Fixing the Oversaturation Problem in the JVC-RS1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hate to start yet another RS-1 thread....but there is now so much conflicting information elsewhere, i figure i'll try again Here are the specific questions i'm wondering about:

(1) Is there CURRENTLY a processor with full CMS that could be used to correct the color gamut issues of the RS-1?

(2) Absent a processor with full CMS, how successful might one be in partially or full correcting these problems with an existing product such as the Crystalio II, Lumagen, VP50 or other processors.

(3) Is JVC likely to correct this problem with an FW update? Will the user be able to install the update in the field?

(4) Are color and tint controls within a source (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) player helpful in resolving the JVC color issue?

Thanks for your ideas.

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Short answers:

1) Not that I know of.

2) Read the Calibration thread. It sounds like Bob and a couple others are reporting significant improvements with a VP.

3) I wouldn't expect JVC to address the issue any more than they have. I'd bet the farm on the user NOT being able to do FW updates in the field. JVC is still not saying how this will be handled. I'm expecting those of us from the first round of shipments to have to send our PJs in (or have them exchanged) to correct the problems.

4) No answer on this yet, but I know a couple of people are looking into it. Since all sources don't have a correction (eg: cable box), I certainly don't consider this a 'fix'.
post #3 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

My impression from reading all the threads is that the color gamut is set by JVC to where JVC wants it. Oversaturation was by design. Therefore I wouldn't expect JVC to fix it when to them, there is nothing to fix. Those that want correct colors are using Crystallio II (for one) with some success at taming the colors down.
post #4 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

(4) Are color and tint controls within a source (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) player helpful in resolving the JVC color issue?

No. The user color control adjusts color intensity, not saturation.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #5 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

A post in the calibration thread indicates saturation (as well as intensity) may be affected by the color controls in the latest firmware (061). Only a single sighting so far, so verification is needed. See post #577.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post10199988
post #6 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the difference between "color intensity" and saturation?

Typically projectors with extended gamuts can be brought to spec by reducing the "saturation" or "color" control. To take the extreme case, you can set the color/saturation control on most projectors to zero and the resulting image will be black and white. (BTW, this is a good way to test grayscale tracking.)

Now, if you feed a projector an RGB signal then (depending on the projector), the user might not have an option to adjust color/saturation because the signal might never get to the YCrCb domain where saturation adjustments are made.

My answers are just general answers and not RS-1 specific. It is usually considered a good thing if a projector has a slightly wider than spec gamut because it can be reduced via color/saturation control. The opposite is NOT true; projectors that have smaller than spec gamuts can not be adjusted to spec with color/saturation control.

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #7 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

To elaborate, Greg Rogers comments in the RS-1 article:
Quote:
The projector's Color control primarily affects the lightness of colors, rather than their saturation. It can still be used to reduce overly vivid color and flesh tones, but I would have liked a color management system (CMS) to adjust the primary and complementary colors to the Rec. 709 and SMPTE-C standards.

I'm not completely sure what the term "lightness of colors" means, but in general a "Color" control directly effects saturation. By reducing the magnitude of the Cr and Cb components you are reducing the saturation. As a crude example, if the projector is getting a YCrCb signal that tells the projector to "Create a 100% blue image", the projector will send a 100% signal to blue panel and nothing to the Red and Green. Now, if the projected blue is too saturated, as it is with the RS-1 (i.e. a v' value that is too low), the saturation can be reduced by reducing the "Color" control. With a reduced "Color" setting, the projector will now start sending a small signal to the Green and Red panels to compensate. It will and should also reduce the output going to the blue panel by some proportional amount. The end result will be primary colors that have the right u' and v' coordinates and luminosity.

If the JVC's "Color" control works differently than above, it would be quite unusual. If color thing was a big problem (and I doubt it is), Greg should have gone into detail about how the "Color" control actually works.

The fact that he didn't kind of suggests that this is all a lot to do about nothing.

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #8 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
One must measure the color control in three dimensions - the 2D CIE xy colorspace in which a retreat in color saturation can be measured - as well as the third dimensions of color brightness Y - psychovisually refered to as lightness - which is not on the CIE diagram but is in the raw XYZ tristimulus data taken from the colorimeter or as measured by a lightmeter. Color brightness most be proportional to the brightness of white per the ratios defined in the SMPTE standards. Often color controls may correct one measure while worsening the other.

As well you can take it further and see if the color saturation/brightness adjustments apply to all levels of color- does 100% behave same as 75%? Does pink behave same as red? Your assumption that color controls on PJ behave in a canonical way - is flawed thinking from the analog circuit and CRT world. These are digital controls - marketing can and will whip their engineers to abuse the controls however they want to. In the digital realm it is unusual if controls actually work the way they are "supposed" to.
post #9 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not completely sure what the term "lightness of colors" means

It refers to the luminance of the color. For example, if you measure the output of a color field with a simple light meter, the amount of light that registers on the meter will go up and down as you adjust the color control.

"Saturation" properly refers to the purity of the color, the redness of the red if you like. Adjustments in this value would not register on a light meter. They would, however, register on a colorimeter. The more saturated the color, the further it will appear from white on a CIE chart. Color intensity is not measured at all on the CIE chart, except indirectly.

The problem with the RS1 is not that its colors are too intense (what Greg referred to as "lightness"). They are too saturated. You could move the measured saturation to the correct point by adjusting the Color control downwards, because intensity is one component of saturation (there's a formula for this, which I don't recall right now), but it would royally screw up the image.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #10 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Are there any available test patterns to set/observe this without using test equipment?

Also, I'm a little unclear on this point: In theory, if the three primaries were exactly equally oversaturated, would a correctly implemented color control allow you to completely correct that?

Thanks,

Andy K.
post #11 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

Are there any available test patterns to set/observe this without using test equipment?

Thanks,

Andy K.

Sure. All you need is Avia (or the equivalent) and a light meter. There are established specs for the intensity of RGBCYM for both SD and HD. Actually, there's a thread over on the calibration forum discussing this very issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=827747

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #12 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

But nothing that does not require equipment (ie. a light meter)?
post #13 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the only way to eyeball it is with filters and SMPTE color bars. But you still need the test pattern and filter.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #14 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

My impression from reading all the threads is that the color gamut is set by JVC to where JVC wants it. Oversaturation was by design. Therefore I wouldn't expect JVC to fix it when to them, there is nothing to fix. Those that want correct colors are using Crystallio II (for one) with some success at taming the colors down.

If that's true...i think JVC is being kind of moronic.....to oversaturate colors for the "wow" factor, but not allow people seeking accuracy to have a reasonable means of adjustment. Here's my conspiracy theory:

1. JVC has built an incredible projector at a great price point.

2. JVC purposely oversaturated colors (as is commonly done with TV's on display) because it tends to sell to people who see it demo'd and say....."Amazingly bright colors....gee whiz....i want it!!!"

3. JVC purposely decided NOT to put full control of the Gennum chip.

4. JVC will release a projector that is essentially the same as the RS1 will full CMS, or at least more controls of the Gennum chip....and perhaps vertical stretch at a price point a bit higher (perhaps 10-12K).

5. Many RS-1 owners will upgrade. Many other videophiles will buy the new projector based in the positive reviews of the RS-1 that mentioned overstaturation and desire for more control.

6. Alternatively, JVC might release an add-on processor or a bundle with a processor and and RS-1 that takes those who want it, to full color accuracy and vertical stretch.

Remember, you heard it here first!!!!!!

Can't say I completely fault JVC regarding this....seems like a good strategy. It probably isn't fair to whine about a 5 grand projector and expect that it SHOULD behave perfectly in every respect. As disappointed as I am about the color issue....I'm very much enjoying the RS-1...and figure I will enjoy it more after my Crystalio II arrives. Will it ever be perfect? Doubtful.
post #15 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is there any doubt that TV manufacturers that also make PJ do what they know best from selling TV's - bright overblown contrast with glowing red faces and blue clouds in their sea blue skies? Candy coated rainbows that lead to the pot of gold...
post #16 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the only what to eyeball it is with filters and SMPTE color bars. But you still need the test pattern and filter.

Yeah, thats more what I'm thinking. What test patterns and filters are required? (I am assuming I would need more than the 3 test patterns and color filters that come with Avia, correct?)
post #17 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

kromkamp

blue filter tells you the brightness of blue in white matches the brightness of blue, etc. It does not tell you that the primary colors are proper colors. They will tell you if secondary colors are proper hue but not saturation. And filters only work if you are already at D65 - otherwise you are balancing the colors to the uncalibrated greyscale.
post #18 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brandt View Post

Remember, you heard it here first!!!!!!

Ah, actually not Harry.
post #19 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post

Ah, actually not Harry.

You mean my idea is not original?? Comeon Wet1....give me some credit.
post #20 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

post #21 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik View Post

kromkamp

blue filter tells you the brightness of blue in white matches the brightness of blue, etc. It does not tell you that the primary colors are proper colors. They will tell you if secondary colors are proper hue but not saturation. And filters only work if you are already at D65 - otherwise you are balancing the colors to the uncalibrated greyscale.

So is the conclusion that there is no test pattern that can let you determine color accuracy by eye?
post #22 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigggles View Post

The fact that he didn't kind of suggests that this is all a lot to do about nothing.

-Mr. Wigggles

You need to see if for yourself. Not sure if you have ever seen me bitchin about a projector. I do not recall ever doing it. Amps, speakers, audio, that's my thing. The colors on this projector are over the top. Perhaps that is becoming common place, I do not know? I assure you that if a NON-VIDEOPHILE, like myself is noticing, it's a real issue.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #23 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

I assure you that if a NON-VIDEOPHILE, like myself is noticing, it's a real issue.

Oh man! As a videophile who's had perfect colors (or close enough) I'm not sure if I can deal with oversaturation. I mean, color decoders have never been perfect, but with analog you can tame and fix anything. Digital just seems scary. Do people get used to oversaturated colors like I've gotten used to noticing when other people's displays have off color?

***Warning*** Do not look into laser with remaining eye!!
post #24 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

So is the conclusion that there is no test pattern that can let you determine color accuracy by eye?

No, it's just that the phrase "color accuracy" really means a lot of different things.

1) Intensity. The filter and SMPTE color bars will allow you to get proper intensity, at least for one of the primaries. However, if the color decoder is off, then when the Color/Tint control is set properly according to blue bars and filter, it will appear to be set wrong according to red and/or green bars and filter.

2) Color decoding. RGB color bars with RGB filters will show whether this is good.

3) Primary/secondary saturation and hue. This requires equipment.

4) Gray scale. You can look at a gray scale ramp and estimate good gray scale tracking, but this really requires equipment to do it right, although some people claim that they've gotten really good at eyeballing this.

Tom Huffman
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #25 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tom. I suppose I mean the first 3 collectively, and it seems that specifically your answer for the 3rd one is the issue at hand

Could you describe exactly why saturation cannot be set properly by the same sort of methods (filters) as the first two?

Thanks again,

Andy K.
post #26 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Hello,

This may help.

The Vantage - HD has a user control for Saturation. It lets the user adjust the Red, Blue and Green GAIN and also the R. , B. and G. OFFSET..
post #27 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

You need to see if for yourself. Not sure if you have ever seen me bitchin about a projector. I do not recall ever doing it. Amps, speakers, audio, that's my thing. The colors on this projector are over the top. Perhaps that is becoming common place, I do not know? I assure you that if a NON-VIDEOPHILE, like myself is noticing, it's a real issue.

I have to agree with BD, it's an issue IMO. I know I've been blasted for negatively critiquing the oversaturation of the God-like RS1, but I think enough people have commented on this issue now that it should be obvious there's something more to it than "no sun-burnt faces, neon grass, of glowing taxis on mine my heaven sent JVC...". As can be seen on the graphs, it's there and if you are accustomed to see correct colors, you'll easily notice the incorrect oversaturation on this PJ.
post #28 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 View Post

I have to agree with BD, it's an issue IMO. I know I've been blasted for negatively critiquing the oversaturation of the God-like RS1, but I think enough people have commented on this issue now that it should be obvious there's something more to it than "no sun-burnt faces, neon grass, of glowing taxis on mine my heaven sent JVC...". As can be seen on the graphs, it's there and if you are accustomed to see correct colors, you'll easily notice the incorrect oversaturation on this PJ.

Wet1 is not all wet on this one. He's right.....the color oversaturation will be readily apparent to anyone who is used to a projector with proper color setup. Having said that....I'm am confident that there will be an adequate fix using controls on an external processor or source or both....and then.....it will be like having a ferrari for the price of a ford pinto!!!
post #29 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It refers to the luminance of the color. For example, if you measure the output of a color field with a simple light meter, the amount of light that registers on the meter will go up and down as you adjust the color control.

"Saturation" properly refers to the purity of the color, the redness of the red if you like. Adjustments in this value would not register on a light meter. They would, however, register on a colorimeter. The more saturated the color, the further it will appear from white on a CIE chart. Color intensity is not measured at all on the CIE chart, except indirectly.

Tom - For digital projectors, unless the projector has some slick gamma processing, you will probably notice a change at the extremes with a saturation control. Increasing a saturation control will move the measured point away from white (subtracting some light in the process), and decreasing saturation will move the primary towards white, adding light. To observe them, these changes would have to be big enough for them to be outside the repeatability spec of your meter (which is usually pretty big for Y).

Bill

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #30 of 303 Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:

2) Color decoding. RGB color bars with RGB filters will show whether this is good.

Hi Tom,

Would you mind to elaborate this?

JM
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page