post #361 of 1162 Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_G View Post

I received my 9000 today and have no problems with the inputs or otherwise...so far

Wooo-Hooo! Keep it going Dave, we need good news!

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1162 Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

A strange event happened last night when I turned on my W9000. While the projector was displaying the BenQ logo start-up screen, the right half of the screen started to alternate between the normal purple coloured BenQ logo screen and a darker shade on the right half of the screen. I played a DVD and the condition continued. It looked like it was going into PIP or POP mode by itself. By this time, the right-hand side of the screen was beginning to macro block in horizontal and vertical directions and was becoming unstable.

I entered the PIP mode and cycled through the various options and turned the PIP on and off and the alternating screen colour and unstable right half of the projected image went back to normal with no further events for the rest of the evening. So as others have speculated, there appears to be a glitch in the firmware.

Peter

Hey Peter, how about calling in to BenQ and reporting this, they need to know what happening out here. I know it shouldn't be a our place to test this stuff but if we don't report it who will?

When I called in today, I told the guy from Benq what my projector was doing as well as mentioning what Kevin was going through. He said he was unaware of the problems I described.

I hope that they are listening?

Is there really a "BenQDude"? Hello?

Al
post #363 of 1162 Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I'm surprised by all of this, after 40 days of constant use (over 200 hours on it now) I've had absolutely no problems. My unit has been operating flawlessly and the picture is outstanding.

It's sounding to me like they are isolated issues (or is mine the isolated issue on some units.

Hope you guys get this worked out vause I'm loving this thing.

I alos have a friend who bought this (just before I did) and he hasn't reported any issues either, just to let you guys know.
post #364 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 AM

all these problems are such a turn off for me investing in such a projector. could it be that certain units manufactured after a certain date are problematic? can those of you having trouble identify their manufacture date?? i would not have expected this kind of quirky behavior from such a high end product which leads me to wonder again about its low price

this sucks
post #365 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

A strange event happened last night when I turned on my W9000.

Peter, I would report to BenQ ASAP. Like Al said, they need to be aware.

My manufacture date was Jan. 2007.
S/N was PV817xxxxxTV0

Kevin

(Still waiting for RMA#)
post #366 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 07:08 AM

I sell televisions and projectors for living, and let me tell you there's bad apples in every bunch, no matter what the name on the front is. If this turns out to be another pe7700 thing, then its time to panic, but i wouldn't say were there yet.
post #367 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I don't even see that combination of lights in the manual, If as Kevin suggests this is firmware related, I hope BenQ gets this sorted out!

I talked to BenQ support last night, and they said that combination of lights means the board is fried. There's nothing that can be done. I'm sending in a Hotswap form today.

I only had 1080p goodness for 2 hours!

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #368 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's hoping that I get a replacment unit just like mrigsby has!

For the record:

S/N was PVP17xxxxxTV0
Rev. : 01-104

Al
post #369 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Here's hoping that I get a replacment unit just like mrigsby has!

For the record:

S/N was PVP17xxxxxTV0
Rev. : 01-104

I now have my RMA. BenQ will swap out any defective projector within 30 days with a new one.

Al,

Check your PM, I'll send my complete S/N to you since they appear very close.

Al,

you need to clear your PM box, too many messages.

Kevin
post #370 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Done!

Al
post #371 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM

Well mine is a Jan 2007 Manufacturing as well and my

S/N is PV817xxxxTVO

I think you guys might have just gotten some bad units
post #372 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 03:44 PM

In regards to the W9000: I'm curious, with the exchange rate adjusted, usually Canadian vendors charge more than American vendors. In this case, I am seeing some great prices on canadian vendors sits, and I also see more vendors selling in Canada than the USA. Are we allowed to say what prices it is in the states? I am just trying to compare it to other 1080p units.

Geoff
post #373 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrigsby View Post

Well mine is a Jan 2007 Manufacturing as well and my

S/N is PV817xxxxTVO

I think you guys might have just gotten some bad units

I went to my Scorpion King movie after you (or someone) posted the screen shots. My screen has less area but the image was much more dim. I am hoping my bad unit contributed to the dim image or that I get a statistically brighter W9000 next round.

By the way, did any of you notice that HD81 users are dumping their 2nd PJ's in the market place without even opening the boxes after a RMA return. If I get a 2nd bad unit within the 30 day DOA policy ... well I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

k
post #374 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Twinkie View Post

In regards to the W9000: I'm curious, with the exchange rate adjusted, usually Canadian vendors charge more than American vendors. In this case, I am seeing some great prices on canadian vendors sits, and I also see more vendors selling in Canada than the USA. Are we allowed to say what prices it is in the states? I am just trying to compare it to other 1080p units.

I am pretty sure the rules are MSRP only, street prices are not too welcome in the posts from what I remember! There should be some sticky's at the top of each section that talk about this.

But for what it is worth, street prices change so quicly that you have to make you decision at the time of purchase, only 1 month later (weeks possibly) that price that was once a bargin may seem high by comparison.

Al
post #375 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

I went to my Scorpion King movie after you (or someone) posted the screen shots. My screen has less area but the image was much more dim. I am hoping my bad unit contributed to the dim image or that I get a statistically brighter W9000 next round.

By the way, did any of you notice that HD81 users are dumping their 2nd PJ's in the market place without even opening the boxes after a RMA return. If I get a 2nd bad unit within the 30 day DOA policy ... well I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

k

Considering this, I will be on the fine line if the replacement unit takes even 8 days to arrive, I wonder if there is a limit on the number of DOA returns allowed inside of the initial 30 days?

I guess the other part about that is most of the time the projectors are in transit, for this first projector and it's replacemant it will take between 16-20 days to complete...

I didn't even get mine to stay on for one whole minute! I hope that they give me 30 days from the time I get one that works?

Al
post #376 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Kev,

That was me who posted it and it was on a classic cinema white. I know have a bright white and could close the iris even more.

I'll post pictures Friday night after my ISF guy calibrates it.

Al,

I'm sure if you state your case, they'll give you the 30 days.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to both of you, I guess I got lucky with my unit. I hope it works out for you guys
post #377 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 06:47 PM

My W9000 worked flawlessly last night except that during the turn-on stage there were a few initial fashes of white light on the screen and then the purple BenQ screen came on and flashed a few times and then settled down and all was well. I will report these issues to BenQ tomorrow.

Mfg Date: January 2007
S/N: PVP17xxxxxTV0
Rev: 01-104

Peter
post #378 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My W9000 worked flawlessly last night except that during the turn-on stage there were a few initial fashes of white light on the screen and then the purple BenQ screen came on and flashed a few times and then settled down and all was well. I will report these issues to BenQ tomorrow.

Mfg Date: January 2007
S/N: PVP17xxxxxTV0
Rev: 01-104

Peter

Your PJ sounds normal to me on power up. The W9000 I had started up the same way. It sure took a lot longer than either the IN76 or the HD1000 I used to have. Again, since my unit had a defect, I am not sure what is normal.

It is interesting that some S/N's start PVP17 and others PV817. I double checked mine to be sure. I think the 5 digits after these 5 are the number of units in a particular build lot since they all end in TV0.

How fast can you change sources with the remote? i.e HDMI, component, S-Video back to HDMI? How fast can you change aspect ratios with the remote?

I think you get a new 30 day DOA with a new PJ. I am going to re-register my new one since the S/N will be different.

mrigsby, I had your same settings on my W9000 and it was WAY dimmer even with the iris full open AND I have a higher gain screen (1.4). I am hoping the defect contributed to the dim image I had.

Al, Your PM box is full. Delete your "sent items" folder or old stuff in your inbox.

k
post #379 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is interesting that some S/N's start PVP17 and others PV817. I double checked mine to be sure. I think the 5 digits after these 5 are the number of units in a particular build lot since they all end in TV0.

Both Peter and my units start with PVP, and Kevin and mrigsby are PV8, maybe the difference between Canadian bound and US bound units?

Kevin, I did delete all of the sent stuff and a lot of the inbox too, I am well below the 150 PM limit, not sure what the problem is... I'll check again.

Al
post #380 of 1162 Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 PM

Kev,

I installed my Carada BW screen material today (1.4) and closed the Iris to about 90%. I was able to keep it very, very bright. I haven't had any problems with dimness at all, in fact, sometimes it seems a little bright. I thought I would have a little more trouble with brightness coming from an infocus PJ but this thing is great.

I'm no expert, but going by what my PJ is performing, I'd have to say it was the defect.

Aspect ratios are changed as soon as I push the button, no delay whatsoever. Also, I can change between inputs without delay (besides the "searching for source")

I had an experiment tonight by turning the PJ on and letting it run without a source for five minutes....no freeze ups or lock downs at all, worked perfectly
post #381 of 1162 Old 03-21-2007, 01:48 AM

I was wondering if new W9000 projectors came with firmware that allows for changing the overscan settings? I know earlier versions had this in a password protected menu.

Seems like every projector i research has some issues. So how would this projector rate overall in terms of reliability?

Thanks
post #382 of 1162 Old 03-21-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kev,

I installed my Carada BW screen material today (1.4) and closed the Iris to about 90%. I was able to keep it very, very bright. I haven't had any problems with dimness at all, in fact, sometimes it seems a little bright. I thought I would have a little more trouble with brightness coming from an infocus PJ but this thing is great.

I'm no expert, but going by what my PJ is performing, I'd have to say it was the defect.

Aspect ratios are changed as soon as I push the button, no delay whatsoever. Also, I can change between inputs without delay (besides the "searching for source")

I had an experiment tonight by turning the PJ on and letting it run without a source for five minutes....no freeze ups or lock downs at all, worked perfectly

Sounds great. My remote was extremely sluggish, esp. aspect ratio changes and source changes. Other menu selections were very fast. Maybe the processor in my defective PJ was busy with the defect to respond to some commands from the remote.

I am happy to hear your BW material produces such a bright image that you need 90% iris closure. I had the iris 100% open and used "family room mode" setting just to watch the last few days I had the PJ. It had to be defective.

Now I am pumped about the next one. It better be working properly because I am only a 2 strikes kind of person for expensive gadgets such as these.

liemaz, Yes there is overscan adjustment in the service menu. When you buy, we'll let you in on the secret after mrigsby teaches you the secret handshake. Asking about reliability at this point in time is a sensitive issue for some of us. As with all new products there are hickups.

Kevin
post #383 of 1162 Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 AM

Thanks, I think ill take the risk and get this projector. Now all I have to do is persuade the wife.

Trevor
post #384 of 1162 Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 AM

I tried to recreate the lock up after getting my unit in on Monday also, i let it search for signal for 30 mins, and no lock ups.

On another note...anyone have the password for the calibration mode?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
post #385 of 1162 Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 AM

For the ISF calibrations?

If so, I don't have it maybe someone else does
post #386 of 1162 Old 03-21-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:

For the ISF calibrations?

If so, I don't have it maybe someone else does

Yes,the isf menu...Thanks!
post #387 of 1162 Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 AM

about buying one of these.

Hands down isnt this one of if not the least expensive 1080p projector on the market? I'm just wondering why this hasn't generated more attention in the media or review sites (no reviews from projectcentral or projectorreviews). Especially at its current price point. Is benq getting rid of these becuz of bugs?

in the past, i've read that benq was very good for customer service and support, offering up to 3years coverage on their projectors (?) not sure if this still applies. All the recent reports of problems has really turned me off from leaping on one of these but i am just wondering how indicative these problems are to the overall quality or amount of units sold. I'm assuming there is a much larger base of users who have purchased this unit without a problem or am i wrong? i hope some more happy 9000 owners can chime in on this.

I'm not familiar with the 7700 problem, I take it this was a very buggy projector from the start? I'm still undecided altogether and feel like i shouldnt put my money here even tho i am a current benq owner (pb6100) and have been very happy with my purchase.
post #388 of 1162 Old 03-22-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravs View Post

about buying one of these.

Hands down isnt this one of if not the least expensive 1080p projector on the market? I'm just wondering why this hasn't generated more attention in the media or review sites (no reviews from projectcentral or projectorreviews). Especially at its current price point. Is benq getting rid of these becuz of bugs?

in the past, i've read that benq was very good for customer service and support, offering up to 3years coverage on their projectors (?) not sure if this still applies. All the recent reports of problems has really turned me off from leaping on one of these but i am just wondering how indicative these problems are to the overall quality or amount of units sold. I'm assuming there is a much larger base of users who have purchased this unit without a problem or am i wrong? i hope some more happy 9000 owners can chime in on this.

I'm not familiar with the 7700 problem, I take it this was a very buggy projector from the start? I'm still undecided altogether and feel like i shouldnt put my money here even tho i am a current benq owner (pb6100) and have been very happy with my purchase.

Panasonic and Mitsubishi LCD's are cheaper. Even the Sony Pearl is cheaper but it is LCoS. (In my wanderings)

BenQ W9000 is the cheapest 1080p DLP, I'll give you that.

There have been 3 reported issues (returned with RMA) in this thread that I know of, 1 W10000 and 2 with W9000. All three will be replaced with new PJ's.

You can go into any product line and find issues. I don't expect these issues to be rampant given the success of the BenQ PE8720, at least that was my reasoning going with the W9000.

By the way this thread is boring waiting for PJ's to return. Doesn't anyone else have some new setups photos and screen shots to share? I am looking forward to the impressions of mrigsby after his ISF calibration.

k
post #389 of 1162 Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM

thanks for the reassurance. i'm still puzzled by the low cost of benq's technology and the little fanfare it has received compared to other manufacturers products.

yes, i agree with you! i'm still waiting to see some screen shots and pics of peoples setups. lets see some's benq 1080p enthusiasm here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

Panasonic and Mitsubishi LCD's are cheaper. Even the Sony Pearl is cheaper but it is LCoS. (In my wanderings)

BenQ W9000 is the cheapest 1080p DLP, I'll give you that.

There have been 3 reported issues (returned with RMA) in this thread that I know of, 1 W10000 and 2 with W9000. All three will be replaced with new PJ's.

You can go into any product line and find issues. I don't expect these issues to be rampant given the success of the BenQ PE8720, at least that was my reasoning going with the W9000.

By the way this thread is boring waiting for PJ's to return. Doesn't anyone else have some new setups photos and screen shots to share? I am looking forward to the impressions of mrigsby after his ISF calibration.

k

post #390 of 1162 Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM

I have several pics posted back on page 9 of this thread.

My ISF guy comes tomorrow at Lunch, I'm super excited and will be watchign several movies tomorrow night seeing as how I just got a bunch of pre-orders in from Amazon.

I'll post pics tomorrow night.

Super excited since I love this PJ
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page