about 4 that work.

I too have been wanting to go to 1920 but dont want to lose that 2200 lumens. Also thought about using "Just for Men" to get the grey out on the margins.

Have you ever wondered if those two little side filters are keeping it clean? I put a small hepa filter in the pj room, blowing right on the intakes... just in case.

The thing just seems to always work, when the upgrade comes Ive got 2 movie buff friends who want to steal it.
Hibo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

What's a PLV-70?

Never forget your beginnings...

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #33 of 57 Old 01-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

Never forget your beginnings...

No respect...no respect...beginnings actually = PLV-60 .
Mine's been running strong for 6 years.

Retirement for the old boy is slowly approaching though(RS-1).
post #34 of 57 Old 01-25-2007, 06:31 PM
kkc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post

No respect...no respect...beginnings actually = PLV-60 .
Mine's been running strong for 6 years.

Retirement for the old boy is slowly approaching though(RS-1).

My thoughts exactly...my SE 13HD (PLV-60 clone) has given me over 5 years of enjoyment. My extended warranty, which I never had to use, just expired.

The RS-1 is calling

Kevin
post #35 of 57 Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkc View Post

My thoughts exactly...my SE 13HD (PLV-60 clone) has given me over 5 years of enjoyment. My extended warranty, which I never had to use, just expired.
Kevin

Kevin:
I agree, they are great machines. I started with the PLV-60, never had any problems with it, traded for a PLV-70, ran it solid for two years and MANY bulbs and six months ago HAD to go to a PLV-75 for the HDCP. If you have to make the upgrade you will love it because they did on screen menu enhancements, improved the remote (now backlit) and other minor updates.
I have not found any signals yet that will not pass through the HDMI converted to their DVI connector with HDCP. I have five HDMI components (MovieBeam, HD-DVD, Dish Network 942 etc. all going into a Zektor switcher and into the Sanyo PLV-75 and it all works great.... my only LITTLE complaint is that with the HDCP added, it slows down switching back and forth about 2 seconds, compared to instant without HDCP.

Anyway, long live the PLV series! I love the 2200 lumens brightness and am thrilled with the HD-DVD output into it on a 140" screen.

flashcube
post #36 of 57 Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 PM

Another hugely satisfied owner here.
It's lack of HDCP isn't worrying me. For HDDVD/BluRay, playback via my HTPC (and if necessary ripping to hard disk first) will probably bypass any protection.

I don't think broadcast HDTV is being HDCP protected yet. If and when it does, I can add an HDCP stripper for minimal outlay - afaik they aren't illegal here in England.

As for us dying out...well maybe we are getting upgradeitis. Because we've been enjoying gorgeous images for over 5 years now, we're thinking, surely things must have moved on by now?
But the fact is all similarly-specced 1080p options are STILL over double the price we paid for our PLV-70s. I do want 1080p but won't go near anything that's less colourful/sharp/bright...where's my PLV-90, Sanyo? There's lots of us waiting it seems.
post #37 of 57 Old 01-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Even though I've been happy with my 13hd/plv-60 for all these years...the notion of good contrast with blacker blacks sure does sound good. Plus since moving up to a 133" screen the sde became fairly noticeable from my front row compared to the 118" screen I ran previously. Though to be fair I knew I'd be upgrading to a 1080 projector soon when I bought the 133" screen back in the early fall.
Not seeing any sde from less 15' on such a large screen is nearly impossible for a 720-768 rez pj (unless a panny with smooth screen).

But like others have said...where's sanyo's bright 1080p PLV units?.?. I can't even recall any bright semi-affordable 1080 pj's that have even been announced. So come on Sanyo...PLV brightness + 1080 resolution = the answer to many pj users dreams.
post #38 of 57 Old 01-31-2007, 10:41 AM

I have the HDCP "fix" for the bulb eater. Its been a good machine and I just cleaned the panels. With a new bulb...I still like the image. However, when I run HDMI to the unit (off of my dbs receiver set to out 720p/1080i) I get an interesting blue line of pixels on the top of the screen (couple of rows of pixels). Is this because the resolution of the projector is actually 768?

Is there a "fix" in the menu for this scaling issue or does one have to purchase an outboard scaler to get the 768 resolution dialed in (ie does the unit not accurately scale a digital signal).
post #39 of 57 Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 AM

Set the background in the plv-70 to black
post #40 of 57 Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM

so i'm losing some resolution on the top? No fix? Set to black and zoom out image?
post #41 of 57 Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

What's a PLV-70?

If I recall, it's that projector you used to own that you'd post some pissed off thread about every week or two such as "I sent the damn thing back for service and it's not better" or "I can't get rid of this damn green hue" or "I'm going to break this thing in two" (OK, I made the last one up).
post #42 of 57 Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM

a good cleaning perhaps?
Mine went into the shop once...but for a different reason...when I first got it my kids were playing in the theater and one of them hit it with a bat.

I live in Silverdale show I showed up at Boxlight and they kinda' hmmmphd and then fixed it....seemed to be a factor flaw in the unit.....kinda' damaged power supply etc I told them to quit selling inferior products......

:}
post #43 of 57 Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM

Mine is still working great
post #44 of 57 Old 01-31-2007, 06:14 PM

Guys.... I haven't had to clean my PLV-75 yet, but there is a set of full instructions somewhere on this site that a member published on how to do a PLV-70 cleaning. It's three pages of carefully thought out procedures...
I've done it only one time, and it worked ok for me, but took about an hour to perform. In the instructions are thoughts on adding filters to the sides to prefilter and prevent future cleanings.
If anyone needs the info, let me know and I will try and link you to that area.

Flashcube.

(PS can anyone give me any estimates as to how many hours they are getting on PLV-70 bulbs? thanks!)
post #45 of 57 Old 02-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashcube View Post

(PS can anyone give me any estimates as to how many hours they are getting on PLV-70 bulbs? thanks!)

1850 hours on one, about 1300-1600 on three others. But only 650 on the current one which is already on it's way out

One of them exploded; you're treated to quite an impressive bang when UHP lamps go that way.
post #46 of 57 Old 02-04-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm@silverlink.net View Post

I have the HDCP "fix" for the bulb eater. Its been a good machine and I just cleaned the panels. With a new bulb...I still like the image. However, when I run HDMI to the unit (off of my dbs receiver set to out 720p/1080i) I get an interesting blue line of pixels on the top of the screen (couple of rows of pixels). Is this because the resolution of the projector is actually 768?

Is there a "fix" in the menu for this scaling issue or does one have to purchase an outboard scaler to get the 768 resolution dialed in (ie does the unit not accurately scale a digital signal).

Blue pixels on the top of the screen is new to me. I've only heard of them at the bottom and this will always occur if you have 1:1 pixel mapping locked in. In my case a run a HTPC which outputs 1360 x 768 and is known to be a good resolution for 1:1 pixel mapping. The image is razor sharp at this resolution but I do have a blue line of pixels at the very bottom of the screen each time I use the resolution. This was fairly well documented by others on this forum.
post #47 of 57 Old 02-05-2007, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe his projector is inverted.

BB
post #48 of 57 Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

If I recall, it's that projector you used to own that you'd post some pissed off thread about every week or two such as "I sent the damn thing back for service and it's not better" or "I can't get rid of this damn green hue" or "I'm going to break this thing in two" (OK, I made the last one up).

You haven't seen me post negative stuff on my current projector . . .

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #49 of 57 Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkc View Post

The RS-1 is calling

Kevin

I'm also still getting good use out of my PLV-60 I bought back in 2002 (and the for the $4500 I paid for it, I intend to use it until it goes dark). However, if the bulb does go, I am thinking of just getting a new projector rather than paying $400-$500 for a new assembly in a machine that is 5 years old and only capable of 1080i-50 or 1080i-60.

Any recommendations for when that day comes??
post #50 of 57 Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 AM

Liked: 12
Guys! Me too, me too! I've owned a PLV-60 for about five years (only on my second bulb) and haven't regretting a moment.

But, I recently blacked out my home theater and the poor contrast level are pushing me toward a new machine as well. I can afford the RS-1, but without a vertical stretch mode, I'm not sure if I really want it. (I've always wanted to try a constant height image at 2.35:1.)

So, a dying breed? YES! But, we're still pretty big in regards to numbers!
post #51 of 57 Old 08-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post

Guys! Me too, me too! I've owned a PLV-60 for about five years (only on my second bulb) and haven't regretting a moment.

But, I recently blacked out my home theater and the poor contrast level are pushing me toward a new machine as well. I can afford the RS-1, but without a vertical stretch mode, I'm not sure if I really want it. (I've always wanted to try a constant height image at 2.35:1.)

So, a dying breed? YES! But, we're still pretty big in regards to numbers!

And will be big in regards to numbers for some time yet I suspect.
I would love to upgrade to 1920 and a higher contrast output. In truth I would have thought I would have spent the money a long way back but there still doesn't appear to be anything on the horizion (for less than the cost of a small house) that will deliver the same amount of light onto my 4 meter wide constant height screen.

I just don't see the point in downsizing to a smaller screen and would miss the pleasure of watching visitors reactions when they come into the home theater and are confronted with a large 2.34 screen filled with bright glorious color!

I really don't understand why it is taking so long for a 1920 version of the light producing and price of the plv-70. Is there a technical issue that the manufacturers can't overcome easily?
post #52 of 57 Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 AM

I have had a PLV-60 that I bought used for 2 years now and it continues to chug along and still have not changed the bulb (well over 2K hours on it). I just love the brightness and for sports in hi-def and the sort its image is awesome including gaming which definitely needs the brightness. I would love to see a 1080P projector that has the light output these big Sanyos have. The HDCP is not an issue since I can run the Xbox through VGA. Might be interested in getting a nice used PLV-70 though.

It just looks expensive!

My Theater
post #53 of 57 Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 AM

so, when you go to digital input, most of our output devices today do not perfectly map this resolution (1368). they are 1080 i, 720 p, etc. which leaves a row (or two) of pixels. how do i set the projector to eliminate these unused portion of pixels?

have you found that the 1:1 pixel mapping is beneficial? have you set the projector to process and compared the two. how do you do that (in the menu)?

at one time, i had purchased a cheap dvd player that had the exact output resolution of my projector. the picture was noticably better than component.

aside from a separate video processor, i can't find "native" source devices (certainly not sat boxes).
post #54 of 57 Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 AM

I have both a PLV 60 and 70
When a lamp blows on one I switch to the other, till a new lamp comes in. I'm wondering what anyone's opinion of the differences between these projectors is?
I'm thinking the 60 is better:
Bigger picture for a fixed throw distance
better color, or is it a bad replace lamp?

Peter
post #55 of 57 Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Is it easy to clean the panels in the PLV70? We have these in a church but since moved and looking for a new location so at the moment they are in storage it's been like 5 years or so and only on the 2nd bulbs.

Having said that I was wondering how to get some digital feed to it? We ran S-video to them projectors, the signal came from a video mixer via Svideo to a Svideo splitter then two the two projectors and two plasma Tv's. I was never thrilled with the image, however I would like to see what some HD content looks like on them.

Oh and at least one of them had a shattered bulb but the projector is fine.
post #56 of 57 Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
anybody using a hdmi stripper like the hd fury2 with this projector?
post #57 of 57 Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Question.. a church just moved and now the place they are going to be at now is a lot larger.. the ceiling is taller which makes it a issue because it's a cathedral ceiling, the screen we have now would look out of place now because it would look so tiny.. the only thing I can really think of is building a screen.. Not too sure how high the ceiling.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page