Sony Diamond - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's going to use Xenon instead of UHP (Pearl) but brighter and slightly cheaper than the Ruby. Besides that it won't have substantial differences and/or improvements in comparison to Ruby. Sony is currently working on it.

- 1920x1080p 0,61-inch x3.
- Xenon.
- 8-9K MSRP.

http://www.dia-maier.de/AV-News/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have heard significantly brighter. I didn't translate the article yet.
post #3 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep it coming!
Why xenon again? A slight update would be good enough if Sony is staying with xenon.
To get brighness Sony should use a 450 CPL lamp in a Diamond projector.

Mattias Ohlson
post #4 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New Full HDTV 1920x1080 pixel SXRD projector of Sony with the code name "Diamond" much is not well-known yet, only that Sony already works on a new SXRD projector with 1920x1080 pixel and xenon lamp, although now only the announced Pearl VPL VW50 is available still not at all. The completely new one is to be offered to something under the price level like the Ruby VPL VW100. As characteristic it will possess an increased light achievement. Also a special meaning gets the topics size and noise level during the new development, but it will not give completely substantial differences and/or improvements in the comparison to the Ruby. Medium-term he will become probably the successor a straight year old VPL VW-100 then however on with the smallest chip size of 0,61Zoll as also in the Pearl. The code name of the new Sony Projectors is dia. moon (diamond) and it could be then a "Sony Diamond SXRD VPL Volkswagen XY". XY means that it is clear not yet where he into the Sony SXRD line incorporates itself exactly, but anyhow above the current Pearl VPL VW-50:
post #5 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I would say that brightness is a significant change from the Ruby especially if they use the new iris from the Pearl. Almost nothing directly competes with this as it has contrast/brightness for under $10k.
post #6 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Except for sharpness. dlp's still beat it in this important (at least for many) parameter.
post #7 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Except for sharpness. dlp's still beat it in this important (at least for many) parameter.

I call it over processed, harsh and not film like. Sort of like how people do not turn sharpness all the way to 0 because they believe it adds details, but to each their own.
post #8 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

I call it over processed, harsh and not film like. Sort of like how people do not turn sharpness all the way to 0 because they believe it adds details, but to each their own.

Yes, I certainly agree that different folks like different 'looks'; what is 'harsh' to some, is 'realistic' to others. I've had a 1080p dlp rptv for ~ a year, but am planning to go 'FP' within the nex 6-9 months; I do like the 'edgy' dlp look. I am open minded, though, and will certainly be considering the Pearl (and the Mits HC5000), along with the 1080p dlp's that come out in the next 6 months. As a number of persons have noted, it's a great time to be shopping for a projector!
post #9 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I certainly agree that different folks like different 'looks'; what is 'harsh' to some, is 'realistic' to others. I've had a 1080p dlp rptv for ~ a year, but am planning to go 'FP' within the nex 6-9 months; I do like the 'edgy' dlp look. I am open minded, though, and will certainly be considering the Pearl (and the Mits HC5000), along with the 1080p dlp's that come out in the next 6 months. As a number of persons have noted, it's a great time to be shopping for a projector!

I used to own a Samsung DLP tv. I admit at first I was iffy on the Ruby. It took me a few days and mostly movie watching to win me over. I believe LCOS really looks film-like, but I respect that others do not agree.

My point in this thread was that the Diamond will have high contrast and high brghtness. Most if not all projectors have 1, but not both characteristics.
post #10 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

After doing direct A/B comparisons with SXRD and DLP (both 1080p), I believe that "soft" really is not a perfect description for describing LCOS compared to DLP. I believe a better term is "smooth", as LCOS has a smoothness to it that DLP definitely does not have. But to say that LCOS is not sharp, I do not think is accurate. The SXRD actually appeared to be resolving more detail than the 1080p DLP (Samsung), and it certainly did not appear to lack sharpness.

This coming from a current DLP fan/owner.
post #11 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I wonder if this unit is destined to be Sony's answer to JVC's HD-New? And I wonder how far apart the release of both projectors will be.
post #12 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Andrew and Rob, thanks much for the comments. As said, I'm certainly keeping an open mind, and I'm confident that both of you have more experience than I. I'm planning to be at the CES this Jan (already have registered!), so will be spending 2 days looking at these things to try to come to a conclusion as to what to get by next spring/summer (or fall, as it often seems to turn out!). I've been thinking that it would be one of the 1-chip dlp's (Optoma, Infocus, or Samsung, if the latter two come out with a good product), but I'm certainly going to be looking at the Pearl and JVC, and the Mits 5000. I'm still a noice in FP, trying to educate myself.
post #13 of 811 Old 09-18-2006, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Andrew and Rob, thanks much for the comments. As said, I'm certainly keeping an open mind, and I'm confident that both of you have more experience than I. I'm planning to be at the CES this Jan (already have registered!), so will be spending 2 days looking at these things to try to come to a conclusion as to what to get by next spring/summer (or fall, as it often seems to turn out!). I've been thinking that it would be one of the 1-chip dlp's (Optoma, Infocus, or Samsung, if the latter two come out with a good product), but I'm certainly going to be looking at the Pearl and JVC, and the Mits 5000. I'm still a noice in FP, trying to educate myself.

Nobody ever needs to apologize for being a novice, or giving an opinion on what their eyes see! (not that you were apologizing, but it almost seems that way when you talk about being a novice or lacking in experience).

I certainly welcome your comments and perceptions as well. I am in a similar situation, hoping to upgrade my PJ by spring 2007. Much research, demo's, and reading of AVS is in my future!
post #14 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post

the information about the diamond are wrong for sure.

sony have no plan at all to come with a model above the ruby in 07.

the only way that sony change this timing is that the upcoming full hd bright 3 chip dlp will sale very good.
but with the price range of the 3 chip dlps (all above $35000) i not see high sales no.
that convince sony.

No diamond? Ha ha... I mentioned the diamond as a joke some weeks ago. Maybe someone thought it was for real and it started to spread.
post #15 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

W.Mayer
This news is talking about something replacing Ruby at a similar price level. It is talking about a brighter projector but when it says xenon I am skeptical. If it had said CPL at 400W I would be more likely to believe increased brightness.

A real next generation projector is as many know/believe slated for late next year. I exprect such a projector to have new sxrd panels bigger than 0.61. I expect lens choices. I expect close to 2000 ANSI lumen. I expect it to cost a lot more than Ruby and this rumored lateral replacement to Ruby, a diamond.

mhafner
Why do you think you are the source of this? Where does the translation that Tryg has posted come from?

A sxrd line up that makes sense
Pearl at around 5k MSRP
Improved Ruby 8-10 MSRP
Entirely new model 20k or more MSRP

Mattias Ohlson
post #16 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I would not be surprised to see a $15,000 model next year to do to the light-cannon market what their $5,000 model is doing to the "market formerly known as $10K".

The Sony critics can have their forum fun, but Pearl is going to basically outsell the entire DLP universe in the $5,000 - $15,000 category. Is it the best projector in the universe? No. But Sony has essentially delivered so much performance for the price that everything else in the 1-chip category seems almost overpriced before you even start looking at it. Optoma, Sim2, Marantz all have great stuff there, for sure, but about as many people as bought the last models from those latter companies are going to buy the new ones. All the market expansion is going to Pearl.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #17 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlson View Post

mhafner
Why do you think you are the source of this? Where does the translation that Tryg has posted come from?

Did someone use the name diamond before 08-16-06?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...nd#post8218497
post #18 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

It must be for real,
Tryg has already given details about it above.

Tryg, could you please tell us as soon as you know more.
post #19 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I only translated the information from the link in the first post.

I have NO KNOWLEDGE if this is true or not. I would trust w.mayer as a good source of Sony info.

It wont surprise me if there's a new xenon based projector that replaces the ruby and is brighter but it wont suprise me either if something else is released too!

What LCOS needs is a 2000+ lumen HT projector
post #20 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Tryg
We know Pearl exists.
We know that a truly high end sxrd projector will come eventually.
I think a Ruby mkII makes sense. I am sure little effort would be needed to launch such a product. To make it worth while it would have to be brighter than Pearl. Lets hope there is a Diamond out there capable of 1000-1200 ANSI lumen or so.

Then Sony can use their time to counter 1080p 3DLP with sxrd with brightness needed for bigger screens and light cannon lovers.

Mattias Ohlson
post #21 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Even if Ruby II were spec'ed at 2000 lumens, wouldn't one expect it to deliver only ~ 900-1000 once it's calibrated to 6500K? And then it's no brighter than the HD-81. To get to the next 'brightness plateau', one needs a pj that DELIVERS 2000 lumens after calibration.
post #22 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Even if Ruby II were spec'ed at 2000 lumens, wouldn't one expect it to deliver only ~ 900-1000 once it's calibrated to 6500K?.

Sony, starting with the Q004 has been specing their SXRD pjs much closer to calibrated specs than other vendors.
The Ruby was speced at 800 lumens. At min throw d65 calibrated( dE < 3) mine was ~710 lumens. If we take 600 lumens as a min then that is 75% after calibration. 75% of 2,000 = 1,500!

JVC has been almost spot on with their 500 lumen HD2k measuring slightly above spec calibrated! That is why a lot of people are excited by the 800 lumen spec of HD-New.
post #23 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Sony, starting with the Q004 has been specing their SXRD pjs much closer to calibrated specs than other vendors.
The Ruby was speced at 800 lumens. At min throw d65 calibrated( dE < 3) mine was ~710 lumens. If we take 600 lumens as a min then that is 75% after calibration. 75% of 2,000 = 1,500!

JVC has been almost spot on with their 500 lumen HD2k measuring slightly above spec calibrated! That is why a lot of people are excited by the 800 lumen spec of HD-New.

OK, very good; thanks.
post #24 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

New Full HDTV 1920x1080 pixel SXRD projector of Sony with the code name "Diamond" much is not well-known yet, only that Sony already works on a new SXRD projector with 1920x1080 pixel and xenon lamp, although now only the announced Pearl VPL VW50 is available still not at all. The completely new one is to be offered to something under the price level like the Ruby VPL VW100. As characteristic it will possess an increased light achievement. Also a special meaning gets the topics size and noise level during the new development, but it will not give completely substantial differences and/or improvements in the comparison to the Ruby. Medium-term he will become probably the successor a straight year old VPL VW-100 then however on with the smallest chip size of 0,61Zoll as also in the Pearl. The code name of the new Sony Projectors is dia. moon (diamond) and it could be then a "Sony Diamond SXRD VPL Volkswagen XY". XY means that it is clear not yet where he into the Sony SXRD line incorporates itself exactly, but anyhow above the current Pearl VPL VW-50:

Sure sounds like you want us to believe you have some inside knowledge.
I guess it was b.s. then.
post #25 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tryg

Then Sony can use their time to counter 1080p 3DLP with sxrd with brightness needed for bigger screens and light cannon lovers.

Yes, The Ruby and now the Pearl have done a magnificent job assualting 1 chip DLP penetration (although nobody can match DLPs branding and marketing at this point). They do really need 2000+ lumens to get the high end too. This may not happen as Sony's philosophy has always been to serve the masses. The Pearl does this. Although there are many like me that want a 2000 lumen projector I'm not sure it's worth takeing effort away from something else to Sony when they can make more profit by delivering the HIGHEST demand catagories. The only reason I see doing this for Sony is to recapture the "Sony is the best technology" in all catagories mantra
post #26 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Well if this information about a Ruby II (called whatever) is correct, that is a huge disappointment. The new JVC pj sounds like a great step over the current generation Ruby and at a lower price. So likewise with Sony already being one step ahead, I'm expecting the Ruby 2 to be available late 07 and surpass JVC but at about the same price point. Anything less than this would be a big disappointment.
post #27 of 811 Old 09-19-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

df4801
Tryg only babelfished text a bit down on the page linked to at the top of this page. You can read the original in german if you want to.

Mattias Ohlson
post #28 of 811 Old 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Any news on a potential Ruby replacement?
post #29 of 811 Old 03-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Keep it coming!
Why xenon again? A slight update would be good enough if Sony is staying with xenon.
To get brighness Sony should use a 450 CPL lamp in a Diamond projector.

If I was a Sony engineer I would have to come up with a product which would answer the challenge pose by the JVC RS1

I would replace the polarizers in the pearl with wiregrid polarizers to at least equal the contrast ratio.

I would incorporate the new HDMI 1.3 standard into the new projector.

I would use the new Perkin Elmer Xenon lamps which are supposed to have a much longer life than the older versions for two reasons

The xenon lamps have a better spectral output and although you can filter the UHP lamps to make them look like Xenon in the 1.3 broader color triangle you can't add red that is not already there

Finally the Xenon lamps have a much smaller arc which can be used with the right optics to give a better more uniform illumination

I would design a zoom lens with a lower F number which would still be well corrected. If you halve the f number you quadruple the power out without increasing the lamp power Start with a 1000 lumen projector with a 250 watt to 400 watt lamp and you would have a 4000 lumen projector

Then I would include small anamorphic prisms at the stop position internal to the lens so that you could have variable projection ratios from 4:3 to 2.35

I would also include a variable iris which could be automatic and manually controlled

I would manufacturer the complete assembly in china and sell it for 5000 dollars

I would liquid cool the lamp which is what HP does in there work stations.

Okay maybe I will charge 10,000 dollars for the unit

Next White leds
post #30 of 811 Old 03-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Even if Ruby II were spec'ed at 2000 lumens.....

At some stage LCOS must bump up against a lumen limit due to heat dissipation. LCOS chips have to absorb lamp energy when black is projected. And, with 200 W or so, high efficiency lamps, we are talking about a lot of W/cm^2. DLP on the other hand just reflects the energy to the light trap. Doesn't matter is the image is black or white. So it seems DLP's inherent lumens/chip limit should be a lot higher.

I don't know where this limit is though and if it would be a practical concern moving from, say, 1000 to 2000 lumens.

Brent
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page