I want a front pj that looks like the Sony Bravia LCD RPTVs! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Have you guys had an opportunity to see the Sony Bravia XBR2 LCD RPTV? Wow. I mean, wow. This is hands down the best looking picture quality I have ever seen. It easily beats my Sony SXRD A2000 RPTV and Sony Ruby by a HUGE margin.

I saw this at Circuit City. It was running a demo program of some sort - definitely was not coming via satellite. I figure it must have been 1080p fed from a HD DVD or BluRay or some other proprietary player for demo purposes.

Compared to my A2000 and Ruby the Bravia had much more definition, resolution, brilliant color, and was razor, I mean razor sharp - much more so than DLP. Yet it did not look overly digital. It just looked real - so real. I've heard people describe excellent HD quality by saying that its like looking out a window. Well now I know what they are talking about, as I had never experienced this before today. And all with LCD technology? Man was this impressive.

Now, I should say that I do not have a HD DVD or BluRay player and have never had an opportunity to view that level of 1080p on my A2000 or Ruby. So perhaps its just the super high quality of the source that made this set look so amazing. But my gut says its much more than that.

So the big question in my mind is this - is it possible for us to get this level of picture quality out of a front projector? Here we have pjs like the RS1 coming out soon with native contrast that no doubt is far above what the Bravia puts out (speced at 7000:1). Yet its hard to imagine the RS1 or any other front pj topping this image quality. What makes the Bravia so special, and how do we get this level of quality on our 100"+ screens!! ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think there are two things you need to do. First, get yourself a Silverstar screen, and then make the inside of your theater as dark as the inside of that RPTV.

Phil
post #3 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I've seen that same demo in CC. It must be a 1080P disc.
That is the best demo of any T.V. I have ever seen.
I doubt the RS1 will be that good.

Mike
post #4 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I need to add two more things to my list. First, change your Ruby to either the Sharp 20K, or the RS1, and second get a copy of that demo disc.

Phil
post #5 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Have you guys had an opportunity to see the Sony Bravia XBR2 LCD RPTV? Wow. I mean, wow. This is hands down the best looking picture quality I have ever seen. It easily beats my Sony SXRD A2000 RPTV and Sony Ruby by a HUGE margin.

I saw this at Circuit City. It was running a demo program of some sort - definitely was not coming via satellite. I figure it must have been 1080p fed from a HD DVD or BluRay or some other proprietary player for demo purposes.

Compared to my A2000 and Ruby the Bravia had much more definition, resolution, brilliant color, and was razor, I mean razor sharp - much more so than DLP. Yet it did not look overly digital. It just looked real - so real. I've heard people describe excellent HD quality by saying that its like looking out a window. Well now I know what they are talking about, as I had never experienced this before today. And all with LCD technology? Man was this impressive.

Now, I should say that I do not have a HD DVD or BluRay player and have never had an opportunity to view that level of 1080p on my A2000 or Ruby. So perhaps its just the super high quality of the source that made this set look so amazing. But my gut says its much more than that.

So the big question in my mind is this - is it possible for us to get this level of picture quality out of a front projector? Here we have pjs like the RS1 coming out soon with native contrast that no doubt is far above what the Bravia puts out (speced at 7000:1). Yet its hard to imagine the RS1 or any other front pj topping this image quality. What makes the Bravia so special, and how do we get this level of quality on our 100"+ screens!! ?

How is the Black level of the Bravia XBB2 compared to your A2000 and Ruby?

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #6 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 498
My step brother just got one of these and while it is nice, I was not blown away. It must be the demo disc they were using that accounted for a big part of the WOW factor IMO. I would bet if you put in that disc with a Sharp or RS1 it would look as good or better.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #7 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

The one I am talking about wasn't a RPTV it was the Bravia XBR2 46" flat panel LCD.

Mike
post #8 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxx View Post

The one I am talking about wasn't a RPTV it was the Bravia XBR2 46" flat panel LCD.

That is the same one I am talking about

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Agreed on the PQ of the 46XBR2! One metric that may help explain it is that HomeTheaterMag measured it's ANSI CR at 1,217:1!!
post #10 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Agreed on the PQ of the 46XBR2! One metric that may help explain it is that HomeTheaterMag measured it's ANSI CR at 1,217:1!!

Very interesting. Is their review online (I couldn't find it)? What did they measure the on/off CR at and what did the measured color gamut look like? For reference I measured about 13,500:1 on/off CR and 300:1 ANSI CR on my A2000.
post #11 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxx View Post

I've seen that same demo in CC. It must be a 1080P disc.
That is the best demo of any T.V. I have ever seen.

Agreed, in a big way. This is the best PQ I have ever seen by a mile, period.
Quote:
I doubt the RS1 will be that good.

I doubt ANY front pj can top that PQ, at least not any of the pjs coming anytime soon including the RS1. Well, who knows - I've never seen the Sharp 20K but perhaps with its very high ANSI CR and super sharp image it would come close with that same demo disc.
post #12 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post

How is the Black level of the Bravia XBB2 compared to your A2000 and Ruby?

I didn't get a chance to evaluate its black level. The demo disc was showing mostly very bright and punchy outdoor scenes.
post #13 of 104 Old 12-31-2006, 10:35 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
lovingdvd,

I have yet to see a Sony LCD TV I was impressed with so I am intrigued and may stop by CC. Could you confirm which TV you saw? Size? Is XBB2 a specific model # for a specific set? Was this a RP LCD or a flat panel LCD? I know you already said RP but just want to make sure. Also, what did the demo disc contain so I can know if I am seeing the same disc, i.e. nature type stuff, sports etc?
post #14 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Those Bravia LCDs sure are nice to look at.
post #15 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Is that Bravia an RPTV? I don't know why, but I was thinking that Bravia was a line of direct-view LCD sets. I guess I'm just not keeping up with Sony TVs.

On the off-chance that my memory is correct, one thing to keep in mind is that Direct-View LCD panels tend to demo very well because the brightly lit showroom floor plays to their strengths.

If you got that panel home, in a light controlled environment, and compared it to your A2000, you might not feel the same way about the comparison.
post #16 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
It sure is a top class LCD.
Reminds of the Mobil1 synthetics oil ad which says it is a good as Sony Bravia XBR TV.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #17 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

It's an LCD panel made by Samsung clothed in Sony digs --- KDL-46XBR2... There is a 40" version as well KDL-40XBR2... I've seen the demo as well and it was quite good. If you head over to the LCD panel forum you will get more information than you want on these devices.
post #18 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 536
He said it was a RPTV XBR2 not a direct view LCD. So it had to be a 50 or 60, the xbr3 is a 70. I am guessing the demo disc is the one with the river and buildins overseas some place. It is a disc supplies by Sony and has several different loops including trailers. The server is supplied by Sony (has some wierd brand name on the outside, the drive is a Samsung. it outputs 1080i).

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #19 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah but only 46"? Does it come with a set of binoculars?

I want one of those 102" Plasmas or a similar sized flat screen LCD. For $5,000. Gotta have that big picture.

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #20 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My local mall has a Sony Style store and these TV's do have a lot of WOW factor. 1st of all they are not ISF'd and the color and contrast is all punched up. Most peoples eye's tend to like this when watch these in store demo's but if you put on a regular movie dvd in your dark HT room it will hurt your eyes. But for watching HD football in a very bright room these setting will look good.
Go back in to your store and play around with the picture settings...maybe even take in you DVD calibration disc and then you will see what I'm talking about.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #21 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

You should see what that demo looks like on the SONY 40" 1080p Bravia LCD flat
panel.

Anyway, don't be tricked. Run that demo loop in any 1080p display device and it will WOW you over. (The "Open Season" segment is particularly impressive)

Know this, Sony knows a thing or two about marketing and they charge premium prices for it. (You didn't see that demo on Sammys or Pannys did you?)

Signal, as always, is the most important link in the video chain.

Quote:

post #22 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Very interesting. Is their review online (I couldn't find it)? What did they measure the on/off CR at and what did the measured color gamut look like? For reference I measured about 13,500:1 on/off CR and 300:1 ANSI CR on my A2000.

Jan '07 paper issue, Sony KDL46XBR2 LCD

On/Off CR - 1,401:1
ANSI CR - 1,217:1

Red X,Y - .647, .325
Green X,Y - .289, .607
Blue X,Y - .149, .069
post #23 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Dan. I just got a 65 inch 1080p plasma for only a couple of thousand over $5000. I agree it is is not a big set, but mounting it on an articulating mount at least allows it to be placed 2 to 3 ft closer to our viewing position. It then becomes the same size as the 64 inch RPTV it replaced. I do agree that that size for a HT is tiny but we do not use it as a HT. It is for casual viewing only although I will throw a cheap surround receiver and polk sound bar on it as well as a decent video processor and a Sony Blu Ray (my wife watches DVDs in this room sometimes, got to keep her happy, not an easy job).. The primary feed here is DTV.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #24 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
lovingdvd,

Sony uses the Bravia label for their flat panel LCDs and Grand Wega for their LCD and LCOS(SXRD) RPTVs, but both types have XBR2 models. So please let us know if you were looking at a flat panel or an RPTV.
post #25 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for any confusion guys. The set I am referring to is the LCD flat panel. I referred to it as a "RPTV" just from the traditional mindset that it was not a front pj. However technically speaking it sounds like these are not considered RPTVs either. So indeed it is the flat panel LCD.

Specifically the set I saw in CC was this one: "46" BRAVIA XBR® LCD Flat Panel HDTV KDL-46XBR2" . Here is the URL to the SonyStyle site for this pj: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...atpanel_46to52

The demo loop I saw contained a segment from Open Season, a blue sports car, some very cool looking buildings and so forth - no sports that I remember.
post #26 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck View Post

Yeah but only 46"? Does it come with a set of binoculars?

Yep, and that's exactly the point of this thread. As the title says, I want a front pj that can display a picture on my 106" screen that looks like that of this set. It is truly stunning in every sense of the word.
post #27 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post

My local mall has a Sony Style store and these TV's do have a lot of WOW factor. 1st of all they are not ISF'd and the color and contrast is all punched up. Most peoples eye's tend to like this when watch these in store demo's but if you put on a regular movie dvd in your dark HT room it will hurt your eyes. But for watching HD football in a very bright room these setting will look good.
Go back in to your store and play around with the picture settings...maybe even take in you DVD calibration disc and then you will see what I'm talking about.

I have instrumentation and lots of experience calibrating sets so I know all about this and appreciate the points you are making. That being said, what I witnessed that was so impressive was not the colors (which were a bit oversaturated), but rather the stunning clarity, resolution and razor sharp edges (without looking too digital) and overall sharpness/detail.
post #28 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA View Post

Anyway, don't be tricked. Run that demo loop in any 1080p display device and it will WOW you over. (The "Open Season" segment is particularly impressive)

Know this, Sony knows a thing or two about marketing and they charge premium prices for it. (You didn't see that demo on Sammys or Pannys did you?)

Signal, as always, is the most important link in the video chain.

Excellent news indeed. This is what I was hoping to learn from this thread. I wanted to know if the magic here was really coming from the sets capabilities itself or coming from the super high quality demo material. I can only hope that you are correct and that indeed any high quality front projector with this same quality source material could equal or better this Bravia set.

Does anyone know for sure what type of source material and/or machine was feeding that material at CC? Clearly (pun intended) it has to be 1080p.
post #29 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Red X,Y - .647, .325
Green X,Y - .289, .607
Blue X,Y - .149, .069

Thanks for posting this. However clearly something must be wrong. Only 1,401:1 on/off CR? Sony rates these at 7,000:1 and I measured 13,500:1 on my KDSA2000 SXRD... ?
post #30 of 104 Old 01-01-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Red X,Y - .647, .325
Green X,Y - .289, .607
Blue X,Y - .149, .069

HHF,

While this is slightly OT, I read that same article and they speak of the scaling and processing not being up to par for SD content. Great set if you're only going to watch it with excellent HD source material or intend on using an external VP for SD content.

For the life of me I can't understand how they or any other reviewer for that matter, could possibly give any display a performance rating of 95 when it's ability to handle SD content is so poor. Just another one of those reviews that make you go Hmmmmm...

Seems like another fine example of John and Jane Doe being really excited by what they see in the store and then being less than pleased when they get it home, hook it up to their cable box and wonder why their brand new top of the line HDTV looks worse than their old tv when viewing non HD channels.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page