Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1603 Old 12-27-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Illya,
Thanks for the background. You wouldn't see any improvement in resolution, but I have to admit that the blacks and contrast and lack of pixel structure forced me to keep the TW1000 and sell the TW700. But it was a tough call. I would surely have been happy with the TW700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 06:49 AM

Liked: 14
jacksonian,

So did you resolve the auto-iris problem or has it begun its trip over seas?
post #363 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagercola View Post

jacksonian,

So did you resolve the auto-iris problem or has it begun its trip over seas?

Funny you should ask. I shipped it last Friday and it was received Tuesday (was supposed to be Monday I think, but customs held it up). They just sent me an email an hour ago saying that it had been replaced with a new projector and they were ready to ship it back right now. I sent them the shipping fee PayPal, so hopefully it will be back home early next week!

So that should be just about 10 days actual time round trip for service. Not bad to Japan in my book.

Crap, now I have to get my carpenter to re-design my projector box real quick so I can get it mounted! Yay, good problems!
post #364 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

Funny you should ask. I shipped it last Friday and it was received Tuesday (was supposed to be Monday I think, but customs held it up). They just sent me an email an hour ago saying that it had been replaced with a new projector and they were ready to ship it back right now. I sent them the shipping fee PayPal, so hopefully it will be back home early next week!

So that should be just about 10 days actual time round trip for service. Not bad to Japan in my book.

Crap, now I have to get my carpenter to re-design my projector box real quick so I can get it mounted! Yay, good problems!

Outstanding! Glad to hear it

Here is a subjective question...given how the TW1000 looks on your type & size of screen, do you *feel* it would have enough lumens (when using your preferred dark Theatre mode) for a 113" image? For you, does the image brightness have some extra headroom or do you feel that you wouldn't go any bigger than your current 106" screen? I ask only because we have very similar setups, environment, and viewing tastes.

Thanks again for all of your time, work and valuable input. All the best to you and your family in the New Year.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #365 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed about a year ago there's was a lot of hoopla about native 1080 Plasma/LCD screens at a premium cost and consumers/reviewers were not seeing a real benefit- it all boiled down to the screen size and viewing distance. Same thing as far as resolution goes in the native 720 vs 1080 projection debate; it shouldn't be an issue for most people unless they make the projection screen too big and/or sit too close.

With the correct mathematical calculation of size and distance any projected image from 480 to 4K (or more or less), could conceivably look the same to the human eye. The sized of the screen/immersive viewing experience would NOT be the same, but the amount of perceived detail would be.

But Ilya, the thing is, if you want to recreate the cinema-feel at your home with 2.35:1 movies (cinemascope), you will have to sit closer than 1.5X the screen width (you always sit closer than 1.5X at the cinema). To sit that close and still see a smooth image, you'll have to go to 1080 projectors.
post #366 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair View Post

Outstanding! Glad to hear it

Here is a subjective question...given how the TW1000 looks on your type & size of screen, do you *feel* it would have enough lumens (when using your preferred dark Theatre mode) for a 113" image? For you, does the image brightness have some extra headroom or do you feel that you wouldn't go any bigger than your current 106" screen?

I definitely think the TW1000 has enough lumens even in Theater Black mode for a 113" picture (now remember I'm using minimum throw distance--the shortest distance that you can project an image that big--so that helps).

If I *could* go bigger, I probably would. 106" at 12 feet is great. But I'd love to go 120". But I don't think I have a) the throw distance (room's only 15 feet deep) and b) I'd have to completely change my room and get rid of the Salamander cabinets at the front of the room under the screen.

I have a 1.1 gain gray screen (Da-Lite HCCV). I've really been toying with the idea lately of going with a High Power screen, even though my ceiling mount wouldn't get the maximum benefit from it. I've ordered a sample of High Power just to see if it makes a big difference. I'm kind of hoping it doesn't. Because if it does, I'm going to want to do it and my wife's going to want to kill me.

Definitely if you can use a higher gain screen like a 1.3 or more, you could use the Epson for a much bigger screen.

If no one does a review soon, I might have to buy a light meter just to see what the TW1000 is really putting out. But it definitely seems quite bright.
post #367 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush View Post

But Ilya, the thing is, if you want to recreate the cinema-feel at your home with 2.35:1 movies (cinemascope), you will have to sit closer than 1.5X the screen width (you always sit closer than 1.5X at the cinema). To sit that close and still see a smooth image, you'll have to go to 1080 projectors.

I agree with that 100%. I find myself wanting to sit closer or go bigger, and the 1080p really lets you do that with a complete absence of pixel structure.
post #368 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I definitely think the TW1000 has enough lumens even in Theater Black mode for a 113" picture (now remember I'm using minimum throw distance--the shortest distance that you can project an image that big--so that helps).

If I *could* go bigger, I probably would. 106" at 12 feet is great. But I'd love to go 120". But I don't think I have a) the throw distance (room's only 15 feet deep) and b) I'd have to completely change my room and get rid of the Salamander cabinets at the front of the room under the screen.

I have a 1.1 gain gray screen (Da-Lite HCCV). I've really been toying with the idea lately of going with a High Power screen, even though my ceiling mount wouldn't get the maximum benefit from it. I've ordered a sample of High Power just to see if it makes a big difference. I'm kind of hoping it doesn't. Because if it does, I'm going to want to do it and my wife's going to want to kill me.

Definitely if you can use a higher gain screen like a 1.3 or more, you could use the Epson for a much bigger screen.

If no one does a review soon, I might have to buy a light meter just to see what the TW1000 is really putting out. But it definitely seems quite bright.

Thanks Jacksonian, that was I was hoping to hear

post #369 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 07:37 PM

Wow, now that Epson released the TW1000 in japan for less than $3,000, the low end price for 1080p has dropped. The MItsubishi HC5000 and the Panasonic AE1000 now sell for under $3,000. Every 1080p projector I see advertised there is considerably cheaper except for the Pearl which still commands a higher price.

Its almost insane to buy a US 1080p projector from Mitsubishi, Panasonic, or Epson after seeing how fast and easy they droped their prices. Wonder what the JVC will sell at when it is out. No doubt, a $3k 1080p released here would have the same effect. The sooner the better.
post #370 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey dude! Glad to hear Epson Japan is living up to it's excellent reputation. That was amazingly fast too.

Over the past holiday week we've had lots of friends and family over watching movies. They've all be floored by seeing the 810 in action. My cousin wants to buy one. I told him about the Japan imports but he has a really low tolerance for risk despite being an airline pilot, go figure.

I'm toying around with the idea of selling him mine(which he said he would jump on in a minute) and move up to the jpn import TW1000. Nothing definite yet, but I'd be able to get the TW1000 for the same money i'd sell him my 810 for. Hmmmmm. You know... it's that disease many of us on AVS have...'upgraditis'.
Now that Epson japan did you right, I'm even more impressed with them. It's hard to resist the temptation.

On another note, my wife got me a Toshiba HD-A2 for xmas, she's a doll...my wife I mean. Hooked up to the 810 the A2 is most impressive. HD is simply stunningly nice on it. Was surprised that the A2 does such great job upscaling SD to the 810 too.

Joe
post #371 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post

Hey dude! Glad to hear Epson Japan is living up to it's excellent reputation. That was amazingly fast too.

Yeah, good to know it's a company worldwide policy to give good service!

Quote:

I'm toying around with the idea of selling him mine(which he said he would jump on in a minute) and move up to the jpn import TW1000. Nothing definite yet, but I'd be able to get the TW1000 for the same money i'd sell him my 810 for. Hmmmmm. You know... it's that disease many of us on AVS have...'upgraditis'.
Now that Epson japan did you right, I'm even more impressed with them. It's hard to resist the temptation.

Looks like it's about $65 cheaper now than when I bought a few weeks ago. I'd check with Superfly77 and see if he could get you one with the international warranty at a good price. I ended up paying $279 round trip air fare to Japan for mine, so I just figured that into my total cost.

It is tough to pass up the 1080p at that price. You'd sacrifice just a little bit of lumens for a completely smooth pixel free picture at just about any distance and the better blacks.

Plus, you could help me tweak mine! Come on, I need at least ONE other person in the country to share tips with!
post #372 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jacksonian.......

Remember that the HP screen gain not only falls off with vertical angles due to your ceiling mount, but also horizontally...

I was thinking about purchasing the HP as it does a great job for the price... during my "shootout" experience with the Pearl and HD-81. We were viewing a 133" HP in a "bat-cave" at about 13' from the screen.... and the full force of the gain was only available for the width of a 3 person couch.... move outside that couch and the lumens fell off dramatically!

If you come up with some lumen numbers they would certainly be interesting!

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #373 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I know about the limited viewing cone. Horizontally it's ok for 95% of our viewing, just me and my wife in the sweet spot. I'm more worried about the vertical with my ceiling mount.

I've ordered a sample to see if I can tell how it would look. But I'll probably stick with what I have. The hassle of taking down the Cosmo Electrol and putting up a new one and explaining to the wife why I'm doing all that and getting rid of a perfectly good screen probably isn't worth it.
post #374 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Jacksonian.......

Remember that the HP screen gain not only falls off with vertical angles due to your ceiling mount, but also horizontally...

I was thinking about purchasing the HP as it does a great job for the price... during my "shootout" experience with the Pearl and HD-81. We were viewing a 133" HP in a "bat-cave" at about 13' from the screen.... and the full force of the gain was only available for the width of a 3 person couch.... move outside that couch and the lumens fell off dramatically!

If you come up with some lumen numbers they would certainly be interesting!

Steve, is the HP's cone really that narrow ? I figure a 3 seater is about 80" wide so on a 133" screen, that sounds pretty like a very narrow cone.

I was thinking of getting an HP also. I've gotten really used the bright higher lumen pic on the 810 and being able to have a hockey game on with some lights on during a card game with the guys is a great thing.

If I do decide to go 1080p, the Epson is my best and brightest bet of the current crop. I was hoping that the combo of the TW1000 and the HP would do the trick.

What other high gain screens should we be considering ? Preferably angular reflective for a ceiling mount.
post #375 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Plus, you could help me tweak mine! Come on, I need at least ONE other person in the country to share tips with!

Yah yah as if my inner voice nagging at me isn't enough. I'll see if Supa can get the HK version of the TW1000 with int'l wrnty.
post #376 of 1603 Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve, is the HP's cone really that narrow ? I figure a 3 seater is about 80" wide so on a 133" screen, that sounds pretty like a very narrow cone.

I was thinking of getting an HP also. I've gotten really used the bright higher lumen pic on the 810 and being able to have a hockey game on with some lights on during a card game with the guys is a great thing.

If I do decide to go 1080p, the Epson is my best and brightest bet of the current crop. I was hoping that the combo of the TW1000 and the HP would do the trick.

What other high gain screens should we be considering ? Preferably angular reflective for a ceiling mount.

Unfortunately I do not fib...... the cone is that narrow... I think the sweetspot was reported on the HP to be about a 7.5 degree cone. If it works in your room it is a terrific screen, but very limited.

I have tried a Draper 2.5 gain, but felt it shifted the color too much.

The Vutec SilverStar is the only screen I know of that has a lot of gain and a wide viewing angle. It's max size is 121."

Goo reports thier CRT White to have a 1.8 gain, but I have not seen it evaluated by a "reliable" group.... it is reported to have perfect color, but I cannot guarantee the gain.

Vutec and Carada both have screens with a 1.4 reported gain... the Carada is the value leader in professional screens.

Optima makes a GreyWolf2 screen in 120" diag and it is quite in-expensive, but it is also retro-reflective like the HP.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
post #377 of 1603 Old 12-30-2006, 07:06 AM

Hey Guys, I've followed most of this post but with 300+ posts, I might have missed one.

What is this HP screen you are talking about?

Where have people in the US been getting these Epson TW700 projectors from?

It sounds like a perfect product - A bit brighter than the Z5, with less screendoor, but not on the blurvision side like the panasonic, and (hopefully) less money.

-Jack
post #378 of 1603 Old 12-30-2006, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

HP is a High Power screen from Da-Lite, it has a really high gain like 2.8 I think, so it's very bright. Read more here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...02#post9311702

As for where to get one, you have to import from a source. I'll send you a PM with your choices.
post #379 of 1603 Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Ceiling mount ruled out the HP for me, and I need a retractable so Carada was out.

I tried the graywolf but we both found the pebble pattern distracting. Also, the case is super-cheap (softer than a rain gutter) and the shipping packaging is total carp. UPS bent it so the case was dented upon arrival. I sent it back and invested in a Firehawk screen, which works great for my room.
post #380 of 1603 Old 12-31-2006, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemcr View Post

Ceiling mount ruled out the HP for me,

I keep reading conflicting opinions on this. Obviously, you won't get the max 2.8 gain, but some say you still get a respectable 1.8-2.0 gain. I got a couple of small samples to try when my pj gets back.
post #381 of 1603 Old 01-01-2007, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Jacks.........

The cone is pretty narrow... one of the real techie guys here on avs I think it might have been Jason (daGame Pimp) up in Washington State (not AVS Jason) did some measurements with the HP screen and it falls off to below 1.0 gain at about 15 degrees if I remember the numbers correctly.

If your setup will fit with it's capabilities it is a terrific screen.... but like all "good deals" it does have some limitations.

post #382 of 1603 Old 01-01-2007, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I think the TW1000 will be back tomorrow and I have the little samples they sent. I'll stick them up there just to see. But I really don't want to change my screen out.
post #383 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 03:14 AM

Jacks..

Sorry if this has been asked previously. I understand that the TW1000 has a certified HDMI 1.3 connector. Any chance that you have tested this pj with a PS3 to determine if there is any diff in picture quality with the supposed Deep Colour support that 1.3 offers.
post #384 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Deep color source material is not yet on the market so he can not test that yet. Playstation 3 video games are likely to be the first source.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #385 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

any reviews out on this pj?
post #386 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Haven't seen any yet. It's still really new overseas and not even released yet here in the US so it may be awhile unless Cine4home does one.
post #387 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haven't seen any yet. It's still really new overseas and not even released yet here in the US so it may be awhile unless Cine4home does one.

jacksonian, Do you know if there is an English language manual on line for this unit?

Best
Ray
post #388 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The new TW-1000 arrived today. An 11 day turnaround with Christmas and New Year's in there, so not bad I would say!

Ray,
Haven't found an English manual for the TW1000 yet, been using the TW700 manual as most things are the same. It should be up on the Epson Hong Kong site soon.

Joe_Black, you're the master of finding those things, have you seen it posted anywhere?
post #389 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The new TW-1000 arrived today. An 11 day turnaround with Christmas and New Year's in there, so not bad I would say!

Awesome news, if you were happy with the contrast/blacks without engaging the AI then you should be in for a pleasant surprise

post #390 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

So what's the situation with the auto-iris now? And what's your impression of the new pj?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page