Epson EMP-TW1000 1080p LCD HDMI1.3 - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1603 Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry guys, haven't even had a chance to fire her up yet. Was too busy watching my Deacs lose in a valiant struggle to Louisville.

I'll try to get it on tomorrow evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1603 Old 01-03-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Jacksonian, please don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much positive my tiredness is affecting my reasoning skills, but still, could it be possible, that in your post above, you were in some vague way insinuating about a remote possibility that maybe there is a chance that there is something more important in your life today, than to fire up the TW1000, and provide yourself and us the so much awaited head to head comparison between the TW1000 and TW700, with dynamic iris on ?.

Again, I'm positive you have no shred of the above thinking in your mind, and tomorrow when I'll read my post I'll laugh that I even had to ask such silly and trivial question. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation to the short delay we are experiencing with your review, something along the lines of a huge meteorite hitting your state killing millions, or else maybe the moon came out of orbit in a straight trajectory to the sun... but let's face it, it must be something bigger...(I'm turning on CNN now to find out).
post #393 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 01:47 AM

Dear jacksonian

do you have any possibility to check whether the TW1000 will do 24 and / or 48 fps support?

I am very interested in that and I am also considering to get one from Japan because the german price will be some 4,600.- EUR or so

Can you recommend any special dealer?

Thanks for your excellent presentation and I am looking forward to your next posts!

jo-1
post #394 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 03:38 AM

Welcome Jo-1. Nice to see you here.

@Jacksonian: Looking forward to your next review and set of tests.
post #395 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush View Post

Jacksonian, please don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much positive my tiredness is affecting my reasoning skills, but still, could it be possible, that in your post above, you were in some vague way insinuating about a remote possibility that maybe there is a chance that there is something more important in your life today, than to fire up the TW1000, and provide yourself and us the so much awaited head to head comparison between the TW1000 and TW700, with dynamic iris on ?.

Can't speak for him, but I'd be too busy watching movies to post any more Besides, I believe he no longer has the TW700 for direct comparison...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #396 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

The new TW-1000 arrived today. An 11 day turnaround with Christmas and New Year's in there, so not bad I would say!

Ray,
Haven't found an English manual for the TW1000 yet, been using the TW700 manual as most things are the same. It should be up on the Epson Hong Kong site soon.

Joe_Black, you're the master of finding those things, have you seen it posted anywhere?

Wow very cool, 11 days replacement turnaround from Japan to the States during Xmas holidays is very impressive. nice.

Did a quick search, but nothing turned up on the TW1000 owners manual online. I'm guessing that since it's really only available/released in Japan so far, it'll be a little while before an english version gets posted somewhere.

So how's your new baby (TW1000)?

Joe
post #397 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Ran it for a couple of hours last night and everything seems fine. Getting my new box put up Saturday am so I'll have it installed good then, for now I just have it on a table.

I'm trying to figure out how to calibrate this thing. There are settings for skin tone, color temperature, color saturation, and advanced settings for RGB and even another one with a bunch of letters. Where do you start?

I think I need the Google/Picasa version of a projector "I'm feeling lucky"!
post #398 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Well start with the basics before playing with any advanced bells and whistles. With the DI ON adjust your brightness, contrast & sharpness with Avia. If you also have the avia blue filter handy adjust the color and tint settings (pretty easy the until the hue and saturation boxes stop flashing when looking thru a blue filter).

Then you have the choice to adjust and play with a few more bells and whistles to see what each one does by eye and see how you personally prefer impact to the image, or you can go further technical.

If you want to have some fun (if you consider this fun, some don't) playing around and learning some neat stuff at the same time get yourself a Spyder2 sensor by Colorvision (can be had real cheap for about 65-80$ get the Spyder2 Express package). Then head over to the calibration forum and start reading on all the free great calibration software that's flying around in there like HCFR and Calman among others.

It's pretty simple, place the Spyder2 sensor on a camera tripod (you can buy a special sensor mount for the spyder2 $10). The Spyder2 plugs into your laptop's usb port. You can run some of the different software off the forum to have the sensor take various readings like grey scale D65 color accuracy with nice fancy charts and so on. This gives you good snapshot and sense of what the projector is doing in what modes before even making any serious adjustments. For all you know it might already be very well calibrated, but at least now you'll have the graphs to know it. Honestly for a $80 total cost of getting the sensor, not much to lose and lots to learn. Depends on you really.

We're pretty lucky, up until a short time ago very few of us had access to tools and software like this unless we were in position to spend thousands of dollars on it.

Colorvision also has a SpyderTV Pro kits which essentially includes the same Sypder2 sensor as in the Express, but also gives you the software and hand holding wizards for calibrating your TV or FP, but that's a 600$ package. The software found in the calibration forum is just as good, but a little rough around the edges in that they don't have shiny little wizards telling you what to do step by step.

Joe
post #399 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post

Well start with the basics before playing with any advanced bells and whistles. With the DI ON adjust your brightness, contrast & sharpness with Avia. If you also have the avia blue filter handy adjust the color and tint settings (pretty easy the until the hue and saturation boxes stop flashing when looking thru a blue filter).

Then you have the choice to adjust and play with a few more bells and whistles to see what each one does by eye and see how you personally prefer impact to the image, or you can go further technical.

If you want to have some fun (if you consider this fun, some don't) playing around and learning some neat stuff at the same time get yourself a Spyder2 sensor by Colorvision (can be had real cheap for about 65-80$ get the Spyder2 Express package). Then head over to the calibration forum and start reading on all the free great calibration software that's flying around in there like HCFR and Calman among others.

It's pretty simple, place the Spyder2 sensor on a camera tripod (you can buy a special sensor mount for the spyder2 $10). The Spyder2 plugs into your laptop's usb port. You can run some of the different software off the forum to have the sensor take various readings like grey scale D65 color accuracy with nice fancy charts and so on. This gives you good snapshot and sense of what the projector is doing in what modes before even making any serious adjustments. For all you know it might already be very well calibrated, but at least now you'll have the graphs to know it. Honestly for a $80 total cost of getting the sensor, not much to lose and lots to learn. Depends on you really.

We're pretty lucky, up until a short time ago very few of us had access to tools and software like this unless we were in position to spend thousands of dollars on it.

Colorvision also has a SpyderTV Pro kits which essentially includes the same Sypder2 sensor as in the Express, but also gives you the software and hand holding wizards for calibrating your TV or FP, but that's a 600$ package. The software found in the calibration forum is just as good, but a little rough around the edges in that they don't have shiny little wizards telling you what to do step by step.

Joe

I have a friend that recently got the SpyderTV non-pro and it didn't have FP listed on the box. I guess then it would work with third-party software. I'll have to give it a shot.
post #400 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagercola View Post

I have a friend that recently got the SpyderTV non-pro and it didn't have FP listed on the box. I guess then it would work with third-party software. I'll have to give it a shot.

Jager,
All colorvision's packages come with the same Spyder2 sensor. I suggested the cheapest (Spyder2 Express for 75$) and then use the free calibration software supported on the forum instead.

SpyderTV is for calibrating TVs only and priced with the sensor at around 199. SpyderTV Pro adds FP calibration, but at $600 a little too pricey.

For $75 for the Express it's fun and cheap way to get your feet wet and fine tune your projector at the same time.
post #401 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Joe. I bought DVE, is AVIA better? You know, I might still have AVIA around somewhere come to think of it.

So would you set the color temp to 6500 before everything else? And how would someone like me know how to adjust those advanced settings, or should those be left to ISF guys?
post #402 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
jacksonian-

I don't remember if you said how big your screen is, but if it is 92" diagonal or larger, could you test your TW1000 at maximum wide zoom from 9 feet away (108" from lens to screen) and tell me how big an image you can get, while your projector is still not mounted? I would love to know if it would work well in a small theater room like mine. Thanks.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #403 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

jacksonian-

I don't remember if you said how big your screen is, but if it is 92" diagonal or larger, could you test your TW1000 at maximum wide zoom from 9 feet away (108" from lens to screen) and tell me how big an image you can get, while your projector is still not mounted? I would love to know if it would work well in a small theater room like mine. Thanks.

I'll try and check tomorrow night. My screen is 106" and right now it's sitting on a table at about 10'.
post #404 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Joe. I bought DVE, is AVIA better? You know, I might still have AVIA around somewhere come to think of it.

So would you set the color temp to 6500 before everything else? And how would someone like me know how to adjust those advanced settings, or should those be left to ISF guys?

DVE is just fine. It's a little less structured to navigate than AVIA but serves the same purpose. Don't forget to turn the iris on if it's not already tho Power to the lamp is also controlled by the DI algo so for the max benefit in CR and brightness DI should be on.

I would leave everything else where it is and get the Spyder2 sensor and try it out if you're going that route. That way you'd be able to report how well (or not) it was calibrated out of the box. If you change a whole bunch of things we'll never know.

If you do want to play around you could always reset everything back to factory reset too I suppose. No harm really. Just have fun with it. You have a nice projector. In fact I think you're the only one I know who has one.

Look at you! you're cutting edge dude.

You should get a bumper sticker that says
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Joe
post #405 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

jacksonian-

Chris you can also use the projector calc at projectorcentral on the 810. The TW1000 has the same 2.1 Fujinon lens as the Epson 810. So the calc on the 810 will give you all the same measurements/throws.

edit: just check pjc calc

at 9' your at 88"diag
at 9'4" your at 92"diag
post #406 of 1603 Old 01-04-2007, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should get a bumper sticker that says
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Joe

Makes me think of an old Beavis & Butthead line where they were making fun of the monster truck show commercials:

"$5 buys you the whole seat...BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!"
post #407 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is there an easy way to measure light output objectively to see if there's a real benefit over the Mitsu in brightness/contrast? Specs are one thing, but the proof is in the puddin'.

If not, I think I'll get the Mitsu.

David
post #408 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

David,
To make a fair comparison, we'd need both projectors in the same room with the same equipment and that's not likely to happen anytime real soon unless someone wants to bring their Mits to my house.
post #409 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

still waiting for your review...patiently!
post #410 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Makes me think of an old Beavis & Butthead line where they were making fun of the monster truck show commercials:

"$5 buys you the whole seat...BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!"

too funny.

I'm hoping hivi picks up the TW1000 soon. If it also comes with the 2yr int'l warranty like the TW 700, it'll certainly make it very very interesting and the lowest priced, brightest 1080p with a warranty.
post #411 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

too funny.

I'm hoping hivi picks up the TW1000 soon. If it also comes with the 2yr int'l warranty like the TW 700, it'll certainly make it very very interesting and the lowest priced, brightest 1080p with a warranty.

I've contacted them about the TW1000 and they said "Epson TW1000 is not released yet."

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #412 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would also be nice if we could find an English version of the owners manual....

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #413 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'll try and check tomorrow night. My screen is 106" and right now it's sitting on a table at about 10'.

That sounds great-if you are filling your 106" screen from anywhere near 10 feet, then 92" at ~9 feet should be no problem.

Quote:

Chris you can also use the projector calc at projectorcentral on the 810. The TW1000 has the same 2.1 Fujinon lens as the Epson 810. So the calc on the 810 will give you all the same measurements/throws.

Joe-

Thanks. I did try that a while back and got the same 9.4 feet (I think jacksonian suggested the idea, in fact). What I do not know (and maybe someone here can tell me/us?) is whether the LCD panels in both models are the same size, and/or if it is possible either way to get a different throw ratio from the same lens but with two different sets of panels (as well as the other optics used with them). jacksonian's test result will be interesting, as it will address this very question.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #414 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair View Post

I've contacted them about the TW1000 and they said "Epson TW1000 is not released yet."

Yep, I think it's only available in Japan at the moment. But I suspect places like HK won't be very long now. 28 benjamins with a 2yr international Epson warranty on a 1080p is going to be a hot ticket item.

Joe
post #415 of 1603 Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 PM

Joe - which projector do you have? How valuable is the colorvision spider thing - if I get that - is there still a need for a DVE or avia test disk? What does it measure (color? Brightness?) Are there techniques for measuring the color off the screen (vs pointing the thing at the projector - as I assume a high contrast gray screen would calibrate differently than a high gain white)

It sounds like something I'd like to have (though Hopefully when I get my new PJ, I'll be so thrilled that I never use it!)

-Jack
post #416 of 1603 Old 01-06-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Joe for the tips on the Spyder2 will try today!

I've downloaded the software and patterns but is there a tutorial on just what to do with it, how to setup and run some basic tests?

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #417 of 1603 Old 01-06-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the deal with the international warranties?

So if you buy from Japan you only get a Japanese warranty and have to send it back for repairs? But if you but from HK, you get an international warranty and can get it serviced in the US (or anywhere for that matter)? More details would be appreciated...
-Matt
post #418 of 1603 Old 01-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementjack2 View Post

Joe - which projector do you have? How valuable is the colorvision spider thing - if I get that - is there still a need for a DVE or avia test disk? What does it measure (color? Brightness?) Are there techniques for measuring the color off the screen (vs pointing the thing at the projector - as I assume a high contrast gray screen would calibrate differently than a high gain white)

It sounds like something I'd like to have (though Hopefully when I get my new PJ, I'll be so thrilled that I never use it!)

hey Jack,
I have an Epson 810 (US version of the TW700).

How valuable is the Spyder2 ? Not sure what you mean by valuable. It's a great low cost tool to get you started into the world of calibration. I like the Spyder because it's popular so its supported by most of the calibration software developers on the forum. For it's price avg of $70 and free software from the calibration forum you can't go wrong and there's some good free software to play with right now. There's certainly much more expensive sensor packages on the market going into the thousands.

The spyder2 itself is a sensor that will help you find out how well calibrated your projector is for very cheap. Once you get the graphs/readings on how close your colors are tuned to D65 and a gamma of 2.2, you can make adjustments to your projector to fine tune it. Besides if you're the type to like to play with this stuff it can be fun.

Some people do take readings with the spyder directly out of the lens, but most recommend placing it on a tripod facing the screen which makes more sense to evaluate what impact your screen has on the final picture characteristics and compensate accordingly.

You'll still need a copy of Avia or DVE for setting the basic brightness, contrast, sharpness, color & tint and generating test screens for the spyder.

Best thing you can do is read up on the calibration forum. There's some really bright people in there that can enlighten you much more than I can. Try to read up on HCFR and Calman programs.

Joe
post #419 of 1603 Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT View Post

Thanks Joe for the tips on the Spyder2 will try today!

I've downloaded the software and patterns but is there a tutorial on just what to do with it, how to setup and run some basic tests?

hi JackLT, the calibration forum is the best place to learn about it. I spend a lot of time just reading in there. Lots of bright people in there ready to answer questions including the developers of the programs themselves.

Joe
post #420 of 1603 Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

While browsing Epson's HK site on the TW1000 I just realized that it looks like the HK version is going to be a black casing like the US and not white/silver Japan model !

Nice.

Epson HK TW1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjohnst
What is the deal with the international warranties?

So if you buy from Japan you only get a Japanese warranty and have to send it back for repairs? But if you but from HK, you get an international warranty and can get it serviced in the US (or anywhere for that matter)? More details would be appreciated...
-Matt
Matt, we recently discovered that the Epson TW700 projectors sold in HK thru authorized dealers come with a 2yr international warranty included. The TW1000 should carry the same warranty from HK. I got ahold of the int'l warranty papers and a few of us also contacted both Epson HK and Epson US service to confirm this. I'd still suggest you confirm this yourself before buying anything rather than rely on anything posted in the forums.

Details and the forms on the int'l wrty were posted on the TW700 thread;
here
and
here

Joe

Epson Int'l Warranty doc.pdf 313.8251953125k . file
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page