Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2006, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About 8 months ago I took the plunge and bought a Sanyo PLV-70 projector. I have been fairly happy with it and I really don't want to sell it but its lack of HDCP support has me really frustrated. The simple truth is the price of these projectors came down around the exact same time HD-DVD was being introduced. I assume that retailers simply new they weren't HDCP compliant and knew the price drop would help sell them. Yes, I got what I think was a pretty good deal on a new PLV-70.

However, now I am really torn. I would love to take advantage of HD-DVD but there really aren't enough titles yet to have me want to change. As soon as every new release comes out on HD-DVD I know then I'll want to change and this is the big question. I probably can't change since HD-DVD uses HDCP. I've given some though to upgrading my HTPC to a Core 2 Duo processor so I can really take advantage of post processing and clean-up Standard DVDs but then I wonder if there is really a point to that since HD-DVD may be so good it won't require any post processing. See my frustration?

I'm curious if there are any other PLV-70 owners out there and what your plans are. Do we all simply spend thousands to upgrade to a PLV-75 that for the most part just incorporates probably $50 in extra electronics to do HDCP? Are we gamblining on the fact that there will be some kind of HDCP stripper available? I would probably try to find an HDCP stripper now if I thought it would work in the future. I just don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Currently it is illegal to sell HDCP strippers in the U.S. I suppose that could change when enough voters are disenchanted with incumbent politicians.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Remember when lines and logos burned the TV screen? I was at a concert where a musical selection made extremely heavy use of about four of the keys of the piano.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Jayne View Post

Currently it is illegal to sell HDCP strippers in the U.S. I suppose that could change when enough voters are disenchanted with incumbent politicians.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

I'm aware they are illegal. I have not purchased one but I certainly do not think I am the type of person they are after anyway. My only goal is to simply purchase an HD-DVD and purchase or rent HD-DVD's and view them. As it stands now I don't think I can do this with the non-HDCP PLV70.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 249
HD DVD also outputs over the analog component connection where HDCP isn't an issue.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

In fact, the xbox 360 add-on HD DVD player isn't expected to have an HDMI, and the cheaper PS3 model won't have it either (for blu-ray). It seems there has been an informal agreement not to invoke the ICT flag until after 2011. So lack of HDMI should be of no concern to you.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What's a PLV-70?

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

What's a PLV-70?

LOL...
Old 08-24-2006, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

HD DVD also outputs over the analog component connection where HDCP isn't an issue.

I wasn't aware of this! I guess I won't be able to get the digital signal which is sort of a bummer but 1080i via analog is a practically perfect workaround. Ultimately, if I don't really need to be worrying about this until 2011 then I'm all set.

Thanks!!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post

LOL...

Oh, I remember now

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I wasn't aware of this! I guess I won't be able to get the digital signal which is sort of a bummer but 1080i via analog is a practically perfect workaround. Ultimately, if I don't really need to be worrying about this until 2011 then I'm all set.

Thanks!!

I am using a Toshiba HD-A1 via component to a PLV-70 clone and am very pleased with the results. For SDVDs I'm still using an Oppo over DVI for upscaling. I've had the PLV-70 for almost 4 years and have been very pleased. However, I'm really statrting to get the upgrade bug.

Good Luck,
Randy
Old 08-24-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

LOL...

We all know he's lonely because he doesn't have one anymore but please don't encourage "John"Mike.

No doubt going digital is whole lot "better" than component with the PLV-70. So you know, the "fix" (12p) works perfectly with an HD DVD player and most all digitally "corrupted" input devices.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post

We all know he's lonely because he doesn't have one anymore but please don't encourage "John"Mike.

No doubt going digital is whole lot "better" than component with the PLV-70. So you know, the "fix" (12p) works perfectly with an HD DVD player and most all digitally "corrupted" input devices.

Understood
Old 08-24-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

"Are the Sanyo PLV-70 owners a dying breed?"

Shoot, I am still using an XP-21N. Although the PLV-75 might finally push me to upgrade.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmx View Post

Shoot, I am still using an XP-21N. Although the PLV-75 might finally push me to upgrade.

I hear ya'. Up to 8 months ago I was using an NEC VT540 and actually still pretty happy with it.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:24 PM

Guys, let's face it, the industry changes every 6 months!

Your PLV-70 will still work just fine with the component inputs.

By the way, I found out the Toshiba HD-DVD outputs 1080i through the component output. Haven't tried it, but the manual states it does.

I sold my PLV-70 and bought a new PLV-75 mainly to upgrade to the DVI HDCP and be able to run my HDMI switchers into it.
I must say, it was a great move. The new PLV-75 has taken everything with copy protection that I have thrown at it! The Toshiba HD-DVD looks incredible via HDMI on a 140" screen at 1080i. It's 2200 lumens bright, superb color and stunning.

If you trade up to the PLV-75, and sell your older PLV-70, it's just a grand or so, not a full $4300.oo as buying it from start up would be.

Plus you get a lot of "tweaks" that are much better than the older model.
The PLV-75 remote is MUCH improved. The on screen menus are better designed. I have had no problems with it from the start and I've been running it daily for two months now.

They changed the bulb, so we MIGHT even get more hours now....

Flashcube
Old 08-24-2006, 05:35 PM

Sorry guys you are confusing me... That is not hard to do. Are you saying that if I was to buy a HD-DVD and hook it up to the DVI connection it wouldn't work, or it wouldn't work after 2011 when they start implementing HDCP?
Old 08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It won't work over DVI, but will work over component.

I'm not dying, but I have put my 20HD (PLV70) up for sale. It still has brightness going for it, and I have a Cygnus IMX for it (a vey wortwhile upgrade for these PJs in my opinion). But some time in the next year or so I am going to go full HD and higher contrast, probably with a Pearl or the Mits 5000.

I will definitely miss the brightness, but i have ended up watching movies only after dark so consistently that my lack of light control is a non-issue. I'll probably suffer with one of these dim new-fangled HD oil lamps for a while until Ohlson's dream become reality.

BB
Old 08-24-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

Oh, I remember now

Its what I have that you formerly had (although the Bravo D1 is long gone).
Old 08-24-2006, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

I have put my 20HD (PLV70) up for sale.

BB

Maybe I should buy it BB, just so JMike can't upgrade , although I miss the whining.

Seems to me it would be a lot less expensive to spend around $300 to "enable" DVI for the HD DVD player than spend $4-5k and get exactly the same results from the new improved (?) Sanyo, yes ?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baird View Post

Sorry guys you are confusing me... That is not hard to do. Are you saying that if I was to buy a HD-DVD and hook it up to the DVI connection it wouldn't work, or it wouldn't work after 2011 when they start implementing HDCP?

Hi Baird,
Right, the Sanyo won't accept an HDCP encrypted HDMI/DVI signal...unless you add an 1x2 distribution amp (12p) in-line. If you do your all set for just about any HDMI/DVI input device and their all digital path benifits.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Hi Baird,
Right, the Sanyo won't accept an HDCP encrypted HDMI/DVI signal...unless you add an 1x2 distribution amp (12p) in-line. If you do your all set for just about any HDMI/DVI input device and their all digital path benifits.

Now you are really losing me!!!
I am guessing a 1x2 distribution amp amplifies the signal to distribute it to two points.
Why would that fix the problem?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baird View Post

Now you are really losing me!!!
I am guessing a 1x2 distribution amp amplifies the signal to distribute it to two points.
Why would that fix the problem?

not for us to ask why, just accept the fact that it does .. "fix" the problem.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmx View Post

i retired my 21N in January and bought a z4. the z4 has much better picture quality and i don't really notice the brightness loss as i'm using a hipower screen with the z4 vs. a studiotek 130 with the 21N. now i'm waiting on 1080p.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Old 08-25-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

"I really don't notice the brightness loss as I'm using the HiPower screen with the Z4"

Well, you sure would notice "Brightness Loss" if you had the HiPower to begin with.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been feeling less bright for a year now. I don't know if it's my age or my lamp. Or my smartass kid.

BB
Old 08-31-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

I'm not dying, but I have put my 20HD (PLV70) up for sale. It still has brightness going for it, and I have a Cygnus IMX for it (a vey wortwhile upgrade for these PJs in my opinion). But some time in the next year or so I am going to go full HD and higher contrast, probably with a Pearl or the Mits 5000.

I will definitely miss the brightness, but i have ended up watching movies only after dark so consistently that my lack of light control is a non-issue. I'll probably suffer with one of these dim new-fangled HD oil lamps for a while until Ohlson's dream become reality.

BB

--------
Brandon:
Before you sell your 20HD, I suggest you try plugging in the Toshiba HD-DVD player using the 1080i through the component. It looks great through both component and DVI/hdmi! The quality of the signal uncompressed out of the HD-DVD player and the brightness of the 20HD/PLV-70 is just astounding.
I had the PLV-70 and fought the HDCP and upgraded to the PLV-75.
The projector is basically the same box. It has the same 2200 lumens, but upgraded the HDCP and new remote features plus new onscreen menus.

Flashcube
Old 09-01-2006, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

"I really don't notice the brightness loss as I'm using the HiPower screen with the Z4"

Well, you sure would notice "Brightness Loss" if you had the HiPower to begin with.

except that my retinas would've been burned so badly that i wouldn't be able to see anything anyway.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Old 09-01-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Not selling it because of the image quality with hidef. I want more contrast. Everything else (except the 50%+ drop in brightness) is just icing.

BB
Old 09-03-2006, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
JP
AVS Special Member

Good point about the HD-DVD player. I have one now but I'm actually not at home to even try it. Due to a number of reasons I didn't run a component cable to my projector. I ran VGA and DVI. In regards to the Toshiba HD-DVD player, does anyone know if I can simply use a cable adapter to go from Component to VGA and then from my distribution amp to my projector (via VGA) OR do you need a transcoder?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:39 PM

Hey guys, I just found out that if you upgrade from the Sanyo PLV-70 up to the PLV-75 to get HDCP compatibilty, you can still use your older projection bulbs. I had two backups and thought I couldn't use them anymore after I sold my PLV-70. Even though Sanyo changed the THP bulb number, the old bulb in the PLV-70 is the exact same one that fits in the newer PLV-75. For what it's worth.

So the rumors that it's a new and improved bulb are false, BUT, I'm still getting anywhere from 1,000 hrs to 1800 hrs on most of them.
I've got to admit, it's so bright I can't complain. The rebuilt lamps are sometimes giving me 1,000 hrs, but are less preditable than a brand new factory bulb.

Any other PLV-75 owners out there getting any longer run times???

Flashcube