JVC DLA-RS1 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With the highly anticipated JVC RS1 being received by AVS members as soon as today and tomorrow, I thought it was time to re-start the RS1 Owner's Thread from scratch.

This will be the thread where owners can post their questions, set up recommendations, tweaks, settings, problem solving, mounting the projector, and other issues relating to the RS1.

I will edit the first post (this post) to add information regarding settings, tweaks, (FAQ's) etc as warranted. If you would like to make a specific recommendation for information to be posted in the first post, you can make the request in this thread or send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr View Post

... here are a couple of tips for setting up your system when the RS-1's start to be delivered.

#1 When sending HD digital signals (720p, 1080i, 1080p) to the RS-1, i.e. using its HDMI inputs, use digital YCbCr signals and not digital RGB signals (i.e. from a DVI output) to avoid color matrix conversion errors (mixed Rec 601/Rec 709 matrices).

#2 When sending SD analog signals (480i/p, 576i/p) to the RS-1, use YPbPr signals and not RGB signals to avoid color matrix conversion errors (mixed Rec 709/Rec 601 matrices).

#3 Be sure to adjust the Color control with test patterns when using analog YPbPr signals to avoid over saturation.

I've informed JVC of these issues and they are working to correct them.

Note that the menu changes to YPbPr are made to the source component, not the
RS1.

What are the Differences Between The Natural Mode, Cinema Mode, and Dynamic Mode?

The Natural mode uses the Middle color temperature, which is close to D65 out of the box. The Cinema mode uses the Low color temperature. (posted by gregr)

"Cinema" = Colour Temp @ "low", Gamma @ "A", Colour @"-5"

"Natural" = Colour Temp @ "middle", Gamma @ "Normal", Colour @ "0"

"Dynamic" = Colour Temp @ "high", Gamma" @ "C", Colour @ "+10", Contrast @ "+5", Brightness @ "-5", Sharpness @ "+5" (posted by Dazzerxxx)

Mounting Distance and Offset

The DLA-RS1 has a 80% vertical and 34% horizontal shift lens. This means that the RS1 can be mounted as much as 30% of the screen height above (or below) the screen. So, if you have a 5 foot tall screen, the RS1 lens center could be mounted 1.5 feet above or below the screen.

The 34% horizontal shift means you can shift 34% of the image width from side to side. So if you have a 100" wide screen, the projector could be mounted off center by as much as 34 inches. However, this will be limited depending on how much of the vertical shift is being used, and vice versa.

The manual zoom lens has a range of 1.4:1 ∼ 2.8:1. Multiply this number by the screen width to determine how far from the screen the projector can be mounted. If your screen is 100" WIDE, you could mount the RS1 between 140 inches and 280 inches from the screen.

How does the RS1/HD1 display 1080p24 and 1080i60 signals?

The HD1/RS1 frame doubles 1080p24 to 1080p48 and this is displayed internally at 96Hz. 1080i60 is deinterlaced to 1080p60 and displayed internally (with 3:2 progressive frame cadence) at 120Hz. (posted by MikeSRC)

The RS1 does accept a 1080p24 signal via HDMI.

Since the RS-1 has the Gennum chip, will it do Vertical Stretch for a CIH setup?

No, and there are currently no firm plans from JVC indicating that this will occur in the future via firmware upgrade.

Links To RS1/HD1 Reviews:

Ultimate A/V First Look (Thomas J. Norton)

Ultimate A/V Full Review (Thomas J. Norton)

Cine4Home Review

Cine4Home Full Production Review (English)

Projectorreviews.com (Art Feierman)

Projector Central Review (Evan Powell)

AVS Review (Jason Turk)

Greg Rogers/Widescreen Review (Subscription Required)

AVS Q&A with Greg Rogers Re RS1 Review

HDTV Expert (Peter Putman)

Home Theater Spot (David Vaughn)

Home Theater Forum (Robert A. Fowkes)

What Mounts Will Work with the RS1/HD1?

The Chief RPA-184 and Chief RPM-184 both work. The PRM has a few more adjustments than the RPA. The RPU is also reported to work.

Chief RPA-184 Mount

Contact AVS for the best pricing on Chief mounts.

I Hear the Colors are Over-saturated. Can This Be Completely Corrected Using The Internal Adjustments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

There is no way to correct for the wider than rec. 709 color gamut for the JVC with the internal adjustments. All that the internal color control does is to change the lightness of the color so that colors are less vivid. The bias controls are used to adjust the relative balance of R,G and B to achieve the desired white point (D65 for example). Imho, though the oversaturation issue is being blown out of proportion. The degree of oversaturation on the JVC isn't that much compared to most other display devices being sold today that also don't have CMS, it's certainly no worse than the Ruby or Pearl for example. I think part of the problem may be that the default color setting for analog inputs is too high on the JVC and people haven't adjusted them down and they are confusing this easily correctable problem with oversaturated primaries. These are two different issues.

How Do I Know What Setting To Use for HDMI Levels (Standard vs. Enhanced)?

It is important that you set the RS1's HDMI Level to Standard or Enhanced according to your source. Normally with video such as from your STB or HD DVD player the Standard setting for HDMI would be the right choice; with Enhanced the right choice when feeding the RS1 from a PC or most external processors such as a Lumagen.

Here is a quick test you can do to determine if you have chosen the right source for your HDMI Level, With your RS1 contrast and brightness set at 0 and HDMI Level set to Standard, display a 0 IRE pattern or fade-to-black scene from a movie. Then switch the HDMI Level on the RS1 to Enhanced. If the Standard setting is indeed the correct one, you should see the black level rise significantly when switching to Enhanced. If not then enhanced is probably the correct setting. (posted by lovingdvd).

Are There Any Tips For Calibrating the RS1/HD1?

See the JVC RS1/HD1 Calibration Thread located HERE.

How Do I Get Into The RS1's "Service Menu"?

On the RS1's remote control, enter "up, down, right, left, enter". This needs to be done relatively quickly (the whole sequence should take about 2 or 3 seconds).

Is It Possible To Upgrade the Firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

I requested the JVC Loader and firmware from MR.D and told him that I would host it so that others could get it without swamping him with request.
Well here it is:
JVC HD-1/RS-1 061 Firmware upgrade
UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Proud RS-1 Owner
RayJr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
Happy to report that I've got a beautiful machine sitting in my living room. It will have to wait for the weekend to get installed. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how to reduce the file size on my camera. I can't wait.
post #3 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Brann View Post

Happy to report that I've got a beautiful machine sitting in my living room. It will have to wait for the weekend to get installed....I've got one of those stupid day jobs....! I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how to reduce the file size on my camera. I can't wait.

And a BIG congratulations to the first AVS member in the U.S. to report receipt of the RS1 (Jason doesn't count )

Looking forward to your comments Matt. No sleep for you tonight!
post #4 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

And a BIG congratulations to the first AVS member in the U.S. to report receipt of the RS1 (Jason doesn't count )

Looking forward to your comments Matt. No sleep for you tonight!

thanks Rob.

Here are some of the first pictures.....it looks like my unit was indeed put through a QC here in the US before it landed at my door step.
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Why are we breaking with tradition. The first owner to post pics gets to create the "Official Owners' Thread"

Matt, would you do the honers and create the Official RS1 Owners' Thread?
post #6 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Why are we breaking with tradition. The first owner to post pics gets to create the "Official Owners' Thread"

I think the issue is that Rob is going to take ownership of the thread and compile all the information and make it readily visible so people won't have to read through a few hundred pages to find the information they need.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #7 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

He did start one but "you know who"(if you have been paying attention lately) deleted it.
So much for tradition.
post #8 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 PM

I asked for my thread to be taken down. I started it, but then realized that as I was typing, Rob had already started a new owners thread. It doesn't do anyone any good to have multiple owner's threads floating around, especially when we already have 1000's of other RS1 threads on the board. Rob, I'm sure, will do a great job pulling together info and posting it....something I just don't have time to do. Let's get back to the point...I've got an RS1 sitting in my theater room! More pictures to come in a minute.
post #9 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
He did start one but "you know who"(if you have been paying attention lately) deleted it.
So much for tradition.

Someone who knows so little of what is happening behind the scenes yet has so much to say about it.
post #10 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Could someone expand on what tips 1 and 2 posted by gregr actually mean?

How do we
"use digital YCbCr signals and not digital RGB signals" ?
or
"use YPbPr signals and not RGB signals to avoid color matrix conversion errors "

Maybe examples from common equipment:

Dish/ExpressVu HD Sat boxes with HDMI out,
PS3 HDMI out
XBOX 360 Component
etc

Is he saying we just need to make a menu change on the RS1 or on the other device, I'm not clear?

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #11 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT View Post

Could someone expand on what tips 1 and 2 posted by gregr actually mean?

How do we
"use digital YCbCr signals and not digital RGB signals" ?

Maybe examples from common equipment:

Dish/ExpressVu HD Sat boxes with HDMI out,
PS3 HDMI out
XBOX 360 Component
etc

Is he saying we just need to make a menu change on the RS1 or on the other device, I'm not clear?

Here is the link to Greg's original comments, perhaps with a little more context:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&page=5&pp=30

Yes, you change the menu of the source, not in the RS1. I believe that the default setting for HDMI output will be YCbCr signals anyway, but this may not be the case for DVI devices if I understand correctly.

I will edit the first post to add some clarification.
post #12 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I think the issue is that Rob is going to take ownership of the thread and compile all the information and make it readily visible so people won't have to read through a few hundred pages to find the information they need.

call me a traditionalist, but all then stuff that will need to be compiled will end up in the "Official RS1 Tweaks and Calibration Thread" anyway Maybe Rob could start and "own" that thread.
post #13 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 PM

I guess the first thing i should admit, is that I'm not a photographer. Here are a couple of pictures I quickly took of some HD content (HD Discovery channel and HD Jay Leno both via Verizon Fios). The last is a picture from LOTRs in standard definition. I've not done any tweaking of the projector. This is about as "out of the box" as it gets.

Matt
LL
LL
LL
post #14 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 PM

Matt,

Great pics! What is your screen material?

Thanks

Optoma HD8200, Denon AVR-2309ci, PS3
post #15 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwedg View Post

Matt,

Great pics! What is your screen material?

Thanks

The screen that I've got it set up on right now is a 100" portable 4:3 Dalite matte white screen. It's actually a business screen that I sometimes carry with me on trips for work. Even so, it seems plenty bright. after I have it professionally installed this weekend, I'll take some pictures in my final set up.
post #16 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Matt- How is the fan noise in both modes please? Congrats on your new toy
post #17 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the pics Matt and congrats on being the first here to get a RS1!

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
post #18 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 09:56 PM

I don't have any way to professionally measure it, but in normal mode, I didn't notice it at all while watching Lord of the Rings. In high mode, I could hear it and to be honest, it was a bit louder than I would like. But then again, I'm literally sitting about 4 inches away from the thing (I can't stop drooling over it) and in my batcave I'll be running it in normal mode so I'm sure I won't hear it once it's mounted up on my 10' ceiling.

I'm off to bed. More tomorrow after work, but by then I'm sure there will be a host of people with these gems in their rooms.
post #19 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Brann View Post

I asked for my thread to be taken down. I started it, but then realized that as I was typing, Rob had already started a new owners thread. It doesn't do anyone any good to have multiple owner's threads floating around, especially when we already have 1000's of other RS1 threads on the board. Rob, I'm sure, will do a great job pulling together info and posting it....something I just don't have time to do. Let's get back to the point...I've got an RS1 sitting in my theater room! More pictures to come in a minute.

It's refreshing to see this kind of thinking replace the braggadocio that sometimes runs amok around here.

Matt, congratulations are in order.
post #20 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Nice Pics!!! Can I ask, how far you have the projector sitting from the screen? I'm still trying to find out if it'll be bright enough for my 120" matte white da-lite. The projector will be mounted about 17ft from the screen and 9ft high. Thanks, again Great Pics!
post #21 of 8757 Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow Matt
Good for you ! First RS1 and it's in the DFW area ha ha ! This is great news and the pictures
look great . Johnathan

I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

See my Den to HT conversion thread !
post #22 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 01:09 AM

blimey over 3 hours gone and no more posts....

why do you guys sleep in the US, it is 09:08 GMT - surely UPS delivers that early to allow more reviews at this time of the day
post #23 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartS View Post

blimey over 3 hours gone and no more posts....

why do you guys sleep in the US, it is 09:08 GMT - surely UPS delivers that early to allow more reviews at this time of the day

I am awake in the USA...but no RS1

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #24 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

BartS,

Sigh... why didn't you guys make it all black for the rest of the world.
It looks 1000 times better

/Sören
post #25 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

congrats Matt and thanks for the pics. I look forward to hearing more of your impressions. I should be getting mine from AVS sometime next week and can hardly contain my excitement. I'm upgrading from a Z4 and I'm considering going to 2.35 screen. I already bought some black-out cloth and velvet to make a new screen and border but decided to wait until I have the projector to build it. I'll test it out on my current 16x9 screen first to see how big I can comfortably go with the 2.35 screen and still have a punchy image. I'm hoping to go with a 120" wide screen, which will make it about 51" tall. Hopefully the RS1 will have enough brightness in normal mode to make this work. I plan on doing the "poor man's CIH" method until I can afford a scaler and lens. The projector will be about 12'-0" from the screen at my current mounting location, but I could move it back to about 14 or 15 feet. It won't be long now.
post #26 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 05:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer View Post

congrats Matt and thanks for the pics. I look forward to hearing more of your impressions. I should be getting mine from AVS sometime next week and can hardly contain my excitement. I'm upgrading from a Z4 and I'm considering going to 2.35 screen. I already bought some black-out cloth and velvet to make a new screen and border but decided to wait until I have the projector to build it. I'll test it out on my current 16x9 screen first to see how big I can comfortably go with the 2.35 screen and still have a punchy image. I'm hoping to go with a 120" wide screen, which will make it about 51" tall. Hopefully the RS1 will have enough brightness in normal mode to make this work. I plan on doing the "poor man's CIH" method until I can afford a scaler and lens. The projector will be about 12'-0" from the screen at my current mounting location, but I could move it back to about 14 or 15 feet. It won't be long now.

unless I am doing the math wrong, your projector will have to be at least 13.7' (call it 13'10") back to display on a 120" wide screen.

paul
post #27 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Doing a little homework is in order for you guys planning 120" screens. If you are going "poor man's CIH" (spherical not anamorphic), you will need some gain in your screen. At unity gain you will not hit 12 foot lamberts out of the box even in high lamp mode (presuming 630 lumens). Some gain and CIH 2.35 are pretty much a must if you are to have any comfortable luminance in the mid-teens. Otherwise, you will have to live with less brightness than the conventional minimum specs. The most challenged are the AT screens at or near that size with a pj at this lumen output. For instance, Stewart ST130 with Microperf has about 1.2 gain (SmX about the same). If you go down to 114" with this in a CIH 2.35 system, you can still hit about 16+ FL in Normal mode.
post #28 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

3 Questions about the color problems Gregr identified:

1) Are these color matrix issues minor or easy to notice.
Is it something we should consider avoiding units until its corrected?

Greg quoted that JVC is aware of the his color concerns:
2) What is the firmware update process, by user, or at service center only?
3) If it's a hardware issue will JVC offer a quick swap for new units to early buyers?

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #29 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Does the contrast change with bulb age? I.e. can I get Jason's measured contrast numbers with 100 hours on the bulb, with less light output, or does contrast also correspond to the max light output of the bulb?
post #30 of 8757 Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Does the contrast change with bulb age? I.e. can I get Jason's measured contrast numbers with 100 hours on the bulb, with less light output, or does contrast also correspond to the max light output of the bulb?

Contrast should not change over time. As the bulb ages, your whites and blacks will become dimmer at the same rate. The picture may color shift a bit and a recalibration could change the contrast ratio, but all other things held constant, you won't see a decline in contrast.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs1 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page