post #631 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

i'm still waiting for my rs1. i've been keeping up with the threads very closely since it started shipping. my read so far is that post with bad comments are coming in more frequently than post with glowing comments. not much bragging going on.

I have the opposite read as well. Having spent at least one hour a day for a year on this forum (always when my better half is not around ), and particularly focusing on the RS1 threads, I think the positive clearly outways the negative, maybe 5:1 (very unscientific, just off top of head )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Last night I put on the NBA game on TNT broadcast in HD with my STB set to 1080i. It looked downright awful. Something was terribly wrong. The best way to describe it is that it looked like very poor resolution, particularly the outlines on everything.

When I walked up to the screen it looked like each tiny pixel had the effect of being 10x10 size pixels if you know what I mean. It was a real mess.

I guess there is always a chance that their broadcast was messed up, but I don't think so as the prior game to the doubleheader did the same thing.

What is also strange is that I do not see this issue at all when watching other HD programming on TNT such as a movie they were broadcasting earlier. Likewise ESPN HD, and all other cable channels HD and SD looked fine. My cable box HDMI is set to what they call in the menus "YCC 4:4:4".

What could have caused this? Could it have been a flag of some sort in the program material that caused the RS1 to use the wrong type of processing on it?

Lovingdvd - did the movement also look a little choppy? I got my RS1 yesterday and played around it for about 5 hours. Two times, (once with my xbox, and once with my Dish STB on ESPNHD watching college hoops, both over component btw) when I switched their output resolution from 720p to 1080i, it looked real choppy like the RS1 was out of sync. I resynced and it looked fine, but I suspect something is going on with the RS1 and syncing with 1080i, I don't think it was the broadcast. Once resynced all HD looked great.

So far, pretty happy with RS1, haven't calibrated yet and need to get HDMI all hooked up. I'm a little like Bob in that I'm slightly disappointed in overall brightness. I plan to measure this weekend, but coming from 720p DLP with over 1,000 hours on the bulb, to my eye I would have expected a little more brightness than what I'm getting right now. I'm throwing to a 119" diagonal (103" wide) 1.3 gain screen from about 16.5'. This however, is my temporary location as I want to put this in projection room behind my theater. This will increase the throw to about 22' and that coupled with bulb aging, I don't think I'm where I need to be FtL-wise.

This also leads me to my other issue, which isn't really a performance nit, but I'm not sure mounting this in a projection room with a wall in front of the PJ (even leaving 8" for airflow) is going to work without some sort of specific ventilation at the PJ. Even in normal bulb setting a good amount of heat pours out of the vent. I have good air flow in the PJ room already for all my other equipment and really don't want to rig something else up at this point.

Couldn't really notice bright corners or lightspill.

Some of my local channels have terrible crud at the top, is the "mask" option the only overscan setting, is there something other than just the 2.5% in the mask menu option?

Colors are a little oversaturated OTB, but hopefully can get dialed in this weekend.

That's it for now.

David
post #633 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

I think someone already stated that the menu overscan adjustment is not 'fine' enough. The suggestion was to zoom the VITC crud into the screens black to hide it. (Not very convienent for a PJ room though)
post #634 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

Wow! You know the RS1 is a hit when the self described Sony fanboy/king of SXRD never actually buys an SXRD but opts to buy the latest gen JVC instead. Who wouldathunkit?! (sorry Tryg I had to give you some s*^t because Tom Stites can't although I'm sure he wants too ).

Let us know how you like it. This thing is going to rawk the house compared to your G1000

Well there were a few years there where I did rip on JVC a lot. You guys can thank me... I guess it payed off

I'll be honest I would have laughed at you two years ago if you told me I'd be buying another JVC projector. These guys really turned it around. Bravo JVC! I'm really looking forward to getting mine.

It's a beautiful projector. It's pretty hard to imagine getting better and having people really care at this point. Of course there's always us at AVS striving for perfection.

After seeing this unit though I'd bet most consumers would say manufacturers should focus on lower prices not try to make a better picture. At the top end it's questionable and very subjective which is better now. Not as clear cut as it was 3 years ago.

If Sony can trump this it will likely be in pricing not image
post #635 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

HHF, you don't mince words lol
...The achilles heal of the DI however is that bright detail (> 70 IRE or so) in dark scenes is drastically reduced. In the case of the VW50, the brightest 100 IRE detail is reduced by 2/3rds. Maximum contrast being a ratio of max white to min black is therefore reduced by the same amount.

Mark, you clearly know how a DI works!

There is a reason that Sony suggests calibrating at contrast = 80, its to provide headroom for the compensating driver boost.
post #636 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr View Post

I would adjust the Offset RGB controls to produce the best D65 grayscale in the middle CT mode as a starting reference. The Offset RGB controls can both increase and decrease RGB values, which is basically to compensate for lamp color temperature drift over time. But I think most people would not want the projector to clip with a digital value of 235 (equivalent to 100 IRE) and would want to add some headroom. So you have the option of reducing the RGB Offset values further to add headroom to all CT modes, or reducing the Contrast control before adjusting the RGB Offset values, or not adding any headroom for the preset CT modes. Instead, you could use the User CT modes and adjust the RGB values to both achieve D65 and add headroom. Of course you could also add the headroom in the User CT modes by reducing the Contrast control. My personal preference is to leave the Contrast control at its default value (as a known reference position) and use the various RGB adjustments to provide headroom in the CT modes where you want it.

Thanks greg. So far the default settiings in that middle CT mode look pretty darn good to me. I think I'll start there as you suggested. Can't wait for you review, BTW.

blackbird and Mark,
Thanks for the clue. I knew it had to be something simple and with the late night I knew I wasn't thinking straight. Hopefully DVDO will address the issue soon, mid-March maybe.

Keith S.
post #637 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 AM

Does the very black blacks the RS1 is capable of mean that it is a good candidate for the zoom method for use with a 2.35:1 screen see RS1 review

Quote:

Alright, now it was time to put in some source material and fire up an image. In a wordgorgeous. The first thing anyone will notice is the deep black levels. They are black. In fact, when I was measuring for contrast I had to get my meter very, very close to the lens to even get it to take a reading.

I can use the projector in this mode because it will fit my room and screen size. Using a lens would require me to buy scaler too which I could do without.
post #638 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 AM

Art:

Thanks for the attention given to high altitude noise issues!

That's a picture of Leadbelly's grave in Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery Mooringsport Caddo Parish Louisiana (with Arlo Gutherie's guitar picks placed in memoriam). Arlo put them on his grave in 2005 and they were still there in 2012.
post #639 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

If you don't know how a DI works, maybe you should not post on the subject.

Houston, we have a new posting monitor. I guess Bob has the right idea, time to quit posting here.

Sorry you don't approve of my post but I didn't get the impression an engineering design dissertation on the subject was warranted.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
post #640 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

One thing that surprised me about the projectorreviews.com review was this:

Quote:

the JVC, overall had very good sharpness. I consider it to be almost identical to the Sony Pearl, in fact I can barely tell them apart in sharpness. Most of the time, when viewing side by side, I considered them a tie. (This when looking for differences in sharpness). Let's say it was a tie 65% of the time, then I felt that the JVC was sharper (by a tiny amount) 25% of the time and the Sony appeared sharper (by a hair) 10%.

This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the RS1 was not sharper than the Pearl.
post #641 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post

I just installed mine last night and took a quick look at HD-DVD superman returns and the hulk. Those two movies had some dark scenes that were poorly handled by my Z4 so I wanted to see what the JVC would do with them. WOW! I saw a bunch of details in the hulk-dog fight scene that I had never seen before. It was an amazing difference. I noticed details like one of the dog's green eyes bulging out from being crushed by the Hulk, the hulk hitting one of the dogs with a rock in his hand and other small details. I had watched this scene several times before on my Z4 and played around with brightness settings trying to see more detail during this scene and never saw anything like what I saw last night. In Superman Returns, the night scene where he is flying Lois around at night over Metropolis, I saw a lot more detail. I could see waves on the water and could clearly see their reflection in the water when they were flying over it. I had watched this scene before on my Z4 and saw none of that. Shadow detail is great!

How much brighter will you rate the image of this RS1 compare to Z4, in %? Thanks
post #642 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

One thing that surprised me about the projectorreviews.com review was this:

This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the RS1 was not sharper than the Pearl.

Perhaps this is simply a setup issue, I've have yet to see any reports of the variations between Cinema mode and the others but from the description in manual I'd bet that cinema mode has sharpness backed off. Entering the user adjustable menu to adjust contrast/brightness etc defaults to "normal" mode settings which I suspect have a higher sharpness applied. If contrast and brightness are adjusted in cinema mode but shaprness left untouched this may reduce the perceived sharpness compared to someone adjusting brightness and contrast using another mode.

Just a theory.
post #643 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

At least with the RS1 and Pearl samples that Art had, there was little if any difference in sharpness between the two. However, the RS1 sharpness was at 0 and he may have had a Pearl with very good convergence. The only other time I saw the RS1 (HD1 actually) and the Pearl side-by-side was at CES, and there, the HD1 was sharper.

Enjoy!

Mike
Surf Remote Control
Contributing reviewer and THX calibrator, ProjectorReviews.com
post #644 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavour View Post

Does the very black blacks the RS1 is capable of mean that it is a good candidate for the zoom method for use with a 2.35:1 screen see RS1 review

I can use the projector in this mode because it will fit my room and screen size. Using a lens would require me to buy scaler too which I could do without.

As long as you are willing to do the manual focus every time you switch, you should be fine.

How cumbersome this is is determined by your opinion and projector placement, I would think.

Best Regards,
Doug
post #645 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post

LovingDVD,

Regarding the ftL measurements with the Eyeone. The probe is generally used by angling it up the screen to avoid it's own shadow, is this how the measurements were taken or did you bring the the probe out from the screen several feet and point it more directly at the screen?

Thanks.

THere are problems doing this with a screen like the Firehawk, which shifts color and brightness depending on viewing angle. I place the beamer in the spot where the eyes of a viewer would be when sitting in the prime seat.

Also, I have measured the FH at 1.14 gain in the center of the screen with a PJ mounted .16 times screen height above the screen and 2X screen width away from screen.

Glen
post #646 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenned View Post

THere are problems doing this with a screen like the Firehawk, which shifts color and brightness depending on viewing angle. I place the beamer in the spot where the eyes of a viewer would be when sitting in the prime seat.

Also, I have measured the FH at 1.14 gain in the center of the screen with a PJ mounted .16 times screen height above the screen and 2X screen width away from screen.

Glen

Hi,

That was exactly my point of asking Lovingdvd his method. I only have sample of the screen in question but it's obvious from it that any measurements not on axis with the viewers eyes will under report peak ftL measurements, even when on axis depending on the distance from screen the results could also be low due to the sensors shadow.

With the amount of discussion on the variations of measured output I thought I'd throw this out there, differing methods will attain different results depending on screen type, room, sensor.
post #647 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up my RS-1 from Tryg last night, took it home, set it on the couch in my theater, and hooked it up via component to an HD DVD player. The first disc in was King Kong, which looked wonderful. Over all, the picture is great, very detailed and very colorful while still looking natural. The black level does not match that of my former CRT, the NEC XG85, but it is very good, and no doubt compromised by my white walls. I look forward to hanging it and dialing it in. So far, I'm very happy with what I've seen. Thanks, Tryg!

Steve Goff
post #648 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps this is simply a setup issue, I've have yet to see any reports of the variations between Cinema mode and the others but from the description in manual I'd bet that cinema mode has sharpness backed off. Entering the user adjustable menu to adjust contrast/brightness etc defaults to "normal" mode settings which I suspect have a higher sharpness applied. If contrast and brightness are adjusted in cinema mode but shaprness left untouched this may reduce the perceived sharpness compared to someone adjusting brightness and contrast using another mode.

Just a theory.

Are you guys using CINEMA or NATURAL as your "film" viewing menu choice? Wonder why Natural was chosen for the default (vs. CINEMA?) Do you think CINEMA provides a softer image? I noticed CINEMA was used in the projector reviews review.
post #649 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

Well there were a few years there where I did rip on JVC a lot. You guys can thank me... I guess it payed off

I'll be honest I would have laughed at you two years ago if you told me I'd be buying another JVC projector. These guys really turned it around. Bravo JVC! I'm really looking forward to getting mine.

It's a beautiful projector. It's pretty hard to imagine getting better and having people really care at this point. Of course there's always us at AVS striving for perfection.

After seeing this unit though I'd bet most consumers would say manufacturers should focus on lower prices not try to make a better picture. At the top end it's questionable and very subjective which is better now. Not as clear cut as it was 3 years ago.

If Sony can trump this it will likely be in pricing not image

Well put. So, the question is, what will be the price of the RS1 (or its replacement) a year from now? Two years from now? My uneducated guess is a 50% price drop in two years, and as you say, will depend on the competition pricing (Sony, etc.)
post #650 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2 View Post

Well put. So, the question is, what will be the price of the RS1 (or its replacement) a year from now? Two years from now? My uneducated guess is a 50% price drop in two years, and as you say, will depend on the competition pricing (Sony, etc.)

Those of us who are "pioneers" and jump on the bandwagon early should never feel bad if the price drops on their chosen projector because they have enjoyed it much longer than those who waited. That being said, I never should have ordered three Movietime Optomas because I got so excited about them at the time. The price on that model dropped much faster than expected and is now about half of what I paid only a year and a half ago.

Never learning the lesson, I got overly excited about the JVC and now have two units coming in. (We have three screening areas in our house, to my wife's chagrin). I don't need the extra one, so I will offer my second unit for a great price. Just PM me if you are interested.

By the way, I am quite jealous of all of you who already are enjoying your units! For me the best part is re-watching DVD's and seeing them in a new light, so to speak!!
post #651 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Are you guys using CINEMA or NATURAL as your "film" viewing menu choice? Wonder why Natural was chosen for the default (vs. CINEMA?) Do you think CINEMA provides a softer image? I noticed CINEMA was used in the projector reviews review.

The Natural mode uses the Middle color temperature, which is close to D65 out of the box. The Cinema mode uses the Low color temperature.

Greg Rogers
Video Engineer/Product Designer

post #652 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

How much brighter will you rate the image of this RS1 compare to Z4, in %? Thanks

Well my Z4 already has a 1000 hours on it, so I can't really give a fair assesment there now. I don't ever remember my Z4 being as bright as what I'm seeing on the RS1 though, but memory can be a tricky thing. Comparing how it is right now, I would say that the RS1 looks about 50 to 60% brighter than my aged Z4 bulb. But irregardless of that, I have never seen the kind of shadow detail with the Z4 that I'm seeing with the RS1. That is the aspect that has most impressed me so far. The fan noise is also very non-intrusive.
post #653 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodoug View Post

As long as you are willing to do the manual focus every time you switch, you should be fine.

How cumbersome this is is determined by your opinion and projector placement, I would think.

Best Regards,
Doug

Yep, I completely agree with that. I was thinking of using the zoom method on a 2.35 screen with my RS1, but after testing what that would require on my current 16x9 screen there is no way I'm going to do it now. My unit is ceiling mounted and adjusting from 16x9 to 2.35 requires both zooming and a lot of image shifting. I know that I'm not going to want to run through that procedure very often so I've decided to just wait on 2.35 until I can afford to get a high quality lens and scaler. The lens shifting controls also feel pretty loose when making adjustments so I don't want to be constantly messing with them either. The upside though was that when I did zoom the 2.35 image out, it still had great picture quality, so if you are willing to deal with the zooming process, then the projector definitely has the image quality to back it up.
post #654 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Natural mode uses the Middle color temperature, which is close to D65 out of the box. The Cinema mode uses the Low color temperature.

Thanks Greg,
So they are exactly the same w/ the exception of color temperature. Interesting.
post #655 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is worthy of posting in the first post under your other comments re initial setup. Thanks Greg.
post #656 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

LovingDVD,

Regarding the ftL measurements with the Eyeone. The probe is generally used by angling it up the screen to avoid it's own shadow, is this how the measurements were taken or did you bring the the probe out from the screen several feet and point it more directly at the screen?

Thanks.

I had the EyeOne on a tripod about 1 foot away from the screen, angled up so that it was pointed at the dead center of the screen but not in or near its shadow.

Are you thinking this resulted in me getting a higher reading than what is actual, or a lower one?

If you think it matters, I can measure again tonight from the angle that a viewers eyes would meet the screen's center. Although doing so would require the meter to be likely at least 12 feet, possibly the full 15 feet away from the screen and I'm not sure the meter would give accurate results that far back... ?
post #657 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Samuelian View Post

Just PM me if you are interested.

You have a PM
post #658 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrey View Post

Lovingdvd - did the movement also look a little choppy?
David

No, it wasn't really choppy at all. The best way to describe it is that parts of the picture looked like HD, while anything moving had terrible pixelation around all its edges. It was sorta like a mix between watching HD and analog SD at the same time - if you can picture that. I'm hoping TNT was just having a bad night with something wrong with their feed.
post #659 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Thanks Greg,
So they are exactly the same w/ the exception of color temperature. Interesting.

"Cinema" = Colour Temp @ "low", Gamma @ "A", Colour @"-5"

"Natural" = Colour Temp @ "middle", Gamma @ "Normal", Colour @ "0"

"Dynamic" = Colour Temp @ "high", Gamma" @ "C", Colour @ "+10", Contrast @ "+5", Brightness @ "-5", Sharpness @ "+5"

Dazzer
post #660 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx View Post

"Cinema" = Colour Temp @ "low", Gamma @ "A", Colour @"-5"

"Natural" = Colour Temp @ "middle", Gamma @ "Normal", Colour @ "0"

"Dynamic" = Colour Temp @ "high", Gamma" @ "C", Colour @ "+10", Contrast @ "+5", Brightness @ "-5", Sharpness @ "+5"

Dazzer

Supplemented Greg's comments with these. Thanks Dazzer!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page