Infocus 7200 - Won't Power Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 10-19-2006, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my SP7200 since December 2003. Last Tuesday it wouldn't power up. The power button was very dim and there was a light whining noise inside. I tried various outlets with no success. It has about 1200 hours on the bulb. I changed out the bulb with the spare anyway and it still wouldn't power up.

I called Infocus. The cost for a power suppy repair would be $550 (including return shipping). Yeech! Could there be a cheaper resolution to this problem? Also, what is the best way to ship my projector for repair?

Thanks,
AlrightyThen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-19-2006, 09:46 AM

Same situation for me, almost to the day. I purchased 7200 in October 2003, and between SUnday eve and Monday eve my power supply went exactly the same as yours. I am covered by extended warranty though, although Infocus Tech support promised me an RMA on Tuesday and it is now Thurs and several emails and a couple of phone calls (with half hour waits!) still no RMA, though they say they sent it email on Tues. I'm still waiting.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-23-2006, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Infocus was pretty speedy when sending me an e-mail on a price quote. I agree that the phone wait was kind of long.

We plan to send it off to Infocus next week to have it fixed. Does anyone have good advice on how to pack it. We've had the projector almost three years and no longer have the packing boxes.

- AlrightyThen
post #4 of 29 Old 10-23-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have shipped projectors without packing. I recommend getting a box that is about 3-4" bigger on all sides. Get the larger bubblewrap, and first wrap the projector in a good sized layer. Then using additional bubblewrap, roll it into "tubes" such that you can pack all the corners and leave airspace for the projector should it take a hit in shipping.
post #5 of 29 Old 10-23-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jason!
post #6 of 29 Old 11-19-2006, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

I sent my Infocus 7200 in for repair. It took just one week roundtrip from Dallas to Louisville, KY for repair. When it returned, it was wrapped in plastic and cushioned in high quality foam. The unit worked and I saw no scratches or blemishes on it.

The total cost was $624 for repair and preferred shipping (UPS, FedEx, etc.). Pretty price. I'm glad to have the unit back in our theatre room.

- AlrightyThen
post #7 of 29 Old 12-18-2006, 04:11 PM

Wish I had seen this before, but work has kept me away. For future reference for anyone who MAY see this symptom, I had a similar problem as well about a year ago, power button dimly lit, faint whir (sounded like a fan to me). Unit would not power up, nor down completely. Unplugging it, and replugging it just brought it back to the same state.

On a whim, and based on current discussions here when it happend, I reloaded the microcode before I called InFocus...and it fixed the problem. Have not seen it since, and maybe I just got lucky...

jc
post #8 of 29 Old 01-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighJC View Post

Wish I had seen this before, but work has kept me away. For future reference for anyone who MAY see this symptom, I had a similar problem as well about a year ago, power button dimly lit, faint whir (sounded like a fan to me). Unit would not power up, nor down completely. Unplugging it, and replugging it just brought it back to the same state.

On a whim, and based on current discussions here when it happend, I reloaded the microcode before I called InFocus...and it fixed the problem. Have not seen it since, and maybe I just got lucky...

jc

MileHighJC, do you mean you updated the software? What is the procedure for reloading the microcode? Thanks
post #9 of 29 Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM

Unbelievable....I have an SP7200 an have exactly the same problem (flickering power light; clicking noise; replaced the bulb, but no help). I have been posting on several different sites with my SP7200 dilemma. Do I repair for $550 or buy new? If new, what's similar in terms of quality?

HELP
post #10 of 29 Old 01-09-2007, 08:13 PM

Looks like this may be a common problem.

I purchased a used 7200 here on AVS a year ago and it had this exact problem after a couple of weeks (it had about 1600 hours on it at the time if I recall). I sent it in to InFocus for repair back then, have put another 400 hours on it since then and it's working great now. BTW AVS rocks, they stand behind their buyer. Since it died so shortly after I bought it through them they helped me out with it. I strongly recommend them if you are purchasing something that they carry.

I did notice a 7210 over on audoigon today that looks nice if you want to stick with IF but do an upgrade (it was just posted a few days ago and still looks live). It'll cost you 6X as much as the repair, but that unit supposedly doesn't have any hours on the bulb. Of course I've read a bit that it looks like IF is in a bit of financial trouble so purchasing another IF may not be a great move right now. If you buy new, there are lots of options, but you'll have to do a lot more reading. I've fallen behind since I got my 7200 so can't offer many suggestions there.

-TIM
post #11 of 29 Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 PM

I too had this issue. Apparently that thread is too old to be caught with a search. I purchased the USB cable, uploaded the firmware to the PJ, and all was well again. This was mentioned by another poster in this thread as well.

mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-10-2007, 05:35 AM

Mark:
Thanks for your reply....I feel like I'm getting close to a solution, but being very non-technical I hope you'll excuse with me. Is the firmware something I buy or find on the InFocus website.....similarly, is the USB cable a generic product.

I realize you're probably rolling your eyes and saying this guy shouldn't even have a projector, but trying to learn and save some unnecessary money and time.

Thanks.
post #13 of 29 Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 AM

Matt, actually my reply was in response to the first post here. Im not sure if your issue will be fixed by this. However, here is the cable I was referencing.

http://store.infocus.com/escalate/st...s+and+Adapters

Its special to infocus, not generic.

The firmware is free, and can be downloaded I believe from the infocus website somewhere. It was emailed to me, since I have a Toshiba (Infocus clone) I'll see if I can find it, or take a look on the support section of their website.

The manual should give you instructions on how to upload the new firmware. The firmware is the projectors software, and requires the firmware file, and the cable to update the projector. Again, not sure this will help your situation, but worth a try. And no... you are not asking stupid questions at all. We are all here to learn and help, so let us know what else you need help with if these instructions are not clear.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-10-2007, 08:46 AM

I had the same problem a couple times.

Instead of unplugging and pluggin it back in (which did not work), try to cycle the breaker while it is still plugged in.

Worked for me both times.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-10-2007, 10:49 AM

Caspyr:
Can you give me some instruction on how to 'cycle the breaker'? In providing your instruction, think of yourself as someone in the control tower trying to teach a passenger how to land a plane.....in other words, the simpler, the better!

Thanks for your patience.

Matt KY
post #16 of 29 Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt ky View Post

Caspyr:
Can you give me some instruction on how to 'cycle the breaker'? In providing your instruction, think of yourself as someone in the control tower trying to teach a passenger how to land a plane.....in other words, the simpler, the better!

Matt KY

Damn, I should have waited another day. I sent my PJ into a service depot yesterday. Sure would have liked to have known about this sooner, could have upgraded the software myself.
post #17 of 29 Old 01-10-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Caspyr:

Matt KY

Just filp the breaker off, wait a sec, and flip it back on. Don't have a clue why that's any different than a power cycle.
post #18 of 29 Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 PM

One other stupid question if I could.....Caspyr fixed the problem as follows:

Just filp the breaker off, wait a sec, and flip it back on. Don't have a clue why that's any different than a power cycle

is that a breaker in the projector? if so, where? Or is he talking about an actual circuit breaker in the house powering the projector?
post #19 of 29 Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:

One other stupid question if I could.....Caspyr fixed the problem as follows:

Just filp the breaker off, wait a sec, and flip it back on. Don't have a clue why that's any different than a power cycle

is that a breaker in the projector? if so, where? Or is he talking about an actual circuit breaker in the house powering the projector?

The actual house circuit breaker that feeds the outlet that your projector is plugged into.
post #20 of 29 Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Gave the circuit breaker solution a shot and no dice.....guess I'll try the firmware download as suggested earlier by MileHighJC and others.
post #21 of 29 Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM

I am at a loss....I was in the process of trying to upload version 4.0 to the pj and had my laptop connected. When I was in the process of registering my serial number, the projector booted up magically. I shut it down and then tried it again several times and all was working beatifully.

Then two days later, I was remounting the projector to the ceiling....I get the thing mounted and it is back to the clicking and won't boot up. I can't even upload the new firmware because it won't recognize the connection.

Any thoughts..is it hopeless....is it possessed?????
post #22 of 29 Old 02-11-2007, 05:01 AM

Well it looks like a new batch of owners are having the same problem we had a few years ago with the 7200. Mine had the same problem about a month after purchase. At that time I don't think IF knew exactly what the problem was so in addition to them updating firmware they replaced the lamp. Several years later I have not had the problem but I purchased one of the firmware upgrade cables just in case (still sitting in the original box).

I personally think IF should fix these units for free (you pay shippng and handling). They clearly have a known issue with the unit that a user can't fix unless they have an upgrade cable.
post #23 of 29 Old 02-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the reply....having said that, is it possible to upload software given the pj won't boot up anymore or am I out of luck.
post #24 of 29 Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 PM

I have a Toshiba TDP MT8 which is the same unit as an Infocus 7200. The -8.5 volts from the power supply is running about - 1.5 volts. Has anyone seen this problem before? Does anyone have schematics for this unit. I have tried to get Infocus and Toshiba to sell me a copy, but they won't do that...period.

Biff
post #25 of 29 Old 11-14-2008, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Nov'02 version died about 8 weeks ago. Same symptom. My solution?

Buy a JVC RS20!!
post #26 of 29 Old 12-03-2008, 06:21 PM

I know I'm pretty new here, and I know how to fix most all power supply problems with the infocus 7200 series. I worked for projector repair company for 5 years. I can offer my services if any one is interested. My screen name on ebay is Gtitubro for reference.
post #27 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM

InFocus PSU Schematic.pdf 56k .pdf file

7200's seem to experience power supply problems, and in most cases it is the main power transistor and the associated capacitor.

Infocus will not address this issue as it is quite profitable for them to take in projectors at $500+ per unit for a $75.00 fix.

When I had contacted them and inquired about support for this issue the assistant was livid that I had a schematic of the power supply!

Attached is what is needed.

I found that mostly the following two parts are the culprit:

U2 - VIPer100a - MOUSER P/N: 511-VIPER100A-E (it's a 700V 3A SMPS)
C16 - 100uf 16v (swapped with 53v) - use a high quality Nichicon PW series if possible - MOUSER P/N: 647-UPW1J101MPD

There can be other parts that can go bad and I have a listing of those as well.

However the two above-stated are usually the problem
post #28 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi, Do you have a similar schematic for a SP-7210? My M1-D port does not work anymore and wondering if a simple part can be the fix. Thanks.

===================================

|
|
post #29 of 29 Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlrightyThen View Post

I've had my SP7200 since December 2003. Last Tuesday it wouldn't power up. The power button was very dim and there was a light whining noise inside. I tried various outlets with no success. It has about 1200 hours on the bulb. I changed out the bulb with the spare anyway and it still wouldn't power up.

I called Infocus. The cost for a power suppy repair would be $550 (including return shipping). Yeech! Could there be a cheaper resolution to this problem? Also, what is the best way to ship my projector for repair?

Thanks,

AlrightyThen

I have a practically brand new 7210 (50 original bulb hours) that I bought on the Woot deal several years back but have never had a proper room to use it in. I now am going to have a room and am going to buy a JVC 46 or the Sony 50. I'm open to offers on the 7210. You could then have a almost new replacement with an upgraded model to boot. I'm not sure I'd want to repair a 7200 at this stage. PM me if interested.

Matt
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page