Ruby Died, Again - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This weekend while watching my Ruby it died on me. I have just under 300 hrs on it. Without going into boring details, when I first got the unit I sent it back twice for repairts. Now it appears I will need to send it back a THIRD time.
It appears to be the same issue I had about 5 months ago when I got the unit, a bad power supply, because it has the same symptons and died the same way.

I contacted Sony Laredo and they said to send it back. I understand where they are coming from with needing to see the unit, but a third time is enough in my book. Give me a new unit or my money back if it is the same problem. What are my options once I send it back? Can I get a new unit or am I screwed? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Money back or a new unit sounds in order with your bad history with your Ruby. They should give you a diamond!

Mattias Ohlson
post #3 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

This is depressing. My Ruby just returned from Laredo for a power supply issue. What month was it sent back? I just hope that they have finally figured out a solution that lasts.
post #4 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

is this a commonly known problem or perhaps a power conditioning (lack thereof) issue...?
post #5 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the unit back the last time in July and since then been working well. Then this weekend it died.

My concern is they fix it and it works fine for another 6 months, then it breaks again and I have to send it back. At what point can I legally demand money back, get credit or an entirely new unit? Three repairs in six months is way high and these are not minor repairs, these are switching the guts of unit out.
post #6 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

is this a commonly known problem or perhaps a power conditioning (lack thereof) issue...?

Known problem. I use an Exactpower conditioner and Brickwall surge protector. Not a power issue...
post #7 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mine has been plugged directly into a Monster Power conditioner. All my other equipment functions perfectly. Not a power issue in my case.
post #8 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

ok - thanks; sounds like something Sony needs to address (or maybe has);
keep us informed - I agree with Ohlson - in my view they should be at least offering a replacement unit with an explaination of the issue and fix...

ken
post #9 of 38 Old 11-20-2006, 06:47 PM

I think I may be sending in my RUBY for the same thing soon. It is taking a lot longer to start lately and you can hear that static popping sound for several sessions before the bulb finally strikes. I had this problem briefly a couple months after buying it but it seemed to go away after a few days. Is this what every one else with power supply problems are experiencing? I hate to think that after only 850 hours the lamp is going out because the image is still plenty bright enough for me and the lamp cost is going to be rough. Also if I call SONY and file a claim do I ask for it to go directly to Laredo or do they pick the service center? This sucks I really wanted to get through the holidays before loosing my projector for how ever long it takes to repair the problem.
post #10 of 38 Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN MELHADO View Post

I think I may be sending in my RUBY for the same thing soon. It is taking a lot longer to start lately and you can hear that static popping sound for several sessions before the bulb finally strikes. I had this problem briefly a couple months after buying it but it seemed to go away after a few days. Is this what every one else with power supply problems are experiencing? I hate to think that after only 850 hours the lamp is going out because the image is still plenty bright enough for me and the lamp cost is going to be rough. Also if I call SONY and file a claim do I ask for it to go directly to Laredo or do they pick the service center? This sucks I really wanted to get through the holidays before loosing my projector for how ever long it takes to repair the problem.

You may be able to make it through the holidays but Mr. Murphy may rear his ugly head at any moment. Sony repaired mine and the new bulb was free under warranty. I had about 300 hours on mine. A new bulb does help the hurt...
post #11 of 38 Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am not sure if this is the problem that everyone is having, but your problem is nearly identical to mine except I stopped getting the "ping" noise each time. That caused me to send in the projector in for repair.

I packed up projector last night, in its beaten up box. Three times shipping in the same box has cause a considerable amount of wear and tear to the box. Hope it makes it in one piece.

I will let everyone know the outcome of my situation. I hope to have it back before christmas.
post #12 of 38 Old 11-21-2006, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I am not sure if this is the problem that everyone is having, but your problem is nearly identical to mine except I stopped getting the "ping" noise each time. That caused me to send in the projector in for repair.

I packed up projector last night, in its beaten up box. Three times shipping in the same box has cause a considerable amount of wear and tear to the box. Hope it makes it in one piece.

I will let everyone know the outcome of my situation. I hope to have it back before christmas.

When Sony returned my PJ it was shrink wrapped in plastic and the box was filled with bubble wrap to protect the PJ.

Good luck for a christmas return. One suggestion. To get them to enter the unit in their system instaed of letting it sit for 5 days or so, call Laredo the day after it arrives. I didn't do that and it ended up adding a few days for them to "officially" receive the PJ.
post #13 of 38 Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sony precious stones will be off my shopping list for a looong time.

Thank you guys.
post #14 of 38 Old 11-22-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Mr. Maxwell. Not Mr. Murphy. Mr. Maxwell thought that Mr. Murphy was an incurable optimist.

Why is it that two of my boys are having these problems? Very strange. Were they from the same batch? I dunno. Could it be that Sony is curing what breaks but doesn't know what say down or up stream is causing it to break?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #15 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After some negotiating with Sony I have a deal on the table. I haven't accepted it yet, but this is their deal. They have offered to repair my projector and send it back to me and pay for all my shipping costs. Then when they get a BRAND NEW VPL-VW100 in stock they will exchange that new unit with my current repaired unit. Good deal or bad deal?

I might go with this and when they send me the new unit sealed in a box, sell it. I also have a brand new bulb and mounting bracket which may sweeten the deal for some prospective buyer.
post #16 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

After some negotiating with Sony I have a deal on the table. I haven't accepted it yet, but this is their deal. They have offered to repair my projector and send it back to me and pay for all my shipping costs. Then when they get a BRAND NEW VPL-VW100 in stock they will exchange that new unit with my current repaired unit. Good deal or bad deal?

I might go with this and when they send me the new unit sealed in a box, sell it. I also have a brand new bulb and mounting bracket which may sweeten the deal for some prospective buyer.

Sounds like a winner for you, short of a refund. Lots of 1080P offerings out there right now that might be more compelling to you...
post #17 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 AM

My Ruby pinged once in the past and wouldnt start up about 6 months ago. I then removed the power plug from the unit waited 30 seconds . Replugged it in and has worked fine since. This might be worth a try.
post #18 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Scope thanks for the help but my Ruby has been plagued with problems. I tried almost everything short of pulling it completely apart.
post #19 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got another call from Sony and made a deal. They are sending me old projector repaired for now and in three weeks when they get a brand new sealed in box Ruby in stock they will send me that one and I will send back to them back old Ruby. On top of that, I got them to send me a free bulb for my trouble.
post #20 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got another call from Sony and made a deal. They are sending me old projector repaired for now and in three weeks when they get a brand new sealed in box Ruby in stock they will send me that one and I will send back to them back old Ruby. On top of that, I got them to send me a free bulb for my trouble.

Anyone want to buy a Ruby bulb for a deal? I will have two.
post #21 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
So the original Ruby that you bought you get to keep as well?
post #22 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No... have to return that. But they are repairing my old unit and sending it back to me to use until a new unit can be secured. At which time they will send me the new unit, then I return the old unit.
post #23 of 38 Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
stepmback: That isn't too bad for Customer service... Friend of mine bought the JVC RP LoCos TV had 3 bulbs go bad after the 3rd one in under a year they still would not replace his set with a new one I have had very good luck so far with Sony FPs, and I am buying a Pearl next week, I will also be buying the extended for peace of mind.
post #24 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got my old Ruby back on Tuesday and installed it last night. I spent an hour or two messing around with it. One thing I noticed was that it started on the first "ping" which it never did before. One other thing I noticed was that there is almost zero MC on any points of the screen. There MIGHT be one pixel in the upper right corner but that may be as little as half a pixel. Before I sent it in the project had visible miss convergence at almost every point. Not bad, maybe one or two at the most, but you could easily see the red push on the cross hatch lense tests. Now, it is almost perfect. I am very impressed.

I wonder what they changed on the projector because it still have the same serial number? Maybe all the guts?

Now I wait till next week for them to send me a brand new.
post #25 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

What are you going to do if your reparied unit is better than the new one?

Mattias Ohlson
post #26 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does not matter. I am going to sell the new one unopened along with the spare bulb they are sending me. Anyone intersted?
post #27 of 38 Old 12-14-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 106
That is a good deal. Which pj would you go with then?

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #28 of 38 Old 12-15-2006, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

That is a good deal. Which pj would you go with then?

(holding breath) and the answer is???
post #29 of 38 Old 12-15-2006, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I plan on the JVC RS1 if it is as good as everyone says. I want to see one in action first before I buy.
post #30 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Can you tell me if you experienced the same problem as me. My Ruby will power up (green indicator light) but will not display an image from a video source or the Ruby status menu. I have contacted the Sony reseller and they suggested I replace the bulb. The Ruby is not displaying a red light indicator which hints of a bulb replacement. I am trying to determine if I have a bigger problem than a bulb replacement. The bulb usage life is below 700 hours.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw100 Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - Vw100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page