Need Help: 1080P Projector Selection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All,

I'm in the process of selecting a new 1080P projector for my home theater. I've done my research and are not biased towards any technology. However, I'm still in limbo as to which to purchase. Price is not part of the equation up to $6500. Below are the ones I'm seriously looking at.

Sony Ruby VPL-VW100

Sony Pearl VPL-VW50

Optoma HD-81

JVC RS-1

Panasonic PT-AE1000

Epson Cinema 1080

The projector I'm replacing is the Panny AE700. My current screen is the VuTec SilverStar 103" 16:9. I also plan on adding a vertical compression lense for 2.35/2.40 source material. Additionally I'm looking to purchase a NEC TheaterSync or Crystallio VP3300 for video processsing. Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

Currently programming my Pronto TSU9600....I think I need some Tylenol.

Now Featuring the Klipsch THX Ultra2 System (Quad KW-120's)
Integra DTC 9.8 / Emotiva MPS-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Liked: 10
Hmmm.... This post was make two hours ago and I'm surprised there aren't 100 replies already advocating the RS-1.

$300 HDMI cables? P.T. Barnum would have been proud.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 04:17 PM

I'd go with the RS1....

Disclaimer: Totally biased RS1 fanclown...cannot be relied upon for any type of objectivity regarding same. You have been warned.
post #4 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well all are good selections. Here is my 2 cents (take it for what it's worth ).

1. The VPLVW100 Ruby is a great unit. But at this stage, the most expensive of the bunch and for the most part, outshined by the RS1 (which is also cheaper). I would skip this at this point.
2. The Pearl is my choice in the under $4k range. Decent brightness, good contrast, good colors, very well made, etc... Also pretty rock solid in performance.
3. I thikn the Optoma is decent, although it is a bit overpriced compared to some others in this stage. The outboard processor is nice to have and works well. This is a brighter unit, but much lower contrast and the offset can make installation difficult.
4. The RS1 is just shipping but most reports have made it a real good contender for the money. A bit more than the Pearl, Epson and Panny, but if in your budget worth considering.
5. Panasonic...good unit, but the Smoothscreen kills it for me. I think they should have skipped it.
6. Epson is new so I don't know much about it.
I use the same screen and I can say that any will work well with it. Also, you will see a huge improvement over the AE700 (I had a AE900 and these are all way better.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Id go for the RS-1 and a vp

Its just a pity you need to buy a gennum equiped vp when there is one on board but not utilised well.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #6 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You've Got Mail!
post #7 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Id go for the RS-1 and a vp

Its just a pity you need to buy a gennum equiped vp when there is one on board but not utilised well.

Is this something that can be improved by a future firmware update? Or is it strictly a hardware problem?

post #8 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can it...sure. Will it...no one knows right now.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I moved from an AE700 to the HC5000.

The move was prompted by the PS3, but I soon upgraded the X360 HD DVD to an XA2 and then the AV amp made way for the RXV2700 as well.

Huge gains for me. and the DI issues no longer bother me when I am watching a movie.

And I still using a grey wall.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Mitsu is a good option as well. It is the least expensive of the 1080p units, but don't let that fool you. It holds its own with the units that cost more.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

All,

Thank you so much for the information. So I've pretty much eliminated the Ruby and HD-81 from my list now. I really wish I could see an RS-1 or Pearl. Anyone located in South Central PA or Central NJ with an RS-1 or Pearl? Also, does the RS-1 include the vertical strech feature needed for the vertical compression lense? With regard to Sony...I know the Pearl and Ruby have been on the market for awhile now....does Sony have plans for replacements to these units that would be worth waiting for?

Thanks,

Ryan

post #12 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Jason,

Is the Ruby in a different league than the Pearl? I have yet to see either so I'm going by any info I can get. I just don't understand the huge difference in price.

Thanks,

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Well all are good selections. Here is my 2 cents (take it for what it's worth ).

1. The VPLVW100 Ruby is a great unit. But at this stage, the most expensive of the bunch and for the most part, outshined by the RS1 (which is also cheaper). I would skip this at this point.
2. The Pearl is my choice in the under $4k range. Decent brightness, good contrast, good colors, very well made, etc... Also pretty rock solid in performance.
3. I thikn the Optoma is decent, although it is a bit overpriced compared to some others in this stage. The outboard processor is nice to have and works well. This is a brighter unit, but much lower contrast and the offset can make installation difficult.
4. The RS1 is just shipping but most reports have made it a real good contender for the money. A bit more than the Pearl, Epson and Panny, but if in your budget worth considering.
5. Panasonic...good unit, but the Smoothscreen kills it for me. I think they should have skipped it.
6. Epson is new so I don't know much about it.
I use the same screen and I can say that any will work well with it. Also, you will see a huge improvement over the AE700 (I had a AE900 and these are all way better.

post #13 of 22 Old 03-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

How come the BenQ W10000 is not even up for consideration in this discussion ? Discounting price (or value for money) for the moment, then the only real issue I see with it is the limited zoom ratio.

The W10000/W90000 seems to be almost invisible on this forum.

Brent
post #14 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Is this something that can be improved by a future firmware update? Or is it strictly a hardware problem?

It can but i doubt it. The time taken to develop the software will eat well into the machines lifecycle. I think its most likely to be addresed on thier next machine. I hope Im wrong on this one.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #15 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Ruby is indeed better than the Pearl overall. But, it is a point of diminishing returns situation. The Ruby is quite a bit more money and not that much better.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwishred View Post

How come the BenQ W10000 is not even up for consideration in this discussion ? Discounting price (or value for money) for the moment, then the only real issue I see with it is the limited zoom ratio.

Brent

Brent ain't that a bitch though, it seems like none of the big wigs on this forum even respond to any questions about it other then Eric Awtry. Oh well they probley figure they have a better markup on Sony, JVC.

Dale
post #17 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Dale

Actually, Jason had some interesting comments on the W10000 relative to the Samsung H710. But these were via phone conversation and I am not going to post (my interpretation of what) he said to the open forum. I will give you a hint though by saying that his perspective was quite different from yours

Brent.
post #18 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually I have a much better markup on the BenQ...much, much better. But, at AVS it isn't about selling someone to make more money. I am first about making sure someone gets what fits their needs best. My customers will vouch for that.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am first about making sure someone gets what fits their needs best. My customers will vouch for that.

Just in case my post above gave the wrong impression, I will vouch that that was my experience.

It still leaves my original question un-answered though.....why the relative lack of BenQ 1080p's fan-boys ?

Brent
post #20 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwishred View Post

Brent

I was all set to get the BenQ W1000, for the initial rumors were that I could get a 120" diag pic at ~13 ft throw. When it came out that it required a substantially larger throw, it made it impossible for me. It is just too restrictive to fit a large fraction of the people interested in this price/quality range.
post #21 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think there are simply better units currently if I can be blunt. I know for my customers, my review results weren't all that spectacular for the W10000 compared to other offerings. And considering it is more money than the usuallyMitsu, Pearl, etc.... well, it makes it a harder sale. Don't get me wrong, BenQ makes a good unit. I loved the PE8720 when 720p were the bigger offerings. I just personally think there are better options at the moment.

Again though, these are my opinions. Each person needs to make their own decision.
post #22 of 22 Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think there are simply better units currently if I can be blunt. I know for my customers, my review results weren't all that spectacular for the W10000 compared to other offerings. And considering it is more money than the usuallyMitsu, Pearl, etc.... well, it makes it a harder sale. Don't get me wrong, BenQ makes a good unit. I loved the PE8720 when 720p were the bigger offerings. I just personally think there are better options at the moment.

Again though, these are my opinions. Each person needs to make their own decision.

Jason I was not aiming the remark at AVS. But I do wonder if your review sample was up to par, because I do trust your judgement, but as we all know projectors there will be a couple of lemons in every batch. You did get one of the first run units without ISF and Pano lens options I think because I got one to. Benq is sending me out a new unit now so I think they handled right. I have been so screwed over by Optoma and Samsung that Benq I consider is the best choice for under $5000 right now as far as DLP goes. It would be nice if Sharp, Marantz, DP and Runco would come down to this price level but we all know that is not happening. Myself I do not like the look of SXRD, DILA and LCD as far once it the image is bigger then 70" but that is my opinion as I am the opposite of Tryg.

Yes the one thing I think that the W10000 and W9000 has against them is the throw range sucks, but other then that I think they are well worth the money.

One thing that would be interesting would be to see a honest poll on each manufacture and broken down by model number of reliability and happy end users. Because when it comes down to consumer electronics it's a crap shoot and we are the pore a$$holes that have to pay the price.

Dale
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page