Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1603 Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post

I thought I'd decided on the TW1000, but then I decided to switch screens from the Vutec Matte White 133" 16:9 to the Da-Lite High Power 156" 2.35:1 (CH setup), and now I'm BACK TO SQUARE ONE! Now I have to decide if the TW1000 is still a better choice than the Panny PT-AE1000U.
David

David,
If I'm not mistaken, the Epson does not offer vertical scaling. I don't know about the Panasonic 1000U, since I haven't looked into it, but I think the 100 does.

If you are going the CIH route - this could be a deciding factor if you plan to add a prismatic lens one day.

Also, I wonder if you'd get enough brightness out of either projector to light a 156" screen. You'll definately want a black ceiling in that room...

-Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1603 Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush View Post

But Ilya, the thing is, if you want to recreate the cinema-feel at your home with 2.35:1 movies (cinemascope), you will have to sit closer than 1.5X the screen width (you always sit closer than 1.5X at the cinema). To sit that close and still see a smooth image, you'll have to go to 1080 projectors.

I'm not overly concerned about the difference between 1.78, 1.85 and 2.35 (really 2.40) in my own home- although, I do agree with you.

Aspect Ratio is also why motion picture professionals use the vernacular of screen "heights" rather than screen "widths" as to be more precise about viewing distance. Recommended seating distance works out to be about the same, heights are more precise for describing visible phenomenon like artifacts and what not.

I.
post #453 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Spyder2Pro has additional software for projectors whereas Spyder2 Express does not.

Somewhat informative review of Spyder2Pro at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...ro_update.html

Nice review of product catagory at
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...tion_tools.htm

Does anyone have any real experience with using Spyder2 Express vs. Spyder2Pro on projectors?

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #454 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 AM

Given that the free software HCFR from this forum is all you need (or so it seems), you can buy the Spyder2 Express as the hardware is the same.
post #455 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The Spyder2 Express also has a projector option.

It will make a XP profile for the projector, but thats of use only with the desktop PC display.
Once you use DVD software player using overlay the profile is of little use, and you would need to calibrate to the DVD software player's overlay display.

You can use the Spyder2 express hardware with the free cal software on this forum to tune your colors within the projector, but its involved, maybe the pro software makes that easier?

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #456 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I missed the post, but I am surprised not to see any posts about this new projector at CES. Anyone there see it? Thanks a million to Jacksonian for leading the way here, but we need more user/viewer reports!
post #457 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

PS: I (and no doubt others) am particularly interested in any comparisons to the new JVC projector, which I know is being displayed at CES (off-cite). If these two projectors were the same price or close, I have little doubt I would go for the JVC, but there is a big price gap here...So, the question is whether there is a really noticeable difference in picture quality. Also, the Epson, I believe, should be brighter than the JVC--indeed, may be the brightest of the new crop of 1080p digital projectors (non-DLP).
post #458 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I've seen it asked several times, but didn't see a reply yet, so I'll ask it again: can anyone confirm/deny support for stretch mode appropriate for 2.35:1 CIH (and if so, does it work over HDMI or not)?
post #459 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

Spyder2Pro has additional software for projectors whereas Spyder2 Express does not.

Somewhat informative review of Spyder2Pro at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...ro_update.html

Nice review of product catagory at
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...tion_tools.htm

Does anyone have any real experience with using Spyder2 Express vs. Spyder2Pro on projectors?

All the Colorvision Spyder packages come with the same Spyder2 sensor.

You need their SpyderTVPro software package for projectors, and at $600 it's quite pricey, considering you can get at least 2 ISF professional in home calibrations for that.

IMHO buy Spyder2Express at $65 for the sensor and start playing around with HCFR and Calman from the calibration forum. It's cheap and fun.
post #460 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I've seen it asked several times, but didn't see a reply yet, so I'll ask it again: can anyone confirm/deny support for stretch mode appropriate for 2.35:1 CIH (and if so, does it work over HDMI or not)?

Doubt it, Epson's never been big on CH, neither is the JVC.
Can't remember if the Pearl does CH stretch ?
post #461 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post

Doubt it, Epson's never been big on CH, neither is the JVC.
Can't remember if the Pearl does CH stretch ?

No, the Pearl I know for sure doesn't. Still hoping one of these new 1080p projectors will have the magic combination of CIH stretch and brightness - but none yet as far as I can tell.
post #462 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

No, the Pearl I know for sure doesn't. Still hoping one of these new 1080p projectors will have the magic combination of CIH stretch and brightness - but none yet as far as I can tell.

True, but considering in a short time we should be able to get a 1080p TW1000 for less than 28 benjamins with a 2yr wrty. That might save you enough to justify buying an external scaler to do CH and have the added benefit of being able to use it for cleaning up and upscaling SD sources as well.

Kind of like investing in a good screen, no matter how many times you change/upgrade your projector you tend to keep the same screen.

If you have an HTPC you can always use that to do your CH stretch for you also.
post #463 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 06:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post

True, but considering in a short time we should be able to get a 1080p TW1000 for less than 28 benjamins with a 2yr wrty. That might save you enough to justify buying an external scaler to do CH and have the added benefit of being able to use it for cleaning up and upscaling SD sources as well.

Kind of like investing in a good screen, no matter how many times you change/upgrade your projector you tend to keep the same screen.

If you have an HTPC you can always use that to do your CH stretch for you also.

I was thinking of getting an Xbox HD-DVD addon drive for my HTPC and use YXY to scale it. Then a HDhomerun to do cable HDTV. I don't think VLC (which the HDhomerun uses) does the stretches though.
post #464 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by basementjack2 View Post

David,
If I'm not mistaken, the Epson does not offer vertical scaling. I don't know about the Panasonic 1000U, since I haven't looked into it, but I think the 100 does.

If you are going the CIH route - this could be a deciding factor if you plan to add a prismatic lens one day.

Also, I wonder if you'd get enough brightness out of either projector to light a 156" screen. You'll definately want a black ceiling in that room...

Basementjack2, I'm planning on doing CIH via the built-in zoom lens rather than an anamorphic stretch lens. Mainly because my budget is limited by the wife (I'm barely getting the PJ, dude!).

As for the brightness, I'm perfectly happy with the brightness of my current BenQ PE8700 (1000 lumens rated) on a 133" 16:9 1.1 gain Vutec Matte White screen on movie material. Which means that once I double the gain with the High Power screen, plus a 20% brighter PJ, should mean that 156" 2.35:1 should not be too much of a stretch. And for games, for which my current setup isn't bright enough, it will actually be smaller (16:9, 125" diag), since it's a CIH setup, and therefore brighter.

David
post #465 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI 1.3 is interesting.

Has anyone experienced it and how is the result compare to the old standard HDMI?
Does it make any difference at all?
post #466 of 1603 Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagercola View Post

I was thinking of getting an Xbox HD-DVD addon drive for my HTPC and use YXY to scale it. Then a HDhomerun to do cable HDTV. I don't think VLC (which the HDhomerun uses) does the stretches though.

I agree, I'm definitely going the HTPC route with Xbox HD-DVD in the theater for my projector. My Toshiba HD-A1 is in our family room connected to our plasma.

I'm hearing good things about the latest PowerDVD and YXY using the Xbox HD drive.
This way you can scale pretty much anything and pretty much get any projector you want.
post #467 of 1603 Old 01-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

HDMI 1.3 is interesting.

Has anyone experienced it and how is the result compare to the old standard HDMI?
Does it make any difference at all?

So far there isn't anything to really take advantage of it, but down the road that will likely change...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #468 of 1603 Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess is that there won't be any source material to take advantage of 1.3 until there's already a 1.4 or later. And I also bet that most people won't be able to tell a difference even when they do. I feel pretty comfortable that I've achieved about 98% of what I'm ever going to get from a home theater. Everything from here on out is tiny fractions of improvement IMHO. There's just not much more that my eyes/brain can perceive. My plasma and pj look so close to real I can't expect much more. I know others will disagree and that's there opinion/perspective.
post #469 of 1603 Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 AM

Liked: 15
All right, Brent, I'm just going to order the light meter. An inexpensive one, but it should do the trick. I'm still researching the testing methodology, projected image vs. direct lens output, how to standardize the measurements, how to convert to lumens, etc. Have you found anything yet? I'll do a little fiddling with testing on my PE8700, then when I have some sort of method worked out with you and whoever's going to help us with measuring the Panny, I'll post the PE8700 brightness/contrast measurements for comparison and I'll ship it off to you. How does that sound?

David
post #470 of 1603 Old 01-10-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Basementjack2, I'm planning on doing CIH via the built-in zoom lens rather than an anamorphic stretch lens. Mainly because my budget is limited by the wife (I'm barely getting the PJ, dude!).

As for the brightness, I'm perfectly happy with the brightness of my current BenQ PE8700 (1000 lumens rated) on a 133" 16:9 1.1 gain Vutec Matte White screen on movie material. Which means that once I double the gain with the High Power screen, plus a 20% brighter PJ, should mean that 156" 2.35:1 should not be too much of a stretch. And for games, for which my current setup isn't bright enough, it will actually be smaller (16:9, 125" diag), since it's a CIH setup, and therefore brighter.

David

sounds great, I may do the exact same thing - not sure on dimensions yet.
I've got to clear the tops of my tower speakers so I might be limited to a 10 foot wide screen.

-Jack
post #471 of 1603 Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:

All right, Brent, I'm just going to order the light meter. An inexpensive one, but it should do the trick. I'm still researching the testing methodology, projected image vs. direct lens output, how to standardize the measurements, how to convert to lumens, etc. Have you found anything yet? I'll do a little fiddling with testing on my PE8700, then when I have some sort of method worked out with you and whoever's going to help us with measuring the Panny, I'll post the PE8700 brightness/contrast measurements for comparison and I'll ship it off to you. How does that sound?

David

What kind of lightmeter can we get and where do you buy one - I'd like one too - if for nothing else than to confirm when my bulb is getting dimmer towards its end of life.

-Jack
post #472 of 1603 Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

David

Sounds fine to me. It seems like a projected image reading would be problematic if we have different screen materials. I'll be glad to participate. I'm actually anxious to find out what the Epson is throwing.
post #473 of 1603 Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

David

Guys just as a heads up, while I think the idea is interesting, you won't really be able to accurately compare your numbers if each projector is measured in a different environment(ambient conditions) and by a different person(user variables). You can often see this when one review site reports lumens on a certain projector and then another site reports a completely different number.

More accurately would be to get the projectors in the same place and measured by the same group.

Joe
post #474 of 1603 Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Though it be of interest since they're closer to home and offer a 15 day trial, looks like eastporters just listed the TW1000 also.
post #475 of 1603 Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Jacksonian,
Where did you buy this projector from? as of now, I am unable to find a dealer in USA who stock Epson TW1000. Can you mention dealer;s name in this forum with out going against the forums policy? I would like to order this projector even if it is from over seas, will appreciate your help.
If it's not much trouble, Please post some pictures.
Thanks
post #476 of 1603 Old 01-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Liked: 14
He priced it, I mean bought it from Japan....
post #477 of 1603 Old 01-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Thanks Jagercola, I believe, there are thousands of AV dealers in Japan. So which one and where in Japan?
post #478 of 1603 Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Does anyone know of any dealers on Okinawa in Japan?

I got a list of dealers off the epson.jp website, and I have some friends living there now, but they don't speak Japanese. If I can tell them which store to go to, I think I can get them to go pick one up and send it to me.

-Jack
post #479 of 1603 Old 01-11-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRaoof View Post

Thanks Jagercola, I believe, there are thousands of AV dealers in Japan. So which one and where in Japan?

Haha, read between the lines - he gave you the answer already - the web site's name starts with price, ends with japan, and has a .com at the end
post #480 of 1603 Old 01-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Hello,

You can now order this now from any Epson dealer here in the USA. Epson will be shipping to all its dealers at end of this month. The 1080 will have a 2 year warranty, extra bulb and ceiling mount included for 5k.

rmlowz
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page