PJ Central Pearl Review - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector Central has posted their review of the Sony Pearl. (Apologies if this is a repost, but I didn't find anything when searching.)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vw50.htm

I've only skimmed through it, but it seems the author thought the picture was too soft for 1080p, and expected a much sharper picture.

I am a little confused because based on what I have read on the forums here, there seems to be a serious discrepancy in the description of the vertical lens shift. The author states that rear shelf placement is preferred because of the long zoom and lens shift, but everything I have read here points to the opposite.

I was under the impression that the lens shift works primarily in one direction, i.e., you can only shift "up" when the projector is right side up (and consequently only "down" when it is upside down in ceiling mounted configurations). Also, I thought the range was 65%. The PJC article states it is 50% in both directions, which seems to contradict what I have read here. Maybe I've just got it worng - can anyone clarify?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
there are a bunch of errors in that review- unless he was given a prototype.
I counted several in the first two paragraphs alone. And while it may not be the greatest pj ever made, the value rating he assigns to it seems way off the mark, imo.

as to the soft picture he is seeing- Having two of the units with me right now, I can say for sure that there is a hell of a lot of variance between them in several key areas. It wouldn't surprise me that the unit Powell is reviewing has poor convergence which would minimize the impression of sharpness. The first unit I got had generally excellant convergence and a very sharp, but not edgy, picture. The second unit not as much (but still well defined when the source permits it).
post #3 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This review just proves to me that there is a big disconnect between PJC and most of us video / projector enthusiasts in this forum. Ocassionally, for new LCD projectors that present a tremendous price performance bargain such as the introduction of the AE700 or the Z4, I would mostly agree with their reviews, but their ratings are just getting stranger. They prefer LCD and rate it higher than other technologies, including, apparently, LCOS. It started with the Z4 is better than the H79 review, and just went from there.

They gave the HC5000 a much better review despite its close price, inferior blacks / contrast, inferior color, inferior brightness and inferior DI. Now the HC5000 has advantages including sharpness and de-int/scaling (except PAL, apparently) but to give it a much higher rating is just indicative of bias, IMHO. If they both got approximately the same rating, I couldnt complain as much. Here, I'm just seeing a strange pro-LCD bias.
post #4 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never understoof that myself. They highly highly rate the AX100, and I realize it is a great unit, especially for the money. However, they make it out to be the best thing when I can think of many examples of better units.
post #5 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Honestly, I find it somewhat comforting to think that a prominent reviewer might be even more eccentric than we enthusiast members of AVS.

post #6 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Their reviews are weak at best and always seem to be pro-LCD, but its still a fun read.
post #7 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

I've never understoof that myself. They highly highly rate the AX100, and I realize it is a great unit, especially for the money. However, they make it out to be the best thing when I can think of many examples of better units.

That is because they love bright pjs at the expense of everything else.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #8 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Could be.
post #9 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 643
I really dont get this review either. How did they only measure 500 lumens max when everything else I have read has been between 650-800 calibrated in high? Oh well.....

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #10 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
their pro LCD bias (to not say more...) is well known. either it's LCD bias or certain brands.
no need to say more...
post #11 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 09:14 PM
MC6

it's a commerial website. solo purpose of promoting products for its sponsors. No suprise all of them are lcd resellers. 3.5 star for the pearl is a joke if 720p lcds get 5 stars.
post #12 of 111 Old 11-10-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Jason,

I remember your review of the AE900 was very positive and it was your projector of choice until the Samsung H710 came along.

Have you reviewed the AX100 and compared its image quality and features to these other units (Pearl, etc)?

thanks
post #13 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jason,
We are at the point where we are crossing over the impartiality line from science to sales. Its hard not to notice an escalation in attempts to influence and steer sales. Certainly others are noticing this in-your-face upwards trend too.

Any chance of going back to the way it used to be here? That was when AVS forum was considered a most valuable resource to its membership.
post #14 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC6 View Post

it's a commerial website. solo purpose of promoting products for its sponsors.

This is one of the most humorous posts I've read in quite a while. Last week it was trash Consumer Reports for rating DLP so highly. No we see just the opposite. Jason took exception to both
And what do you define a "commerial" website to be?

Note: I've just read the Projector Central review and it is spot-on as it reinforces the Widescreen Review by Greg Rogers. This is a simple truth.
post #15 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Jason please tell me of what better unit that does everything the ax100 does for it price.That is which FP has the brightness- color -blacks-lens shift -zoom - processing- fan noise- ect better than the ax100,I will buy one now.THANKS BUDDA
post #16 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

helmets on this is going to be hot thread...

they ARE pro-LCD. point. doesnt mean the PEARL is the best projector

lol to me the best digital projector is a 3DLP 2K with real 3000ansi and 4000:1 on off and 500-600 ansi CR
loud and expensive
post #17 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There is no horizontal lens shift movement, so the projector must be placed on a projection line that is perpendicular to the center of the screen.

Riiiight......

Has he even seen the manual?
post #18 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 AM

I agree that they favor the LCD projectors. However, I disagree that they are biased toward them.
Here is a quote from the review of my projector:
"With the release of the HD7100, price/performance levels between 720p DLP and 720p LCD products have reached a more realistic balance. You will pay a premium for the HD7100 over the LCD alternatives. That is as it should be since the image quality is, in some important respects, superior. "

When I read over the Pearl review, it seemed just for what they experienced. It's not like every one of you will have the EXACT same calibration results, or the exact same experience with your set up. I thought he had a lot of good things to say about the pearl as well. He makes reference to it's superior Black levels and super high contrast several times.
Of course this is just my $.02, but I don't feel like he bashed the projector or didn't give it it's due.
post #19 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I read over the Pearl review, it seemed just for what they experienced. It's not like every one of you will have the EXACT same calibration results, or the exact same experience with your set up. I thought he had a lot of good things to say about the pearl as well. He makes reference to it's superior Black levels and super high contrast several times.
Of course this is just my $.02, but I don't feel like he bashed the projector or didn't give it it's due.

I agree, but he should get his facts right
post #20 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Almost all reviews are *potentially* suspect in one way or another, either because there is the suggestion of bias (coddling advertisers, illiciting sales) or because of improper methodology or sloppy journalism.

My opinion has always been that reviews for a particular unit have to be treated in aggregate. Look at the numbers, the cold hard math, and throw out the outliers. If 5 reviewers measure the Pearl and come up with 700+ calibrated lumens in high lamp mode, that figure is probably pretty accurate. Reviews, considered in aggregate, are very helpful for determining key PQ characteristics, like lumens, black level, shadow detail, gamma tracking, color accuracy, etc.

The soft, fluffy stuff that permeates most reviews is mostly (but maybe not entirely) useless to me because these obervations are usually not helpful for making purchasing decisions and are not easily rolled-up. For example, comments that a projector has a "nice picture." I cannot remember the last time I saw a truly negative review of any projector from any reputable, professional review source -- which makes me question my use of the word "reputable" to describe them.

So consider the reviews in aggregate, and then you have to be smart enough to draw your own conclusions. It also helps if you can find a few reviewers that you trust based on their body of work and your own observations. GregR is one of these guys.
post #21 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

i like Jason's reviews (AVS). wished he could test more projectors, and the way it is presented. i'd like him to review the big monsters too (CHRISTIE , DP etc). and i dont buy projectors from him being in Europe.
post #22 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

First - remember that all reviews are biased in some way, even if only on a subconscious level.

Second - Aren't most the websites mentioned in this thread commercial?

Third - I have seen the Pearl on 2 occasions and IMO the Projector Central review seems pretty accurate in regards to issues relating to sharpness and brightness. Nobody thinks the Pearl is bright, and many owners turn to high gain screens to improve that aspect of the picture. Sharpness is another subjective criteria, however, almost everyone notices the differences between DLP and SXRD in this respect. Call them personal preferences.

The reviewer did point out the areas that he thought the Pearl excelled - like black level and color saturation.

The Ruby may be the ideal PJ for some people based on their room, needs and expectations. To a lot of other people (including me) there are too many tradeoffs with the Ruby and will look at other options.

I want a Masquerade.
post #23 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I think it's pretty obvious that PJC's reviews and ratings are simply based on a cost/performance basis. The AX100 gets five stars in comparison to what he's seen in that price range. The Pearl gets 3.5 compared to what he's seen from 1080p PJ's in that price range. That doesn't mean that the Panny is a better PJ than the Pearl.
It's more of a "consumer reports" type of rating review. If you keep it in the proper context it is valuable info. For instance if you've got only $2K to spend he's giving you a useful comparator in that price range.
post #24 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

The PJC review is spot on and details exactly why my decision to buy the AX100 over this Sony unit was a good one.

It is simply to early to spend five grand on the 1080p projectors. I will get a 1080p projector when they figure out they need to be brighter.

Don't repond to this post telling me how the Panny doesn't do this or that, it looks great to me and thousands of others.
post #25 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Count me as one who values black and shadow detail far more than brightness. The Pearl exceeds theater brightness levels, which is fine for me. Obviously, "one size" does not fit all.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #26 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedees View Post

Don't repond to this post telling me how the Panny doesn't do this or that, it looks great to me and thousands of others.

Confuscious Say: He who tell others what not to say sure to hear it anyway.
post #27 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
All of my reviews are biased. If its hanging in my theater its the best thing sense sliced bread
post #28 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

there are a bunch of errors in that review- unless he was given a prototype.
I counted several in the first two paragraphs alone. And while it may not be the greatest pj ever made, the value rating he assigns to it seems way off the mark, imo.

as to the soft picture he is seeing- Having two of the units with me right now, I can say for sure that there is a hell of a lot of variance between them in several key areas. It wouldn't surprise me that the unit Powell is reviewing has poor convergence which would minimize the impression of sharpness. The first unit I got had generally excellant convergence and a very sharp, but not edgy, picture. The second unit not as much (but still well defined when the source permits it).

If you are correct and Sony cannot manufacture a uniform product why would anyone want to deal with the frustration and uncertainty of not knowing what they were going to get when making a fairly expensive purchase? If you are correct regarding Sony's poor QC then it is just another example of their longstanding display of arrogance regarding the quality of their consumer products. Of course this doesn't even begin to address their stupidity for allowing a sub-par example of the Pearl into the hands of the most influential projector website on the internet.
post #29 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm not sure where reviewers have a benchmark to compare to, but don't you think it should be your best local cineplex??????? That's why I love the Pearl, because it's got that film look you have when you go to the theater for crying out loud. These people need to keep that in mind, instead of comparing other projectors for reference....end of rant

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #30 of 111 Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The tricky part of the big ones is my room. I don't have a large screen so it can present a problem. For instance, the C3X Lite I did was too bright for my room so the screenshots didn't turn out that well. Take a bigger unit and it is more of a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page