JVC DLA-RS1 questions answered! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"We will have to wait and see what the production model turns out to be like, but from all indications so far it will be louder than the Pearl. This is a pity since the PQ appears to be excellent, and if they could get a better fan cooling system it looks like it would be the obvious choice in its class."

Even with a production unit the dB measurement doesn't tell the whole story as we don't know what the distribution/frequency of the noise is.

That will effect how annoying or not the noise is. Just as an over the top example.... one projector rated at 27dB and another at 25dB. Just by looking at the numbers the 27dB is 'louder.' But what if the unit at 27dB noise was at 5hz... that frequency at that level would be totally inaudible to the ear, but not the instrument. While OTOH the unit at 25dB was at 1kHz... right around where the ear is most sensitive.

In the above case the meter would say one unit is louder, the ear would say the other unit is louder.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Wow, Greg Rogers review of the Sharp 20K is quite impressive. I hope Mark Petersen's observation that the RS1 equals or exceeds the Sharp in all PQ parameters holds up to be even approximately valid. If so, those of us in on the AVS preorder will be getting an outstanding pj, and outstanding value in HT.

I agree Bill! I just hope the JVC has the appearance of depth/three dimensionality that is even close to what Greg described in his review. I doubt it will be quite as good because the ANSI contrast will certainly be lower than the incredible 845:1 measurement that Greg got on the JVC, but as he said, there are other factors that contribute to the perception of depth as well.

The JVC just can't get here fast enough for me!
post #633 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The Ruby is the quietest projector in this class I have ever heard. Or should I say, ever not heard Its that quiet. I sit right under it and can not hear it. I haven't heard the Pearl but assuming its just like the Ruby, I think its wishful thinking that the RS1 would be just as quiet. That being said, it does sound like there's hope that it will at least be quite acceptable to most.
post #634 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I agree Bill! I just hope the JVC has the appearance of depth/three dimensionality that is even close to what Greg described in his review. I doubt it will be quite as good because the ANSI contrast will certainly be lower than the incredible 845:1 measurement that Greg got on the JVC, but as he said, there are other factors that contribute to the perception of depth as well.

845:1 is just incredible. The RS1 will not likely even be half that, and its likely a safe bet that the Sharp 20K will have the advantage in the image depth department. Remember each machine has its advantages and drawbacks. Speculatively speaking, personally I'll take the RS1's lower price, extra brightness, and higher on/off CR in exchange for the lower ANSI CR, but that's not to say the 20K is not a better pick for others with different priorities.
post #635 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I just read Gregs review on the Sharp. Wow, 845:1 ANSI CR - the highest he has ever measured. It wasn't that many years ago that digital on/off CR was less than that

So now I'm wondering why the Sharp didn't bowl me over like the Marantz did, they both should have been very similar. Here is one possible reason:

Six gamma settings, 4 DNR mode settings, 4 MNR mode settings, 4 unveil mode settings, 4 automatic contrast settings, 6 picture modes, 3 iris modes, 2 bulb modes,

The only settings I checked when I watched the Sharp was the iris and bulb settings. I also hope that people take any tradeshow demo with a grain of salt. A proper evaluation takes time and a person has to go through all the settings in their own environment and also factor in bulb wear, etc. I put more emphasis on a good review by Greg Rogers than all of the Cedia and Expo comments combined
post #636 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

The Fujinon lens is a pretty known quantity and Tom Stites has said that there is no "appreciable" change in light output over zoom range.

About a week ago Ken at JVC said that he was under the impression that was the case, but that he did want to get definitive confirmation from his engineering group that this was indeed the case. He said he hoped to get that shortly - not sure if he has yet or not. At any rate it sounded like they felt this was the case but were not 100% sure.

Quote:
From what I read from Tom's statements is that we can expect at least 300:1 and probably higher from this projector. JVC doesn't publish official ANSI CR numbers though so we'll never get an official number.

That's fine. However because they don't publish it as an official spec doesn't mean that they cannot give us details on what they are measuring on the early production runs they are doing. It would be good to know once they have a few units on hand to check.
post #637 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Yes, Rob. Just hope that by some chance GregR gets his hands on a RS1 to evaluate before we have to commit on the RS1 preorder.
post #638 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 08:16 PM

I highly doubt you will see a review from Gregr before the units ship. Might get lucky with Jason doing a review.
post #639 of 3254 Old 12-01-2006, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

The Ruby is the quietest projector in this class I have ever heard. Or should I say, ever not heard Its that quiet. I sit right under it and can not hear it. I haven't heard the Pearl but assuming its just like the Ruby, I think its wishful thinking that the RS1 would be just as quiet. That being said, it does sound like there's hope that it will at least be quite acceptable to most.

Based on the Ruby that I saw.....I absolutely agree! I couldn't believe how quiet it was! This is an area where I need improvement over my current pj, which isn't nearly as quiet....but not as loud as some either.
post #640 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
A question for Tom Stites or anyone else from JVC who is reading this thread.

Would it be possible to implement manual editing of the PJ's EDID table? My reason for requesting this is that there a number of devices (particularly satellite STBs) whose chipsets can be tricked into outputting interlaced SD over HDMI if the corresponding progressive format is not in the EDID table.

For instance, SkyHD boxes in the UK will only output 576p (with poor deinterlacing), but if the next item in the HDMI chain has 576i but not 576p, then 576i will be output and deinterlacing can be performed outside of the STB.

This would be a terrific feature if implementable!

Thanks.

"Worth waiting for"
post #641 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Reviews from Jason should be compared with other reviews from Jason. Look at the difference in contrast between Jason and gregr on z21000.
My point is that Jason has measured lower numbers than gregr so if he measured less than 10000:1 gregr might measure >10000:1. I know Jason is saying what he measures should give you a rough idea and are not from a lab.

Mattias Ohlson
post #642 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 07:09 AM
BLS

Where is the pre order list and can we mention price here?
post #643 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The pre order has finished, and I don't think we're allowed to mention the price on the open forum. It was an amazing deal tho!

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #644 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 07:26 AM
BLS

I've read most but not every single page of this thread. We just moved and I'm still settling in. Was it through JVC, a power buy or other? A pm with price would be greatly appreciated.
post #645 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Rob Tomiln: Thanks for finally answering a question I had. To me in my enviroment it is critical, for most the noise issue wouldn't be an issue. Regardless it sounds like this projector will be on my top list after the new year.
post #646 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post

I've read most but not every single page of this thread. We just moved and I'm still settling in. Was it through JVC, a power buy or other? A pm with price would be greatly appreciated.

Call Jason or Tryg at AVS.
post #647 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlson View Post

Reviews from Jason should be compared with other reviews from Jason. Look at the difference in contrast between Jason and gregr on z21000.
My point is that Jason has measured lower numbers than gregr so if he measured less than 10000:1 gregr might measure >10000:1. I know Jason is saying what he measures should give you a rough idea and are not from a lab.

Yes, comparing reviews from different reviewers is quite meaningless. But comparing Jason's, say, between different pj's is quite useful since he is very consistent in his methodology. A review by him of the HD81, and the RS1 as soon as he gets it, would thus be extemely useful to go along with his reviews of the Sharp 20K, BenQ W10000, Pearl, etc.
post #648 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 08:42 AM
BLS

My misfortune being away from the computer for a couple of weeks while relocating. I did receive a PM. Thanks.
post #649 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=lovingdvd]845:1 is just incredible. The RS1 will not likely even be half that, and its likely a safe bet that the Sharp 20K will have the advantage in the image depth department. QUOTE]

Even with half I believe the RS1 will have the advantage in the image depth department judging from it's much higher on/off. Reason I say this is because recently I viewed the Sharp 20K in a side-by-side comparison with the Meridian MF-1 which I believe is a JVC 10K and nowhere the CR of the RS1 or even brightness and even still produced a better depth to the image on a 110" diagonal screen than the Sharp 20K.

The sharp was brighter & it did look beautiful no question about it and I am a huge DLP supporter but after seeing both in action side-by-side I thought the Sharp looked too digital in comparison. Brighter it was but not by much either. Funny how I really liked the image from an LcOS based machine like this Meridian but just can't for the life of me like any of the other LcOS/SXRD PJ's that I've seen like the Ruby, Pearl or the Qualia. I wonder what makes them so different to my eyes at least.

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #650 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Chris Dallas
The answer might be wm optimization. Perfect brightness uniformity is said to be very engaging. We get no clues that the picture is actually a projection.

Mattias Ohlson
post #651 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

JVC RS1 : I would love a PM on a special buy for the RS1, if the price is right I might hold off and not buy the Pearl.. The question is, I never like buying anything unless I see it or hear it.. Not sure if anyone can still get on the RS1 buy list, but I for one would be interested.

Chris Dallas: I feel the same way about DLP, just does not cut it for me. For one, I still get headaches from even some of the newer DLPs.
post #652 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Garman, the pre-buy list closed a week ago. Try calling Jason or Tryg for current pricing. It's the only way you'll know.

"Worth waiting for"
post #653 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

VirusKiller: Like the name, but I am in the medical/biologic business Thanks for the heads up, sent Jason a e-mail... From the list of projectors he has reviewed one couldn't go wrong buying the Pearl/Mits/ or JVC and a few others... nice to see some 1080p Projectors at decent prices.
post #654 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Garman, come February or March after the RS1 arrives I'll be selling either a calibrated Pearl with 500 hours or so on the bulb or a lightly used RS1 for a good price, depending on which one didn't quite win the shootout. I have a feeling that shootout may be very close.

Dan
post #655 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

drapp1952: Well the prices on the Pearl have come way down, $3800-$3900 is stree price. Not bad considering that it is suppose to retail at $5K.. My problem is I don't know if I can wait that long LOL
post #656 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 08:55 PM

This may have come up previously, but I couldn't remember it or find it in what has become a rather long thread.

In any event, I was wondering how those in the pre-buy line-up were planning to feed the DLA-RS1 its video information. Will most be sending data to the RS1 allowing it to process/deinterlace the signal for display, or will many have an outboard scaler do the work and pass 1080p to the projector? Among some of its other attributes, I was considering the Anthem D2 for its HDMI switching and video processing, however it seems a bit redundant to have two levels of Gennum processing at the ready.

Is it kooky to be considering the purchase of a Lumagen, DVDO, etc product so that one would have the option to check which level of processing (pre-proj vs in-proj) meets their desires and concurrently allows for HDMI etc switching?

Consume mass quantities
post #657 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

My question is too all the people that have actually seen the RS1 in action, how does it compare to other 1080p FP projectors? Also what would a decent street price be for this unit? Thanks...
post #658 of 3254 Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 PM

Garman,

I, unfortunately, have not seen an RS1; however, the first post in this thread, titled Part 1, includes a vast amount of specific info on the pj, and also has direct links to Part 2 and Part 3, which thoroughly evaluates the RS1's performance campared to several other 1080p pjs. All of this info is provided by the OP, Mark Peterson, who spent alot of time with the RS1 at the EH Expo.

Disclaimer: Totally biased RS1 fanclown...cannot be relied upon for any type of objectivity regarding same. You have been warned.
post #659 of 3254 Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

There are also all of these RS1 comments from the Expo:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=751453

I also looked for the old RS1 Cedia megathread but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know where that one went?
post #660 of 3254 Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 AM

Mark,

I think this is the CEDIA thread you were referring to... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=1&pp=30.

Also, one more RS1 thread for good measure...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=750154.

Disclaimer: Totally biased RS1 fanclown...cannot be relied upon for any type of objectivity regarding same. You have been warned.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page