Epson EMP-TW1000 1080p LCD HDMI1.3 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1603 Old 02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Lylepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What does an international warranty mean?

I followed the link on the HVZ website to Epson HK about their warranty. I don't find it very reassuring although it's probably just CYA language.

http://www2.epson.com.hk/eservice/en/warranty/ui/ "warranty


Terms & Conditions
EPSON HONG KONG LIMITED (hereafter called EPSON) provides One year (Projector has Two years) warranty for EPSON product (hereafter called product), commencing the date of purchase under the following conditions:

1. For warranty service, a valid warranty registration must be completed before a free service rendered. Proof of purchase shall be produced if requested by EPSON to substantiate date of purchase. Such proof of purchase must be an original receipt / invoice that containing the name of the dealers, the name of the model and the serial number of the product.
2. The product, during the warranty period and under normal use, will be entitled to free carry-in hardware repair service (some models have free onsite hardware repair service, please refer to service charge in www.epson.com.hk/eservice), and free replacements of parts, excluding power cables, signal cables, battery, consumable items and lost parts.
3. The warranty is valid in Hong Kong SAR only; onsite hardware repair service areas include Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, Urban Town Centres along KCRC & LRT routes.
4. For onsite hardware repair service in off shore islands (except Tung Chung & Disney in Lantau), HK$200 extra transportation fee will be charged to customer as per each visit. For restricted areas, Lo Wu and boats areas, the customer will be responsible for transporting the product to a location as listed in (3) then call EPSON for onsite hardware repair service or directly bring the product to EPSON Service Centre.
5. The warranty does not cover period checking, cleaning, transportation, relocation or replacing consumable items.
6. EPSON has no obligation of resolving any problem caused by computer virus and software or hardware connection errors.
7. The warranty will automatically be waived if;
i. the product has been explicitly or implicitly modified, tampered with, altered or repaired in any way by anybody other than qualified technical people of EPSON.
ii. the product has been damaged due to misuse, abuse, negligence, physical damage, abnormal voltage supply/power interruption, accident, fire, flood, natural calamities or other events beyond EPSON control.
iii. Non genuine EPSON consumable items such as ink cartridge, photoconductor unit, toner cartridge, lamp unit or media such as; paper, transparency, label are used with the product.
iv. the serial number sticker in the product has been modified or tear off.
8. Any defected parts, which have been replaced, shall become EPSON's property.
9. For the product has onsite hardware repair service, customer should inform EPSON immediately in case of any change of his/her address.
10. For projector, EPSON will replace optical engine if the product have more than 3 defective pixels in standard warranty period. The lamp unit will provide 500 hours or 3 months warranty (whichever come first) if the product without abnormal shutdown. When projector need inspection or repair, if the product installed over 3.0 meters or secured by security system (like metal case or other security products), customer has to move the projector to accessible area and re-installation of the projector.
11. For Multimedia Storage Viewer, EPSON will replace LCD panel if the product have more than 3 defective pixels in standard warranty period, but the product must under normal use and without physical damage.
12. EPSON has reserved the right to issue and cease this warranty. For any uncertain or doubtful occasion, after examination, EPSON has the right to refuse to issue or cease this warranty.
13. The warranty terms and conditions are subject to change without prior notice.

Please call EPSON Customer Hotline 2827-8911 for details
Ver D (15 Nov 05) Download offline version ?

Don't lose sight of the Big Picture
Lylepdx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1603 Old 02-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Joe_Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lyle, I looked into the validity of Epson's international warranty about a month ago and even went to the extent of calling Epson USA to confirm that it would be honored which they did confirm. Several others who imported TW700's also called to have it confirmed themselves with Epson US.

Anyways I attached the Epson international warranty doc also for reference.
Says it's valid in over 45 countries. Don't think Epson would print these things and not honor them unless they wanted a major lawsuit on their hands. Besides Epson is the last company to pull something like that based on their excellent cust svc reputation.

From the way it was explained to me Epson US wouldn't refuse your repair because they invoice Epson HK for the warranty work and costs, who in this case is the one providing the international warranty. Just like an extended warranty would work, but instead it's Epson. This doesn't apply to Epson purchased in Japan as they don't come with an international wrty.

Joe

 

Epson Int'l Warranty doc.pdf 313.8251953125k . file
Joe_Black is offline  
post #633 of 1603 Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Lylepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Joe. What you say meets the common sense test and I'd expect Epson to be on the upside of customer service as their brand equity spans so many product categories.

Don't lose sight of the Big Picture
Lylepdx is offline  
post #634 of 1603 Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Member
 
NightScope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called the Epson Helpdesk center i Norway were I live, and they said they have not heard about there is an International 2-years World Wide Warranty for Epson products.
They told me there is an Europeian warranty. I mailed them the International World Wide Warranty document I found in this tread and they promissed me that they will check out if this Warranty is legal in Norway.

Best Regards
NightScope
NightScope is offline  
post #635 of 1603 Old 02-08-2007, 06:04 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold
 
cpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Posts: 7,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, by the sounds of things, it doesn't seem like a stretch. A given country will not honor a projector warranty and fix the projector, paying for all service costs when the projector is sourced from another area, however, if it involves charging the service costs to another party such as Epson in HK then I think they would be far more willing to accomodate.
cpc is offline  
post #636 of 1603 Old 02-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mark Lem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone send me a PM with the price & importer you bought from?

Thanks in advance. Am considering this vs. the JVC RS1, especially if the TW1000 does the vertical stretch for constant height.
Mark Lem is offline  
post #637 of 1603 Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Superfly77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hong Kong and USA
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylepdx View Post

What does an international warranty mean?

I followed the link on the HVZ website to Epson HK about their warranty. I don't find it very reassuring although it's probably just CYA language.

http://www2.epson.com.hk/eservice/en/warranty/ui/ "warranty


Terms & Conditions
EPSON HONG KONG LIMITED (hereafter called EPSON) provides One year (Projector has Two years) warranty for EPSON product (hereafter called product), commencing the date of purchase under the following conditions:

1. For warranty service, a valid warranty registration must be completed before a free service rendered. Proof of purchase shall be produced if requested by EPSON to substantiate date of purchase. Such proof of purchase must be an original receipt / invoice that containing the name of the dealers, the name of the model and the serial number of the product.
2. The product, during the warranty period and under normal use, will be entitled to free carry-in hardware repair service (some models have free onsite hardware repair service, please refer to service charge in www.epson.com.hk/eservice), and free replacements of parts, excluding power cables, signal cables, battery, consumable items and lost parts.
3. The warranty is valid in Hong Kong SAR only; onsite hardware repair service areas include Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, Urban Town Centres along KCRC & LRT routes.
4. For onsite hardware repair service in off shore islands (except Tung Chung & Disney in Lantau), HK$200 extra transportation fee will be charged to customer as per each visit. For restricted areas, Lo Wu and boats areas, the customer will be responsible for transporting the product to a location as listed in (3) then call EPSON for onsite hardware repair service or directly bring the product to EPSON Service Centre.
5. The warranty does not cover period checking, cleaning, transportation, relocation or replacing consumable items.
6. EPSON has no obligation of resolving any problem caused by computer virus and software or hardware connection errors.
7. The warranty will automatically be waived if;
i. the product has been explicitly or implicitly modified, tampered with, altered or repaired in any way by anybody other than qualified technical people of EPSON.
ii. the product has been damaged due to misuse, abuse, negligence, physical damage, abnormal voltage supply/power interruption, accident, fire, flood, natural calamities or other events beyond EPSON control.
iii. Non genuine EPSON consumable items such as ink cartridge, photoconductor unit, toner cartridge, lamp unit or media such as; paper, transparency, label are used with the product.
iv. the serial number sticker in the product has been modified or tear off.
8. Any defected parts, which have been replaced, shall become EPSON's property.
9. For the product has onsite hardware repair service, customer should inform EPSON immediately in case of any change of his/her address.
10. For projector, EPSON will replace optical engine if the product have more than 3 defective pixels in standard warranty period. The lamp unit will provide 500 hours or 3 months warranty (whichever come first) if the product without abnormal shutdown. When projector need inspection or repair, if the product installed over 3.0 meters or secured by security system (like metal case or other security products), customer has to move the projector to accessible area and re-installation of the projector.
11. For Multimedia Storage Viewer, EPSON will replace LCD panel if the product have more than 3 defective pixels in standard warranty period, but the product must under normal use and without physical damage.
12. EPSON has reserved the right to issue and cease this warranty. For any uncertain or doubtful occasion, after examination, EPSON has the right to refuse to issue or cease this warranty.
13. The warranty terms and conditions are subject to change without prior notice.

Please call EPSON Customer Hotline 2827-8911 for details
Ver D (15 Nov 05) Download offline version ?

HI

I have been over the warranty issue front to back and top to bottom. I can confirm that if you get the projector from the right authorised source, you are covered in the USA. Full Stop. They are finally becomming available here again after a month long dry spell! I will be getting in a TW1000 myself in a few days and I am looking forward to doing a side by side just like Jacksonian (Hey B!!)did a while back. I will post comparisons or awnser questions regarding how they compare if you want info.
Cheers
S
Superfly77 is offline  
post #638 of 1603 Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Superfly77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hong Kong and USA
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightScope View Post

I called the Epson Helpdesk center i Norway were I live, and they said they have not heard about there is an International 2-years World Wide Warranty for Epson products.
They told me there is an Europeian warranty. I mailed them the International World Wide Warranty document I found in this tread and they promissed me that they will check out if this Warranty is legal in Norway.


Hey NS

I can check directly to see if you are covered for warranty. Give me a few days so that I have a serial number in hand to check with.
Cheers
S
Superfly77 is offline  
post #639 of 1603 Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Member
 
NightScope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly77 View Post

Hey NS

I can check directly to see if you are covered for warranty. Give me a few days so that I have a serial number in hand to check with.
Cheers
S

Thanks. I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards
NightScope
NightScope is offline  
post #640 of 1603 Old 02-08-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a couple of additional DI notes on this PJ.

I watched Star Wars Ep 4 tonight on HBO-HD. I looked for a couple of things.

1) Does the DI make a difference on some of the space scenes involving stars and other background objects? Yes it did; the best CR I've seen on a LCD projector. On live sports for the most part DI makes no discernable difference. I now have two video memories set with identical picture settings; one with DI on, one Off.

2) Is the DI noticeable? I watched for two+ hours and did not see it working once (and I was looking for it!) (and I know what to look for - ex-Mitsu 5000 owner!)

3) Can you hear the DI working? On high lamp mode, even on soft scenes with only dialogue I could not hear it working.

In short, every time I watch this PJ (up to 20 hours now) I'm more impressed.

I also spent some more time making sure the PJ was at a perfect parallel plane with the screen, as well as verifying that vertical level was spot on. I fine-tuned the focus, and now I see a virtually perfect rectanglular picture with no keystoning, whose sharpness in now a 9.5 out of 10, with the Mitsu 5000 being a 10.
briandx is offline  
post #641 of 1603 Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SbWillie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: War Eagle,Oklahoma
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
anyone measured the actuall lumens of the 1000?
SbWillie is offline  
post #642 of 1603 Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold
 
cpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Posts: 7,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have emailed back and forth with the hivizone guys and the international warranty sounds fairly legit, however, this last point is important:

Quote:
The 2-year warranty consists of 1-year parts & labour warranty and labour only for the second year.

Paying with credit card would nicely double the warranty or add an additional year, but only if they accept credit cards. I emailed back to ask them and they don't accept credit cards unless you go via PayPal. Not sure if a credit card company would honor their own extended warranty that way. I guess it's time to check with my credit cards.

Well, they are an option. I won't be buying for a while if I do, so I will continue to explore other domestic sources in Canada and the USA first
cpc is offline  
post #643 of 1603 Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Phil_Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
briandx

How would you compare the sharpness to a good DLP projector? My biggest issue with LCD in the past was screendoor and that seems to be a non issue anymore. It would be great if anyone can give any info on the lumen output, I'd also like to use this on a 133 inch screen if it will put out enough light.

Phil
Phil_Johnson is offline  
post #644 of 1603 Old 02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Member
 
kgshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I am about ready to jump in on this projector from HK given the Int'l warranty. Thanks Jax and others for doing all of the legwork.

What mounting equipment have people used? I thinking of doing a ceiling mount and see that Epson has its own mount that it recommends (#ELPMB20). Did you mount to joists? I-beams? I have an I-beam running horizontally in the room about where I would want to mount the projector. Choices are mounting in front of it, on it, or behind it (the last two of which of course will make it dip lower into the room).

I am debating between a HP screen or a Silverstar, and leaning toward a Silverstar 110" screen as I am afraid of gain dropoff issues (13' throw, and about a 1.5x seating distance). My room has some windows and I'd like to be able to watch HDTV with some ambient light.

Anyone try the Silverstar combo and have thoughts regarding whether this will give enough lumens?
kgshaw is offline  
post #645 of 1603 Old 02-09-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Phil Johnson:

In my case the overall sharpness of the Epson is a 9.5 out of 10, with 10 being the sharpest projectors I've yet seen, DLP or LCD. I'm extremely sensitive to SDE, and there simply is none at a distance beyond 1.5 screen widths.

As far a brightness I don't know what to tell you, other than the Epson is at least as bright as my Mitsu 5000, which I saw at the dealer projecting on a 144" screen, with very good results.

Brian
briandx is offline  
post #646 of 1603 Old 02-09-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mpjohnst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Paying with credit card would nicely double the warranty or add an additional year, but only if they accept credit cards. I emailed back to ask them and they don't accept credit cards unless you go via PayPal. Not sure if a credit card company would honor their own extended warranty that way. I guess it's time to check with my credit cards.

Please let us know what you find about CC warranties via Paypal. I am wondering the exact same thing. Thanks.
-Matt
mpjohnst is offline  
post #647 of 1603 Old 02-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
raneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone who is currently using this projector tell us something about the HDMI 1.3 input? It is supposedly smaller than the previous incarnations. Does anyone believe the input is the real deal or a marketing hoax.
raneil is offline  
post #648 of 1603 Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Member
 
raneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I checked the international warranty that was found on the HVZ website. Two years parts and labour but no guarantee of a replacement projector during repair. Covers much of Europe and the Northern American continent.
raneil is offline  
post #649 of 1603 Old 02-10-2007, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SbWillie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: War Eagle,Oklahoma
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

anyone measured the actuall lumens of the 1000?

I've wondered that myself,Willie...
SbWillie is offline  
post #650 of 1603 Old 02-10-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HiHoStevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Las Vegas & Cedar Hills
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Johnson View Post

briandx

How would you compare the sharpness to a good DLP projector? My biggest issue with LCD in the past was screendoor and that seems to be a non issue anymore. It would be great if anyone can give any info on the lumen output, I'd also like to use this on a 133 inch screen if it will put out enough light.

Phil

Hi Phil, I am in exactly the same boat........ I am ridiculously sensitive to SDE which always killed previous Epson's for me... along with filter cleaning, but that is just laziness .

I normally on sit about 1.3 away from the screen as I like an immersive experience.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
HiHoStevo is offline  
post #651 of 1603 Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jacksonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Summerfield, NC
Posts: 4,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raneil View Post

Can anyone who is currently using this projector tell us something about the HDMI 1.3 input? It is supposedly smaller than the previous incarnations. Does anyone believe the input is the real deal or a marketing hoax.

Of course it's not a marketing hoax. The HDMI 1.3 physical connector is the same. I believe there is a smaller connector somewhere in the HDMI specs, but I can't remember what it's for.
jacksonian is offline  
post #652 of 1603 Old 02-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
dbacksfan51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hot as hell Arizona
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So for those of you that have gone the Japan or Hong Kong route, how much are the duty fees, on top of the price that these units can be had for, fir HIVI etc?
dbacksfan51 is offline  
post #653 of 1603 Old 02-10-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received a duty bill of $40. Obviously not something to be concerned about.

As far as SDE is concerned, I'll say it one more time; I doubt there are many folks in this forum more sensitive to SDE than me. With this projector, unless you are sitting very close to the screen (which creates its own set of problems) SDE is simply not an issue.

Folks who have not yet seen the latest crop of 1080p LCD projectors need to do so, as it will change the way you think about LCD technology.
briandx is offline  
post #654 of 1603 Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jones_Rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,974
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Briandx said:

Quote:


I'm extremely sensitive to SDE, and there simply is none at a distance beyond 1.5 screen widths.

Quote:


As far as SDE is concerned, I'll say it one more time; I doubt there are many folks in this forum more sensitive to SDE than me. With this projector, unless you are sitting very close to the screen (which creates its own set of problems) SDE is simply not an issue.

Brian, with all due respect, sitting 1.5 screen widths is *not* considered very close.

To tell the truth, in *many* comparisons between 1080 and 720 projectors, it was found that in order to start seeing the difference in resolution, the viewer should sit *below* 1.5 screen widths, so I guess many will want to sit ~1.2 screen widths.

So, if you claim SDE only goes away for you at 1.5X, then the increase in resolution of this 1080p projector over 720p ones, has little merit, if any.
Jones_Rush is offline  
post #655 of 1603 Old 02-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Member
 
cathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still on the fence in regards to purchasing the tw1000. I'm worried that I will loose the punch/dynamic colors of the newer 720p projectors by going the 1080p route. However an earlier post - that was never responded to - got me thinking.

It seems like the current batch of 1080p projectors and the new 720p projectors (tw700, z5 ae100) have similar brightness once calibrated/in "best mode". If that's the case is there really a difference in "punch" if you're watching in a light controlled room on a screen less than 106 inches? If no, is the "dimness of the 1080p then only an issue if you plan to a) use a large screen (+106 inches) or b) watch movies/tv with a lot of ambient light?

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks
cathor is offline  
post #656 of 1603 Old 02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Member
 
Humbert Humbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The difference between a 1080 and 720 source is very obvious to me. Never for a moment have I felt the two to be equivalent. I don't watch HDTV so most of my viewing tends to be progressive with no overscan. 1080p for blu-ray (1.3 if that makes any difference) and computer and PS3 games, 720p for HD vid clips and PS3 games, 480p for vid clips and DVD. The three resolutions are each visibly distinct from each other so that, at any instant, you can identify the res and quality of the source.

The Epson is easily watchable on bright mode (crisp, colorful, and high-contrast) on 1.0 gain at 120" in the dark. I just like the quality, the perceived increase of pop, of a brighter image so went for more gain. Didn't mean to suggest that 720 produced better color or more pop given the same light output.
Humbert Humbert is offline  
post #657 of 1603 Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Randy Mathis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sugarcandy Mountain
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't understand the concern about the lumens of this projector.

I have a Sanyo Z2 which was advertised at 800 lumens and on a 100" screen it is fantastic. I can't wait to upgrade to 1200 lumens to see how bright that would be.

Right now this Epson is on my list for my planned upgrade before the 2007 NFL season. I'm going to sit things out for a few months to see what problems crop up and if other options present themselves but I appreciate this thread for the information and the educated opinions that are expressed here.

I am really curious if Epson's HDMI 1.3 is the true version of HDMI 1.3 or if it is a scam to sell projectors in a fashion similar to that of the HDCP rating bestowed upon the first generation of HDCP DVI projectors such as the Sanyo Z2. I got burned on the Z2 with HDCP compliance and am quite hesitant to jump on a first generation product again. I understand that Epson has a superior reputation to Sanyo but is far from infallable.

I guess that we won't know for sure until discs with 10 bit color etc... are made available so that we can see if "deep color" is real or a marketing ploy.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Randy Mathis is offline  
post #658 of 1603 Old 02-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
emptychair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cobblestone Way
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis View Post

I am really curious if Epson's HDMI 1.3 is the true version of HDMI 1.3 or if it is a scam to sell projectors in a fashion similar to that of the HDCP rating bestowed upon the first generation of HDCP DVI projectors such as the Sanyo Z2. I got burned on the Z2 with HDCP compliance and am quite hesitant to jump on a first generation product again. I understand that Epson has a superior reputation to Sanyo but is far from infallable.

I guess that we won't know for sure until discs with 10 bit color etc... are made available so that we can see if "deep color" is real or a marketing ploy.

It is the full HDMI 1.3 standard and the pj itself is capable of displaying Deep Colour.

If it is a scam, it isn't from Epson. Epson did not come up with the HDMI 1.3 standard but they have chosen to incorporate it. Why not? Nothing to lose even if in the end no discs use Deep Colour. It isn't as if you are paying a premium for HDMI 1.3.

In any case, if you're buying it for the HDMI 1.3 then you're buying it for the wrong reason. Buy it because it is an excellent pj that fits your needs and you won't be dissapointed.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
emptychair is offline  
post #659 of 1603 Old 02-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Member
 
rolandlim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The first batch of Epson TW-1000 arrived in Hong Kong were available for sale on Feb 12th. I pre-ordered one and took delivery of it yesterday. Unfortunately, the one I got yesterday had exactly the same problem as the first one that jacksonian got from Japan with a faulty auto iris. This message came up after the projector was turned on "Error in Auto Iris. Turn off and contact your nearest Epson Service Provider". I tried ignoring the message and tried playing with it anyway. The projector behaved fine if auto iris was turned off, but once the iris was turned on, the iris either was locked at closed position with everything appearing really dim or the iris kept opening and closing rapidly whcihc made the picture looked as if it was flickering.

Of course I had to return the first one and exchanged for a new one today. I certainly hope this auto iris fault is not very common, as I am already the 2nd person on this forum who got one brand new with this error. It's fine for me as I bought it locally and it was not too much hassle to exchange a new one. If I am living in US, I maybe a bit hesitant to buy it from Hong Kong or Japan until I know this is not a common problem with thie new Epson projector.

I am upgrading from an Epson TW-600. the screen I am using is a 100" Stewart Firehawk G2. My projection distance ifrom the front of the lens to the screen is about 12.5 ft and I sit at about 13 ft from the screen.

Anyway, I have only played with it for a few hours, but my first impression are:-
1. It is quite bright in Dynamic mode. Certainly bright enough to be watched significantly amount of ambient light on. We usually have it on and dinner and my dining room is adjacent to the sitting room/projection area. With full lighting on in the dining area, the projected image still looked bright and well saturated in Dynamic mode and we were sitting at around 50 degree from the screen, way outside the half gain angle. Compared to my old TW-600 (rated at 1600 lumen) wiht about 900 hours on the lamp, the brightness is comparable. I believe a TW-600 or TW-700 with a new lamp should be about 10-20% brighter.
2. With lights totally out, Theater Dark 1 low lamp mode with Auto Iris on provided the best balance picture with very good contrast and well saturated colors.
3. HD-DVD on XBox 360 and Bluray on PS 3 both looked great with great color. contrast and defintion
4. "depth" and "punch" of image is definitely better than my old TW-600
5. Surprisingly, SD terrestial TV looks better on the new TW-1000 compared to the old TW-600. the image looked brighter and colors were maore saturated when in theater Dark 1 mode. Obviously, there was no difference in perceived resolution

I haven't done any image adjustment yet (contrast, brightness, saturation, color etc) with all these settings in default. I intend to get a copy of HD-DVD DVE and/or AVIA 2 when it's available to setup the projector.

I haven't tried any SD DVD yet either. My neighbour have a Sharp 20000 (21000 in US) and I intend to do a comparison later on.
rolandlim is offline  
post #660 of 1603 Old 02-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Member
 
Superfly77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hong Kong and USA
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

I have just gotten in the TW1000 and I have some info about warranty and importing to the USA.

First of all, For Night Scope, YES the international warranty does cover you in Norway. It is in writing, in the manual. If anyone else is curious, I can check for your country. I have spoken with a number of Epson warranty people and ALL have confirmed that as long as the projector you buy comes from an authorized distributer here, it has the international warranty, parts and labour.

For importing, if the unit is properly pre cleared with customs there will be no duty or taxes to the USA. Be careful if the unit's value is falsley declared. Customs is getting pretty smart and all they have to do is google the price of the PJ and you are busted. It doesn't make sense to do it the wrong way, risking huge fines, when it isnt really necessary!

By the way, Joe black is right, the case is black and so is the remote.
Cheers
Super
Superfly77 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off