Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 451 Old 12-23-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EDIT: This post has been updated with additional measurements and information.

After being asked to do the first virtual AVS interview at the Expo where you guys asked the questions and then I cornered the reps from JVC and got them to respond, it's interesting that someone has asked me to post the first anonymous AVS projector review- of the RS1 (EDIT: it's actually an HD1) no less!!! This is the info that I have so far and more will be forthcoming (probably after Christmas). Btw, this isn't a joke it is from a reputable source and someone who I can vouch for who doesn't want to post here.

Picture of the unit:

Picture of the unit label:

Note: Measurements below were measured at the middle of the throw and with 21hrs on the bulb.

on/off CR:
12000:1 middle setting (note: I assume this means OOB "natural setting")
13000:1 user1 setting. (note: after some adjustments to improve D65 tracking)

(note: no significant change in on/off CR with lamp setting).

Modified ANSI CR (using Greg Rogers methodology):
258:1 normal lamp setting.
260:1 high lamp setting.

lamp setting on high increases fan speed and noise noticeably.

Lumens:
637 lumens on high setting
535 lumens on normal setting

CIE x,y primary and secondary coordinates:
R 0.658 0.341 (rec 709 r - 0.630, 0.340)
G 0.297 0.688 (rec 709 g - 0.310, 0.595)
B 0.141 0.053 (rec 709 b - 0.155, 0.070)

C 0.209 0.326
M 0.326 0.155
Y 0.447 0.543

---------------------------------------

Updated measurements:
Modified ANSI CR yields repeatably consistent numbers of 270:1 (273:1 max) at mid throw.

On/Off CR was remeasured using multiple instruments and many measurements (to make sure no samples were in error or that there was a significant deviation between readings). The repeatability and consistency between measurements and between instruments indicates that these are accurate numbers folks.

On/Off was remeasured at 12000:1 within a few percent each time (Initial 13000:1 reading may have been in error).

Modified ANSI and On/Off CR at various throws:
Max Wide
ANSI 285:1
On/Off 10100:1

At Max Tele Zoom
ANSI: 245:1
On/Off: 13733:1

-------------------------------------

Verbal description:
"But OMG, the depth and the detail. And when TheaterTek ends and the logo comes back up it's this amazing graphic in a sea of black. I can hardly see the screen.

The Pearl looks just OK compared to this. I'll take 12000:1 without DI over 15500 with DI any day. And very very little corner brightening

OMG is it crisp.

I doubt anyone who has one on order is going to regret it."

--------------------------

Additional convergence info:
Within 1/2 pixel in the center and consistent across the image

Shading:
OOB Shading/white field uniformity is not perfect, a little coloration is noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 451 Old 12-23-2006, 10:50 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
I haven't been following the long thread so don't know if the lumens info above is new news but it seems like a lot of people will be disappointed with those numbers as I seem to remember that 800 was being touted as a real calibrated number and a lot of people want the high lumens. Don't get me wrong, 500 is more than enough for me. But 800 sure would have been even nicer.
post #3 of 451 Old 12-23-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

I haven't been following the long thread so don't know if the lumens info above is new news but it seems like a lot of people will be disappointed with those numbers as I seem to remember that 800 was being touted as a real calibrated number and a lot of people want the high lumens. Don't get me wrong, 500 is more than enough for me. But 800 sure would have been even nicer.

Yeah the spec is 700 lumens, 15000:1 on/off @ D65 with 300-350:1 ANSI CR being the rumor. FWIW, Cine4home confirmed the JVC specs. It's possible that it's just this particular unit. I know the reviewer is also double checking the results just to make sure but so far it does seem a bit disappointing. Enough so that I changed my avatar lol.
post #4 of 451 Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 PM

Liked: 10
...and so began the end times....

Seriously, I think I can slum it with these specs.

Disclaimer: Totally biased RS1 fanclown...cannot be relied upon for any type of objectivity regarding same. You have been warned.
post #5 of 451 Old 12-23-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark P
What kind of status does this unit have. Is it the latest preprpduction type?

I expect that the contrast difference 12000-13000:1 vs 15000:1 is one of calibration. The way you calibrate WILL make an impact on realized contrast.

My guick feelings on this
lumen: It is good since it will be a little higher at wide angle and a little less at tele.
contrast: This is very good considering the ligth output at that contrast. The question I ask is the influence of calibration upon measured contrast ratio

ANSI cr: This is disappointing BUT is room dependent. With no ambient light you can measure on/off without trouble in any room. ANSI cr will be heavily influenced on the way you measure it. I think it is too early to say that the projectors performance is not 300-350:1.

Can somebody comment on the color coordinates?

Mattias Ohlson
post #6 of 451 Old 12-23-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlson View Post

Mark P
What kind of status does this unit have. Is it the latest preprpduction type?

I expect that the contrast difference 12000-13000:1 vs 15000:1 is one of calibration. The way you calibrate WILL make an impact on realized contrast.

My guick feelings on this
lumen: It is good since it will be a little higher at wide angle and a little less at tele.
contrast: This is very good considering the ligth output at that contrast. The question I ask is the influence of calibration upon measured contrast ratio

ANSI cr: This is disappointing BUT is room dependent. With no ambient light you can measure on/off without trouble in any room. ANSI cr will be heavily influenced on the way you measure it. I think it is too early to say that the projectors performance is not 300-350:1.

Can somebody comment on the color coordinates?

Rec 709 standard color primaries in x,y are:
R - 0.630,0.340,
G - 0.310,0.595,
B - 0.155,0.070

Reading between the lines it looks like these values match very closely with cine4home's RS1 review. The actual x,y values aren't available on their review but it's possible to get a feel from their chromaticity diagram. It looks similar to a Ruby.

As far as on/off CR goes, I totally agree with you that these numbers could change based on the calibration. Speaking of which, the calibration was straight out of the box JVC (which is D65).
post #7 of 451 Old 12-23-2006, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark P.
What is your take on possible room influence on the achieved ANSI measurement?

Jason´s review is now even more exciting to look forward to. Will it be more in line with Cine4Home or this review. Then the real discussion can start. I am hoping the ANSI will turn out to be a little higher, close to the rumored 350:1.

Mattias Ohlson
post #8 of 451 Old 12-23-2006, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I was mistaken the color was adjusted for the User1 setting (not out of the box as I stated earlier).

The ANSI measurement was done at the projector (probe looking directly into the projector) with the sensor close to the projector so room effects shouldn't make an appreciable difference.

Just to clarify it's actually an HD1 rather than an RS1.
post #9 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Jason´s review is now even more exciting to look forward to. Will it be more in line with Cine4Home or this review. Then the real discussion can start. I am hoping the ANSI will turn out to be a little higher, close to the rumored 350:1.

I can't wait for Jason's review. Hopefully the lumens, on/off and ANSI will be higher.

The anonymous reviewer is continuing to check the setup so we'll see if the numbers go up. If the on/off CR were increased to get 15000:1 and the ANSI were increased by the same % it would yield 320:1. So there is hope that these numbers will get better.

Oh yeah and I posted some photos of the unit on post #1.
post #10 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 12:07 AM

Mark

Just to be clear, is this supposed to be an actual final production unit?

Disclaimer: Totally biased RS1 fanclown...cannot be relied upon for any type of objectivity regarding same. You have been warned.
post #11 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by units View Post

Mark

Just to be clear, is this supposed to be an actual final production unit?

Yes!
post #12 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 12:12 AM

Mark

How about some first impressions? Did the reviewer happen to mention what he/she thinks of the image? Even if those #' stayed that way. Those are still very good.
post #13 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex512 View Post

Mark

How about some first impressions? Did the reviewer happen to mention what he/she thinks of the image? Even if those #' stayed that way. Those are still very good.

Yes those are still terrific numbers. There is still a possibility for improvement. Hopefully the reviewer will provide some comments about the image when he/she has a chance. I'm also hopeful for more info on the shading and convergence....
post #14 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems like we will land at
600+ ANSI lumen
roughly 15000:1
close to 300:1 ANSI
This is GOOD progress for d-ila.

I wonder what the limit of LC technology is as far as what ANSI cr that is possible. With a pure reflective technology you have no scattering in the LC and no optical density transitions.

Mattias Ohlson
post #15 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It seems like we will land at
600+ ANSI lumen
roughly 15000:1
close to 300:1 ANSI
This is GOOD progress for d-ila.

Yes this is tremendous progress for DILA. Amazing progress for any 3-panel technology even.

Quote:

I wonder what the limit of LC technology is as far as what ANSI cr that is possible. With a pure reflective technology you have no scattering in the LC and no optical density transitions.

It sounds like 20k:1 is the theoretical limit for on/off CR with the current panels and wire grid PBS. ANSI is a good question though. I'm not sure why ANSI CR seems lower than DLP while on/off is higher. Some of it was due to light leakage into the substrate from adjacent pixels which has been improved/reduced with the new light blocking layer between pixels. Switching to a digital backplane also removes the capacitor under each pixel which also helps to mitigate the problem because stray light can't hit the semiconductor and create an electron-hole pair and erroneously bias the pixel. I'm not sure about the other reasons though, any ideas?
post #16 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, since on/off does not in any way reflect light scatter it is not surprising you can have 20000:1 on/off and then 250-300:1 in ANSI at the system level.
I think it is scattering in the LC and transitions between layers of different optical density.

How much of an effect could a lower zoom range have? How many dlps have 2x zoom lens.

I wonder if a lens iris would have any great effect on ANSI. I think you would have to limit light scatter early in the light path.

One way to fix ANSI is to add a low or high resolution lcos panel before the lens. This is a design suggested by Brightside. You have the light engine at 90 degrees to the lens and send the combined 3-panel picture to one extra lcos panel before exiting the lens.

A simpler solution is to hope that laser illumination will cause less light scatter since light from a laser is so well behaved. An early JVC white paper suggest that laser illumination will increase contrast especially at high spatial frequencies. If that is true I guess it would translate to a lower frequency, ANSI cr.

Mattias Ohlson
post #17 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Modified ANSI CR (using Greg Rogers methodology):
258:1 normal lamp setting.
260:1 high lamp setting.

well this no. are a bad surprise .
the sony qualia ruby and pearl have such ansi cr. and i hoped that also this no.is much higher with the new jvc.( 500:1 range)

so seams at least in ansi cr. no one can touch such high end dlp pr. with
the good 3d looking but may this new jvc is the best overall pr. so far
for home cinema.
i will get a demo in early jan.07 and i can compare it a:b to my pearl and the
high end 3 chip full hd dlp from christie .

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
post #18 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Jason´s review is now even more exciting to look forward to. Will it be more in line with Cine4Home or this review.

I predict that Jason's numbers will be even lower as he tends to provide real world numbers of how projectors perform in more typical rooms. If anyone will report higher numbers it will likely be Greg, as I assume that he goes to extremes to measure under perfect lab conditions.
Quote:

I think it is too early to say that the projectors performance is not 300-350:1.

Let's keep in mind that those numbers were 100% RUMORS and that no one has actually measured ANSI on one of these machines. How many people are qualified to judge ANSI by eye?

And so the downward spiral begins....
post #19 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Mark... I liked the old avatar better. My wife even laughed... and normally all I get is a frown when she sees me on AVS .

Krister
post #20 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Btw, this isn't a joke it is from a reputable source and someone who I can vouch for who doesn't want to post here.

Without knowing who took these measurements and what qualifications he has, these numbers don't mean much to me personally. I'm not trying to criticize the "anonymous reviewer" in any way, but rather simply pointing out that there is a huge unknown here. For example, if he had white or black level adjusted improperly by a click or two that could easily change the numbers drastically.
post #21 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 02:58 AM

Do you know if this is the model that we will get in the US?
I'm a bit disappointed also especially with the ANSI.
Thanks for posting the review.
post #22 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

Do you know if this is the model that we will get in the US?
I'm a bit disappointed also especially with the ANSI.
Thanks for posting the review.

Assuming the black finish has no influence on the ANSI contrast performance they are exactly the same
post #23 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

If we put this into perspective and assume thet the lens in HD1 is very good.

Imagine a Qualia 004 with 15000:1 in native contrast. That is what HD1 can turn out to be.

For superior ANSI performance I urge the industry to move to 4-panel designs.

Mattias Ohlson
post #24 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 83
this is actually sad news, not much reason to "upgrade my Pearl" if at all now.
post #25 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

260:1 ... Now that's what I call a revolution or better yet a revelation. Now let's see what happens to all the overblown, hyped-as-usual (some may even call it naive btw) AVS "enthusiasm" around here

If this really turns out to be true (and my educated guess is that it's not far off) the question remains what good is 15000:1 On/Off contrast when it is combined with such an anemic in-picture contrast. And ANSI contrast as a concept still favors DILA - if there would be a method to measure real inter-pixel contrast (like native resolution bursts with alternating full black/white lines (I know, it cannot be done...) DILA/SXRD/LCD/CRT will pale even more in comparison to DLP - and interpixel contrast is much more important (and yet cannot be measured) for all practical purposes than the measurement standard "ANSI contrast". There is (still) nothing that can touch DLP for "punch" and dimensionality. I will take 7000:1 On/Off with 800 ANSI contrast and VERY good inter-pixel contrast any day over 15.000:1 @ 260:1 ANSI and even much worse inter-pixel contrast. Just my 2 cents.

Now go on and tell me why I'm all wrong, ANSI contrast doesn't matter much, CRT still looks the "best" while having a simular combination/relation of ON/Off and ANSI contrast as the JVC and 3 chips are always better than one

Merry Christmas!
post #26 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure the spec jockeys will get their crops twisted in a bunch over this friend of a friend review and take it as gospel.

Hmm. I currently enjoy a front projector with these specs:
1024 X 576
9000K: OOB
1-VGA/RGB input
800:1 contrast
50:1 ANSI
Manual Focus/No Zoom
1000 hr lamp
35dB Fan noise
3 preset gamma settings/ no user control
light spill
300 lumen output

With all of the forthcoming disappointment over the JVC's specs, should I reconsider going with the RS1 as my next projector or will I be dissatisfied?

You guys have a Merry Christmas.

Steve
post #27 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post

I'm sure the spec jockeys will get their crops twisted in a bunch over this friend of a friend review and take it as gospel.

Hmm. I currently enjoy a front projector with these specs:
1024 X 576
9000K: OOB
1-VGA/RGB input
800:1 contrast
50:1 ANSI
Manual Focus/No Zoom
1000 hr lamp
35dB Fan noise
3 preset gamma settings/ no user control
light spill
300 lumen output

With all of the forthcoming disappointment over the JVC's specs, should I reconsider going with the RS1 as my next projector or will I be dissatisfied?

You guys have a Merry Christmas.

My guess is you will be quite satisfied indeed
post #28 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Short throw will likely get the lumens up to 700 ftl. Have them measure short throw.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #29 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I will take 7000:1 On/Off with 800 ANSI contrast and VERY good inter-pixel contrast any day over 15.000:1 @ 260:1 ANSI and even much worse inter-pixel contrast.

I assume that you are talking about the Sharp, and if so, I would agree *IF* it could deliver those specs at a reasonable lumens output like 600 to 800. At 400 lumens on a new lamp (200 after a couple of hundred hours), its beauty will be very short lived.
post #30 of 451 Old 12-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

The Lion,

Amen to that, Brother!

BTW, I enjoy your posts. Informative, Knowledgable, Passionate.

Cheers,

Steve
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page