post #151 of 169 Old 01-05-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenC View Post

Depends, if you have 6 people wearing white there will be more reflections, if they wear black, probably a non-issue.

LOL!!!
I can see it now - STRICT DRESS CODE for my home theater.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 169 Old 01-10-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I recently spoke with Don Stewart to get his opinions on this as well. In summary his recommendation was to stick with the Firehawk, even though it would cost him a sale.

He was saying that despite the great advancement in black levels in pjs recently, that if I put up an ANSI checkerboard pattern and held up a piece of StudioTek material half way in one of the dark squares, that I would be surprised to see how much lighter the black level was on the ST material compared to the FH.

His main point was that people do not have a very good reference for bright white in their mind and have a hard time judging bright white without a simultaneous direct comparison to something even brighter. And that on the contrary, people do know what dark black looks like without any such reference.

He was saying that for his tastes at least, for home viewing he would rather have blacker looking blacks because the better black level is more satisfying since it is easily identifiable as such, whereas the whites will still look bright white even if they are a bit dimmer than they would appear on the StudioTek (and you wouldn't realize a difference, whereas with brighter blacks you would).

He also felt like the StudioTek would no doubt lower my ANSI CR and intra-scene CR compared to the Firehawk despite my room treatments unless it was close to a total bat cave (which I do not have).

Considering how much effort I've put into making adjustments to the room (velvet, rugs etc) to bring up my ANSI and intra-scene CR, and his point about having a bit better blacks with the Firehawk I've decided for now at least to stick with the Firehawk. Fortunately this is the cheaper option!
post #153 of 169 Old 01-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thanks for posting his input. I feel better now. I had a similar albeit less experienced opinion and this thread was making me doubt my own eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #154 of 169 Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So your choice then is all based on the blacks, and nothing about the color and saturation and the rest of the things that make up a good picture. This makes me very sad. Based on that argument we should all have grey screens! I have a great deal of respect for Don and his product, but in this case I think he's very wrong.

I wish I could show you what I see with a white screen.

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
Optimized by William PhelpsÂ
post #155 of 169 Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input William. Since I take my calibration measurements off the screen (or at least based on a trained meter that was based off measurements at the screen), is it possible that I have calibrated my color and saturation etc to counter-act the affects of the screen?

The other key deciding factor was related to ANSI CR and intra-scene CR that I've been working so hard to maximize. I know you feel that takes a lower priority to these other characteristics. However I just don't want to take a chance that I'll be "undoing" so much of my hard work to try and get the reflections under control. My room is in good shape now reflection control-wise, but far from a cave.
post #156 of 169 Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ric,

Have you considered the Silverstar? Or is it a non-consideration for you because of how reflective it is of direct ambient light?

Mike

My setup, still in progress:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #157 of 169 Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I understand the SilverStar also has an elevated black level and also some sheen to it. I'm very happy with the FH and content sticking with it. It'll be PLENTY bright for my tastes even with an aged lamp for the RS1 (106" diag FH should get 25-30ftL on a new bulb with the RS1 in high lamp mode).

I was mainly looking into the StudioTek because I heard the better black levels for current pjs are negating the need to get help from the screen in this regard.

But if the blacks are really getting as black as what Tryg was reporting on the RS1, I may need to rethink this eventually. My plan for now is to be content with the FH. Then once I have my RS1 I'll try some experiments with StudioTek samples to see just how elevated the black level looks with some fairly low level APL scenes and the ANSI CR pattern and go from there.
post #158 of 169 Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
That sounds like a great idea. I wish I still had my old firehawk screen, but I sold it off when we moved to Dallas while we were having our new house built (before it fell through because of a contract contingency.) 8(

Oh well, I am more than likely gonna want a bigger screen anyways.

My setup, still in progress:

post #159 of 169 Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE_dRPoh8J0

This video shows differences between these screens. Please note that HT in which they showed it had light walls and ceiling.
post #160 of 169 Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 242
You realize that no one has posted in this thread for over 6 years, right? tongue.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #161 of 169 Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Yes indeed :-)
I am also a person who has a problem with choosing a right screen and I found this post via google. Although it is so old it might be still helpfull for people who are looking for a solution ;-)
post #162 of 169 Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Why anyone would even consider a grey screen given today's projectors is beyond my understanding.

William

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
Optimized by William PhelpsÂ
post #163 of 169 Old 06-02-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Hey William. Nice to see you posting here. What are you up to now?

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #164 of 169 Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Why anyone would even consider a grey screen given today's projectors is beyond my understanding.

William

While I would have to agree with you that compared to a white screen, a grey screen will have compromised colors and whites, if your watching a projector in a a white room with some lights on ( a typical senario for using a grey screen ), you're already compromising the picture. So, you choose your poison so to speak. Especially if your wife says black walls and ceilings = divorce ! eek.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #165 of 169 Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM

I got samples of ST130, GrayHawk and Firehawk from Stewart dealer.
I really was toward the ST130, but when I saw difference in black with FH I couldn't accept it (although colors and white looked much better on ST130).
As Craig wrote above my wife said "Black walls and ceiling = divorce" smile.gif
I cannot wait a day when I'll create a dedicated HT room (black cave) and put ST130 inside it frown.gif
post #166 of 169 Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
I cannot wait a day when I'll create a dedicated HT room (black cave) and put ST130 inside it

Yes, but until that comes, enjoy a pretty damn decent picture on a Firehawk. I'd rather have a not perfect home theater than no home theater. smile.gif

If I ever become homeless, look for a guy pushing a shopping cart with a projector mounted to it along with a Honda 1000 generator. That will be me, shining The Big Lebowski on the side of a building - refusing to give up my home theater - no matter what ! eek.gif

post #167 of 169 Old 06-06-2013, 02:51 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Yes, but until that comes, enjoy a pretty damn decent picture on a Firehawk. I'd rather have a not perfect home theater than no home theater. smile.gif

If I ever become homeless, look for a guy pushing a shopping cart with a projector mounted to it along with a Honda 1000 generator. That will be me, shining The Big Lebowski on the side of a building - refusing to give up my home theater - no matter what ! eek.gif

LOL.. that's actually a pretty disturbing mental picture :-)

Well done.

post #168 of 169 Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

My picture is you free climbing a Yosemite Decimal System 13.4d plus rock wall with a Sim2 Lumis strapped to your back.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #169 of 169 Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My picture is you free climbing a Yosemite Decimal System 13.4d plus rock wall with a Sim2 Lumis strapped to your back.

Maybe I'll haul that shopping cart up like Warren Hardings " Dolt Cart " and show Capt. Kirk climbing El Cap.....on El Cap !!.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page