Epson EMP-TW1000 1080p LCD HDMI1.3 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1603 Old 01-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got a tracking number from P----J----, 1 day earlier than they promised! So excited. I'll give you guys an update when I have it and will compare it to my BenQ PE8700. I hope customs goes quickly... I'm hosting a Heroes marathon in two days, so I hope it's here by then!

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1603 Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Looks like I am going to be doing the same in about 10 days. Let us know how the transaction went over all for you as well please.
post #543 of 1603 Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sweet, welcome to the club!
post #544 of 1603 Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 PM

I just looked at the this pj side by side with a Pana 1000 and a few others. They were all hooked to a BD player showing Ice Age 2 on BD. Sadly, the TW1000 was connected using RGB not HDMI. The Pana was using the HDMI connection.

A few caveats first. I am in Tokyo so I could not ask questions about the set up. I did not have access to remote controls or menus of any of the pjs, so I had to view them as they were configured. I was able to touch each pj.

The Epson did not feel as solidly built as I would have preferred. I played with the focus, zoom and lens shift controls. Focus and zoom felt ok. The lens shift wheels seemed a bit loose and I was concerned that with the strong center click of each wheel, it might be difficult to set a lens shift position just a bit off center.

Of greater concern was what looked like panel mis-alignment. On vertical lines, there was very obvious green fringing on one side and purple fringing on the other. The gree fringing was more than a full pixel wide. Since I have yet to see an english language manual, I have no idea if this can be fixed easily.

Finally, the image was not as bright as I had expected. It was a bit brighter than the Pana 1000, but not as bright as the Pana AX100 next to it, although the AX100 was crushing white highlights, so it was likely not properly configured.

I'm here in Tokyo for 4 more days. If folks can convince me that what I saw was due to a badly configured or abused pj, I may still consider acquiring one. Otherwise, I will pass for now.

This is certainly not meant as a criticism of the Epson or an attack on any current or future owners. I'm just very nervous about buying a pj that may not meet my expectations.

Thanks,
Ira
post #545 of 1603 Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the comparison info Ira........

Is there any chance you can point the convergence problem out to the folks at the store and ask them to check the menu's on the TW1000 and see if there is any way to make a panel adjustment to get rid of the alignment issue?

Jacksonian..... does your unit have any convergence issues? Do your menu's offer any adjustment?

I am not surprised the TW1000 is not as bright as the AX100, especially as it sounds like the 100 was not running in a calibrated mode. I believe the "claimed" lumens for the AX100 are about 60% higher than the TW1000.

Please post any further exploits or information.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #546 of 1603 Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post

Got a tracking number from P----J----, 1 day earlier than they promised! So excited. I'll give you guys an update when I have it and will compare it to my BenQ PE8700. I hope customs goes quickly... I'm hosting a Heroes marathon in two days, so I hope it's here by then!

David

Hi David,

When all set up, let us know if this PJ is brighter than your BenQ PE8700?

How big is your screen by the way?

Thanks
Iwan

X X X Still searching for the BRIGHTEST 1080p PJ for my 134" screen . . . . . anyone ???
post #547 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Ira,
The lens shift wheel is not a problem, could be better, but I didn't have any trouble getting the image where I want.

Of course the AX100 is brighter, there's no question there, so is the Epson TW700. If you want the brightest pj out there, the TW1000 isn't it. But it's probably the brightest 1080p.

As for convergence, I have no convergence issues. Did you look at the Panasonic convergence? On the AX100, it's reportedly pretty bad at times. All 3 panel projectors will have a small amount of misconvergence, it's virtually impossible not to (read the Pearl threads, etc...).
post #548 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 AM

No price yet, but HK site (HVZ) has announced the tw1000 will come with the 2 year international warranty.
post #549 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 11:56 AM

The TW1000 was at my office when I got in this morning at 9 am. Woo-hoo! I won't get home 'til about 8 pm (PST), so I'll post late. I'm a little nervous now that people are mentioning problems, so I'll let you know. I'll also comment on the brightness relative to my PE8700.

Jacksonian, thanks for the heads up on the source. I can't wait!

David
post #550 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 AM

BTW, my Toshiba HD-A2 just arrived, too, and I already have a collection of HD-DVDs to compare A/B between the PE8700 and the TW1000.

David
post #551 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dang.. HD-DVD and a new 1080p Projector... I think I am turning green with envy here.

If your reports are positive, I think this is a done deal for me. Got any B&W content you can run on it in the next week or so?
post #552 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 PM

Been playing with this puppy for over a week now. Nice PJ. Bigger and more impressive to look at than I pictured it to be. Little on the dim side for 92" and up (not very watchable outside of high lamp mode.) Waiting for my HP screen to come in. I have found the auto Iris to be completely undetectable (not sure if that is a good thing) Slight missconvergence issue is visible on the pattern screen (red up) but not detected with normal computer (1920, 1080) or film viewing (1080p). Color and brightness uniformity seem spot on but again I am watching more than analyzing at this point. Out of the box calibration is OK in all modes but vibrant and living room, both of which are terrible. Blacks aren't as deep as I expected but I am running in high lamp so this may change. Lamp noise is fairly audible with high lamp, as is heat, and not heard for low lamp. SDE is not an issue. So far 24fps have been shown at 60fps. Have to see if any options exist to improve that. I must stop being lazy and calibrate, install linux on the PS3, run tests and take some screen shots.

Why is the factory default on many HD projectors set to overscan? With 92% unchanged the sharpness and detail of a 1080p source is destroyed.

I have used that japanese import place before and this time as well as those times the package came in three days or less.
post #553 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Dang.. HD-DVD and a new 1080p Projector... I think I am turning green with envy here.

If your reports are positive, I think this is a done deal for me. Got any B&W content you can run on it in the next week or so?

I have no B&W HD-DVD stuff, but I do have the Casablanca DVD and Citizen Kane DVDs. I'll check it out if I remember to. (I'm VERY forgetful!) What's more, I wanted the Digital Video Essentials, but it's still only available for pre-order on Amazon. I'll have to use the old standard-def DVD on the HD-DVD player (it should play, right?).

David
post #554 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 03:55 PM

I'm still amazed. P----J----'s website says 1-3 days for order processing, 1-2 days for delivery, 1-3 days for customs, and 1 day for delivery (up to 9 days!), but I got it OVERNIGHT. Impressive.

David

P.S. In my business, I've found that keeping customers happy is simply a matter of expectation management; lower their expectations, then exceed them!
post #555 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Who in the heck is P------J----????? Will someone please tell me or send PM.

Davidahn, can't wait to hear your impressions.
post #556 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick question for Epson 1000 owners:

When watching regular HD (though a Comcast HD box) and displaying the input signal information, are you seeing 1080i or 1125i?

I'm wondering if there is some kind of menu setting that I'm overlooking? The picture seems slightly soft to my eyes, and I'm wondering if some kind of scaling is going on? I seem to recall that the Japanese HD system is 1125 lines or something close to that.

Still forming very initial impressions..

Thanks!
post #557 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 07:04 PM

briandx - no difference. total number of lines vs active number of lines.
post #558 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 07:10 PM

briandx, be sure overscan is turned off (92%->100%)
post #559 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Humbert - I tried that; the problem is that I started getting garbage at the top of the picture.

My Mitsubishi had a "blanking" function as well as an overscan feature. With the Mitsu, I set overscan to 100%, but used the blanking feature to remove part of the picture both top and bottom.

Thoughts?
Brian
post #560 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, quick impressions - compared to Mitsubishi 5000 (no calibration done yet)

1) Sharpness: Mitsu 10, Epson 8.5. The sharpness of the Epson is akin to the Pearl. More filmlike, less digital-like. Edge to the Mitsu.
2) Black levels: Slight edge to the Epson
3) Noise: At high power, the Mitsu is quieter, but the Epson is not bad at all. At low power both projectors are barely audible
4) Dynamic Iris: The operation is very hard to spot but is slightly audible on the Epson. On the Mitsu, operation is noticable but completely silent. Still, BIG edge to the Epson.
5) Brightness - on my 92" screen both projectors are plenty bright. The difference is that the Epson at low lamp mode seems punchier than the Mitsu. I'm considering using this mode; on the Mitsu it was no-go from the start. Slight edge to the Epson.

Other observations on the Epson: So far perfect convergence, no banding issues that I can see, menus are well laid out (wish it had a blanking feature). Although the lens shift, zoom and focus are all manual, no big deal once you are set up properly.

More to come after I get the Epson properly calibrated and put in it's final (hopefully!) position.

Brian
post #561 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbert Humbert View Post

Been playing with this puppy for over a week now. Nice PJ...Little on the dim side for 92" and up (not very watchable outside of high lamp mode.) Waiting for my HP screen to come in.

Dim for 92" ?? That seems to go against all other reports, especially since the TW1000 is likely the brightest of the 1080p LCD's. You'd be hard pressed to find any 1080p owner running their pj with a screen smaller than 92" yet they all seem to be very happy with the brightness...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #562 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post

Quick question for Epson 1000 owners:

When watching regular HD (though a Comcast HD box) and displaying the input signal information, are you seeing 1080i or 1125i?

I'm wondering if there is some kind of menu setting that I'm overlooking? The picture seems slightly soft to my eyes, and I'm wondering if some kind of scaling is going on? I seem to recall that the Japanese HD system is 1125 lines or something close to that.

Still forming very initial impressions..

Thanks!

This was discussed extensively in the Epson 810/tw700 thread. Apparently these new Epson projectors use the non-U.S./ Asian method of showing the HD resolution in the menus.

I have the Epson 810 (made for the U.S. market), while many others have the Epson TW700 (pretty much identical to the 810), but made for the Asian and non-U.S. markets.

Both the 810 and the TW700 show 525p (instead of 480p); 750p (instead of 720p) and so on.

There is no menu setting to change this. Probably just an oversight when Epson did the menus for the U.S. destined projectors.

I also have seen at least 3 mistakes in the manual. Makes you wonder who is checking this stuff sometimes.

By the way, you can set the Comcast HD box to output 720p or 1080i (not sure which is better for a 1080p projector). I set mine to 720p as I have the 720p projector. In any event, the Epson shows it as 750p.
post #563 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

briandx, davidahn, Humbert,
Glad to have some company finally!

I was actually wondering about the overscan as well. When I set it to 100% it seemed like it was altering the aspect ratio of 2.35 movies.

In no way would I say this pj is dim on my 106" screen.
post #564 of 1603 Old 01-30-2007, 09:06 PM

Good to have finally joined the club

I haven't had any problems, no garbage, with 100%. With both my Blu-ray source and with my extended computer desktop, it was clear that 92% was zooming, cropping, and blurring the image ( I guess by 8%). On one standard DVD, Rear Window, the image didn't quite extend all the way to the left and right but everything was well proportioned so I assume that film itself wasn't perfectly 16:9. Never sent it anything interlaced though. No, that isn't true. Played a 1080i mpeg dvd through my PS3. Played nice and sharp at 100%.

I have mine shooting about 110" image on a screen-paint treated wall - only watch in darkness. At High Lamp the image is OK, not quite as bright as I want but OK. Low Lamp mode doesn't cut it for me at all (even at 92") I guess I just have a preference for a brighter image. With the HP it shouldn't be a problem (worried it might get too bright).

Anyone played with Epson Super White much? Worth the decrease in light?
post #565 of 1603 Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 AM

Jacksonian, thanks for turning me on to this PJ! I'm VERY happy with this purchase. For the price, nothing can touch it.

I haven't had much time to play with it, and haven't calibrated it, but so far I'm very impressed. To refresh people's memories, I have a 1.1 gain 133" 16:9 Vutec Matte White screen. I was happy with my BenQ PE8700 for movies, but it was not nearly bright enough for gaming.

I tried it in various preset modes and tried Mission Impossible 3 in HD-DVD on a HD-A2, tried connecting my laptop at 1920x1080, as well as the Xbox 360 in 1080p mode. I have yet to connect it to my Verizon FiOS HD-DVR, and though it's the lowest quality signal (due to macroblocking and overcompression), I'm very interested to see how much sharper 1080i TV looks compared to the 720p output I'm used to.

First, let me say that WOW! HD-DVD is SO awesome. No visible artifacts, SUPER-sharp text and fine details, reminds me of theater sharpness (when the theater PJ is in focus). Even my WIFE said, "Wow! It's so sharp!" (Score!) Also, Gears of War looks so amazing it's not even funny. I'll be playing THAT a lot more! And my ********** downloaded 720p Heroes episodes 1-11 look pretty awesome considering; the 1080i new episodes from my HD-DVR are gonna be awesome. And hello, Superbowl party!

Now for some impressions. I found that the TW1000 in Dynamic mode is VERY bright, though blacks are quite poor and color isn't very accurate. In Living Room mode, blacks are a little better, but the colors don't seem very accurate. I like the Theater mode, though I think it needs some calibration to get better colors and better shadow detail. But in this mode, which is a balanced compromise between brightness and blacks, the blacks are noticeably blacker than my BenQ PE8700 (DarkChip 2), and the brights are WOW. I don't think I need to change to a High Power screen (not that my wife would let me). I think a slightly calibrated Dynamic mode may be great for games, even with SOME lights on, and movies will look plenty bright even in dark theater mode, though I found even on my 133" 1.1 gain screen, the Theater mode felt as bright as a plasma display.

I can't wait to play with this further. I'm going to calibrate with my Video Essentials SD DVD (until my pre-order DVE comes), and I'll do side-by-side comparisons with the PE8700. My gut reaction is that the TW1000 has MUCH better blacks and probably 2-2.5 times the brightness of the PE8700, but I'll have to do some head-to-head experiments... later. First, I'm just gonna enjoy the heck out of this thing.

David
post #566 of 1603 Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Jacksonian, Davidahn, Humbert, pleased to be in the club!

I'm relieved to hear about the odd resolution numbers; doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

I played around with the Dynamic Iris a bit more (at Midnight no less!) and my observations are pretty much formed at this point: It works extremely well, is virtually invisible, and emits a slight mechanical noise as it is working. However, unless you are in low lamp mode with virtually no sound in the room I doubt anyone will notice it much (if at all).

My only lingering question remains the overscan settings. When it is set to 100%, I'm getting picture noise sometimes in the upper and lower parts of the picture. Either there is a blanking feature I'm not seeing, or I have to go to 96% to remove the noise.

Hopefully tonight I will make my final adjustments and calibrations and give some firmer impressions.

REgards,
Brian
post #567 of 1603 Old 01-31-2007, 03:58 PM

I had a question for those that are already enjoying the TW1000.

Is there a viewing mode that allows for a 'vertical stretch' of HD sources (and if possible, 480i/p sources as well)?

For example, HD DVDs that are letterboxed you can vertically stretch to fill the full resolution of the panel (although this makes objects and people appear overly tall and thin). Please check that this isn't just zooming in and cropping the side material.

I'm wondering about this for the ease of implementing a TW1000 into a 2.35:1 CH setup.

Thanks to anyone that can check it out!

Two things are certain in life, death and expensive high-end projectors.
post #568 of 1603 Old 01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcaughey View Post

I had a question for those that are already enjoying the TW1000.

Is there a viewing mode that allows for a 'vertical stretch' of HD sources (and if possible, 480i/p sources as well)?

For example, HD DVDs that are letterboxed you can vertically stretch to fill the full resolution of the panel (although this makes objects and people appear overly tall and thin). Please check that this isn't just zooming in and cropping the side material.

I'm wondering about this for the ease of implementing a TW1000 into a 2.35:1 CH setup.

Thanks to anyone that can check it out!

Would like to know also.

Thanks
post #569 of 1603 Old 01-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

No it cannot.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #570 of 1603 Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Some additional impressions after some calibration and experimentation:

First off, the lens was smudged. I noticed this last night, bought a lens cloth and cleaned the Epson thoroughly.

Second, after looking at some test patterns there is a slight mis-convergence with the red panel, probably a single pixel off in the horizontal plane. However, the overall convergence is far better than I could EVER get my CRT projector! In fact, from 16 feet away on a 92" screen there is no noticable color fringing on white borders. Not really an issue.

Third, I noticed that the sharpness control has an advanced mode, where you can change sharpness in 3 directions on thin and thick transitions! After experimentation I settled on a series of settings that did not add ringing to the picture but improved overall sharpness a tad.

Fourth, I now prefer the regular Cinema setting. Theater modes 1 and 2 dimmed the picture too much.

Finally, I have settled on high lamp mode; the picture has an added punch and crispness to it that the low lamp mode simply does not have.

Based on several of these changes plus more fine focusing, the overall sharpness for the Epson has gone from an 8.5 to a 9.25 out of 10 (Mitsu 5000 being a 10). Plus, I feel the picture is a little less fatiguing than the Mitsu, which was razor sharp but had a slightly artificial computer-monitor like appearance.

I just get the feeling that this projector is better (or more carefully) designed than the Mitsu. I don't see any of the nagging design issues (like horizontal banding!) that I saw on the 5000.

Overall, this is a great projector!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page