post #721 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Interesting, not a mention on either the PR & PC reviews about convergence, bright corners or watermarking. Did they not look for it or did they not see any. We've had almost everybody here comment on those things.

Art did mention the bright corner, but he stated it was a non-issue.

Quote:

The RS1 has no light leakage issues. When you consider how superior this projector is in black levels, any light leaking through the lens, would be dramatic. I do notice slightly brighter areas in the upper left and lower right, but these may just be the normal amount of uneveness of illumination that all projectors suffer. There is also no noticeable light leaking out of the exhaust vents, etc.

Bottom line - no issue here!

BetrayThis Clan
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
DreamKill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Greg from mid throw I am measuring with my AEMC CA 813 just 361 lumens now in Normal mode with 20 hours on the bulb from mid throw at the Middle color temp.

I'm also only coming out to 9500:1 on/off.

I've been posting about this discrepancy for a few days. A few reviewers like Tom Norton and a French reviewer got the same very low measurements @ D65 as did I and Bob.

What do you suspect could be going on here? Bad bulb??

I don't know yet. I'm trying to get a sense of the range of the data. If you only got a 9500:1 full-field contrast ratio then I'm not suspecting the lamp or the lamp circuit. Do you know if other people getting low lumens numbers are also getting low CR? (It can be a little tricky taking CR measurements when the values are this high so I'm being a little cautious about jumping to conclusions).

Also did you measure the color temp for the Middle CT (I assume you didn't try to calibrate it?) I know you were running at max drive before clipping from your earlier comments about the Contrast control.

Greg Rogers
Video Engineer/Product Designer

post #723 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

And the 12' wide Cinemascope High Power is an incredible match up. Looks absolutely stunning.

Nice.

Craig

No changes are permanent, but change is - Peart
ReedZone Theater Thread
post #724 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse98 View Post

Keithsimp, since you are in Denver I would appreciate if you can post your impressions on fan noise in HA Mode. Also, did you try to run your RS-1 in non-HA mode, do you have any problems with PJ overheating ?

Thanks !!

Here's what I heard.......4 different noise levels on this pj from quiet to loudest:
High Altitude Off, Normal Lamp power
High Altitude On, Normal Lamp power
High Altitude Off, High Lamp power
High Altitude On, High Lamp power

When the High Lamp power is turned on the fan speeds up but there is also a higher pitch to the fan sound, adding to the noise level. It gets louder when you add the High Altitude. This highest level is about what my Sim DLP sounds like now.
Going from High Altitude Off to On, in the Normal Lamp mode the fan speeds up, but the noise does not increase incrementally because the fan has a lower pitch to it. Does this make sense to anyone?

I have had no reason to run this pj with High Altitude Off, because the noise level for is not enough to warrant running pj at the lower speed. Why run the risk of running at the lower speed and damage the bulb, just to prove a point.
I have lived with the high pitched whine and noise of a 4 year old DLP projector, it can't get any worse than that. To me the RS1 is quiet.

Keith S.
post #725 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Why does everyone think there's a brightness difference in PJ's? It has to be the lamp correct? If you use a test pattern from the projector itself, that eliminates source components.

Did anybody get a B/U lamp with their PJ? I'd be very curious to see how Lumes differ between two different lamps in the same PJ.
post #726 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Why does everyone think there's a brightness difference in PJ's? It has to be the lamp correct?

Not necessarily.

Greg Rogers

post #727 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Ernie... I like your point. It would be nice if it were possible to test 5 bulbs on the same PJ to see what variations occur. Two bulbs will tell you something, but you need more than that to get an accurate sample. 5 bulbs probably isn't enough but it would be better. It's probably not realistic to test any more than that. If all 5 were consistent than that for the most part rules out bulb QC problems.

Krister
post #728 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

BTW,
If anyone is interested, I'm getting:
~414 lumens @ 2.3x (18.5 ft.) Normal Lamp power
~505 lumens @ 2.3x (18.5 ft.) High Lamp power

7 Hours on the bulb.

That equates to approx. 15 ftl and 18 ftl correct? That's more than I have ever had.

Sorry, had to add that I'm using a ST130 96" wide screen for those calculations.

Keith S.
post #729 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Where can one get a decent but cost effective light meter?

Krister
post #730 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

After seeing Mark's picture, I have to wonder if the bluish-cyan mottling I am seeing in the 60% to 90% stimulus patterns is the same or related. I will have to take a look at a 100% blue full field to see if I can see similar problems to Mark's (That's what you used, right, Mark?).

Yup, I saw it when looking for dead pixels so I put up full field 100 IRE R,G and then B and I only saw it with the blue panel. It was in three places though. If you're seeing it with a white field though yours must be worse because once I combine it with the other panels it's too washed out to see.
post #731 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I've lived with a high pitched whine and noise for 23 years now and no propector is going to be worse than her err that.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #732 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr View Post

Not necessarily.

Could be settings also........pre/post calibration....I would have to go back and reread everything to see at what point the poster took the measurement.

Keith S.
post #733 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm simply amazed at how far we've come. While watching the image last night I was Thinking you simply couldn't produce this image last year at ANY price. Now you can do it for about $7k. I'm shellshocked.

Isn't that true. There are aspects of the RS1 that can't be matched at any price. Some over $10k projectors best it in some areas, Sharp has CMS and color accuracy for example, but even the best $50k DLP 3-chip light canon's don't have this sort of contrast.
post #734 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

One thing that surprised me about the projectorreviews.com review was this:

This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the RS1 was not sharper than the Pearl.

Surprised the hell out of me, too. In fact what really surprised me, (per the VW50 review), was that it definitely seemed sharper than the many times I saw the Pearl at tradeshows.

In other words, the JVC's sharpness was very good, and the Sony I reviewed, surprisingly was about its equal.

Someone suggested that the Sony I received (a "golden" unit) picked to go out to reviewers may have slightly superior optics/light path, than the average consumer unit found at dealers. "best of the best, so to speak. Considering the box the Sony came in, it probably had already been used for 2 or 3 print reviews already.

Certainly more manufacturers than not, cherry pick units for shows and for reviewers.

My impressions of the Sony at CES, EHX, and CEDIA is that it was visibly a bit soft, and I was surprised on how little "soft" the review unit was.

The bottom line, however is that the JVC is definitely sharp enough. I'm almost certain to buy an RS1, for me, and I'll be sitting only 11 feet and change from my 128" screen. Because of my very close seating, I have always, therefore, been a huge fan of sharp, probably about as picky as anyone, in this regard.

So, maybe the Sony I had for the review was the sharpest one ever built, or not. Either way, it has little bearing on people's decision as to which projector is better, for, ultimately the black levels and shadow detail of the JVC are just far beyond the competition. And even if the Sony is as sharp, the JVC is definitely worth the differnce in price (IMO) thanks -art

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
post #735 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I've lived with a high pitched whine and noise for 23 years now and no propector is going to be worse than her err that.

ROFL!

Craig

ReedZone Theater Thread
post #736 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for posting your impressions on the forum Art. The fact that you are strongly considering getting one for yourself is the real endorsement .

Krister
post #737 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post

Anyone else remember: "the RS1 will have some special differences/extras when compared to the HD1".

Yes, I remember that, but it wasn't from Tom. It was unsubstantiated, unlike this constant-light-with-zoom thing. That was a sure thing from JVC at one time.
post #738 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter View Post

Surprised the hell out of me, too. In fact what really surprised me, (per the VW50 review), was that it definitely seemed sharper than the many times I saw the Pearl at tradeshows.

In other words, the JVC's sharpness was very good, and the Sony I reviewed, surprisingly was about its equal.

Someone suggested that the Sony I received (a "golden" unit) picked to go out to reviewers may have slightly superior optics/light path, than the average consumer unit found at dealers. "best of the best, so to speak. Considering the box the Sony came in, it probably had already been used for 2 or 3 print reviews already.

Certainly more manufacturers than not, cherry pick units for shows and for reviewers.

My impressions of the Sony at CES, EHX, and CEDIA is that it was visibly a bit soft, and I was surprised on how little "soft" the review unit was.

The bottom line, however is that the JVC is definitely sharp enough. I'm almost certain to buy an RS1, for me, and I'll be sitting only 11 feet and change from my 128" screen. Because of my very close seating, I have always, therefore, been a huge fan of sharp, probably about as picky as anyone, in this regard.

So, maybe the Sony I had for the review was the sharpest one ever built, or not. Either way, it has little bearing on people's decision as to which projector is better, for, ultimately the black levels and shadow detail of the JVC are just far beyond the competition. And even if the Sony is as sharp, the JVC is definitely worth the differnce in price (IMO) thanks -art

Art, great review! Even with the "pound of salt" I found the screenshots really interesting. From a layman's p.o.v. it added a lot of context and texture to your review. Anyway, enough gushing.

I'm going to apologize in advance if someone else has mentioned this (very hard thread to keep on top of!), but one of the things I found very surprising was your brightness measurements - especially when you consider some of the lumen measurements posted here (Bob, et. al.). From your review:

"Cinema mode (with Color Temp at Middle), even on Normal (low) lamp power, cranked out a very impressive 654 lumens. Kicking the lamp into high power, increased lumen output to a very bright 773 lumens."

I think - and I may be wrong - this is the highest lumen meaurement reported thus far. There certainly seems to be a huge variance. What throw were you at?

Craig.

Craig

ReedZone Theater Thread
post #739 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Why does everyone think there's a brightness difference in PJ's? It has to be the lamp correct?

No...A friend of mine has a Pearl which measured very low (~400 lumens) on a new lamp. We tried another new lamp and got similar results. It turned out that the panel drivers in the service menu were turned way down.
Quote:

If you use a test pattern from the projector itself, that eliminates source components.

Yes, but...

[ShamelessPlug]Even better is the Accupel HDG-3000 reference pattern generator! Not only can it be connected to any input in any format (DVI, HDMI, RGB-HV, etc.), but it can pixel match to any fixed pixel display's native resolution, can be output in either video or PC levels, and generates all of the patterns necessary to measure and calibrate any display. This rock solid stable pattern generator can be inserted anywhere in the video chain to calibrate individual devices to entire chains except for the source components themselves.[/ShamelessPlug]
post #740 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post

Thanks for posting your impressions on the forum Art. The fact that you are strongly considering getting one for yourself is the real endorsement .

Thanks,

Truth is, I love to watch projectors... When a projector leaves my "testing" room, and goes into my theater, I watch movies and HDTV, I essentially never "watch" the projector.

Usually if something jumps out at me when a projector is in the theater, it's a problem.

Many of you folks are more into the tech/tech performance, I often suspect, than the watching of content. Which is fine by me.

In my tainted youth, managing high end (actually exotic level) stereo stores I quickly became a "Stereophile" instead of an audiophile. It got so bad, I wouldn't listen to some favorite bands, because my sound system was state of the art, and many of the bands, put out records with lousy production quality, poor pressings. It drove me crazy. Took me a year or two to tune out the technology and get back to being completely focused on the music.

I try to do the same when reviewing. it ultimately comes down to what makes the movie or other source look great, and not inflict itself on the viewer.

The JVC is the best under $10K projector I have encountered to date. Everytime I popped in another HD or Blu-ray, or watched some HDTV, it was obvious. I rarely tolerate watching SD TV in my theater - it's too painful on a screen as large as mine. I have other rooms for regular TV.

Be it the rich, intense colors even very dark ones, or essentially never a flat black area missing shadow detail, those are all part of it, but really, the JVC just made everything look amazing. Both the Sony, and my BenQ PE8720, never got that close in terms of "wow" factor. To me, it's not so much what goes in to making a great projector, but "what comes out".

I doubt that a movie theater these days can surpass the JVC (in wow factor if not many technical aspects). With current laws, there is more ambient light in theaters (at least in California) I still get out at least once a month to the movies, (it helps keep perspective) and all those exit lights, and sconces, prevent any theater I've been in (especially digital ones), from coming close to the black levels you can have with this sucka. I now can't wait to finally replace the BenQ, and once that's set, finally get my walls darker. They're off white now, and believe me, I can tell the bounceback affects the JVC's performance (my testing room has fairly dark walls).

Everyone have fun, I'm out of here for the weekend. Gotta recover and finish an Optoma HD73 review, for those not as fanatical or as willing to part with "the big bucks". -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #741 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Truth is, I love to watch projectors... When a projector leaves my "testing" room, and goes into my theater, I watch movies and HDTV, I essentially never "watch" the projector.

Oops - freudian slip? meant to write:

Truth is, I love to watch movies, not projectors....

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #742 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

I saw a post about the use of a universal projector mount that did not come with the proper screws to mount the projector. The Chief RPU universal mount does include screws of the right size to mount the projector.

Just use the screws from the feet. Just take the sticky tab off the top of each one and loosen the screws with a wrench and away you go. They are already the perfect length to go all the way down into the hole on the projector and tighten up to the mount. Another example of JVC's fine engineering on this projector.

Just one more upgrade honey, I promise!!
post #743 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

If you only got a 9500:1 full-field contrast ratio then I'm not suspecting the lamp or the lamp circuit.

Should I take that to mean that 9500:1 doesn't seem out of line? Or do you mean that it still sounds like an issue but not necessarily with the lamp or lamp circuit?

Quote:

Do you know if other people getting low lumens numbers are also getting low CR?

Yes. I know the French reviewer post he measured in the 9000ish:1 range and also had the low lumens.

I'll ask Bob if he had a chance to measure his on/off as I know he's in the same low lumen camp. Also concerning is that I went from 123 lux at the screen to 117 lux as I went from 2 hrs on the bulb to 15. I guess that's not too unusual, but yikes.

Quote:

(It can be a little tricky taking CR measurements when the values are this high so I'm being a little cautious about jumping to conclusions).

Agreed. However I am quite confident in my measuring technique and the meter. As an example I was measuring about 13,000:1 with my Ruby with no iris tweaks, an 20,,200:1 with iris tweak - and Darin confirmed he was in the 20000:1 range with the same tweak.

For details on my exact approach to measuring please see this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755705

Quote:

Also did you measure the color temp for the Middle CT (I assume you didn't try to calibrate it?)

Correct. These lumens were measured with OOTB settings on Middle color temp with Normal lamp. Throw is 15.5 feet from a 106" diag Firehawk.

I also did a D65 calibration on User 1 and lumens fell as a result about 2% or so as their default OOTB Middle was still a bit too cool.

Quote:

I know you were running at max drive before clipping from your earlier comments about the Contrast control.

Correct, confident in the brightness and contrast settings. No room whatsoever left (and in fact its probably even pushing things a bit to be running at 0 for Contrast which seems to be cutting it very close).

Thanks. I'd greatly appreciate your advise here. I'm trying to figure out whether I should bother trying to replace the lamp or just exchange the RS1 for another one when available.

As a side note, I also measured significantly more brightness in the corners working their way up towards the middle. Maybe I have a lemon similar to Bob - I don't know?
post #744 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No...A friend of mine has a Pearl which measured very low (~400 lumens) on a new lamp. We tried another new lamp and got similar results. It turned out that the panel drivers in the service menu were turned way down.

That is exactly what I was thinking about when LovingDVD said his contrast ratio was below 10,000:1. If both the contrast ratio and the lumen output are low, then it's not likely the lamp or lamp circuit, else the contrast ratio should still be high because both reference white and black drop with a lower lamp output. Instead it appears that something is limiting the maximum drive to the panels, which limits both the lumen output and the contrast ratio.

Quote:

Yes, but...

[ShamelessPlug]Even better is the Accupel HDG-3000 reference pattern generator! Not only can it be connected to any input in any format (DVI, HDMI, RGB-HV, etc.), but it can pixel match to any fixed pixel display's native resolution, can be output in either video or PC levels, and generates all of the patterns necessary to measure and calibrate any display. This rock solid stable pattern generator can be inserted anywhere in the video chain to calibrate individual devices to entire chains except for the source components themselves.[/ShamelessPlug]

Do I owe you something for that plug, Bob?

Greg Rogers

post #745 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks -art

Thanks for posting here Art. Your review and comments here are much appreciated!
post #746 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

yes

correction. 565 lumens in High lamp max throw.

Tryg,

Which unit did you measure the lumens on, the one you still have, or the one that went to the customer last night? If it was the one that went to the customer last night, would you measure the one you have now to see what kind of lumen variation there is between these 2 particular units?

Thanks

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #747 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should I take that to mean that 9500:1 doesn't seem out of line? Or do you mean that it still sounds like an issue but not necessarily with the lamp or lamp circuit?

I mean 9500:1 seems very low, and therefore it appears that something is limiting the drive to the panels, which would lower both the lumen output and the contrast ratio in about the same ratio. So if the contrast ratio should be about 15,000:1 (depends on the throw ratio) then the lumens would also come up about 50% or so. If the problem were simply a low lamp output (from a bad lamp or lamp driver circuit) then it would affect lumen output but only marginally contrast ratio. So I'm thinking it isn't the lamp.

Quote:

Yes. I know the French reviewer post he measured in the 9000ish:1 range and also had the low lumens.

So that would fit the theory of something reducing the panel drive, rather than a lamp problem.

Quote:

Thanks. I'd greatly appreciate your advise here. I'm trying to figure out whether I should bother trying to replace the lamp or just exchange the RS1 for another one when available.

I shouldn't be trying to diagnose a projector problem without seeing it, but both low CR and low lumens seem to be a strong indicator that it isn't lamp related.

Quote:

As a side note, I also measured significantly more brightness in the corners working their way up towards the middle. Maybe I have a lemon similar to Bob - I don't know?

I think that and convergence are simply going to vary from projector to projector, just like the Sony's.

Greg Rogers

post #748 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

So that would fit the theory of something reducing the panel drive, rather than a lamp problem.

Greg, is there a service menu on the RS-1, and if so, is there any way to adjust the panel drivers?
Quote:

I'll ask Bob if he had a chance to measure his on/off as I know he's in the same low lumen camp.

No, I haven't. With all of my other projector problems I have it just didn't seem important. I'll try to take more measurements on Sunday, but tonight I just want to sit down and enjoy the projector, faults and all...
Quote:

Do I owe you something for that plug, Bob?

Now that you mention it...

I could use the code to get into the service menu if it exists...
post #749 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll try to take more measurements on Sunday, but tonight I just want to sit down and enjoy the projector, faults and all...

Bob...

As frustrating as your RS-1 may be, at least you can put them aside and enjoy it for what it's worth .

Krister
post #750 of 8752 Old 03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

I mean 9500:1 seems very low, and therefore it appears that something is limiting the drive to the panels, which would lower both the lumen output and the contrast ratio in about the same ratio. So if the contrast ratio should be about 15,000:1 (depends on the throw ratio) then the lumens would also come up about 50% or so. If the problem were simply a low lamp output (from a bad lamp or lamp driver circuit) then it would affect lumen output but only marginally contrast ratio. So I'm thinking it isn't the lamp.

I shouldn't be trying to diagnose a projector problem without seeing it, but both low CR and low lumens seem to be a strong indicator that it isn't lamp related.

I think that and convergence are simply going to vary from projector to projector, just like the Sony's.

Thanks for all the info Greg!

The next question in my mind would be is there a way then to adjust the panel drive so RS1 owners who are not getting the performance they should be getting can?

For me personally, I wont be satisfied unless I am getting similar performance (as far as convergence, CR, and lumens) to what Jason, C4H, Art at projectorreviews, and Evan at PC have been reporting as well as various users (a couple of UK users were measuring CR numbers very similar to C4H, etc). I dont think this is to much to ask.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page