Need projector and screen to finish my room! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-01-2007, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2 year old house with a 21' X 17' X 10'h dedicated theater room on the second floor, painted black including the ceiling, with no windows, sound proofed walls ceiling and floor with two rows of 4 seats with head rests at 12' and 17' from the front wall, with the back row raised 14". I had a custom installer wire my room and connect my old acoustic research high res AR-3 front speakers, surrounds and sub, mounted in a 7.1 channel set up. They are connected to a Yamaha RX-V2400 7.1 receiver which claims around 130 watts x 7 channels. I would like to ceiling mount a 1080p DLP projector behind my back row, maybe at 18' or 19' from the front wall. Also I'd like to use a 110" or larger fixed or possibly a masking type screen. I stopped on my theater because of cost over runs on my house, but I am now ready to finish it. My previous installer wants to finish up with an Optoma HD-81 or Sim2 D80, a 110" or 123" Luxus Deluxe Stewart Firehawk, and a Toshiba HD dvd player. The reviews on the Optoma have revealed several problems including high noise level and the green or blue screen of death on occasion. I am open to any suggestions on projector, screen type and size, HD/Blue ray DVD player and anything else, but would like to keep the projector behind me. My budget for the equipment is around $15k. Any comments are welcome.
Thanks, outcold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM

Looking forf a 4000 lumen projector to be used for outdoor screening at night for a church. What type is best?
post #3 of 3 Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 PM

avguy 83 - I don't think you meant to put that post here as you already have a thread for it.

outcold - There is no real reason for the Firehawk when you're in a controlled light theater with the color as yours. You probably want to go with the StudioTek130. I would also say that the Marantz VP15S1 would be a good buy for you, along with the perhaps the D80e, but the HD-81 I would not recommend based on quality issues.

Going by retail you'd be under your budget for the projector and screen. Masking adds quite a bit though it's unreal to have in your theater.

MSRP on the Stewart screen is $2463 without masking.

Most dealers or installers will give you a break on a package deal as it seams you'd want here.

If you want I can grab MSRP for those screens with masking (4 way)? Or do you want to go anamorphic?

Richard
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page