The Official Sony VPL-VW50 (Pearl) Calibration/Tweak Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 622 Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad to help.

When shrapnel hits your tent, it sounds like rain...

My old AX-200 Home theater:
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc118/Sick_Puppy1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 622 Old 01-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Hi.
Hope you guys can help. Horizontal lines on my Pearl. Check out the white wall in the screen capture. Happens on all video sources. Suspect a power line noise issue. Any input as to what this might be would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

David
LL
post #603 of 622 Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkham View Post

Hi.
Hope you guys can help. Horizontal lines on my Pearl. Check out the white wall in the screen capture. Happens on all video sources. Suspect a power line noise issue. Any input as to what this might be would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

David

I'm not really sure what i am looking at in the photo but the best way to rule out power line issues is to try another power source -- another circuit or better a different location, like a friend's home.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #604 of 622 Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM

I second that, what exactly are we looking at here?

When shrapnel hits your tent, it sounds like rain...

My old AX-200 Home theater:
http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc118/Sick_Puppy1/
post #605 of 622 Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 PM

It is a striping of horizontal lines most visible in the white wall area of the screen capture. Happens on all video sources. I have tried the projector on other circuits in the home but not at another house. Before I got the Pearl, I purchased a Mitsubishi projector and it had the same problem so I doubt its the projector. I'm attaching a crop of the screen capture that hopefully will show the lines more. Would a power line filter help with this situation?

BTW, thanks for replying. I've been to other forums looking for answers and AVS is the first to actually help.
LL
post #606 of 622 Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkham View Post

It is a striping of horizontal lines most visible in the white wall area of the screen capture. Happens on all video sources. I have tried the projector on other circuits in the home but not at another house. Before I got the Pearl, I purchased a Mitsubishi projector and it had the same problem so I doubt its the projector. I'm attaching a crop of the screen capture that hopefully will show the lines more. Would a power line filter help with this situation?

BTW, thanks for replying. I've been to other forums looking for answers and AVS is the first to actually help.

Wow I can't hardly see s*** in that screen capture either. However, if you the same problem with a different projector, and you have the same problem on a different circuit, that's very telling.

Did you try a different source and HDMI cable and different power cord and different outlet? And you still have the problem?

If you have another TV or display, do you see the problem there, too?

----

Definitely try a different house altogether and see if that solves it. Before you start applying solutions, you really want to make sure you know what the problem is.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #607 of 622 Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Can any Pearl experts help me with this one?

About a week ago, I turned on my Pearl to discover the attached image.

I no longer see the on-screen menu, and this image appears on all inputs (cycling inputs manually from the button on the projector itself).

I took the unit to the authorized repair center, and they indicated that I need to replace both the Q and C boards (sounds odd), at a cost of $1140.

Anyone have any thoughts?
LL
post #608 of 622 Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Now that I have my theater "set up" and testing, I am noticing my Pearl (1300 hrs in service, 3 hrs on a new lamp), I am noticing my blacks (IRE 0) aren't really "black" anymore, but have a slight push of blue that I can't dial out, either in the user menu, or my limited knowledge of the service menu.

Because this is a new theater for me and the Pearl has been boxed up since we moved in 2009, I'm not sure what the issue is. I do have a new HP screen though. I am very surprised though in the elevation of black level I'm seeing...things look a bit washed out. I didn't think an HP screen would do that (I came from a Carada BW). I'm roughly calibrated, low lamp mode, etc.

Am wondering if I need to hire out an ISF calibrator, look to repair, or bite the bullet and get another projector.
post #609 of 622 Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

I'm quite sure that the combination of new bulb and HP screen is making this issue more visible.

If you do have "blue" black, you can first try to dial back the Blue Panel Driver in the Service Menu. Just do it as an experiment to see if that will balance the "color" of black.

It works for me.

As for the wash-out, that sounds like it might be a gamma issue. You most likely had it calibrated for the Brilliant White screen. The High Power is a different animal and will surely require a new gamma curve.
post #610 of 622 Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks "Doc"

I've already looked at the panel driver and that did absolutely nothing. I'll have to check the gamma though...just have to find the image director software (and serial cable...and USB adapter).

Ed
post #611 of 622 Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Panel Driver did nothing, eh?

Sounds like it might be the polarizer or panel. Not a fun read, but informative...HERE
post #612 of 622 Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Doc,

Yeah, I thought about that as well, but the blue is so uniform, I feel it has to be something else.

Trying to find my software. I'm hoping there's an ISO download somewhere.

Thanks
Ed
post #613 of 622 Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure which version you need for the vw50, but shoot me a PM if you don't come up with anything. I've got 3.0.
post #614 of 622 Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks. Looks like v2.1 works just fine with it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be taking the blue out of a neutral black image.
post #615 of 622 Old 03-11-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Two questions please guys:

1) Has anyone been able to get the Image Director software to work under Windows 7 64 bit?

2) Does anyone know if Image Director 3 will work with the VW50?

Thanks!
post #616 of 622 Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Hoping there are some old Pearl owners out there, or some people with ideas on how to source a polarizer/mirror....

My VW50 has about 3700 hours on it, and over the last few hundred has really developed a bad blue wash. I adjusted it all I could, but yesterday just looked at the dark blue where all the black should be, and said enough. Downloaded the service manual, pulled it all the way apart, and believe I have the problem in sight. As you'd guess, it is some kind of blue channel polarizer which has obviously expired. It looks to me like it's either a piece of polarizing glass over a mirror, or a polarized mirror. It definitely doesn't look like the classic transmissive polarizer to me. There is another similar mirror(?) on the other side that feeds both red and green. That one looks a little off colored but I'd need to pull it out to be sure. It could be a reflection, I'm not sure.

I am open to suggestion on how to proceed. The piece of glass looks to be held in with two tiny phillips head screws top and bottom. The ones at the bottom look difficult to get to. I thought I'd stop here before I wreck anything, as I'm at the edge of my knowledge on these things.

In this picture I've shown my idea of roughly how the light is routed. The obviously bad mirror is the yellow line. The questionable mirror is the pale blue line. Clear mirrors are white lines. The colored blocks at the base of the ribbon cables are the LCDs. It appears there are semi transmissive mirrors at 45 degrees, in front of each of them, I am guessing. (Click for bigger)
th_lightpath_zpsfc903063.jpg

This is the unedited version.
th_DSC00236_zps4b7c7ebb.jpg

Here are two shots of the blue side polarizer. The centre assembly (looks like a plastic X) screws in at the bottom, so I guess it lifts out. It looks to have two pins in slots indicating that it may be a pain to get back in correctly.
th_DSC00228_zps452973c6.jpg th_DSC00234_zps9afaf70f.jpg

Here is the other polarizer, which is questionable
th_DSC00231_zps0bc012fe.jpg
post #617 of 622 Old 07-28-2013, 06:29 AM

OK I have gone a step further and pulled the center block out. I don't think those are polarizers at all. It looks like they are just a series of dichroic mirrors. That yellow blotchy looking one reflects perfect blue images when held to the light. The blotchy appearance is actually the metal housing behind it. When the light is bright on the front side, no more blotchy image.

So now I don't know what was causing my blue wash, and I can't find the polarizers at all. My guess is they are inside the SXRD blocks. All of the other pieces of flat glass appear to just be pieces of flat glass. I can't find anything polarized.

My guess is maybe the blue SXRD panel was going, and can't achieve full light absorption.
post #618 of 622 Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have about 6000 hours on my VPL-VW50 (Pearl) projector. About 1300 hours on the current lamp. Nothing wrong with picture (i.e. uniformity, tint, streaks, lines, etc---it is A OK!).

I have noticed that when I enter the Service Mode, all of a sudden, the projector's blue screen switches to noticeably brighter (and punchier) looking, and the menu also shows in bright and punchy colors. However when I exit the service mode (and enter back into "User Mode"), the blue screen falls back to the dull looking not so bright and menu items also show in dim colors. The difference in screen brightness between both modes is startling. Does anyone have any insight as to what might be causing it. I have the projector's power save mode turned off and it is running in full power. As to color/picture mode, it is in standard Cinema setting. Can I run the projector in "Service Mode" all the time because the brightness was so much better? If not, any ideas on improving brightness in regular user mode?

Thanks much.
post #619 of 622 Old 08-17-2013, 07:59 PM

right,Painted ultra matte (Fog = the Color) with the smoothest rollers I could get, AKA no screen texture,thanks kec8
post #620 of 622 Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM

I've recently acquired this projector from my father whose living arrangements have changed. I've spent a lot of time calibrating this replacement for my previous VPL-VW10HT.

I also have the issue of bluish blacks. At all IRE levels there's an ellipse of normal-looking color response, surrounded by a bluish ring, surrounded by normal color, then bluish corners. The bottom of the image (table mount) is also bluer than the top.

Any luck fixing it Miles B?

Edit: From my research, it looks like it's not economical to repair these projectors. These early SXRD models aren't going to last and there's nothing I can do to stop the progression.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1172164/sxrd-ages-badly

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436366/sony-lcos-panel-degradation-5-yrs-constant-use

The VPL-VW10HT was pink in the upper-left corner so it had uniformity issues as well.

I'd better start saving up for a single chip DLP or, given futher research into reliability, a D-ILA projector. JVC claims their LCoS implementation will last longer but I have my doubts.

Hopefully the VW-50 will make it at least a year or two before the uniformity problem gets bad enough for me to justify its replacement.

post #621 of 622 Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi guys,

Bumping this thread with a bit of a long-shot. I just got my hands on a very clean, used VW50 in unknown condition. I already have an RS45 in my theater, so this isn't for me; I just thought I'd scratch my toy itch a little, play around with the VW50 for fun, then sell it or give it away. The problem is, it came with no lamp/housing. :roll eyes:

I don't want to buy a $300 lamp not knowing the projector's state, and I don't want to buy a $100 junk generic lamp assembly only to have it fail or if the projector is a problem, not know if it's the lamp or projector. So, I thought I'd post and see if somebody happened to have a couple of spare OEM lamps on the shelf in known-good condition, with perhaps a thousand hours on them, that maybe wouldn't mind letting go of one of them. I'd be happy to pay a mutually fair price to take it off your hands.

Thanks!

Cheers,
SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #622 of 622 Old 03-15-2014, 06:52 PM

Just set up my projector, my top corners are wider than my lower ones. How can I adjust this? I went into the lens area but that just let me zoom, focus, and move my screen. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw50 Sxrd 1080p Home Theater Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page