JVC DLA-RS1 Owner's Thread - Page 294 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #8791 of 8799 Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My problem is an overall yellow, not just a particular part of the picture. At first I thought it was just the director using yellow or sepia filters during filming for artistic effect. However, after seeing the same movie in a different venue, I see it is just my projector. I hope you are right about the new bulb helping the problem. Thanks for the information on your findings so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 8799 Old 03-31-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post
Hi there, I purchased a JVC RS1 this week for pretty cheap price. The picture looks impressive except I noticed the right lower side of the screen has a yellow tinge to it. I watched a couple movies at first with the projector set up on a stand and didn't notice, but maybe it was there then. I celing mounted it and I noticed the yellow tinge today after setting it up. I cleaned the prism and that brightened the picture but didnt fix the yellow tinge. The bulb is a OEM Phillips with 1038 hours.

Also the picture flickered at first but I set it to high and the flicker stopped. My question is can the bulb cause the yellow tinge or maybe something more serious?

Thanks for any help.
My guess is the panels are starting to get a little crispy due to heat and age.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8793 of 8799 Old 04-02-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Regarding yellowing images...

Older LCD projectors would have this problem when the projectors were run in high power mode. I think the higher heat levels would discolor the LCD panels. We have a lot of older Sony LCD projectors at work and the image all turn yellow over time because we run always them in high power mode. The ones in light controlled rooms and run in low power modes seem to be lasting longer.

I have an old RS-1 and I have never used the high power mode. So far (knock on wood) the image looks fine. I have over 3,000 hours and am on my fourth lamp. I was real lucky. The image is sharp in all areas and I do not have any vignetting (darkened corners).

A little hint for others. If your lamp starts to flicker, remove the lamp and clean the contacts on the lamp assembly and the projector. This will usually fix the problem. But always change the bulb when recommended. You do not want to have a bulb explode in the projector. This is rare but it does happen.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8794 of 8799 Old 04-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Todd68 you are not alone...
I have a JVC HD1 (the european twin of the RS1)
I have changed two week agon the bulb with a new Osram P-VIP200/1.0 P21.5
I have bought a new colorimeter X-Rite i1 Pro because my old Eye One Display II gave me wrong result..
I learn how to autocalibrate with my laptop and ArgyllCMS+MadVR...
The result in HCFR are in the following pictures....
In 7 years i have never had such a beautiful image..
This are the result of the ArgyllCMS software testing 493 points in the RGB colour space..
average dE = 0,52
Max dE= 2,59

I think too that the problem of your JVC RS1 could be in the miscolour of the some area of LCD due to high temperature...

m64
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luminance.png
Views:	18
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	653817   Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB Level.png
Views:	19
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	653825   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIE Diagram.png
Views:	18
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	653833  

------------------------------------------------
Projector: JVC DLA-HD1 Screen: AdeoScreen Plano 113" 16:9 VideoProcessor: Crystalio II VPS 3800 PreAmpli: Rotel RSP-1066 Final: Rotel RMB-1075 BluRay: Samsung BDP-1400
Satellite: VU+Uno MediaPlayer: PopCornHour A410 AudioPlayer: Sonos Connect Dish: Gibertini OP 150S
------------------------------------------------

Last edited by master64; 04-07-2015 at 03:36 PM.
post #8795 of 8799 Old 04-20-2015, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by master64 View Post
@Todd68 you are not alone...
I have a JVC HD1 (the european twin of the RS1)
I have changed two week agon the bulb with a new Osram P-VIP200/1.0 P21.5
I have bought a new colorimeter X-Rite i1 Pro because my old Eye One Display II gave me wrong result..
I learn how to autocalibrate with my laptop and ArgyllCMS+MadVR...
The result in HCFR are in the following pictures....
In 7 years i have never had such a beautiful image..
This are the result of the ArgyllCMS software testing 493 points in the RGB colour space..
average dE = 0,52
Max dE= 2,59

I think too that the problem of your JVC RS1 could be in the miscolour of the some area of LCD due to high temperature...

m64
Glad you got yours looking great. I bought a second RS1 from ebay after the seller assured me there wasn't any issues. This one looked great except it had red blobs on the center area of the screen, too bad to live with. I returned that one and got my money back.

I gave up on used and bought a new JVC. I have my other JVC RS1 on eBay if someone needs it for parts. The starting bid is $150.00 includes a new lamp assembly with original Phillips lamp.
post #8796 of 8799 Old 04-21-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
can you show me any pictures of the damaged image
post #8797 of 8799 Old 04-21-2015, 10:09 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by boontok View Post
I bought a JVC DLA-RS1 from someone on Craigslist this weekend. Unfortunately it is broken and the guy won't give me my money back.

I was wondering if anyone has one of these laying around that is broken that I could buy for cheap to fix mine up? What's wrong with it is that only the composite input is working on the video board... no HDMI or component. I'm assuming that I just need to replace the video processing board, but who know?

Please help if you can... otherwise I'm out $550.

Ouch sorry to hear that, I see that projectors really don't hold up their value! Five years ago it was $7,000
post #8798 of 8799 Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
My guess is the panels are starting to get a little crispy due to heat and age.
How long do they last in number of hours?

I have an RS2 that I bought in December 2007 and it is still working fine. I am only on my third lamp so maybe 6,000 hours on it. It is in my kids mini cinema.
- http://www.projectorcentral.com/jvc_..._projector.htm

I replaced it in 2009 with the RS-35U and am on my forth lamp!
- http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-RS35U.htm
post #8799 of 8799 Old 04-21-2015, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 111
My RS-1 has around 3,000 hours... I have not had any issues so far. No discoloring. I use it conservatively, I do not "pump" the image up or anything. I love the projector. It is supposed to have native contrast about 15,000:1 when calibrated to ISF levels. The projector has excellent contrast, better than 95% of other projectors out there but time has moved on.

My friend has the $10,000 TOTL JVC. With the dynamic iris in use, the projector is supposed to have a contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1.

When I look at it in action, the blacks are a revelation, they are magnitudes better than my RS-1. I think the cheaper 4910 model was tested at 420,000:1 with the iris on... With the e-shift, the picture has better "detail" than the older 1080P models. Once the next gen models that support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, I will be moving on...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page