AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post

Hi William,

I've made the decision to purchase the ISCOIII and an automatic sled (more than likely CineSlide.com) and spend what's left on a projector in the price range of the RS-1. I can always replace the projector later, but I shouldn't need to replace the ISCOIII. I'm just saying, as are a few others, that there's no reason why the on board scaler with the RS-1 couldn't do 2.35. We should hear back with confirmation from Tom, some time in Jan.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris:

At least not until the ISCO IV is released because -- after all -- we all suffer from what we WANT, not what we NEED.

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailists View Post

ANyone know of a place to see the HD10K in the new york area? I have yet to see a DILA image, and want to before ordering the RS1.

I think SXRD is about the same. I actually saw the Sony Pearl at Best Buy yesterday. They had a local guy build a room and calibrate the projector. It looked very good. Check the Best Buys in you area. I have never seen a JVC projector and have been all over the place. I had to travel to Miami to see the Sony Qualia a couple of years back.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #723 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

The local Best Buy won't install the Pearl in it's dedicated theater (Mag Hi Fi) because they say it won't sell. I guess it's too rich for the local market... very surprising since it's upper middle class. The funny thing is they have several Pioneer LCD displays selling upwards of $10k. Then again, this place wouldn't put a HDVD player in the Mag HiFi because it's "against the rules". I think they've got their head up their...

Oh, BTW, that same BB has HD DVDs in a prominent position (in clear sight of the main entryway) whereas the Blu-Ray disks face the back of the store.

It would have been nice to see similar technology to the JVC before purchasing.

Krister
post #724 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 AM
JHL
Advanced Member

Quote:

The local Best Buy here install the Pearl in it's dedicated theater (Mag Hi Fi) because they say it won't sell. I guess it's too rich for the local market... very surprising since it's upper middle class. The funny thing is they have several Pioneer LCD displays selling upwards of $10k. Then again, this place wouldn't put a HDVD player in the Mag HiFi because it's "against the rules". I think they've got their head up their...

Try the Magnolia out in Roseville. They had a Pearl installed a few months ago.
post #725 of 3254 Old 12-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks!

Krister
post #726 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Well - here's hoping against hope that JVC can pull a rabbit out of a hat and have a production RS1 ready to show at CES. Although - CES is rapidly approaching w/ less than 5 weeks to go. And we have Christmas and New Years holidays in-between to slow things down. Gotta stay positive though.

Hopefully Tom will fill us in when it gets a little closer.

I am due to be seeing what i have been told by JVC is a production model tmrw in London. So we shall see.....
post #727 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post

I am due to be seeing what i have been told by JVC is a production model tmrw in London. So we shall see.....

Stop saying things like this! You know what will happen now. "Production Model! Maybe we will get them before Xmas!" My heart can't take it.
post #728 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Great news. Sounds like JVC is on track. They were expecting to have early run production units (basically these would be similar to or actual production units, but made in small quantities as a test run for QA and other purposes) around mid Dec.

Elliot - can you please ask them what the on/off CR, ANSI CR, and lumens at D65 measured for this unit? Also it would be great if you can verify for certain with them that the lumens do not change based on throw. Thanks and we look forward to your report!
post #729 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 07:10 AM

I'll see what i can find out More info posted up on the UK site RS1 Info
post #730 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

I imagine that the hardware will be production, but not the software...

"Worth waiting for"
post #731 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusKiller View Post

I imagine that the hardware will be production, but not the software...

Yes, although the hardware could still be subject to tweaking based on what they find and how things come together. Exciting news indeed.
post #732 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just curious, what will the cost for a blub replacement be?

Hey maybe I will build my own HD Projector LOL Not enough time in one day to even start this project........ LOL

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/06/h...jector-part-6/
post #733 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'll see what i can find out More info posted up on the UK site RS1 Info

Great introduction to the technology behind the improvements.

Also, the chart on vertical vs. horizontal lens shift is very important for tricky installations as it shows you can't have both maximum vertical and horizontal shift at the same time. For example, at maximum vertical shift there can't be any horizontal shift.

--Dan
post #734 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 AM

From the specifications page of the link above. Not that this means a lot, but wasn't it listed at 27db before?

"Noise level 25dB (in normal mode)"
post #735 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Very much look forward to your report!!
post #736 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Elliot,
Please be sure to also check on the size and gain of the screen used.
post #737 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Randall Morton: You are correct according to JVC's spec page on this unit, it is listed at 27db. Not sure if this has changed yet, for most this would not be a big deal.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/s...&feature_id=03
post #738 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The specs from the UK website indicate that the lens has a F value of 3.2-4.3. Does this not indicate that the RS1 does not have a constant aperture lens, and that its light output will be effected by the zoom setting.
post #739 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

does that mean 2073.6 out of 2073600 pixels can be dead?

"♦ Please be aware that, because the D-ILA device is manufactured using highly advanced technologies, 0.01% or fewer of the pixels may be non-performing (always on or off)."
post #740 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually it means that only 207.36 pixels may be non-performing. Oh, and I suppose given that there is no mention of placement, these 207.36 pixels could all be clustered in the center of the screen. Nice!!!
post #741 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

LOL - I just picked up on this on the UK forums.
Wherever they are - its still a heck of a lot. I wonder how many can actually be non-perfroming without us noticing - I haven't heard anyone mention a dead pixel on the Pearl threads.
post #742 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
As mentioned on the UK forum, that could be 207 dead pixels per panel, or 622 all told. I doubt this would really be allowed to happen and end up with a customer, but it would be interesting to know what would happen if a customer rejected a unit at a dealers after seeing it for example (and found it had some visble dead pixels). I don't think I've seen this mentioned regarding other JVC DILA products...

I wonder if a dealer could run a dead pixel policy like many do for LCDs projectors.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #743 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:

The specs from the UK website indicate that the lens has a F value of 3.2-4.3. Does this not indicate that the RS1 does not have a constant aperture lens, and that its light output will be effected by the zoom setting.

Looks like things will be a little dimmer at full zoom, just like the Sony...
The same F values were included in JVC Japan's November 14 press release.
post #744 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn7 View Post

Looks like things will be a little dimmer at full zoom, just like the Sony...

What Sony are you referring to - the Pearl or Ruby or something else? What is the F stop info on that Sony?

I sure hope not - those pjs are around 20% dimmer at max throw which is certainly a lot more significant than 'a little dimmer'.

So are you saying you think the this means it'll be brightest at min throw and dimmest at max throw? Or would it be the case that it would be basically the same for much of the range except near max throw?
post #745 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

We have heard stable brightness over the zoom range from JVC. I will believe that until reality tells us otherwise. Can a lens be specified with a certain F-range but be designed to perform with constant brightness in practise.

I doubt there will be a big pixel problem. Isn´t this kind of statement something like a parachute giving instructions that in no way is this thing to be used for parachuting.

Mattias Ohlson
post #746 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

The only zoom lenses I have ever seen that have a constant aperture are the lenses we use on motion picture cameras and high-end HD video lenses. Even some professional video lenses will clamp about a stop in the last few mm of focal length. That happened on my first HD commercial shoot a few years ago. I just zoomed in when we wanted a close-up shot, and initially didn't notice the drop in exposure. When I did notice it, I began to try to figure out if the key light got kicked I learned to avoid those last few mm, or overlight by a stop for the wide shot.
Quote:

So are you saying you think the this means it'll be brightest at min throw and dimmest at max throw? Or would it be the case that it would be basically the same for much of the range except near max throw?

I think it means both. I doubt that the reduction is light is linear. It probably clamps the stop near the long end...and that is about a stop, one half the light. That changes my installation plans a little. I have to stay a bit closer.

BTW, one factor affecting luminance I never hear anyone consider is simple inverse square loss of light due to a longer throw. That should be a factor most noticable at throw distances inside about 15' or so. Anybody every consider it? Or is there some technology about projector optics I'm missing?
post #747 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM

I claim no expertise on projector lighting, just a long time ardent photography buff, having dealt a lot with f-stops on camera lenses. I got the following definition from Answers.com:

"The greater the f-number, the less light per unit area reaches the image plane of the system."

Since the f-number at the longer end of the zoom range is larger, less light will reach the image plane (screen) when the projector is farther away from the screen, if the screen size remains constant. I'm not sure, but the effect may be linear (eg. at half the zoom, the f-number could be mid way between 3.2 and 4.3). If anyone has a better understanding of this, I would appreciate their input.

The sony reference I made was to some posts on other threads regarding the Ruby. The consensus seems to be that the projector is brightest at its widest zoom. You can check the specs on the Ruby for the f-numbers on the Ruby lens, maybe that will help to determine how much difference we should expect on the JVC.

Whoops, sorry Cam Man, I posted before I saw your reply
Sony Ruby ( from Sony web site) fl 8.7 to 33.7 mm/F2.54 to 3.53 mm
post #748 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

BTW, one factor affecting luminance I never hear anyone consider is simple inverse square loss of light due to a longer throw. That should be a factor most noticable at throw distances inside about 15' or so. Anybody every consider it? Or is there some technology about projector optics I'm missing?

Are you talking about the way that light from a candle or flashlight will be dimmer the further it is away from the object reflecting its light?

If so, that concept does not apply to projectors because the light is all focused on a particular plane. It is not "spreading out" and losing intensity.
post #749 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlson View Post

We have heard stable brightness over the zoom range from JVC. I will believe that until reality tells us otherwise.

As I posted here earlier, Ken from JVC specifically told me that his understanding is that it would be similar to other JVC lens that remain constant over the zoom range so they were thinking this would be the case for the RS1 as well, but said that he wanted to verify this with his engineering group to find out for sure. So it seems this still remains to be seen.
post #750 of 3254 Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn7 View Post

Sony Ruby ( from Sony web site) fl 8.7 to 33.7 mm/F2.54 to 3.53 mm

I'm not familiar with lens and F stop values. In comparing those Ruby lens F stop #s to that of the RS1, can we conclude that it will be any better (or worse) than the Ruby's loss of light over the zoom range?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page