Ruby Died, Again - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mine could appear to be a blown bulb if I didnt know any better. My problem was that the bulb would not fire up. I would here a "ping" noise several times, but nothing would happen. I was lucky because I had a spare bulb that was brand new and tried that and that didnt help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the response.
post #33 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

green light should not be a bulb issue. Call Sony Laredo, ask for Juan and ask his advice. You can search for the number and contact info.
post #34 of 38 Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

After some negotiating with Sony I have a deal on the table. I haven't accepted it yet, but this is their deal. They have offered to repair my projector and send it back to me and pay for all my shipping costs. Then when they get a BRAND NEW VPL-VW100 in stock they will exchange that new unit with my current repaired unit. Good deal or bad deal?

I might go with this and when they send me the new unit sealed in a box, sell it. I also have a brand new bulb and mounting bracket which may sweeten the deal for some prospective buyer.

Sounds like a good deal. I'd make sure I could purchase a 5 year extended sony warranty for the new unit.
post #35 of 38 Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 PM
cek

I purchased my Ruby at Magnolia HIFI in March of 06. It went through it's first bulb in about 1200 hours and always had difficulty turning on (it would work well ~50% of the time, but when it wouldn't work it would be like that for days...not turning on).

After reading this thread, and noting that my 2nd bulb was getting pretty dim at 900 hours, I decided to take the unit into Magnolia. I had purchased an exteded warantee.

I took it in early Dec and got it back today.

They replaced the lamp power supply, lap igniter, and THE LAMP. They also say they cleaned everything.

I was not expecting them to replace the lamp, but I had complained on the work order that I thought "it was burning through bulbs too quickly". They took care of it.

I have not hooked it up yet, but I will report back the results once I do.
post #36 of 38 Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cek View Post

I purchased my Ruby at Magnolia HIFI in March of 06. It went through it's first bulb in about 1200 hours and always had difficulty turning on (it would work well ~50% of the time, but when it wouldn't work it would be like that for days...not turning on).

After reading this thread, and noting that my 2nd bulb was getting pretty dim at 900 hours, I decided to take the unit into Magnolia. I had purchased an exteded warantee.

I took it in early Dec and got it back today.

They replaced the lamp power supply, lap igniter, and THE LAMP. They also say they cleaned everything.

I was not expecting them to replace the lamp, but I had complained on the work order that I thought "it was burning through bulbs too quickly". They took care of it.

I have not hooked it up yet, but I will report back the results once I do.

Good for you! Congrats!

Can you be certain that actually Magnolia did this repair and not the Sony Service Center? Did they do in their store or did they send it in some place? Which store is it?

Thanks!
____
Axel

post #37 of 38 Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM
cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Good for you! Congrats!

Can you be certain that actually Magnolia did this repair and not the Sony Service Center? Did they do in their store or did they send it in some place? Which store is it?

Thanks!
____
Axel

They claimed they sent it to "their" service center. Magnolia is owned by Best Buy, but they were originally a local (Bellevue/Seattle, WA) company. I assume thier service place is local.
post #38 of 38 Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM
cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cek View Post

They claimed they sent it to "their" service center. Magnolia is owned by Best Buy, but they were originally a local (Bellevue/Seattle, WA) company. I assume thier service place is local.

Well here I am 7 years later... I've gotten good at replacing bulbs in my Ruby. I have bought the Cermax bulbs off ebay (see this thread).

I replaced the bulb about 2 weeks ago. Worked fine right off the bat. Then later that day, when we went to turn the projector on I got the dreaded "pop, pop, pop, pop...pause...pop, pop, pop, pop" with no "ping". For grins I threw in an old lamp assembly that had an almost dead (but not dead yet!) bulb in and it started right up.

I then put in my other assembly with the new bulb. Started right up.

And worked fine for about a week.

Last night it started popping again and not starting.

I wonder if my power supply has failed?

I'm no longer under the extended warranty. Anyone recently have a Ruby serviced? What was the procedure?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw100 Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page