Meridian, trouble with 235:1!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-19-2007, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
At least 2:35- In case anybody is thinking about it- I bought the MF_1 and processor in July for my new 2:35 setup- At that time the anamorphic setup on the processor was just a download away- Well it is 7 months later- I have now gone thru 2 PJ's and 2 processors to get a pair that worked-After CES I spoke to Luke Rawls(hd. video guy at Meridian US- who told me the(anamorphic) fix is ready- So out comes Kevin Miller(ISF) to install and it DOES NOT WORK- actually it got worse- Can not do HDDVD and our light output went down to 9 FL!!!- After one month of my dealer and I calling Meridian with NO response- I even e/m Bob Stuart- I get a phone call from Rawls on Friday saying very non-chalantly that we are working on it and we will let you know when it is ready ,probably a month or two!!- So I have spent money on the PJ ,lens and my ISF guy so that I can not watch a movie- Sorry for the rant but I figured it was time I said something- If anyone wants more detail .please PM me and I will answer any questions-
I guess for standard 16:9 viewing it is fine- Also M is very good with the audio side of thing always very helpful- I guess they cannot do video!!-Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
Gary,

Why did you try a new, untested product when there are many out there that accomplish what you want at the same price point?

There is often a certain amount of pain associated with being the first on your block to try a new technology.

When you were planning the installation, did you do the proper due diligence to find out if you were selecting the right product, and that it would fit the needs of your particular application?

Did you purchase from a locally-based installing dealer who could provide you with the level of support you seem to need so desperately?

If not, did you have complete details on the correct means of installing the projector and lens? Any professional would insist on having such documentation before undertaking such a non-trivial project.

At the very least, I am sure a local dealer would have resolved any issues of basic functionality or installation before you got to the calibration stage.

I hope you get your theater up to speed one day!

Douglas Locklin
Custom Audio Video
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop86 View Post

At least 2:35- In case anybody is thinking about it- I bought the MF_1 and processor in July for my new 2:35 setup- At that time the anamorphic setup on the processor was just a download away- Well it is 7 months later- I have now gone thru 2 PJ's and 2 processors to get a pair that worked-After CES I spoke to Luke Rawls(hd. video guy at Meridian US- who told me the(anamorphic) fix is ready- So out comes Kevin Miller(ISF) to install and it DOES NOT WORK- actually it got worse- Can not do HDDVD and our light output went down to 9 FL!!!- After one month of my dealer and I calling Meridian with NO response- I even e/m Bob Stuart- I get a phone call from Rawls on Friday saying very non-chalantly that we are working on it and we will let you know when it is ready ,probably a month or two!!- So I have spent money on the PJ ,lens and my ISF guy so that I can not watch a movie- Sorry for the rant but I figured it was time I said something- If anyone wants more detail .please PM me and I will answer any questions-
I guess for standard 16:9 viewing it is fine- Also M is very good with the audio side of thing always very helpful- I guess they cannot do video!!-Gary

Ripping a company for a product not even out yet, not even advertised as being avaialble yet, and not ready for demonstration in prototype form, let alone for sale only makes you as the buyer of a $26,000 projector that does not do nor claim to do the one thing you want, only makes you a very poor researcher of what to get, and in no way reflects on Meridian. An MF-1 is a glorious projector....but the dang thing doesn't do dishes so don't buy it waiting for the firmware update for it to do that either. This is why forums get a bad (often deservedly) name....irresponsible postings like yours. If you want a 2:35 set-up, here's a thought.....get something designed to do 2:35.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
hey scott- nice comeback 6 months later- here is a thought for you- before ripping posters be sure of what you speak- I do not remember you being there when my ISF guy and myself had all the conversations with Meridian- For your info- they DID announce the scheinder(?) anamorphic lens would be out at CES last year- So get your info straight before attacking people- enough said-
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:

hey scott- nice comeback 6 months later- here is a thought for you- before ripping posters be sure of what you speak- I do not remember you being there when my ISF guy and myself had all the conversations with Meridian- For your info- they DID announce the scheinder(?) anamorphic lens would be out at CES last year- So get your info straight before attacking people- enough said-

Not meant as an attack. Genuinely sorry it came off that way. One of the dangers of replying to a post while doing other things. So apologies again that it came off curt, which I acknowledge it did. But come one now, you really ripped Meridian a new one and there is a HUGE difference between announcing something and its actual release. My comment was that it was not appropriate of you to disparage a company in whole and publicly because you feel burned that you got an expensive projector before the one thing you indicated you really wanted from it was actually released. Companies announce all the time their intentions and then they fall prey to the reality that someone else's chipset or whatever won't be ready for 6 more months, and so much for the announcement. That's all I meant. Apologies again.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2007, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wallace View Post

An MF-1 is a glorious projector....

if you don't care about contrast...
post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

if you don't care about contrast...

I care about contrast as in absolute black, detail in near-black, and detail at the top end of the scale, all of which the MF-1 has in abundance. They calibrate the cartooniness out of the base model, but some people like the overhyped color. To each their own...
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I care about contrast as in absolute black, .

The Meridian is way way off absolute black. The only time you see black is if there is enough bright content in the picture too. The On-Off contrast of the Meridian is < 3000:1 which means the black level is a rather bright gray.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-2007, 12:09 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

hey scott- nice comeback 6 months later...

Since it is 6 months later, how did it all work out for you?
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

The Meridian is way way off absolute black. The only time you see black is if there is enough bright content in the picture too. The On-Off contrast of the Meridian is < 3000:1 which means the black level is a rather bright gray.

I'm not hung up on numbers. All contrast is from a spec standpoint is any given projectors absolute dark to absolute light. No concern about detail in between exists in that spec. I've seen the MF-1 in the same place as other projectors with purported higher contrast ratio, and the blacks looked....black. Perhaps you saw one on a larger than ideal screen, wrong type of screen material for the projector, or one that had been fussed with and therefore changed from its calibrated state. If it didn't blow you away, something was amiss. You can't like JVC D-ILA's and not think the Meridian isn't just slammin'. In my opinion
post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Forum Notification System

Liked: 18
Title edited. "Cant do video" was to general and a little misleading.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not hung up on numbers. All contrast is from a spec standpoint is any given projectors absolute dark to absolute light. No concern about detail in between exists in that spec. I've seen the MF-1 in the same place as other projectors with purported higher contrast ratio, and the blacks looked....black. Perhaps you saw one on a larger than ideal screen, wrong type of screen material for the projector, or one that had been fussed with and therefore changed from its calibrated state. If it didn't blow you away, something was amiss. You can't like JVC D-ILA's and not think the Meridian isn't just slammin'. In my opinion

I know the HD2K well. The Meridian is a better HD2K with about the same contrast. The black level is several times higher as on the new JVC with the same peak white. That is a fact. And I easily see the gray 'blacks' (e.g. no black) with the HD2K on about half or more of an average feature film. The contrast is the weak point of this projector. It was nothing special 2 years ago and now is completely outdated. The rest may be slamming indeed. So it will look great as long as you stick to the right mixed and bright pictures. Too bad these are not so frequent on the dark medium film.
If Meridian offers a polished up HD1 with better shading, colors and corners it would be slamming a lot more. You would not disagree comparing the two and switch at once (financial issues ignored ).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page