post #1141 of 1162 Old 02-18-2009, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonikow View Post

I will take a picture for you next time I am in there...

Please do it would be interesting to see what's inside.

Quote:
...the prism does cover the chip with a little seal to protect it. Yes the dust can enter, no it will not show in the picture unless it's in the focal length.
Verified and tested with a lot worse than dust

It's good to know that prism assembly is like that covering the DLP chip. I remember Optoma H78 having similar design and dust was never an issue, unlike many other projectors with prismless design.

Quote:
Color wheel has a small access hole that may be the culprit, but mostly air gets in there from cooling the lamp.

From the pictures I have seen it look that there is no additional protective glass in front of the color wheel other than that of the bulb (between lamp and cw), it is quite common. Is there any in the light tunnel at the cw end (I believe DLP chamber end usually has one)?

Quote:
Overall though our Benq's are some of the best build out there. Better than Sony SXRD and JVC Dila and on par or better than Sharp. I never worked inside of my Optomas, but def. much higher standard. I have a lot of respect for Benq's platform.

That's my impression too. I was very impressed when I first saw one. I have owned many projectors and the only one that gets close (but not as good) was the Optoma H78 but unfortunately after that they have dropped the ball big time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1162 Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Moved to a new location, new house with a dedicated HT room! But, now I'm at 4700 feet, so according to the manual I should be using the high alt setting (W9000), only thing is is gets objectionably noisy after a while. Could I get away with just leaving it at the normal setting, or do I risk damage due to overheating? Ambient temp in my HT room nevers exceeds 76, and relative humidity is very low, usually around 20%. My filter is clean, I wonder if the fan needs cleaning too.

cheers

Mike
post #1143 of 1162 Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Today I went into the W9000 menu's to look at the lamp hours (only 819 so far), but most of the options are greyed out, can't even select the various pre-programed colour temperatures?

OK I figured this out (with help), you need an active signal to see these menus which makes sense...

Does anybody know the password to get into the ISF calibration menu?

Mine was calibrated at one time, the splash screen even showed the ISF logo, but now it does not, so I wanted to take a peek in there...

Thanks!

Al
post #1144 of 1162 Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 AM

ISF PW

- Menu
- Up
- Down
- Up
- Down
- Up
- Down
- Menu
post #1145 of 1162 Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrtoys View Post

ISF PW

- Menu
- Up
- Down
- Up
- Down
- Up
- Down
- Menu

Thanks, but as far as I know this gets you into the service menu only, ISF is a little deeper.

Do you have a W9000?

Al
post #1146 of 1162 Old 03-22-2010, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Thanks, but as far as I know this gets you into the service menu only, ISF is a little deeper.

Do you have a W9000?

A little late, but this should work.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=799576

My home theater build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1147 of 1162 Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiefast View Post

A little late, but this should work.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=799576

Thanks!, and as the say 'better late then never', actually I still wanted this information.

As you probably saw 4 posts earlier, I had my W9000 calibrated some time ago and after that the splash screen showed the ISF logo, now it does not, as mentioned in that post I was curious as to what was in there.

Al
post #1148 of 1162 Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Glad I could help... There's not a lot of info on the w10000/9000 out there when you search for them.

My home theater build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1149 of 1162 Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know how to open the Box of the W9000 without to destroy the Box?

I removed all screws and ended up screwing the two screws for half a century at the bottom but they don't unscrew. It is crazy because it happen nothing no matter how long i screw them (they don't go up or down or anything, they are just turning)?????

Is there something special to know about these screws?

Or is somebody here who owns a service manual for ther W9000?
post #1150 of 1162 Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBeam View Post

Hi,

Does anyone know how to open the Box of the W9000 without to destroy the Box?

I removed all screws and ended up screwing the two screws for half a century at the bottom but they don't unscrew. It is crazy because it happen nothing no matter how long i screw them (they don't go up or down or anything, they are just turning)?????

Is there something special to know about these screws?

Or is somebody here who owns a service manual for ther W9000?

So are you just trying to open the case out of curiosity or were you looking to replace the bulb...?

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Al
post #1151 of 1162 Old 08-01-2011, 12:01 PM

I try to open the case and take a look inside because the w9000 projects just exactly the half picture on the wall (the other half is just black).
post #1152 of 1162 Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I try to open the case and take a look inside because the w9000 projects just exactly the half picture on the wall (the other half is just black).

Hmmmm, that is strange, using the LENS button of the remote or the LENS SHIFT buttons on the projector you could make shure that the image is not shifted off too far...

I don't know what in the projector could have dislodged to cover 1/2 of the output.

I don't know if this PJ is new to you, but did this just happen, did it get dropped?

BTW, from the factory it is set to offset the picture completley above or below the lens center.

Also you can open the case to see the bulb, this should allow you to check for obstructions, no need to open the entire case...

Al
post #1153 of 1162 Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Thank you for your answer. The projector is really new to me.

Usually the W9000 don't show the one half just black but have some kind of pattern. I'm not sure why today in the afternoon in was black. In the evening it showed the usual pattern again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #1154 of 1162 Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

The problem you're having is not uncommon with dlp projectors. I had a BenQ W10000 with that problem, but it was under warranty so they just replaced the projector. The problem you see has been discussed in many threads in this forum regarding many dlp makes. I believe it has something to do with the dmd panel.
post #1155 of 1162 Old 08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

The problem you're having is not uncommon with dlp projectors. I had a BenQ W10000 with that problem, but it was under warranty so they just replaced the projector. The problem you see has been discussed in many threads in this forum regarding many dlp makes. I believe it has something to do with the dmd panel.

Never seen that or even read about it on this forum, it must be much more prevelant on RPTV devices rather then PJ's?

You did say "not uncommon" which surprised me...

Al
post #1156 of 1162 Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

There are several mentions of it in the dedicated W5000 thread. There was also discussion on this regarding a Sharp, and an Infocus , plus a few other makes. A search will probably turn up the threads. I certainly wouldn't call it common, but it isn't uncommon either. All were DLP front projectors.
post #1157 of 1162 Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are several mentions of it in the dedicated W5000 thread. There was also discussion on this regarding a Sharp, and an Infocus , plus a few other makes. A search will probably turn up the threads. I certainly wouldn't call it common, but it isn't uncommon either. All were DLP front projectors.

Thanks for the info, my fingers are crossed that mine didn't and doesn't (in the future) exhibit such behaviour!

Al
post #1158 of 1162 Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, my fingers are crossed that mine didn't and doesn't (in the future) exhibit such behaviour!

I wouldn't sweat it, Al, the BenQ W10000 they gave me as a replacement for the one with the bad dmd panel has been working great for over 3 years now. It seems that with electronics period, there's bound to be some bad apples in the barrel, but it does seem that if there are going to be problems, they seem to pop up during the first few months of use, during the warranty period.
post #1159 of 1162 Old 08-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

You are right... I found a lot of threads regarding this problem but no solution. Thats pitty.

The strange thing is that when i set the projector on its left side and reboot than the one half have no stripes but it's just black. So I assume that the problem could be a mechanical one.

Some people said, that the whole picture is controlled by two controllers - one for the left half and one for the right half. Consequently if one controller fails we see some problem on the right or left half of the picture.

Since I can't open the box I have no idea how this controllers are mounted on the mainboard and if there is some kind of a doing your self solution.

The BenQ repair center solve this problem by exchanging the mainboard. Which can cost an arm and a leg.
post #1160 of 1162 Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are right... I found a lot of threads regarding this problem but no solution. Thats pitty.

The strange thing is that when i set the projector on its left side and reboot than the one half have no stripes but it's just black. So I assume that the problem could be a mechanical one.

Some people said, that the whole picture is controlled by two controllers - one for the left half and one for the right half. Consequently if one controller fails we see some problem on the right or left half of the picture.

Since I can't open the box I have no idea how this controllers are mounted on the mainboard and if there is some kind of a doing your self solution.

The BenQ repair center solve this problem by exchanging the mainboard. Which can cost an arm and a leg.

Sorry that the repair was necessary, curious, how much was it? (for future reference).

Al
post #1161 of 1162 Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Sorry that the repair was necessary, curious, how much was it? (for future reference).

No, I didn't send the projector for repair yet. I thinking about if I am willing to make further expenses on a manufacturing flaw.
post #1162 of 1162 Old 08-05-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I didn't send the projector for repair yet. I thinking about if I am willing to make further expenses on a manufacturing flaw.

I guess that it depends on the cost to repair versus replacment.

I have an old PJ that needs a bulb, it is only extended definition (848x480) and a bulb is $300 plus shipping, I can get a 42" LCD for $399.

Al
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page