I HAVE SEEN THE (Projector) LIGHT! A Conversion Story.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Anyone who might be familiar with my posts would know I, like many on AVS, have been obsessed with image quality and have evaluated and compared many of the well-regard displays over the years - especially plasmas/flat panels but also including RPTVs, Front Projectors etc. Since these forums are often about sharing our personal experiences - our journeys in the HT world - I thought I'd share how my own decision process has led me to Front Projection as the choice for my next display. It's long...but hey...it's a big subject to me. (And it's always fun to preach to the choir).

I'm a film lover first of all. I watch very little TV, including our HD channels (even though a good HD channel looks quite amazing even on my little old 42" Panasonic ED plasma). But my interest in displays is on how they impact the movie viewing experience. To that end my two favorite display technologies have been plasma and front projection, because they each bring their individual strengths to reproducing movie images.

To many people, and especially those on the FP forums, it's a no-brainer: Front Projection for movies. Yet, over many years of comparing displays of all types, many FPs included, I still found myself most mesmerized by the vividness, color richness, dynamics, clarity and sheer reach-in-and-touch-it solidity of the best plasma images. The best of the breed produce in me a Pavlovian drool effect I can't resist. I still have yet to see a front projected image that has the sheer window-like realism, even with HD-cam footage or the new hi-def movie formats - that seems effortless on plasmas like the new Panasonic 65" 1080p model (let alone the giant 103" Panasonic plasma, with which I've spent a lot of time viewing lots of material).

But...the lure of projection has always been there. In fact, I've actually wanted to break my plasma-habit so I could get more into projection. Especially as I've been deciding which type of display to use for my new Home Theater room project, in which I would use the much more suited front room of our house, allowing for a much bigger screen, vs the ill-suited, narrow back room of our house into which my plasma and modest surround system is currently crammed.

The turning point came for me when my wife was away for the weekend...at which point this "mouse" began to play :-) I re-arranged our front room (living room) to put all the seats viewing the big wall. Then I borrowed my pal's LCD projector. I must tell you I have no doubt this was the worst projection device currently still running on earth. It is an old boardroom LCD projector on it's last legs, with some defect producing tons of blue light spill across a large section of the screen, and a fan that's like sitting beside a jet engine. But....I loaded up a DVD, turned it on and the front wall lit up with a huge image. Ignoring the defects, I just sort of drank in the "gestalt" of the whole thing, flinging through many favorite DVDs. It was just too magical to resist - my whole front wall suddenly becoming a movie theater!

Now, I've seen and demoed PLENTY of projectors, but the effect of actually seeing these images at home on my wall just struck a previously unsung note. The impact of the image size sunk in like never before. It just does something for the viewing experience in terms of allowing an effortless level of immersion into the
film, that you don't get with a smaller display.

I've been very focused on the Panasonic 65" plasma with a lot of fiddling around with measurements, seating distances, tests in stores etc. But it's an effort to get the immersion I'm craving - especially in my new HT room which is bigger than my current room. And even sitting closer to the Plasma doesn't get me there in terms of immersion...it's there sometimes, especially in close-ups, but fleetingly. I'm still extremely seduced by the vividness and richness of the plasma image, but in some ways the sheer realism can have almost adverse effects on my experience of the film image. One is the "puppet" or "toy" effect, which derives from the smaller size of the image. For instance, watching scenes from the Star Wars movies, the space-ships can look spectacularly dense and palpable...but especially as the shots get wider the effect can be looking at very realistic toys buzzing around the screen. The images are just too small to convey the scale. Playing a fun sci-fi/horror film like "Event Horizon" on the projector made for an utterly different experience than watching it home on my plasma. On the projected screen it looked like a movie and the ships and planets looked appropriately HUGE and convincing. On smaller displays these things look more like models...and unfortunately that's just what many of them are, especially the further one goes back in the film past. On my small plasma, one of my favorite movies, "Alien," looks populated by model ships. On the big screen they get that boost they need in size, giving them the more convincing illusion, the grandeur, that I enjoyed so much when seeing that film endlessly in the cinema.

Along those lines even on the 65" plasmas, close-ups of actors can look cinematically big and in-your-face. But as the shots move to medium or long shots, I can get the "puppet" effect, in which people now look puppet sized, compared to what one gets in a cinema or big FP image.

The effect I get from good Front Projection images is a more consistent connection to the actors, largely due to the size. As the shots change from close up, to medium shot, to full shot the actor's face remains large, clearly visible and life-sized to that I easily see his/her expressions and I remain fully connected to the performance throughout the scene. (Whereas what happens on small screens is that it's a close up - we connect with the actor's emotion, then a full shot...and we are watching action...but on the big screen you don't loose the impact of the actor's emotion).

Then there is the other difference that I perceive between technologies like plasma and Front Projection. To ME (and I'm not expecting everyone to agree), as I've said I find plasma produces an almost through-a-window realism, even to movies. But as a movie lover, while this aspect is what excited me most for a long time, I've found it has had something of a hindrance as well sometimes. It would be too crude to cast the look of plasma vs front projection as "video" vs "film." (Given I think plasma looks more realistic than the pejorative connotation given by "video"). But it captures the general idea. The problem
so many film lovers (and viewers in general) have had with video in the past - before all these programs arrived that make it look more like film - is that it had a sort of "too real" look. This despite the technical deficiencies of video vs film (e.g. shallower dynamic range/color range/resolution etc) But It was too direct, unvarnished, like a direct view on to the set without ever having the images committed to film. Even Hi-Def video has this look, when it is not consciously being pushed or processed to look more film-like.

Whereas film looks mediated. I remember reading an interview with Steven Spielberg in which he told of how his pal George Lucas kept trying to push him to start shooting on HD video, talking of all the technical advantages he (Lucas) had reaped in doing so on the Star Wars prequels. But Spielberg pointed out that, to him, the HD stuff looked "too clear" "to direct" like a window on to the set vs a movie on film. To Spielberg this detracted from the fantasy effect of film and he said that with images that are too "real" or direct one loses the sense of the artist between the viewer and the film - again, the experience feels unmediated by artistic intent. And we can see Spielberg puts his money where his mouth is, as he is especially fond these days of pushing film stocks in all manner of directions that increase grain, contrast, color shifts etc.

And much as Spielberg says, I find this can happen to my viewing experience with certain technologies. With really direct, vivid, less film-like technologies such as plasma, while I can luxuriate in the gorgeousness of the image, I can also find myself struggling somewhat to slip into the fantasy of the film. Because it looks more like I'm standing beside the actor watching him do his lines on set, rather than watching a "movie."

This was again emphasized when I recently played several DVDs on the Sony Pearl projector at a store. Especially Jaws, which was for a long time my favorite movie. I was struck by just how much it looked like the film Jaws that I experienced so many times in the theater. It just brought me right back into that wonderful vibe. The image was smooth, film-like, dimensional in that "film" way and the shark finally looked BIG, as it had not since I last saw it in the movie theater. My eyes roamed the expanse of spielberg's BIG widescreen images, along for a ride on the "Orca" with Brody, Hooper and Quint, much as I used to experience it in the cinema (some 40 times or so!) How amazing it would be to be able to re-experience so many movie moments like this in the comfort of my home!

So....I'm bit by the projector bug, pretty hard. Looks like I'll be trading one obsession - plasma - for another. Then, there's the Wife Acceptance Factor which could be quite a hill to climb to say the least. Being a perfectionist I'll want to do everything I can to ring the best quality from the image. I'm willing to go with dark colored walls...but is my wife? (Shudders at the thought of the upcoming domestic work ahead). I'm very excited by the reports of the new JVC projector. DLPs are out as I see rainbows, 3-chips are too expensive and I do like the film quality of LCOS/SXRD.

There you have it. Thanks for listening (especially if you got this far).

Cheers,

Rich H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did the same thing a couple of years back. I Bought sight unseen a Panny LCD projector just to occasionally project on a wall. A short time later, I added a 90" DaLite pull-up screen. Then I added more curtains to darken the room. Then I installed a larger permanent screen. After that I had to upgrade the projector. Then I added larger speakers and subs. Then..............
post #3 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the dark side.
post #4 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice read into the mind of a film loving convert.
Once you get it going, I think your wife will come around, my siginificant other was resitive and now she is worse then me in some ways about being picky with audio and video. I think she learned to much to fast and now has a bit of a chip on her shoulders.
post #5 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just sort of drank in the "gestalt" of the whole thing, flinging through many favorite DVDs. It was just too magical to resist - my whole front wall suddenly becoming a movie theater!

Amen!
post #6 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

There you have it. Thanks for listening (especially if you got this far).

Cheers,

Rich H

My only advice is to jump in...get a projector and start enjoying movies at home on the big screen. I'm a firm believer in doing your homework - but it seems from looking back at your posts that you have been wrestling with this decision for too many years.

I want a Masquerade.
post #7 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Very nice read, it sums up the magic of front projection. People will say, hey I can get the same effect as a 100" screen by sitting closer to my (whatever display device). Only trouble with that theory is that it is not true. The brain always knows when it is looking at a smaller image, and you just can't match the impact of a large screen by sitting closer to a small one, it just does not work.

So, now that you have started down the path of the dark side, any thoughts of joining the fringe mob in the 2.35:1 CIH forum?
post #8 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Have you ever considered using the FP in rear projection mode to either a glass or acrylic screen? Don't think about the extra space you'll need to build for now. I'm also building a room and seriously considering rear projection of a FP.
post #9 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you get better black level performance when running your projetcor in rear mode? Or is it just that there is no interference from the projection of light as is the case wth FP? Not that I have figured out a way to accomodate projection from the rear anytime in the near future. Also does CH work the same way when being projected from the rear? I would assume so, but I have alwasy been told to never assume. The 2.35 CH thing really is starting to grip me, but I really have not evaluated the advantages of projecting from the rear.
post #10 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Rich: I've gone through a similar journey, and you have put well. By the way, what size screen and viewing distance are you planning on?
post #11 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 02:30 PM

I started looking into rear projection of FP projectors because to me it would make sense that without folding the light I could achieve better blacks and blind hand-in-your-face audience viewing area. I think because this method requires significant more space most people shy away from it. I don't plan on putting in a basement in the new digs but like everyone else we have needs for massive storage space. What better place than the side walls of the projection room to hide the junk. Better than wasting the garage.

I'm scratching my head on what's CH. Must be an age thing. As far as 2.35 is concerned; according to Stewart Filmscreen you can easily mask the glass to the formats the same as FP.
post #12 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks a million llumpire for all the additional information on it.
post #13 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I got the home theater bug many moons ago and have gone from a Sony VPL-W400Q (LCD) to an Hitachi CP-SX5500W (LCOS) to a NEC HT1000 (DLP) to a Sony VPL-VW100 (SXRD). An improvement in resolution, contrast, and PQ with each new projector.

My wife is funny because she thought I was nuts every time I upgraded, but once she sees the improvement, she understands why. That is at least,until the next time. I've had hi-def for many years going back to the first RCA-DTC100 days. However, it wasn't until I upgraded to the Ruby along with HD-DVD that she was really blown away with our HT. Even she's spoiled now and finds it hard to watch anything less than 1080 HD on a big screen.

Good luck with your HT journey. Just keep in mind that to really get the most out of a front projection home theater, you really do need a controlled environment. Ambient light can really kill the CR and immersion, even with a good screen. Have fun....

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #14 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Bravo, Rich. Well said (as usual, my favorite poster). I do hope you inform your plasma forum fans of your recent conversion...

On the wife approval factor, it is worth pointing out that a projector and pulldown screen are actually far less obtrusive and noticeable than a 65" plasma in a room. Indeed, when not in use and the screen is rolled up and projector is off and in a discrete corner, one barely notices it is there (thus, in my case, the "theater room" doubles as a home office and guest bedroom!). Very efficient use of space. Painting the walls dark, however, is another matter...good luck with that one
post #15 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I went through a similar thing with the film vs. reality aspect.

Back when the only accessible form of HT was an RPTV and when they were still pretty bad, I read an interview with Yves Faroudja.

He said his aim with his processors was to achieve a film look, not sharp but precise (whatever that means).

I thought he was nuts; if there was one thing we needed, it was more sharpness.

But now that we can have as much res as reality, I agree that its too much - it lacks that phantasmagorical element.

At least I think the sharpness is what it is.

I wonder if the goal of eliminating judder isn't also a step in the wrong direction for the same reason.

Noah
post #16 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Went through the same thing myself...Now I laugh at the plasmas I see at Bestbuy and stores like that...as far as the wife aspect, I gaurantee once she experiences a "real" home theater atmosphere she will love it!...Mine fought me all the way and now she says she doesn't know how she lived without it!...Here's a shot of my family room...I even went so far as to put an electric drop down screen in our bedroom!...she loves that too!....This screen is 120"

post #17 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymlie View Post

I did the same thing a couple of years back. I Bought sight unseen a Panny LCD projector just to occasionally project on a wall. A short time later, I added a 90" DaLite pull-up screen. Then I added more curtains to darken the room. Then I installed a larger permanent screen. After that I had to upgrade the projector. Then I added larger speakers and subs. Then..............

Beware. Conversion has known side effects (see above).
PS: Once you go big, there is no turning back.
post #18 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 07:25 PM

Welcome to the party pal!
post #19 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit07 View Post

My only advice is to jump in...get a projector and start enjoying movies at home on the big screen. I'm a firm believer in doing your homework - but it seems from looking back at your posts that you have been wrestling with this decision for too many years.

Well I'd love to jump right in. But there's work to do on the domestic front. It has taken long enough to get my wife comfortable with the idea I was planning on getting a big 65" plasma. Projection, and all it entails, is a whole new ball of wax so it's gonna take some time to get her on my side. Especially as the only room available is our living room. As to my taking a long time, much of that was also financial. I'm in film and the Toronto film industry suffered quite a downturn (for various reasons) for several years and has only recently been picking up (and now the friggin' ACTRA strike is threatening our livelihood yet again). So I had to sit on the sidelines doing my research, hoping for finances to catch up. I'll STILL have to wait until the next line of projectors before I can purchase what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

So, now that you have started down the path of the dark side, any thoughts of joining the fringe mob in the 2.35:1 CIH forum?

Whooya! That's the plan. I've always loved scope movies. And in fact I've been using a black backdrop and masking my plasma for a couple years. That scope aspect ratio image floating against a pure black background is magical. My main reservation at this point is contamination of the image. That is, I'm worried about spending money on a top-res projector (e.g. JVC) and then putting another lens in there that might affect it's performance.

llumpire,

I'm not really a big fan of RP in general so I'm not looking to emulate it in my HT.

Millerwill,

I still have to decide on screen size/type. My viewing distance is about 10.5 feet. Projector would be about 13.5 feet from screen or so. I'm also accommodating some high-end gear (tube amps driving speakers) so the screen will fit between the speakers. I can squeeze in about a 95" wide screen, which would result in about a
82" image for 16:9 content (diagonal). I am also trying to balance the issue of punch, palpability, sharpness, size etc. I note when I zoom in the image it gets denser, sharper, punchier, more solid. For instance having a 78" diag 16:9 image.
I don't think it's only the brighter image that occurs in making it smaller, but it's also squeezing more info into the image to gain that sharper, denser look. I know the smaller image, zooming in, also will raise black levels so I'll have to decide what to go for. I'll borrow more projectors to play with.

Pedro,

First, thanks for your encouragement. Also: "Painting the walls dark, however, is another matter...good luck with that one ...."

Ain't it the truth. Actually, until recently I was opposed to painting the walls of that room dark, as I've always liked the yellow ochre we've got in there at the moment. But I realized I'd be happy to make the adjustment for the HT experience. And the more I think about it, I can come up with a very nice, comfy, lush color scheme. My wife however has this "imagination" problem, in that she is very resistant to change and simply can't imagine what something is really going to look like before it's done. So getting her on board, especially as she doesn't care a hoot for HT really, is going to be "interesting."

noah katz

I've actually discussed this before on these projector forums, asking "just how much realism do we want in our movie experience? Is that the goal? etc." The amazing level of consumer technology these days is bringing these issues forward. One thing that is kind of cool about front projection is that it can be somewhat chameleon-like. It really does the "film" thing so well, yet the best of the breed can do quite a neato "reality" thing, bringing the viewer to the event, with good HD content.

Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying reading about other people's experience as well!
post #20 of 67 Old 02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

I got the home theater bug many moons ago and have gone from a Sony VPL-W400Q (LCD) to an Hitachi CP-SX5500W (LCOS) to a NEC HT1000 (DLP) to a Sony VPL-VW100 (SXRD). An improvement in resolution, contrast, and PQ with each new projector.

My wife is funny because she thought I was nuts every time I upgraded, but once she sees the improvement, she understands why. That is at least,until the next time. I've had hi-def for many years going back to the first RCA-DTC100 days. However, it wasn't until I upgraded to the Ruby along with HD-DVD that she was really blown away with our HT. Even she's spoiled now and finds it hard to watch anything less than 1080 HD on a big screen.

Good luck with your HT journey. Just keep in mind that to really get the most out of a front projection home theater, you really do need a controlled environment. Ambient light can really kill the CR and immersion, even with a good screen. Have fun....

Steve,

How big is your screen? Is Ruby bright enough for a 134" 1.3 Gain screen in total dark room? My Z4 is too dim.

Thanks
post #21 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
now you're playing with the big boys rharkness

i'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of it. now is a great time to jump into
front projection. the price point for many 1080p projectors have come way down.

i have to agree with you that there is just something special about front projection vs tv technology. one thing i've always thought about is the difference between a beam of light projected directly into your eyes (tv) and light that is reflected from a screen/wall (proj) and how much more "enjoyable" it is when it's reflected. i don't know if that makes sense but there you have it.

i hope your journey takes you to many wonderful experiences and you make some friends along the way.

i've had my jvc dila g11 projector for many years now and am looking forward to the rs-1 reports to start rolling in
post #22 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Oh Rich, I'm currently also thinking about replacing my 50" plasma with one of those new JVC projectors. My biggest problems are where to place the projector and how well the image will look like with modest (not direct) ambient light, cause in the summer it's not dark until late in the evening and I'm having a hard time blacking out all light *completely*. I guess I'll have to sleep another few days/weeks about this. Really tough decision...

I guess the main thing making me think about going FP is that the JVC's black levels are claimed to be so good and the image is claimed to be free of digital artifacts (unlike plasma) and free of green phosphor lag (unlike plasma), too. Furthermore, just as you, I'm almost exclusively watching movies. So FP just seems to be the natural fit...
post #23 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 03:32 AM

I am yet to see a great plasma. They are just good for what they are.
Just can't bring myself to watch them. Poor image processing etc etc etc.

Put on a HD source get the same relative distance your would from your big screen, and take another look, they just don't come close.

Welcome to the club!
post #24 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

madshi,

The JVC should have many of the same qualities of the Sony SXRD projector, but with better all round performance. Once of the things I really enjoyed about viewing the Pearl recently was the lack of noise in the dark areas of the image. I've never seen the opening scene of Jaws - people around the campfire - so free of noise in the shadow areas.

Of course, at the same time the image is being blown up. On The Hulk, the image which is pristine on my plasma in bright scenes showed what appeared to be compression artifacting on the projector.

Steve C,

I can understand your opinion about how wonderful HD looks on a projector. I agree, and the size really helps in making you feel you are "there." Yet I disagree with your take on plasma image quality. I recently watched a great deal of HD on an exceedingly expensive 3 chip DLP projector. It was amazing. But right outside the door was HD playing on the Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma. For sheer stop-me-in-my-tracks richness, vividness and realism the plasma still had my jaw dropping, even compared to the projected image. Likewise I've evaluated my HD-DVDs on both the Sony Pearl projector and the Panasonic 65" 1080p plasma. The plasma produced a more consistent "holy-crap-that's-clear-and-realistic-looking" impression. But they were also awesome on the projector and as I've written. I figure I'm going to ultimately prefer watching movies on the Big Screen with the more film-like presentation. (And I'm assuming you haven't seen the Panasonic 103" plasma. I have been able to evaluate it under controlled conditions and it can produce an astounding image. I've seen much of the same HD footage on most of the great projectors, but have never seen an over-all more realistic image at that size).

But while I differ with your assessment of plasma image quality, I'm incredibly excited about going with front projection and can't wait to watch films on The Big Screen in my home. I'm going to want to view all my DVDs/HD-DVDs again....
post #25 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Rich, glad to see you're excited about this move. But what a shame to only have an 82" diagonal screen. Are you sure you can't go bigger? From 10.5 feet away I would think 92-106" would be ideal, it seems.
post #26 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Yet I disagree with your take on plasma image quality. I recently watched a great deal of HD on an exceedingly expensive 3 chip DLP projector. It was amazing. But right outside the door was HD playing on the Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma. For sheer stop-me-in-my-tracks richness, vividness and realism the plasma still had my jaw dropping, even compared to the projected image. Likewise I've evaluated my HD-DVDs on both the Sony Pearl projector and the Panasonic 65" 1080p plasma. The plasma produced a more consistent "holy-crap-that's-clear-and-realistic-looking" impression. But they were also awesome on the projector and as I've written. I figure I'm going to ultimately prefer watching movies on the Big Screen with the more film-like presentation. (And I'm assuming you haven't seen the Panasonic 103" plasma. I have been able to evaluate it under controlled conditions and it can produce an astounding image. I've seen much of the same HD footage on most of the great projectors, but have never seen an over-all more realistic image at that size).

But while I differ with your assessment of plasma image quality, I'm incredibly excited about going with front projection and can't wait to watch films on The Big Screen in my home. I'm going to want to view all my DVDs/HD-DVDs again....

I do like my plasma a lot - BUT only in scenes where there is not much movement. As soon as there is a camera pan or big parts of the image are moving, I'm not satisfied with the image quality, anymore. I see false contouring, green phosphor lag and some motion blur. I think all these problems should be gone with a projector. That's one of the reasons why I'm thinking of going FP.

However, I've just read that the JVC doesn't seem do offer vertical stretch for CIH. That's a deal killer for me, personally, cause I was thinking of going CIH...
post #27 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

Steve,

How big is your screen? Is Ruby bright enough for a 134" 1.3 Gain screen in total dark room? My Z4 is too dim.

Thanks

That's pushing it. My Pearl (which is rated at 900 lumens vs. Ruby's 800) is projecting on to a Hi-Power that size, and with light drop it's still fine, but I'd hesitate to cut the ft-lamberts in half with a 1.3 gain screen...

-Steve
post #28 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

I do like my plasma a lot - BUT only in scenes where there is not much movement. As soon as there is a camera pan or big parts of the image are moving, I'm not satisfied with the image quality, anymore. I see false contouring, green phosphor lag and some motion blur. I think all these problems should be gone with a projector. That's one of the reasons why I'm thinking of going FP.

However, I've just read that the JVC doesn't seem do offer vertical stretch for CIH. That's a deal killer for me, personally, cause I was thinking of going CIH...

The Panny 1000U does vertical stretch and has power zoom and focus to boot...as well as 1080P/24...At alot less in price. The Panny is a remarkable 1080P projector...IMHO...
post #29 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 AM

While I certainly enjoy my plasma in the living room, I prefer the image in my FP home theater. I think it has to do with the fact that with CRT or plasma you are looking directly at a light emitting device whereas with FP you are looking at reflected light - which, of course, is how you view the "real world". I don't know if there is any hard science to support my preference, but there it is.

Dick Fogg
post #30 of 67 Old 02-09-2007, 04:53 PM
rmf

As far as WAF, the walls don't have to be black.Although our first homet theater was a room not used very much, we agreed on a sort of deep red paint. I built a valance at one end of the room painted to match the wall and had a pull down screen behind it. The projector was on the shelf of an end table with the components in an adjacent bookcase. I use to say to people there for the first time, "There's a 100" TV in this room, can you find it?" This was before PJ's were as common, and I got bemused looks and very few solutions.

We now have (in a different home) an electric screen, ceiling speakers, which I wouldn't have done, but which aren't bad, and the components in a closet in the next room with the projector shooting through an aperture in the wall and an IR distribution system. So it can be done fairly unobtrusively.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Fhd Plasma Display

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page