Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm intrigued by the latest Stewart offerings: the FireHawk SST, designed with the Ruby in mind, and the new FireHawk G3.

Currently, I've got the Da-lite Matte Gray screen, and since my 004 was updated & calibrated, I've noticed that there is a subtle blue cast in dark areas, and a general muddyingf of near black. BTW, the new gamma curves installed with the 004 1080p update improve black crush, so I see more detail in low light areas, but this is showing the limits of the old Da-lite screen.

Both these new FireHawks sound great butI'm wondering:
Am I gonna notice an improvement that justifies what will be a considerable cost?

You experience is requested - thanks! :D

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I doubt the SST would be right for you. As I understand it, it was designed with a bunch of compromises to offset the less than best viewing environment that Sony assumed many many Pearl owners would have. The G3 would be a bteer choice for you. If I remember, you have very good viewing conditions. Also i think it would better match your projector's bulb.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have a very good viewing setup, why not get a ST130 or some other form of "invisible" screen... and let your projector do the work.

Jim
post #4 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not wanting to start a flame war. But perhaps the gray might be needed to improve the blacks. Mike will be getting a variety of screen materials from Stewart to test shortly. Depending on the blacks with a white screen, Studeotech130 might be a better choice.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
Not wanting to start a flame war. But perhaps the gray might be needed to improve the blacks. Mike will be getting a variety of screen materials from Stewart to test shortly. Depending on the blacks with a white screen, Studeotech130 might be a better choice.
From what I understand, the G3 is superior in eliminating reflections. This would be a factor to consider in my HT. I have control of light, but it's definately not a cave - on purpose; below is the current Da-Mat:
http://jmikef.com/images/da-mat_screen.jpg
A shot of the 004 being hung:
http://jmikef.com/Qualia_hang2.jpg

J.Mike
post #6 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep. With white walls and ceiling you want a Firehawk. G3 should do the trick.

Mark Haflich

post #7 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Agree with Mark. I'm using the FH G2 in a room similar to yours and the screen is excellent paired with the Ruby. It should be better with your 004. (and the G3 is supposed to be an improvement over the G2, but I'm not sure why.)

Jim
post #8 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

OT: The 004 is stil the sexiest PJ out there!

I hope you find the right screen.

That is all I have to add.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
post #9 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The bigest change with the G3 over the G2 is the lack of speckles on the screen surface. Though the speckles didn't affect the image, on close inspection of the fabric consumers could see them and would think their screen was defective.The G3 is a reformulation of the sprayed on reflective coating and presents on close inspection no speckles. Fixes something that wsn't really broken but eliminates a lot of complaints. :)

Stewart screens are made with one of two fabrics. A white and a gray. Once the fabric is chosen, the various models within those fabrics depends on the sprayed on reflective coating. Amazing what you learn on a plant tour.

Mark Haflich

post #10 of 50 Old 12-13-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mike. Painting your room a darker color will make a bigger improvement than a new screen

Screen Reviews

post #11 of 50 Old 12-14-2006, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg
Mike. Painting your room a darker color will make a bigger improvement than a new screen
You are the 2nd person to say that. Again, I don't want the cave look. What would darker walls do to improve the picture (esp color balance)? I though a gray matte screen would reject reflections, and the FireHawk would be even better at cross rejections. I must be missing something.

J.Mike
post #12 of 50 Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike, FWIW, I had somewhat of a reflection problem in my HT due to smooth finished structolite plaster walls. I found the first generation Firehawk to do a much better job of rejecting reflections. However, not sure you would want any gain in a room that size with the lumens the Qualia puts out.

Maybe you need a bigger screen! Like wall to wall! :D

Time for me to pay a return visit to your house. I gotta see this beast in action.

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #13 of 50 Old 12-14-2006, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck
Mike, FWIW, I had somewhat of a reflection problem in my HT due to smooth finished structolite plaster walls. I found the first generation Firehawk to do a much better job of rejecting reflections. However, not sure you would want any gain in a room that size with the lumens the Qualia puts out.

Maybe you need a bigger screen! Like wall to wall! :D

Time for me to pay a return visit to your house. I gotta see this beast in action.
Me Casa Su Casa.
It would be good to see you again - we can whine how the 'Skins suck. Are you in town this season?

J.Mike
post #14 of 50 Old 12-14-2006, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara
You are the 2nd person to say that. Again, I don't want the cave look. What would darker walls do to improve the picture (esp color balance)? I though a gray matte screen would reject reflections, and the FireHawk would be even better at cross rejections. I must be missing something.
You can stop room reflections where they happen...at the walls/ceiling. Darker paint doesn't mean paint them black.... just darker. Pick a nice neutral color and go with it. It will also make your room look bigger. This is a far easier, more effective, and less expensive than believing a new screen will solve this problem.

Screens are not miracle workers

Screen Reviews

post #15 of 50 Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll second Tryg's comment. You have just about the worst case scenario there. The white ceiling and light colored walls are going to destroy your effective contrast ratio regardless of the screen you choose.

Fix the environment first, if you are still not satisfied with the image, then spend the $ for the screen.

Just my $.02

Vern
post #16 of 50 Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg
It will also make your room look bigger.
Painting a room DARKER will make it look BIGGER?
Surely you jest.

J.Mike, if you go the route of buying a new screen, definitely go bigger!

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

post #17 of 50 Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Agree. I had a PJ for a long time in a similar room. Recently moved everything to a new room with mid color walls and dark ceiling. The difference was substantial. you will be surprised. On a different note if painting the room is not an option have some one build a black shadow box around the screen which can also hide the speakers if wished.

You will see a much better ansi CR among other things.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #18 of 50 Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 PM

Another possibility is to try a lime wash paint.
We used this and I think it can be useful.
Lime wash is flatter than flat latex paint. I didn't want a dark color since this is in our living room.
We also had the wood ceiling sandblasted which gave it a somewhat rough texture and made it utterly reflectionless.
When the latex paint is made, instead of adding acrylic they add powdered limestone. Our painter considers himself an artist and used a large brush and an arcing/sweeping motion.
The resulting paint can have a suede look depending on the mode of application.

Rick
post #19 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 01:26 AM

I want to add something J. Mike,

I recently changed from FireHawk G1 to ST130 G3.

Going by your room shot of the screen and sofa. It should have a different height placement if you decide to go with the FireHawk. Your center speaker is very low height so it can easily be accomodated. Strive for having 1/3 of the screen height below your eyes. The FH has a 30 degrees half gain angle vs ST130 a 75 degrees wide half gain angle.

On the other hand, I would wouch for Studiotek 130 G3 with your fine projector. The Firehawk doesn't have the same color fidelity as the ST130 and that is what I would like to bring forward with a Xenon powered projector.

Painting your room slightly darker and matte will help all screens.
post #20 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Definitely invest in darker paint first. Then if you are not happy look at another screen... Tyrg is right! ;)

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #21 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
Definitely invest in darker paint first. Then if you are not happy look at another screen... Tyrg is right! ;)
Everyone - thanks for the excellent advice. Ain't AVS great or what. :D

I've decided to try re-painting the theater. I just got a discount coupon from a firm I've used before (they are the best in Northern VA) in the mail this week, so the 'gods' are telling me to paint first. I'm looking at the suede line of paints available at Home Depot.

J.Mike
post #22 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

J. Mike, I have Behr's "Black Suede" flat finish from Home Depot on my ceilings and it's great at knocking the ambient light reflections down.

-Steve
post #23 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike, I've given up in complete despair when it comes to the 'skins. :)

You could use a bigger screen if you could figure out how to get the speakers out of the way.

I continue to be amazed at how well my Firehawk works with every projector I've tried on it.

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #24 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare
J. Mike, I have Behr's "Black Suede" flat finish from Home Depot on my ceilings and it's great at knocking the ambient light reflections down.
So your ceiling is actually black? Wow, that's what I call dedication.
post #25 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I put a dark carpet in (with a pattern like a hotel lobby) and it made a pretty good sized difference.

I tried that Ralph Lauren suede paint and it takes a LOT of skill to put it on where it looks decent, and it doesn't cover worth a darn (took three coats). Careful with those "looks" and "textures". You NEED an artist.

Actually just a tan or taupe walls can work wonders. Taupe is probably better as it is a cross between brown and gray and isn't as depressing as pure gray.

I really like the flat/limestone idea too.

And the bigger screen idea.

And the lower screen idea.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #26 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I have milk chocolate colored walls, but a white ceiling and light carpet. I just can't do the cave look.
post #27 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Few realize how important it is to have a cave. The viewing environment often determines what screen is appropriate. That said dark non reflective tones are indicated. It doesn't have to black. My ceiling is totally black but there are a variety of blacks, Different squares. Some dark tile, some absorbtive and covered in black grill cloths and some no grill cloth. KInd of decorative. Walls are dark gray fabric with subtle black design, fabric covers a variet of absorbtive, reflective (but base absorbtive), and diffusion.

My mistake was a dark navy carpet. Reflective and glows. I covered the carpeted stage with black felt. HUGH improvement (the screen is close to the stage elevation) Someday I will switch to black carpet but almost all carpet, even black, is somewhat reflective due to the synthetics it is made from.

Mark Haflich

post #28 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

No can do cave, will accept tradeoffs in image quality.
post #29 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
So your ceiling is actually black? Wow, that's what I call dedication.
It's actually black ceilings with red soffits.

The black upper ceiling is flat Black Suede, the soffits are eggshell Chianti Red, except for right above the screen, which is also Chianti Red, but in flat.

Other shots in my website you see there show what it looks like under different lighting conditions.

-Steve
post #30 of 50 Old 12-15-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
No can do cave, will accept tradeoffs in image quality.
Yeah, ours isn't a "cave" either... but given that it was "bounus" space we opted to do a darker theme.... but it's not a dedicated theater... it's plenty usable for cards, games, sports, etc...

-Steve
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page