JVC DLA-RS1 Owner's Thread - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8731 of 8749 Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
buggdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ellington, CT
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my last oem replacement bulb from avs. I was thinking of trying one of the Osram bulbs instead of the oem bulb. I PM'd GlennC but not sure if he is still on the forums. he previously conducted the bulb upgrade if you sent him the old housing and bulb.

.
buggdog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8732 of 8749 Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Buttabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've probably gone through 10 bulbs on my RS1. About 2 bulbs a year. Well over 14k hours on it and still works great. I noticed by running the projector in high altitude mode I never have a bulb flicker on me. They seem to last longer and stay bright longer as well.

BUT after changing the bulb so many times and having my fair share of them blowing up, I'd like to try converting it to a LED light source for shits and giggles. Anyone know which wire would allow me to trick the circuit board into thinking that the bulb is fine and then boot up properly? I might need to add a resistor so it tricks the computer into thinking it has a regular working bulb in the path. The resistor would create the same voltage reading as a regular working bulb.

I'm thinking if I can get it to run without a bulb, I can insert an LED with an external power supply. I know it's possible with other projectors as I've seen people do it on youtube with crappy old projectors. I'm curious what kind of light output the RS1 would yield because it has an interesting prism that seems optimized opposed to the ones i've seen converted.

Joe.T
Buttabean is online now  
post #8733 of 8749 Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Senior Member
 
dla26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Interesting. I'm completely in the minority in that I've been using the same bulb on my RS1 since I got it used in 2008 or 2009. I'll have to check how many hours are on it, but I'd say on average I use it about 2 hours/day virtually every day. The picture still looks good to me, but I'm wondering if I were to replace the bulb if the picture would suddenly improve significantly. On the other hand, I keep thinking, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
dla26 is offline  
post #8734 of 8749 Old 04-24-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post

Interesting. I'm completely in the minority in that I've been using the same bulb on my RS1 since I got it used in 2008 or 2009. I'll have to check how many hours are on it, but I'd say on average I use it about 2 hours/day virtually every day. The picture still looks good to me, but I'm wondering if I were to replace the bulb if the picture would suddenly improve significantly. On the other hand, I keep thinking, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would not let the lamp manufacturer's know. They will send someone over to take a hammer to your lamp, since it should have died a while ago. smile.gif RS1 was a great projector in it's time. Many people are still running them. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #8735 of 8749 Old 04-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Lylepdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Original RS1 power buy owner. This has been a great projector value after years of upgrade-itis.

I was interested in the Darby comment. What is it and how does it help the RS1? (I'm sure I can search for it but a simple reply would be appreciated smile.gif )

Thank you

Don't lose sight of the Big Picture
Lylepdx is offline  
post #8736 of 8749 Old 04-24-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lylepdx View Post

Original RS1 power buy owner. This has been a great projector value after years of upgrade-itis.

I was interested in the Darby comment. What is it and how does it help the RS1? (I'm sure I can search for it but a simple reply would be appreciated smile.gif )

Thank you

The Darbee is a video image processor. It improves the sharpness and contrast of the image. It really works and would be a good addition to an RS1. Call us if you would like to ask questions or order. I have been using one for nearly 2.5 years.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #8737 of 8749 Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
chriscic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My $150 YA purchase of an OSRAM replacement bulb has turned out to be pretty much a failure. 660 hours and it's really dim now on high mode. I guess it's not exactly a terrible failure though given that it was less than half the price of an OEM bulb, the last of which for me lasted >2000 hours.

I see Newegg is selling what is advertised as an OEM JVC bulb for $259. Think I'll go that route next.

Still love my RS1 See no reason to upgrade until 4k.
chriscic is offline  
post #8738 of 8749 Old 05-13-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic View Post

My $150 YA purchase of an OSRAM replacement bulb has turned out to be pretty much a failure. 660 hours and it's really dim now on high mode. I guess it's not exactly a terrible failure though given that it was less than half the price of an OEM bulb, the last of which for me lasted >2000 hours.

I see Newegg is selling what is advertised as an OEM JVC bulb for $259. Think I'll go that route next.

Still love my RS1 See no reason to upgrade until 4k.

What is the "rated hours" on the bulb you bought that you say was half the price of the OEM bulb?

I know going back 40 years, when it came to xenon bulbs, Osram was THE BULB for theatres, the rest were all junk! However, the Osram xenon bulbs today appear no better than any other brand. I don't have enough experience to comment on the type bulbs used in the JVC D'ILA projectors.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #8739 of 8749 Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
chriscic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Aurora, IL, USA
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't believe the non-JVC bulbs even come with a rated hours quote. Probably a good reason for that. On the Planetbulb website where I bought my OSRAN, JVC original rated at 2000, nothing listed for OSRAM and Philips replacements
chriscic is offline  
post #8740 of 8749 Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic View Post

I don't believe the non-JVC bulbs even come with a rated hours quote. Probably a good reason for that. On the Planetbulb website where I bought my OSRAN, JVC original rated at 2000, nothing listed for OSRAM and Philips replacements

The Osram bulbs definitely have a rated hour figure. You can probably email Osram and get the answer. What is probably MORE interesting is what the Luman output is over the "claimed" rated life.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #8741 of 8749 Old 05-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
firebrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: des moines iowa
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Still on my first bulb on my fpj1. Great projector.
firebrick is offline  
post #8742 of 8749 Old 05-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Member
 
CorvetteC5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

I've probably gone through 10 bulbs on my RS1. About 2 bulbs a year. Well over 14k hours on it and still works great. I noticed by running the projector in high altitude mode I never have a bulb flicker on me. They seem to last longer and stay bright longer as well.

BUT after changing the bulb so many times and having my fair share of them blowing up, I'd like to try converting it to a LED light source for shits and giggles. Anyone know which wire would allow me to trick the circuit board into thinking that the bulb is fine and then boot up properly? I might need to add a resistor so it tricks the computer into thinking it has a regular working bulb in the path. The resistor would create the same voltage reading as a regular working bulb.

I'm thinking if I can get it to run without a bulb, I can insert an LED with an external power supply. I know it's possible with other projectors as I've seen people do it on youtube with crappy old projectors. I'm curious what kind of light output the RS1 would yield because it has an interesting prism that seems optimized opposed to the ones i've seen converted.

Buttabean, any progress on this lamp substitute? An LED light source is one of my criteria for the projector that will replace my RS-1, and if I had the know how to help you with this then I would. rolleyes.gif What are you finding for a bright LED light source? Anything promising?
CorvetteC5 is offline  
post #8743 of 8749 Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Buttabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post

Buttabean, any progress on this lamp substitute? An LED light source is one of my criteria for the projector that will replace my RS-1, and if I had the know how to help you with this then I would. rolleyes.gif What are you finding for a bright LED light source? Anything promising?

I've been too busy to work on it. Also my helper(brother) broke his foot so i've put it on hold for a few weeks.

Joe.T
Buttabean is online now  
post #8744 of 8749 Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Newbie
 
sambou812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 43324
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talking jvc dla-rs1x parts

i don't know why but i just bought an dla-rs1x i didn't need anymore projectors .
i demo'd one once but ended up going for the Mitsubishi's because of cost
i found one cheap with 640 hours on the projector it self still has the original bulb it came with.
well this one has a problem according to the seller its not accepting input so now i'm on the parts hunt,i would like to start with an input board or maybe a parts machine?
if you have anything parts wise drop me a pm
thanks
sambou812 is offline  
post #8745 of 8749 Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Larry J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscic View Post
My $150 YA purchase of an OSRAM replacement bulb has turned out to be pretty much a failure. 660 hours and it's really dim now on high mode. I guess it's not exactly a terrible failure though given that it was less than half the price of an OEM bulb, the last of which for me lasted >2000 hours.

I see Newegg is selling what is advertised as an OEM JVC bulb for $259. Think I'll go that route next.

Still love my RS1 See no reason to upgrade until 4k.
The Philips Version appears to hold up better than Osram in the RS1 & 2. I don't know why since both companies are usually better than the other's. Its a little harder to find and cost more, especially one that's not fake. It is brighter than the original. Iwasaki (HSCR) made the original JVC, no idea if they still do or not.


It's rare for either one to list hours on just the bulb itself but if they did I'm sure it would be at least equal to the Iwasaki.
Larry J is offline  
post #8746 of 8749 Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 AM
Newbie
 
sambou812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 43324
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J View Post
The Philips Version appears to hold up better than Osram in the RS1 & 2. I don't know why since both companies are usually better than the other's. Its a little harder to find and cost more, especially one that's not fake. It is brighter than the original. Iwasaki (HSCR) made the original JVC, no idea if they still do or not.


It's rare for either one to list hours on just the bulb itself but if they did I'm sure it would be at least equal to the Iwasaki.
this is the cheapest price i have found on an original bulb.
http://shop.avscience.com/JVC-BHL500...amp_p_353.html

if you have the bulb specs you can find new old stock iwasaki lamp cores at this website.
https://www.interlight.biz/Search.int
sambou812 is offline  
post #8747 of 8749 Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Newbie
 
sambou812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 43324
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambou812 View Post
this is the cheapest price i have found on an original bulb.
http://shop.avscience.com/JVC-BHL500...amp_p_353.html

if you have the bulb specs you can find new old stock iwasaki lamp cores at this website.
https://www.interlight.biz/Search.int
i like to look at the ballast to see what its capability's are ac/dc pvip uhp nsh ect then get physical measurements of the stock lamp and go from there .
sambou812 is offline  
post #8748 of 8749 Old 07-05-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nebrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: omaha,NE,USA
Posts: 1,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
1100 hours on my JVC bulb purchased from AVS and it just started flickering on me tonight. I switched to high lamp mode and the flicker goes away but the fan noise is brutal on high. Is the flickering a sign of the end of bulb life? I was hoping to get another 900 hours on this thing.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
nebrunner is online now  
post #8749 of 8749 Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 AM
frg
Member
 
frg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No panic, it is well known that this bulb starts flickering for an hour or two a few times during its life. This does not affect its total lifetime.

Envoyé de mon LT26i en utilisant Tapatalk
frg is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off