post #301 of 303 Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik View Post

Harry

You simply cannot look at your CIE gamut and call it near perfect. You are missing the third dimension Y - CIE is just your xy which is your color without brightness. Video is mastered to specific brightness levels for colors - if they are not correct the colors will be dim or glowing.

So before you declare anything perfect - take your Y readings. Tom has posted the standard values for SD/HD several times.

Also look at Hugh2's CC filter thread for info on how to use CIELCH rather than CIExyY which better matches what you percieve vs. what you measure. Once you do this you will realize that creating error in color brightness is worse than reducing error in color gamut - eyes do not see color saturation - they sees color strength (Chroma) which combines saturation and brightness. If the colors are the right color but the wrong brightness - your eye still sees them as the wrong colors.

Ok.....Thanks. I'm fairly new to this stuff. Could you please give me a roadmap of the measurments I should be taking to ensure that my CIE AND my specific brightness levels for colors are accurate? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 303 Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know what your software is - but if it gets xy to form the CIE gamut chart it has to have Y - you cannot derive y without first measuring Y.

Here is Hugh2's thread - not so much about filters as it is about making and interpreting measurements.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=831730
post #303 of 303 Old 04-25-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brandt View Post

Ok.....Thanks. I'm fairly new to this stuff. Could you please give me a roadmap of the measurments I should be taking to ensure that my CIE AND my specific brightness levels for colors are accurate? Thanks.

Harry, if you have a simple light meter, such as the AEMC CA813, you can check it by using the spreadsheet I provide in this post.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page