post #631 of 643 Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones_Rush View Post

You can sit wherever you like, but if it happens to fall below 1.5 times screen width, you are going to get a smoother pic with a 1080p projector.

You'll get no argument from me there. I haven't actually done the math, but this is the chart I used to determine whether or not the additional resolution would be visible at my seating distance. The result? It would.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hit...esolution.html

Of course, there is also the issue of SDE, as discussed previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 643 Old 07-31-2008, 03:29 PM

Liked: 10
A friend of mine has the Marantz VP12S3 (DLP 720p) and he is thinking about to buy a new one 1080p projector, like Sanyo PLV-Z2000, to use with Blu-ray.

What do you think about? Worth?

Consider that he is seated in a distance that allows him to see the benefits of a 1080p projection.

We are considering contrast, shadow detail, colors, etc.

Who wins? Marantz VP12S3 or Sanyo Z2000?

And about Sony VPL-VW40??
post #633 of 643 Old 01-16-2009, 02:13 PM

Not sure if this came up in the discussion, I didn't read all 22 pages but.....don't the lenses have their sweet spots? For photography, lenses exhibit different traits at different focal points, f-stops, and at different spots away from the center of lens (e.g., as you move away from the center of the lens there could be less sharpness, fringe, chromatic aberration, etc). Also, are the PC's running the same SW levels and the same HW? Picture could vary depending on the video card setup as well, although I think I read each projector was tuned and I assume this means tuned with the correct tools/meters. =)

post #634 of 643 Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
yep, lens do have a sweet spot. I remember when I was looking into the Mits HC3100, I read that it needed to be at a particular zoom to avoid chromatic aberration.

===================================
My Riser | My LED Star Ceiling | My HTPC Build
post #635 of 643 Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds27 View Post

Not sure if this came up in the discussion, I didn't read all 22 pages but.....don't the lenses have their sweet spots? For photography, lenses exhibit different traits at different focal points, f-stops, and at different spots away from the center of lens (e.g., as you move away from the center of the lens there could be less sharpness, fringe, chromatic aberration, etc). Also, are the PC's running the same SW levels and the same HW? Picture could vary depending on the video card setup as well, although I think I read each projector was tuned and I assume this means tuned with the correct tools/meters. =)

Wow! It is now 2 years after we did the shoot-out and I am amazed this thread is still alive!
Anyway to answer your questions, we used two HTPCs with identical Hardware and Software configuration (as stated in the first spot). Also, if I remember correctly, both Marantz projectors have the same Conica-Minolta lens and were calibrated individually by an ISF prof.

A Never Ending Quest Τowards Visual Nirvana..
post #636 of 643 Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Yasou Takis !

Nikos.
post #637 of 643 Old 01-16-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yasou kai esena!

A Never Ending Quest Τowards Visual Nirvana..
post #638 of 643 Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Your rulez, this is going to my sig, to all those experts that CAN see the difference from "milles away".
post #639 of 643 Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

Your rulez, this is going to my sig, to all those experts that CAN see the difference from "milles away".

I think that is the key - I can sit much closer to my screen with a 1080p projector and a high definition source then I ever could watching a 720p projector.

From " miles away ", my old NEC HT1000 looked great with 480p DVD's ! Boy, have we come a long way in just a few short years!!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #640 of 643 Old 08-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I think that is the key - I can sit much closer to my screen with a 1080p projector and a high definition source then I ever could watching a 720p projector.

From " miles away ", my old NEC HT1000 looked great with 480p DVD's ! Boy, have we come a long way in just a few short years!!!

True but how close would you sit from your tv, most of the people sit 9+ft from their tvs so 1080p is not a benefit, those superhuman eyes that can see the difference from 720p and 1080p in a 50" HDTV from 12 ft, don't see a real difference in resolution they just see a better panel, cause most of 720p tvs are entry levels, while the 1080p have better comp and better IQ.

What will happen when resolution goes upper you'll sit 1ft away from your 50" tv to see the benefits of a higher resolution TV, that's is just commercial thing, unless you get a really big screen.
post #641 of 643 Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 PM

well exactly. but really its not that people will sit 1ft from a screen, because there is always that depth feel to a big screen. generally people will become move onto larger screens. i recently started using a projector as main source of viewing, tv, sport, games, and movies.

take into account a similar viewing distance of aroudn 2-3m, not sure what that is in ft sorry, i have always sat about this distance from tvs ive had. it works out well for furniture placement in a room, speakers etc, sofas yada yada. but now i find 110" to be normal at this viewing distance, when it wasnt too long ago i had a 37" lcd, then 42", 50", was going for 60-65" and jumped into a day to day projector instead after much debates over best tvs, future of tvs, technologies improving like graphics cards.

i only have a 720p setup at the moment as it was a temporary purchase to see how i would suit using a projector full time, two thumbs up for that purchase !!

but really, after having had 1080p and 720p tvs, i really find the 720p projector has been fine for me. at times i can tell, like with text etc, but in general im more concerned at video bitrates and filming techniques than the resolution. 720p - 1080p, they are both a step up from DVD.

also the first images of this thread, when i started reading it i was sure the bottom was 1080p due to the detail of the leaves and tree branches. just passed it around to some buddies at work and said what looks liek 1080p. all thought bottom. now think that when a movie plays you dont pause it every 5 seconds and review the image for 2 mins. you may at first to confirm your expensive purchase was worth it. but in general viewing terms you wont have enough time to properly analyse the difference.
post #642 of 643 Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenz View Post

also the first images of this thread, when i started reading it i was sure the bottom was 1080p due to the detail of the leaves and tree branches. just passed it around to some buddies at work and said what looks liek 1080p. all thought bottom. now think that when a movie plays you dont pause it every 5 seconds and review the image for 2 mins. you may at first to confirm your expensive purchase was worth it. but in general viewing terms you wont have enough time to properly analyse the difference.

I now have a 1080p projector and one day I accidentally fed 720p output from my blu-ray while watching Spiderman3. I was sitting there going, wow, this is beautiful. I pushed the Info button just to be sure I was seeing 1080p instead of 1080i. I was shocked to see that I was only watching 720p.

The difference is subtle and can only be seen on very good quality material.

I contend that for a lot of supposed 1080p material, you are only seeing upscaled 720p or worse.
post #643 of 643 Old 08-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
A couple of years back I actually watched the Superbowl in *480p* without realizing it. Ok, I did sort of know that my picture quality seemed a bit off but I thought that was because of the PC decoders (I was watching a HDHomerun feed). It never occurred to me I was watching 480p (I guess upscaled to my display resolution) until I went back later to see the recording.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page