JVC DLA-RS1 Owner's Thread - Page 300 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #8971 of 8996 Old 01-27-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
I'm on my original bulb since 2007. I don't recall how many hours are on it, but should I consider replacing it or just wait til it dies? I have a post from a year and a half ago where I was at 1500 hours. I worry that bulbs may be hard to come by if I wait much longer.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8972 of 8996 Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
On the topic of this Osram replacement bulb... Since I had another used bulb housing from my RS1, I ordered another bulb from BulbAmerica and connected it up so that some day in the future I'll have another spare. I figure if I sell the projector, it would be a good bonus for the person buying it. I was impressed with BulbAmerica. I even called them up because there were two listings in their inventory for this bulb and they helped me to find the cheaper version. (Between $80 and $90.) My experiences with them were very good.

I have about 50 hours on the new bulb already... it's sparked a new interest in hunkering down and watching movies again! No noticeable drop in brightness.
-Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by marswill View Post
Replaced a Philips AM0005114 bulb with less than 1300 hours with an Osram 69471 purchased from BulbAmerica. The difference was like day and night. My JVC RS1 projector image is MUCH brighter and seems to be the same quality image as when the projector was new. In addition, I'm very happy with my BulbAmerica order. Communications was good and the bulb was shipped promptly.
post #8973 of 8996 Old 01-29-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
I'm on my original bulb since 2007. I don't recall how many hours are on it, but should I consider replacing it or just wait til it dies? I have a post from a year and a half ago where I was at 1500 hours. I worry that bulbs may be hard to come by if I wait much longer.
Putting a new bulb in it will make it POP again. Although we tend to ignore the slow dimming with age, I notice the changes... and I have a 100% light controlled theater room. However, I honestly never made it past 800 hours without getting frustrated at the darker image. (I'm casting the image through a Prismasonic anamorphic lens onto a 10 foot wide screen. And, my projector is a good distance behind me, so I'm pushing it.)

I think you should get the new bulb! You'll thank yourself!
-Pete

post #8974 of 8996 Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
We sound like we have the same setup! I have the same size screen and same lens! Can you save me some reading? What bulb are you using? I'd like a direct swap out vs the retrofit version.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #8975 of 8996 Old 01-31-2017, 11:49 AM

Drunk Penguin,
Just filter on my recent posts and you'll see the link to the bulb... but I believe BulbAmerica is sold out.
And, it's not a direct swap. You have to take the old bulb out of the enclosure, snip the wires, slip the new bulb into the enclosure and then reconnect the wires.

The first time I did this it took me an hour to find the necessary screws. The second time it took me five minutes.

-Pete
post #8976 of 8996 Old 01-31-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
We sound like we have the same setup! I have the same size screen and same lens! Can you save me some reading? What bulb are you using? I'd like a direct swap out vs the retrofit version.
By the way, have you seen the price of anamorphic lenses recently?! YIKES!

And if I may go off topic for a bit: While my bulb was getting dim, I decided I ought to blow-out any dust in my Prismasonic lens. So, I swung it out of the way and decided I'd try to implement 2.35:1 by "zooming" for a while. (The age-old "Zoom VS Lens" debate.) I have to say that sure enough, zooming, by opening your lens, gives just as bright of a picture as turning on all those extra pixels. But, I got INCREDIBLY frustrated at not seeing on screen menus! Thus, I can say now (after about 10 years of using both methods) that the Lens method wins due to ease of use... but not really image quality. When I get a 4K projector I'll be back to square one with this debate! Now, back on topic.

-Pete
post #8977 of 8996 Old 01-31-2017, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got a notice BulbAmerica has them back in stock, however the price went up to $94. I just bought on on amazon for $88.. Slow shipping.. its en route.
post #8978 of 8996 Old 02-04-2017, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I got my Osram bulb from Bulbs of America. I took apart an old case and took out the old bulb. I then soldered the new one in. Then installed it. But, when I turned thw RS1 on the lamp doesn't light. The PJ makes a buzzing sound that seems to come from the front of the PJ on the lamp side. It does that three times, then the status and warning lights go solid red and the lamp light flashes amber. With the old bulb, the lamp would light but after anout 5-10 min of watching something, the lamp would go dark and the same warning lights would illuminate. What do you think is going on?

Edit: nvmd I wired it wrong. I've been watching the last 45 minutes and the PJ hasn't turned off .

Sent from my T-Mobile device using Tapatalk

Krister

Last edited by krholmberg; 02-04-2017 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Problem solved
post #8979 of 8996 Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The lamp in my RS1 just went out (right before the Super Bowl no less...great timing).

I put in the replacement bulb. Everything worked fine for about 20 minutes, then everything went black. No lights at all on the PJ.

I thought maybe the replacement bulb just blew out. I had an old JVC lamp with many hours on it that I kept. I put that in...exact same thing. P ran fine for 20 minutes, then everything just went dark, again, no lights on the PJ. Unplugged cord, still nothing.

It almost seems like it's an overheating issue and it's shutting down, but not sure.

Any ideas?
post #8980 of 8996 Old 02-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can't help you with the shutdown problem on your RS-1 Rob but I can congratulate you on running this projector for almost 10 years!!!
Since you are the thread starter I assume you got one at or around the release date way back in 2007.

I myself have been running the RS-1 for almost the same time and now on my 3rd bulb I've been wondering if it's time to change.
Went to take a look at a demo DILA-X750R and it was very impressive on a huge 2.35:1 screen but it was running a 4K UHD disk in high lamp mode.

Went home and took a look at our aging RS-1 and was happy with what I saw. I only have a small 106" diag 16:9 screen and the image still looked half decent for something with specs that you would laugh at now...

I just hope my RS-1 can hold out till a true 4K from JVC comes out at a realistic price.
post #8981 of 8996 Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post
The lamp in my RS1 just went out (right before the Super Bowl no less...great timing).

I put in the replacement bulb. Everything worked fine for about 20 minutes, then everything went black. No lights at all on the PJ.

I thought maybe the replacement bulb just blew out. I had an old JVC lamp with many hours on it that I kept. I put that in...exact same thing. P ran fine for 20 minutes, then everything just went dark, again, no lights on the PJ. Unplugged cord, still nothing.

It almost seems like it's an overheating issue and it's shutting down, but not sure.

Any ideas?
The only other thing the manual suggests is that there may be airflow blockage with the filter. Perhaps there is some built up dust on the filter or the fan inlet. Is the fan still working well?
I have just retired my RS1 after many enjoyable years. I had just replaced the bulb with an Osram bulb and this unit still shows a pretty good picture.
Hopefully you can get this resolved and continue to enjoy it for many more years.
post #8982 of 8996 Old 02-08-2017, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
Can't help you with the shutdown problem on your RS-1 Rob but I can congratulate you on running this projector for almost 10 years!!!
Since you are the thread starter I assume you got one at or around the release date way back in 2007.

I myself have been running the RS-1 for almost the same time and now on my 3rd bulb I've been wondering if it's time to change.
Went to take a look at a demo DILA-X750R and it was very impressive on a huge 2.35:1 screen but it was running a 4K UHD disk in high lamp mode.

Went home and took a look at our aging RS-1 and was happy with what I saw. I only have a small 106" diag 16:9 screen and the image still looked half decent for something with specs that you would laugh at now...

I just hope my RS-1 can hold out till a true 4K from JVC comes out at a realistic price.
Thanks Eric.

Yes, it's been almost 10 years that I've been running my RS1. So if it is going out I can't complain too much. That said, the timing is pretty bad since I just bought a new vehicle, as well as the fact that I too was wanting to wait to upgrade when JVC comes out with a true 4k machine.

My RS1 was still putting out a very nice looking picture, so I had never felt a real strong need to upgrade. True 4k would get me to do it, once they come down a bit in price.

The RS1 really was a breakthrough projector when it was released.
post #8983 of 8996 Old 02-08-2017, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophite View Post
The only other thing the manual suggests is that there may be airflow blockage with the filter. Perhaps there is some built up dust on the filter or the fan inlet. Is the fan still working well?
I have just retired my RS1 after many enjoyable years. I had just replaced the bulb with an Osram bulb and this unit still shows a pretty good picture.
Hopefully you can get this resolved and continue to enjoy it for many more years.
I did clean the filter when I put the new bulb in.

I remember that the fan was starting to get fairly loud before the bulb went out. After cleaning the filter and putting the new bulb in I noticed that the fan was much quieter. I checked and I did feel hot air coming out of the front of the projector.

One other thing that I noticed when I went into the menu, the setting that lets you choose between normal and high lamp mode was blocked out, so I could not go into that part of the menu to change the lamp mode between normal and high.

Why would it do that?
post #8984 of 8996 Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I did clean the filter when I put the new bulb in.

I remember that the fan was starting to get fairly loud before the bulb went out. After cleaning the filter and putting the new bulb in I noticed that the fan was much quieter. I checked and I did feel hot air coming out of the front of the projector.

One other thing that I noticed when I went into the menu, the setting that lets you choose between normal and high lamp mode was blocked out, so I could not go into that part of the menu to change the lamp mode between normal and high.

Why would it do that?
The fan selection is blocked out for i think 90 seconds or so on power up and each time you select the new mode. You can get out of the menu and get back in after a few minutes to change it.
That did have me confused the first time it happened to me
post #8985 of 8996 Old 02-09-2017, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Last night I put the PJ in "High Altitude" mode with the idea in mind that this was an overheating issue. I could clearly hear the fan increase in speed when I put it in High Altitude mode.

Sadly it didn't help.

Everything was going fine for about 45 minutes, then everything shut down again. It is almost like I could put a stop watch to it. 45 minutes of running, then it shuts down. The only difference is that this time I did have two red light on on the PJ, including the Warning light. Previously I would have no lights at all for awhile.

Fan was running the whole time. I'm starting to think it may not be an overheating issue.
post #8986 of 8996 Old 02-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Sounds like some thermal protection circuit shutting the projector down.
Are you sure all of the cooling fans are running?
post #8987 of 8996 Old 02-09-2017, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
Sounds like some thermal protection circuit shutting the projector down.
Are you sure all of the cooling fans are running?
Yep, like I said, I could hear the fan speed increase when I turned on the high altitude mode. Fan was still running even after the PJ shut down.

Running out of options. Is there some place I can take this for diagnosis and possible repair?
post #8988 of 8996 Old 02-09-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Yep, like I said, I could hear the fan speed increase when I turned on the high altitude mode. Fan was still running even after the PJ shut down.

Running out of options. Is there some place I can take this for diagnosis and possible repair?
There are a couple of fans in this unit. But see the Thermo sensor image(1st one), a possible clue here.

See here: http://cineforhome.com/reviews/proje...D1/HD1Test.htm

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #8989 of 8996 Old 02-13-2017, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rob,
Instead of paying for professional repair, the money may be better spent on a different brand lamp. Since the shutdown problem started after its installation.

All other suggestions that come to mind you have tried. It is worth noting that changing to high altitude mode did lengthen the time of operation of your RS-1 from 20 minutes to 45. So it does appear to be an overheating problem with that lamp.

Good Luck!
post #8990 of 8996 Old 02-13-2017, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5 View Post
Rob,
Instead of paying for professional repair, the money may be better spent on a different brand lamp. Since the shutdown problem started after its installation.

All other suggestions that come to mind you have tried. It is worth noting that changing to high altitude mode did lengthen the time of operation of your RS-1 from 20 minutes to 45. So it does appear to be an overheating problem with that lamp.

Good Luck!
I failed to mention a few things.

First, in hindsight, I was too quick to conclude that the lamp went out and needed replacement in the first place. In other words, the pj shut down and the warning indicator light went on, and I immediately assumed that it meant that the bulb was out. So I replaced it. I believe that the bulb did not go out, so the symptom/problem that I have was there before I changed the bulb.

In addition, when I first had the problem after replacing the bulb, I thought the bulb had burnt out, so I replaced the new bulb with the original JVC bulb that I have kept on hand just for such possible occasions as this. It still shuts down, regardless of which bulb I have in there.
post #8991 of 8996 Old 02-17-2017, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replacement lamp

Hello,

I search a new lamp for my RS1/HD1 and i see for the 1st time new housing in metal ??

Anybody allready tested them ?

Could be that important for heat dissipation ?

JVC DLA-RS1, écran DaLite PermWall 235cm (106"), Colonnes Jamo 707i Sub Jamo SW 410E Surround 300 Jamo Central Jamo 160, Rear jamo Cornet, DVD Sony 7700 Ampli Yamaha DSP-Z9, TVIX HD 6500

Last edited by t7gc7; 02-17-2017 at 06:51 AM.
post #8992 of 8996 Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Nobody ? I'm the last one with a RS1/HD1 on the market for replacement lamp ?

Is that a cheap housing or something for dissipate the heat ?

JVC DLA-RS1, écran DaLite PermWall 235cm (106"), Colonnes Jamo 707i Sub Jamo SW 410E Surround 300 Jamo Central Jamo 160, Rear jamo Cornet, DVD Sony 7700 Ampli Yamaha DSP-Z9, TVIX HD 6500
post #8993 of 8996 Old Today, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First I have heard of a metal housing for the lamp, but it seems like a good idea. May prevent the clouding of the lens which occurs from the plastic housing outgassing and drying out. If the metal is painted then clouding could still happen. $0.02

Where do you find it? What brand bulb is included?
post #8994 of 8996 Old Today, 06:36 AM

I don't really know which kind of bulb it is. I just see this picture on the net. I will make further investigation. Good question if the metal is paint but i don't think so, picture is not really good quality but for me it's not paint.

post #8995 of 8996 Old Today, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Took my RS1 in to a local repair shop. Hoping for the best.
post #8996 of 8996 Old Today, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Like many of you, my RS1 is now 10 years old. I have run into an issue & would like to know if anyone else has experienced it. My last lamp literally blew out at about 800 hours. It had started to dim slightly so I ordered a new bulb b4 it blew. I immediately replaced the lamp and fired up the RS1. The new lamp worked fine displaying a beautiful bright picture. However, there was an immediately noticeable burning smell. I assumed it was residue from the lamp blowing out until it continued for several days of use. So I am assuming when the lamp blew, it may have damaged the projector. Rather then get it repaired prematurely, I'll wait to see if anything happens, since repair costs may just push me into buying a new projector. Since it is still operating fine, i want to continue to use it, but have some concern about a fire hazard. Has anyone experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector