JVC DLA-RS1 questions answered! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish it was April fools...I'm kidding of course. Seriously though, I prefer that people contact us for pricing but not a big deal as I think that is well out the window. Heck someone posted it publically on another forum for crying out loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Liked: 11
"Pricing has to be done through us. People are not supposed to be sharing pricing (although I know some area)."

I'm sorry Jason I have shared pre-order price information through a pm. I did the same way as Mark. Won't do it again if its not allowed. Apologies.

"Oh, T Minus 40 minutes. "

Now I'm getting the feeling your playing with us just like the Beatles did with Paul being dead. Your really talking about Thanksgiving aren't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #363 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No worries. Not mad or anything, I was just trying to keep it on the low (although that went out the door around Monday last week 5 minutes after the details were announced)!

Have a good holiday!
post #364 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

You lose your place in line.

Quote:

I wish it was April fools...I'm kidding of course

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I couldn't resist.
post #366 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jason, curious on how many pre-orders were taken on the RS-1, or can you say?
post #367 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have to take count, but it is a good number.
post #368 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is hoping you get enough RS-1s in......

Shawn
post #369 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Get it on this while you have the chance smithfarmer!

I just got off the phone with Jason, I'm in.
post #370 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well that is the good news...there is a strong possibility that I will get all orders at once. Do not hold me to it, but it looks good.
post #371 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh if I don't get enough, the people who paypal me my "bonus" cash the fastest get bumped up. KIDDING! THAT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN SO DON'T ASK!
post #372 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer View Post

I just got off the phone with Jason, I'm in.

Well, at least you didn't cut it close or anything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #373 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

I have spent a lot of time, taming room reflections. The room is not totally black, but I have stood at the screen, and looked at where the major light reflections are, and then I would go and paint those areas black, or cover them with felt. I also have a felt blanket I throw over the front row of seats, since those are not black.

At the moment, the ceiling is black, along with the back wall, front wall, parts of the soffit, and parts of the side walls. Some areas out of the direct reflection path are tan. I also have a fluffy black wool carpet that covers the floor in front of the screen and the first row seats.

I had a Firehawk, before the Silverstar, and I really prefer what the Silverstar does to the image. It really makes it pop. I like a very lifelike image. When it is a daylight scene, I want to feel like I walked out into the daylight. I also find the viewing cone excellent on the Silverstar. Before, with the Firehawk, if I went off too far to the sides, or even sat in the front row, which is lower, I could see the image dim. The Silverstar looks great from any seat in the room.

Free - do you have a light meter like the CA 813? An interesting experiment would be to take ANSI CR readings AT THE SCREEN and compare them what you are getting with the cover on Vs. off the seats and so forth.
post #374 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have 1 extra pre order ticket,
will trade for turkey dinner or small fishing boat.
post #375 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Oh if I don't get enough, the people who paypal me my "bonus" cash the fastest get bumped up. KIDDING! THAT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN SO DON'T ASK!

So if paypal isn't going to happen do you take credit cards?

post #376 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post

I have 1 extra pre order ticket,
will trade for turkey dinner or small fishing boat.

Dude, you gotta put that thing up on eBaay. The preorder tickets are going for like $3000.00 already!! It's getting crazy!

post #377 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I saw Jason's post that the prebuy is officially over. So I guess this is the point in the story where Jason tells us that JVC's pricing is about to drop lol. (just kidding Jason). Happy Holidays everyone...

post #378 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Well, at least you didn't cut it close or anything!

post #379 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Another potential suggestion/question.....

Discrete IR codes for On/off? Input? AR (esp. if scaling for CH makes it in)...etc..etc.?

Shawn
post #380 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:

So if paypal isn't going to happen do you take credit cards?

We only take unmarked and non sequential 10 dollar bills

Now that the prebuy is over, I kind of feel sad
post #381 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Is the pre order really over? I thought it was through today...
post #382 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
yes, Its over. Still available but new pricing

Screen Reviews

post #383 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Hi guys,

I am sorry that I am so far behind, but I will at least try to clear some things up about grayscale calibration and why color management is so important, or at least to the best of my understanding (which might be incorrect).

D65 is a point in the CIE colorspace that represents the correct "blend" of red, blue, and green primaries. Also, for all of these primaries (and secondaries as well) to appear correctly on the screen, they must also be on very specific targets in the CIE colorspace. I don't know the coordinates offhand, but I'm sure they can be researched rather easily. The problem here is that D65 can be reached even if the individual primaries are not properly on target. That is, If red, green, and blue were off by the right amounts, then white would still be at D65, yet the individual colors of red, blue, and green would appear incorrectly on the screen, so attaining white at D65 is NOT "good enough".

So, with a good color management system, we have the ability to move each of the primaries and secondaries on the CIE chart in order to individually calibrate these six colors - moving them along one axis affects the saturation of the color, and moving them along the other axis affects the hue of the color, so in order to get really accurate color rendition, either the six colors (3 primaries and 3 secondaries) need to be perfectly on their CIE coordinates to begin with, OR we need the ability to move them (a la color management) to their correct coordinates. Since every lamp will be different, I really think that movable primaries and secondaries are NECESSARY, not simply a nice luxury, but that's the anal part of me coming out.

Now, as Mark correctly pointed out, there is a third Z axis that you don't see when you look at the CIE chart, and that represents luminance. So, where the Pearl/Ruby's color management system fails is that it is able to control two of the axes (saturation and hue) of each of the six colors individually, but there is no way to control luminance (the third axis). If I understand Greg correctly, it seems that luminance is locked to saturation with the Sony PJs, so what ends up happening is that if you bring the color DOWN to their correct saturation points (they are oversaturated by default), then the "invisible" luminance is also brought DOWN, resulting in colors that appear on the CIE color chart as perfect, but in reality appear pale and uninvolving. The correct way to do it would be to have individual control of luminance in addition to saturation and hue on a one by one basis.

Like I said, don't take this explanation as Gospel, but I think I got it pretty much right....

IMO a good color management system is essential in order to keep a PJ correctly calibrated over the life of the lamp (and subsequent lamps), but maybe the JVC will be the exception that doesn't need this type of extensive control. My hopes are that even if such CM is not available in the user menu that there will at least be some cryptic controls in the service menu that can be used to get the job done...

post #384 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Does this projector play well with a computer?
Can we get 1:1 pixel mapping at the native resolution?
post #385 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

"Does this projector play well with a computer?
Can we get 1:1 pixel mapping at the native resolution?"

Fingers crossed on that one for those of us that use scalers too. If it can't it would be a step backwards. My old JVC G10 could do 1:1 at the native resolution (1365x1024) but it could also do was was effectively 1:1 and only using part of the panel (1365x768) without additional scaling. That was useful in my CH setup feeding it a different resolution for 2.35 material compared to 1.78.

Shawn

Shawn
post #386 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Just curious. Is the new pricing lower and, if it is, can the early pre-orderers get it?

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #387 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

Is the pre order really over? I thought it was through today...

That's gonna leave a mark!

post #388 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Bob,

"So, with a good color management system, we have the ability to move each of the primaries and secondaries "

Is it not the case that any and all "moving" is done by varying the proportions of R, G, and B?

Thanks

Noah
post #389 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Bob,

"So, with a good color management system, we have the ability to move each of the primaries and secondaries "

Is it not the case that any and all "moving" is done by varying the proportions of R, G, and B?

Thanks

Noah, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Bob thanks for jumping in. My assumption is that the modified new primaries are moved mathematically so that each pixels color information has to be remapped (recalculated) to the new colorspace. So say the projector receives encoded information for a pixel with values R1, G1, and B1 the color managment system processes this in realtime and remaps it to say R2, G2 and B2 which if properly done results in a truer approximation of the color (when applied to the physical primaries). Can you confirm that this is pretty much how it works?

EDIT:
Also to answer Noah's question I think the end result is that new values of RGB are obtained but it's more sophisticated than a shift in one color. In other words changing one primary or secondary has the potential to change R, G AND B simultaneously which is why I like the term remap rather than shift.

post #390 of 3254 Old 11-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

No. When we vary the proportions of red, green, and blue in calibrating grayscale (I assume that you are talking about RGB bias and gain, right?), we are affecting the intensity of each color to achieve proper grayscale tracking from 0% to 100% stimulus. This does nothing to affect the saturation and hue of those colors, and this is where good color management enters the picture. You can affect saturation and hue of all of the colors at the same time by using the standard "color" and "hue" controls, but the problem here is that those controls affect all colors at the same time and by the same amount. We need individual controls to attain perfectly accurate colors, as each of the colors is not necessarily off by the same amount or the same way as any other.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page