post #181 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanesq View Post

(BTW, people should leave you alone about the AVS pricing and just call Jason Turk. What's so hard about that? Jason will help anyone who calls/emails.)

Jason will be tied up until probably Monday or Tuesday, and then when he gets back he will have to sift thru a ton of PMs. People are understandably anxious to know how this will fit into their budgets. I PMd Alan yesterday and haven't gotten a reply bakc yet either, but I understand. If I don't hear from him by Monday evening, I'll give him or Jason a call Tuesday. I only PM'd Alan because I figured Jason was probably already swamped. I didn't think Alan handeld direct sales until Chris mentioned it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Honestly though if the are as close as we all know they are and the Pearl is half the price I think it's a no brainer.
post #183 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by djzelos View Post

Honestly though if the are as close as we all know they are and the Pearl is half the price I think it's a no brainer.

Absolutely!
post #184 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM

I just wanted to add my personal thanks to DJ and Andrew for taking the time to post here on their first experiences with this new projector so many of us have been waiting for. I don't know that I would have had the patience and discipline these two guys have shown over the past two days, but please know it is very much appreciated, and we get to experience it vicariously.

My wife wants to get this thing to replace our old projector immediately.

Jeff Lederman
Fremont, CA
post #185 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

But yes, those shots do look really good on your HBO HD. But how come you weren't more selective like, ahem... cough, cough... Jessica Alba.

Okay, help me out. How about some Florida-Tenn. on CBS in 1080i?

Pretty please!

(BTW, people should leave you alone about the AVS pricing and just call Jason Turk. What's so hard about that? Jason will help anyone who calls/emails.)

I must really like you guys. Ok Flordia-Tenn from CBS in 1080i. It was tough to get the paused image to look right but its stellar in full motion. I hope they are ok.

Florida-Tenn CBS 1080i 1

Flordia-Tenn CBS 1080i 2
post #186 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lederman View Post

I just wanted to add my personal thanks to DJ and Andrew for taking the time to post here on their first experiences with this new projector so many of us have been waiting for. I don't know that I would have had the patience and discipline these two guys have shown over the past two days, but please know it is very much appreciated, and we get to experience it vicariously.

My wife wants to get this thing to replace our old projector immediately.

Glad I could be of assistance. Tomorow is my favorite day SUNDAY! I am going to take some different football shots. CBS 1080i vs ESPN 720p. It should be fun to compare the two.

Also I'm glad your wife is cool and supportive of your home theater hobbie.
post #187 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

Jason will be tied up until probably Monday or Tuesday, and then when he gets back he will have to sift thru a ton of PMs. People are understandably anxious to know how this will fit into their budgets. I PMd Alan yesterday and haven't gotten a reply bakc yet either, but I understand. If I don't hear from him by Monday evening, I'll give him or Jason a call Tuesday. I only PM'd Alan because I figured Jason was probably already swamped. I didn't think Alan handeld direct sales until Chris mentioned it.

I sent Jason an e-mail earlier in the week concerning the Pearl and his reply was rather curt. Alan said via PM to speak with Jason. Suffice it to say, even though I keep hearing about how great their service is, I haven't seen any pre-sales service yet that makes me want to spend my money with them.

Dj:

I hope Sony sends you a commission check because I believe you have sold some Pearls for them tonight.

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
post #188 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm officially jealous! Wow wow wow! $5K! Hats off to Sony!

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #189 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

I sent Jason an e-mail earlier in the week concerning the Pearl and his reply was rather curt. Alan said via PM to speak with Jason. Suffice it to say, even though I keep hearing about how great their service is, I haven't seen any pre-sales service yet that makes me want to spend my money with them.

Dj:

I hope Sony sends you a commission check because I believe you have sold some Pearls for them tonight.

CEDIA week is always tough for these guys plus they do have lives outside of this forum too. Trust me their service is the best!
post #190 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I must really like you guys. Ok Flordia-Tenn from CBS in 1080i. It was tough to get the paused image to look right but its stellar in full motion. I hope they are ok.

Florida-Tenn CBS 1080i 1

Flordia-Tenn CBS 1080i 2

Hey, thanks so much for this. The second shot with the field level shot is looking pretty darn good for movie like sports watching.

If you have a chance let us know how the Pearl handles the fast motion action scenes and if you see any artifacts or distortion. That would be useful. But no rush. You've been so great with so much pestering.

Consider me one less pest now.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #191 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

Dj:

I don't know what pre-sales service is but it sounds deadly in sales.
But seriously, get in touch with Jason. I've spoken to him a couple of times and he was great with answering questions as well as adding to the list.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #192 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Alan,
I don't want to clog your inbox any more than it already is- just letting you know I got your PM- Thanks!

They are getting swamped guys, just be patient
post #193 of 830 Old 09-16-2006, 10:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Paulidan PM sent

Kroenen

We have yet to get any info from Sony when we are getting our order. Things are up in the air along with many other dealers. To my knowledge only one dealer received a limited number so far.
There are plenty of dealers on this forum but none have commented getting any. They are most likely at cedia though so its possible someone else may have some waiting on their door step. Im hoping next week after things calm down we will see others getting inventory and hope we are not far behind. Sorry for the lack of info at this time. I will make sure Jason follows up when he returns.

Thanks!!

Edited: Paulidan looks like we were both typing at the same time. Thank you
post #194 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 01:56 AM

For those who already set up their Pearl, how long is your HDMI cable coming from the projector to your source? For my case, if I decided to purchase the pearl I may need at most 100-ft HDMI cable. I'm just wondering if this kind of length will still be OK.

-twelly
post #195 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 02:07 AM

Well with CEDIA going on in my backyard, I have to say that I am extremely interested in picking up one of these projectors now and trading in my Sony Grand Wega.

I sent a PM to Alan and am eagerly awaiting a response back. I sure wish it was open to the public, I would love to drive downtown and see it first hand. Any chance of me getting in?
post #196 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Alan: Thank you for the reply.

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
post #197 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by repdetect2 View Post

Well with CEDIA going on in my backyard, I have to say that I am extremely interested in picking up one of these projectors now and trading in my Sony Grand Wega.

Where would you trade in your grand wega?
post #198 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 03:21 AM

Sorry. When I say trading it in, I mean selling it either on craigs or on ebay...
post #199 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelly View Post

For those who already set up their Pearl, how long is your HDMI cable coming from the projector to your source? For my case, if I decided to purchase the pearl I may need at most 100-ft HDMI cable. I'm just wondering if this kind of length will still be OK.

-twelly

At 50 feet you need to add a booster if you want to handle 1080P. There is at least one company making HDMI cables with in-line boosters.
post #200 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelly View Post

-twelly

I have 2 4m HDMI Cables. One for the Cable Box and One for the DVD Player.
post #201 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey, thanks so much for this. The second shot with the field level shot is looking pretty darn good for movie like sports watching.

If you have a chance let us know how the Pearl handles the fast motion action scenes and if you see any artifacts or distortion. That would be useful. But no rush. You've been so great with so much pestering.

Consider me one less pest now.

For instance during the game last night I did not notice any artifacts during regular game play. However if CBS showed a replay there was some noise in the picture and it did not look as clear as the original. I don't know for sure but I believe it's a CBS thing.
post #202 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Djzelos, or Andrew

If I were to have the Pearl Shelf mounted at about 80% up on the screen Height does the Pearl have enough vertical adjustment to allow me to bring the image down and fill my screen?

Or would I have to lower the shelf, or ceiling mount?
post #203 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

For me it is hard to justify $10k for a projector. Id rather put my money into something else. Similar to the Marantz, etc. Im sure they throw great pictures and while I can purchase the projector I just dont find it a wise investment. I have other areas where I want to spend my money. I figure if I can get 80-85% of the performance of the Ruby then I will be happy.

But, you'll be losing money on the Ruby and adding that to the cost of the Pearl at which point I would imagine you'll be close to back where you started in cost for just the Ruby, but you'll have a Pearl instead.
post #204 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Djzelos, or Andrew

If I were to have the Pearl Shelf mounted at about 80% up on the screen Height does the Pearl have enough vertical adjustment to allow me to bring the image down and fill my screen?

Or would I have to lower the shelf, or ceiling mount?

I have mine on a low table and it was tough to get the image high enough for my screen. If you have it higher vs. lower I think you would have no problem.

Time to set the Fantasy Football Roster! SUNDAY!!!
post #205 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

But, you'll be losing money on the Ruby and adding that to the cost of the Pearl at which point I would imagine you'll be close to back where you started in cost for just the Ruby, but you'll have a Pearl instead.

The Pearl is very cheap. I used the Ruby for 8 months so I factor some of the loss on resale into the enjoyment I had while using it. If I added the cost of the two together it is much less than what you are probably thinking.

Of course home theater projectors are not investments, but I enjoy buying/selling projectors. I have bought and sold 10 in the past 2 years alone. Its fun to see all the new technologies.
post #206 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

I have mine on a low table and it was tough to get the image high enough for my screen. If you have it higher vs. lower I think you would have no problem.

Time to set the Fantasy Football Roster! SUNDAY!!!

I see the Ruby has no Low vertical lens shifting. only moves up 65%

Does the Pearl do the same thing only, or can you move the image down 65% or more?
post #207 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:

For instance during the game last night I did not notice any artifacts during regular game play. However if CBS showed a replay there was some noise in the picture and it did not look as clear as the original. I don't know for sure but I believe it's a CBS thing.

Without a doubt, I'm not the only one to have noticed this drop in picture quality - during instant replay - with almost all HD sports broadcasts. My best guess, is the stations haven't upgraded their instant replay systems to handle HD, so the video info is being saved in standard definition. Anyway, I'm sure someone here can verify this, as there must have been a thread serving this topic on AVS.
post #208 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I see the Ruby has no Low vertical lens shifting. only moves up 65%

Does the Pearl do the same thing only, or can you move the image down 65% or more?

I dont know about 65% but I am sure I can use the lens shift to move the image up or down.
post #209 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Progressive from ESPN/ABC/FOX looks the best

post #210 of 830 Old 09-17-2006, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

is that banding ('stepped' rather than smooth gradiations) in the blue background from the camera, the jpeg compression, the signal feed, or the pj?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page