Meridian MF1 beats Sharp 20K IMO..here's a new review done today..waiting on RS1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those that have read my previous threads probably know that I have bashed ALL SXRD/LcOS/D-ILA projectors in the past 6 years (I have seen them all) and only been a supporter & proud owner of ONLY DLP PJ's from Sharp 9K, 10K, Optoma H79 etc..and all that because I just couldn't for the life of me see how anyone let alone myself, could watch such a soft & dull picture when compared to DLP until NOW which is why I'm the 2nd one on the pre-order list for the JVC RS1.

Recently I visited a store called Brentview Electronics here in Toronto Canada which had this Meridian MF1 & 3 other PJ's & I was just BLOWN AWAY with this Meridian, here's one of my previous posts on this PJ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...62#post8995662

Now here is another review online from AudioVideo Revolution on the Meridian MF1
http://www.avrev.com/equip/meridian_...tor/index.html

I believe since the Meridian is basically a JVC 10K with a lower on/off and probably a lower ansi than the RS1, for those on the pre-buy list I can tell you with confidence that we have a new level of PQ about to arrive and Feb can't come fast enough.

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Chris
Shouldn´t you go with whatever product Meridian makes from RS1. The secret is in the optimization is it not?

Mattias Ohlson
post #3 of 58 Old 01-02-2007, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Ohlson, I was the one who turned Chris onto BOTH the MF-1 as well as the dealer that he mentions...the issues is that Meridian has yet to publicly announce their plans with respect to their version of an RS-1...with that in mind, I am waiting for meridian versions which I GUESS will, based on past offerings, include a different/quieter casing as well as Phelps optimiization and a few other goodies....

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #4 of 58 Old 01-02-2007, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlson View Post

Chris
Shouldn´t you go with whatever product Meridian makes from RS1. The secret is in the optimization is it not?

Ohlon..

Although Meridian makes a gorgeous PJ it's MSRP is at about $30,000 and the RS1 at a fifth of that price and the specs look better on the RS1 than they do on the Meridian, so, judging from what I've seen even without William Phelps optimiization we may get as good a picture on the RS1 if not better. Now, if Meridian comes out with a similar version as the RS1 I may jump on that bandwagon as well & just sell the RS1 since our price from Jason was a no brainer I can get most if not all my money back here locally for my RS1.

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #5 of 58 Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Ohlson, I was the one who turned Chris onto BOTH the MF-1 as well as the dealer that he mentions...the issues is that Meridian has yet to publicly announce their plans with respect to their version of an RS-1...with that in mind, I am waiting for meridian versions which I GUESS will, based on past offerings, include a different/quieter casing as well as Phelps optimiization and a few other goodies....

Hi Joel..

Thanks for mentioning this PJ at Brentview. Although you did point it out for me I've been doing business with these folks for a few years now. I also bought my Sharp 10K from them a few years back, they are great people to do business with.

Cheers
Chris

post #6 of 58 Old 01-02-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How exactly is that Meridian supposed to be better than a JVC 10K? Unless the On-Off CR is a lot better I fail to see how that machine is in any way big news.
post #7 of 58 Old 01-02-2007, 08:20 AM
MC6

on/off CR 2500~
Ansi CR 120~
post #8 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC6 View Post

on/off CR 2500~
Ansi CR 120~

If that is accurate this machine in no way beats a good DLP concerning contrast. The DLP is sharper as well. The rest is the usual DLP look versus LCOS look debate. Much ado about nothing.
post #9 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

This just does not make sense. When Meridian took on the projector I am sure they knew that the RS1 would be coming out after.

Why would anyone pay 5 times the price for Faroujda scaling and a new name plate?

These are both (Meridian & JVC) large companies with lots to lose if the RS1 is better than the Meridian. Meridan loses money and JVC loses the confidence of their relationship.

Just my 2 cents.

JC
post #10 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

joeycalda:

There is -- in my view -- a lot of misinformation in your statements. Let's try to correct them:

1. Meridian has two offerings the MF-1 based on JVC's HD10K and the MF-2 based on JVC's HD2K. Both the MF-1 and the MF-2 can be purchased with/without an outboard Faroudja scaler.

2. Meridian's offerings differ from JVC's in that they have different/quieter casings, improved/modified optics, Phelps optimization, etc. There are not simply rebadged JVC units but modifed units (i.e. analogous/similar to Runco's offerings which, for the most part, are manufactured by others).

3. Meridian, and JVC for that matter, both were aware of the RS-1...do you not think that the technology used in developing the RS-1 will be used in developing the HD10K's successor...the point which you are are missing is that when the HD10K/MF-1 was develpoed it was THEN state of the art and properly priced at its price point BUT as technology evolves it (like the Sony Qualia 004, InFocus 777, etc.) are no longer competitively priced and thus will be replaced by other/more advanced units.

4. Meridian is NOT a large company but rather a smallish technology focused niche company. Meridian is well known to me as (i) I have a lot of their equipment and (ii) have contacts at both their UK and US offices.

5. Neither Meridian nor JVC have anything loose should the RS1 be the home run that is specualted here. Just think of how many RS-1s / MF-?s they will sell let alone how many replacement HD10K/MF-1s they will sell when the NEW top of the line model is released.

Apologies, in advance, should I be perceived as coming on string but I simply do not agree with any of your assertions/positionings.

Joel
post #11 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just buy the HD-10K have William Phelps optimize it, buy your own scaler (VP50 for me), and save some green.
post #12 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 AM

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Meridian also work their magic on the optics? This would make William's suggestion less useful.
post #13 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmac97 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Meridian also work their magic on the optics? This would make William's suggestion less useful.

I believe the William Phelps said that the MF-1 and HD10K used the same light engine and optics.
post #14 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 AM

although the RS1 has superior specs, the HD-10K is still a overall better projector. JVC would be the first to tell you that and having seen them both a the long beach show, although the RS1 is pretty close, the HD-10K is outstanding. Of course its also a lot more money
post #15 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Daniel...

Would you mind filling us in on what made the HD-10K a better projector vs. the RS1? The Meridian MF1 is being installed in my family's home theater, and we are supremely satisfied with its image quality, but as an A/V geek, I remain curious!

Thanks!
post #16 of 58 Old 01-03-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

joeycalda:
2. .. (i.e. analogous/similar to Runco's offerings which, for the most part, are manufactured by others).

Except that Runco "video" projectors had half the bandwidth of regular graphic grade Electrohome projectors, and costing twice as much. No matter how much you tweaked them they were never as good as the originals. They were in fact downgraded projectors, projectors for ignorants.

At bounteous nature's kindly breast,
All things that breath drink joy,
And bird and beasts and creaping things
All follow the wreath, the foaming must,
To angels, to insects -sensual lust.
post #17 of 58 Old 01-04-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

although the RS1 has superior specs, the HD-10K is still a overall better projector. JVC would be the first to tell you that and having seen them both a the long beach show, although the RS1 is pretty close, the HD-10K is outstanding. Of course its also a lot more money

I keep hearing this and I'm not sure why either. The HD10k is spec'd as a 2500:1 contrast unit. How does that compete in any way with the 15,000:1+ RS-1? (Taking into account other improvements like ANSI contrast also).

Hearing that the difference between the Sony Pearl and the RS-1 isn't a huge one either, I'm starting to wonder that either something fishy is going on, or more likely, contrast just isn't that big of a deal anymore.
post #18 of 58 Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire99 View Post

I keep hearing this and I'm not sure why either. The HD10k is spec'd as a 2500:1 contrast unit. How does that compete in any way with the 15,000:1+ RS-1? (Taking into account other improvements like ANSI contrast also).

Hearing that the difference between the Sony Pearl and the RS-1 isn't a huge one either, I'm starting to wonder that either something fishy is going on, or more likely, contrast just isn't that big of a deal anymore.

You said it yourself. Many other things come into play other than contrast to make up a great picture.
post #19 of 58 Old 01-04-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Contrast plays a HUUUUUUGE role don't kid yourself, this RS1 will likely KILL the HD10k, check out cine4home's new review 2 days ago this is the 2nd review done & VERY much to what I thought a KILLER PJ!

http://www.cine4home.com/

Cheers
Chris

post #20 of 58 Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The HD10K looked better, but it also was using a 2:35:1 lens with its scaler, so the picture looked brighter then the RS1 firing onto a 2:35:1 screen without lens and scaler. But I agree, the HD10K looked phenomenal. Seriously reference level.

Silence is overrated!
post #21 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post

The HD10K looked better, but it also was using a 2:35:1 lens with its scaler, so the picture looked brighter then the RS1 firing onto a 2:35:1 screen without lens and scaler. But I agree, the HD10K looked phenomenal. Seriously reference level.

Please... Even if the HD10K did everything else perfectly while sticking to his current On-Off it would suck bad with dark material unless you don't care about the milky appearance with no depth and grayish colors.
You can ignore that and rave about perfect gray scale (except with dark material where colors are wrong aka way too much gray in them), perfect even shading (whether it makes any difference outside of test patterns compared to a projector with some variations), good sharpness (but not DLP like), smooth images (other LCOS has it too), nice motion (other LCOS has it too), correct color primaries (other projectors have that too), correct gamma (others have it too, and black is gray aka wrong) and so on.
The HD10K/Meridian may be a fine projector within the contrast limits it has, but these limits exclude it from being overall a reference projector. A reference projector looks superior (or at least very good) with all kinds of material, not higher APL material only.
post #22 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

mhafner:

have you ever seen an HD10K/MF-1 in action...perhaps you should before commenting...similar to you I questioned how good it could be AND THEN I saw one...oh my god...

Joel
post #23 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mhafner,
Do you want me to undo what I saw in Long Beach? Please....
Take a moment to tear yourself away from the specification booklets and read my statement again. It commented on how amazing the 2:35:1 and the HD10K looked in unison.
And please enlighten me on what you consider a reference projector. Chris Stephens 9" crt with Teranex? Seen it. G90, Qualia, seen them.

Silence is overrated!
post #24 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

...don't care about the milky appearance with no depth and grayish colors...

The HD10K (or at least mine) doesn't have "the milky appearance with no depth and grayish colors". You have obviously never seen one because the colors are exceptional and the only "milky" is the milk chocolate.

One more slanderers word and I will send my buddy over.

post #25 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw the HD10K set-up at EHXpo playing HD-DVD of Riddick. In a word it was STUNNING. Many other AVS'ers thought so too. W/ the exception of it's slightly elevated black level (Mark pointed this out to me) - I preferred the HD10K image to that of the RS1.
post #26 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 AM

I can still see the black 16:9 bars on the top and bottom though. Hopefully the RS1 can remedy this.
post #27 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

I saw the HD10K set-up at EHXpo playing HD-DVD of Riddick. In a word it was STUNNING. Many other AVS'ers thought so too. W/ the exception of it's slightly elevated black level (Mark pointed this out to me) - I preferred the HD10K image to that of the RS1.

This echoes my sentiments from the Expo too. The HD10K was awesome. Although for dark material I would probably still prefer the RS1. From what people are saying though the production RS1's are looking better than the prototype that we saw at the Expo. So (insert new RS1 vs HD10K controversy here).
post #28 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am still waiting to hear from all who have seen it, just what makes it a better looking image. Not just vague statements about how wonderful it is.

Phil
post #29 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

This echoes my sentiments from the Expo too. The HD10K was awesome. Although for dark material I would probably still prefer the RS1. From what people are saying though the production RS1's are looking better than the prototype that we saw at the Expo. So (insert new RS1 vs HD10K controversy here).

Mark, where are you hearing this? I think you or someone reported about 10 days ago something like that from a JVC person's comments. Or are you now referring to a different or more recent set of comments?
post #30 of 58 Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantle View Post

I can still see the black 16:9 bars on the top and bottom though...

This is a legitimate criticism but "milky appearance with no depth and grayish colors" is not.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page