JVC DLA-RS1 Owner's Thread - Page 303 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #9061 of 9065 Old 09-16-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Glad to see I'm not the only one still using one

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 9065 Old 09-21-2017, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Following up on replacing a broken fan--details in JVC DLA-RS1 Owner's Thread

The $15 fan I used (Delta FFB0912HHE-R00) is an exact drop-in replacement, simply connect all 3 wires. I also added a new connector (shown in picture) because I didn't want to cut and solder wires if I ever try different fans. Paid $6 for a pack of ten 3-pin "JST SM" connector sets (10 male & female housings + 30 pin & socket crimp terminals). Need to use forceps or really long needle nose pliers to unlatch the connector.

New Delta fan moves a little more air and has slightly more noise/higher pitch than Nidec fan. I run in normal/low-altitude mode and don't think I will notice the difference.

EDIT: This fan has more air noise than the Nidec, but similar or less vibration noise.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rs1-fans.jpg (199.0 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by dhnjp1; 10-03-2017 at 12:56 PM.
post #9063 of 9065 Old 09-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post
New Delta fan moves a little more air and has slightly more noise/higher pitch than Nidec fan. I run in normal/low-altitude mode and don't think I will notice the difference.
After using this Delta fan for a few hours, I now notice it has an annoying droning sound in quiet scenes. That's what's hard about picking the right fan: you never know how it will sound in the case until you try it.

EDIT: The Delta fan didn't cause the droning sound (see post below). It has more airflow noise but similar or less vibration noise.

I took apart my Nidec fan to see what failed and was surprised it wasn't the bearings. It was a small piece of glue or resin that broke off and got jammed between the rotor and stator (debris in picture). Unfortunately, the end shield on one bearing was damaged during disassembly.

Since I can buy 10 bearings cheaper than 1 fan I decided not to waste any more money or time trying new fans and just rebuilt my Nidec with new bearings. And now I have enough bearings to get 250,000 hours out of this fan!

If anyone else is hardcore enough to try it, the bearings are 693ZZ (3x8x4mm) motor grade (ABEC 5 or better). Common size used in most fans and quadcopter motors--large hobby shops have them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nidec-internal.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	2289650  

Last edited by dhnjp1; 10-03-2017 at 01:17 PM.

post #9064 of 9065 Old 10-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Oh boy, the fan saga continues...

I could still hear the droning noise even with the rebuilt Nidec fan installed, so that points to one of the other fans. I spent 2 hours disassembling half the projector to remove all 4 fans for cleaning and testing. Surprisingly the dirtiest fan was the large squirrel cage fan that blows filtered air into the optical block.

All 4 fans tested fine on the bench, but the large squirrel cage fan had a faint crackling sound. I replaced both bearings in the fan (same as in post above), but it still makes the same noise. Since it's not mechanical, it could be failing electronics or an intermittent short in a coil winding. I couldn't find any markings to identify the fan--closest was the circuit board inside was labeled Mitsumi. Original JVC part number QAR0446-001 is replaced by QAR0526-001 and costs about $130 with shipping. I'll just use the original until it fails completely.

Long story short, I reassembled everything but put the Delta fan back in (I use an OSRAM bulb that runs hotter and want the extra airflow for more margin). Now there is no more droning sound or any type of vibration noise--just airflow noise. Reseating all the fans must have eliminated the vibration.
post #9065 of 9065 Old 10-04-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post
Long story short, I reassembled everything but put the Delta fan back in (I use an OSRAM bulb that runs hotter and want the extra airflow for more margin). Now there is no more droning sound or any type of vibration noise--just airflow noise. Reseating all the fans must have eliminated the vibration.
AKA 'The Magic Touch'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector , w1070

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page