question about a new projector panel technology - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Some months ago I found a thread which had some info on a new projector panel technology - it included a link to the company website. I was wondring if anyone could held me find this thread as I can't find it myself using the search functions here on avsforum and not on google either. Perhaps someone remembers the company name.
The technology used the interaction of magnetics with light based on a new understanding of the hall effect.
I thought it sounded very promsing, though I can't remember the light source they planned on using.

Any help is much appreciated
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

It was probably one of my threads.

The technology uses Magneto photonic crystals that are nano fabricated electro magnets from my understanding. The magnetic field works on the orientation of the polarization. The speed of the crystals is said to be 1000 times faster than dlp.

Originally a person from Panorama labs promised to comment on their technology on this forum but was probably stopped by higher ups in the company. I have asked around alot about this technology but I am not getting any answers.
A nobody knows
B it is a hot technology and we are just supposed to know the technology exists but not how far along it is.

If you look for Panorama labs at www.dcinematoday.com you will find some stories.

Mattias Ohlson
post #3 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Great timing, Panorama Lab's just successfully operated a working model.

Quote:

New York-May 10, 2007
PANORAMA LABS ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL OPERATION OF WORLD’S FIRST MAGNETO-PHOTONIC PROJECTOR
Panorama Labs, the company pioneering magneto-photonic crystal technologies, announced today that it has completed and successfully operated its first magneto-photonic projector. This operational, small-scale digital projector was built to demonstrate Panorama Labs’ groundbreaking technology and is the first step in a process that will yield a revolutionary new display technology with tremendous benefits to the digital cinema and digital display communities.

This is the first time that light has been successfully directly manipulated by a projector imager, without utilizing liquid crystal or micro-mirrors, projecting an image on a screen. The heart of the system is a micro display light engine, based on the principle of magneto-optical switching, which will form the core technology for a number of applications including digital cinema projectors, rear projection TVs, home theater projectors, displays, mass storage, and telecom switching devices.

“We’re really pleased to have successfully taken this concept to a working model,” said Panorama Labs founder and Chief Strategic Officer Sutherland Ellwood.

“We’re looking forward to the next step: developing a fully functional, best-in-class digital cinema projector.”

This is a milestone in the development of a 4K digital cinema projector, as it proves magneto-photonic crystal technology can compete with the older and more commonly deployed technologies like LCD, LCoS, and plasma in digital display, and DLP in theatrical display.

“This technology uses an imager that has no moving parts or analog drift, is inherently stable and is virtually heat proof. Our imager is fabricated at 600 degrees Celsius, so temperatures of 85 degrees Celsius or higher that are destructive to all other digital cinema projector imagers are of no consequence,” said Harry Mathias, Panorama Lab’s vice president of R&D for Digital Cinema. “With this successful operation, we have made a significant step towards a whole new class of digital cinema."

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=791
post #4 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow,

That sounds really great. I wonder how it looks.

Doug
post #5 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, 50 years from now we'll be using hologram projectors....
post #6 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 167
So does anyone have a clue as to how it's illumunated and forms colors (3-chip?) and an image?

Noah
post #7 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

noah katz
With the tremendous speed they could go single panel, 1000 times faster than dlp. It could be either single panel or three panels. I am not really sure.
The illumination will most likely come from lasers. To speed up time to market xenon might be used in the first generation but my bet is on lasers.

If you read more at www.dcinematoday.com you will find that Panorama labs has been hiring top professionals to make a splash in digital cinema.

For resolution freaks I can say that one press release talked about 16k.

Mattias Ohlson
post #8 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
No mention at all about achievable contrast.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-11-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

yep - thats the one

cheers
post #10 of 25 Old 05-12-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can find a diagram and more information at the company site here:

http://www.panoramalabs.com/works.html

"The MPC makes use of the Faraday Effect, whereby polarized light is rotated by traveling through a magnetic field. The degree of that rotation is determined by the strength of the magnetic field. To see how this example works

The polarized light then passes through the coil-form (electromagnet) and the MPC and is rotated to a degree determined by the voltage applied. If no voltage is applied to the coil-form, no Faraday rotation take place
The polarized light now travels through a polarizing filter which is oriented orthogonally to the LASER polarization
The results are..

At zero voltage applied across the coil-form, there is no Faraday rotation and no light passes through the polarizer, creating a black state or pixel
As the voltage is increased, so is the degree of Faraday rotation. As the degree of Faraday rotation increases, so does the amount of light that can pass through the polarizer.
At the maximum voltage, the degree of Faraday rotation is maximized and all the light passes through the polarizer creating a full intensity pixel
Magneto-photonic crystals provide:

RGB color filtering
Bandwidth control
Polarization amplification through nano-stacking schemes
Optical switching speeds in the 20nsec range
Digital control providing more than 1024 gray levels
Very low power requirements
Manufacturing
Manufacturing magneto photonic crystals is, by comparison to other display technologies, a simple, low cost, and high-yield process.

The process begins with a transparent substrate. Multiple layers of thin-film materials are sputtered onto this substrate forming the magneto photonic crystal. The number of layers and types of materials depend on the color MPC being manufactured.

Connection and addressing are achieved by a simple matrix of X and Y conductors. These conductors are applied by using conventional deposition and subtractive etch techniques, with a dielectric layer inserted between them. Finally, the dielectric is selectively removed at ends of the X and Y lines to permit electrical connection.

The process is simple (3 mask steps) and high yielding, with inherently low materials cost."

main door at: http://www.panoramalabs.com/
post #11 of 25 Old 05-12-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank-you! Now that I know how to do it, I'm going to start making them in my basement!
post #12 of 25 Old 05-12-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Connection and addressing are achieved by a simple matrix of X and Y conductors."

Thanks for the info.

So there are discretely addressable pixels; somehow I had gotten the impression there weren't.

Though I'm not clear on how RGB color filtering is achieved.

Noah
post #13 of 25 Old 05-12-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

noah katz
With rgb lasers there is no need for color filtering.

Mattias Ohlson
post #14 of 25 Old 05-12-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If it's targeting dCinema, I doubt the first gen will use lasers. You would need really powerful lasers to get the high lumens needed for dCinema. If this was a RPTV, maybe, but I don't see lasers being used in a dCinema front pj anytime soon.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-12-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post

If it's targeting dCinema, I doubt the first gen will use lasers. You would need really powerful lasers to get the high lumens needed for dCinema. If this was a RPTV, maybe, but I don't see lasers being used in a dCinema front pj anytime soon.

They are targeting all markets at once, RPTV and home projectors and digital cinema use. The biggest money maker will be RPTV because that is the biggest market.

IB
post #16 of 25 Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's also a market in trouble.

In spite of lower prices and bigger size, flat panel (PDP and LCD) are really hurting the RPTV market.

BB
post #17 of 25 Old 05-12-2007, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, but RPTVs keep getting thinner and thinner. I think they will be around for a very long time.

see: http://www.tvtechnology.com/features...hi_touts.shtml

Mitsubishi Touts Laser TV
New 1080p DLP aims for late 2007 debut
by John Merli
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CALIF.

This is a non-working mock up of a 62 inch 1080p "Laser TV" from Mitsubishi that could be on the market by 2007
It's hardly a compliment to be called a lightweight, except if you happen to be a 62-inch rear-projection 1080p laser TV.

Consumer electronics giant Mitsubishi now hopes to combine the inherently large size of a rear-projection unit into a sleeker, lighter-weight product and pack it with enough advanced technology to out-dazzle the rest of the HD pack, although consumers may have to wait a while to see this next-gen version of DLP for themselves.

Since last winter, Mitsubishi has been trickling out details of what it unofficially is calling "Laser TV," citing it as a breakthrough in existing DLP (digital light processing) that it believes will eventually move HDTV one step further to perfection cosmetically and technologically, through the use of colored lasers.

DLP, a registered trademark of Texas Instruments, traditionally uses white-light mercury bulbs. Mitsubishi's new system, instead, uses separate red, green and blue semiconductor lasers in combination with an HD chip, which those who have seen a real-world demo (mostly dealers and Mitsubishi employees) say provides richer and more complex colors and hues, and noticeably more distinct HD clarity and depth-of-field.

Mitsubishi contends that lasers also prompt a more realistic manifestation of "black" than current DLP, plasma, LCD or CRT screens. Lasers purportedly shut off totally when not needed, frame-to-frame, creating a more natural blackness. (In contrast, today's DLP mercury bulbs do not completely blink off, according to Mit-subishi.) Today's DLP units without colored lasers already produce at least 16 million color variations, including 124,000 shades of gray, according to TI.

SOPHISTICATED LIGHT

The key component of non-laser DLP technology is an optical semiconductor (a Digital Micromirror Device or "DLP chip"), invented by TI nearly 20 years ago. It has called the chip "probably the world's most sophisticated light switch," with up to two-million hinge-mounted microscopic mirrors less than one-fifth the width of a human hair.

When the DLP chip is synchronized with a digital video signal, light source and projection lens, its flexible mirrors reflect digital images to a screen. The microscopic mirrors can reflex (blink on and off) a few thousand times per second. Much of TI's proprietary technology will be used with Mitsubishi's Laser TV, but source lighting from mercury bulbs will be replaced by the lasers.

It appears there is only one working Laser TV screen in existence for demo purposes for now; Mitsubishi is hesitant to show it off at trade shows because it still lacks suitable cabinetry and other non-technical aesthetics. A non-working cosmetic sample (see photo) of a 62-inch unit--along with the sole working screen demo--were featured at Mitsubishi's annual line show for dealers at its Huntington Beach, Calif., headquarters in April.

"We did display a working sample that was not in a finished cabinet [to] prove that we could produce a good HD picture in a finished cabinet using our laser technology," said Marty Zanfino, director of product development at Mitsubishi. Zanfino said the 62-inch diagonal screen will boast a depth of only about 10 inches and not require very much framing around the screen because advanced plastics will replace glass components in the rear projector, making the large unit lighter. (Plastics have replaced heavier glass casings in some current DLP products, as well.)

Consequently, he said, today's typical heavy-duty screen frames will not be necessary, and may be no wider than an eighth of an inch. The lighter overall weight will allow for a lower center of gravity; nearly the entire frontage can be devoted to screen surface. Thus, the Laser TV units will occupy a more compact footprint and allow sleeker cosmetic designs that could set the product apart from the rest.

But HDTV is usually about the picture--not weight or even design--and Mitsubishi is confident this is where Laser TV will excel.

"The color gamut is significantly larger because the lasers are so intense," Zanfino said. He compares its optimum video quality as being equal or superior to 35mm film. Zanfino said although prices will not be announced until the product is released, when asked, he acknowledged that Laser TV probably will start off somewhat higher-priced than today's DLP and plasma units: "We'll see, but lasers cost more than mercury bulbs."

DECISIONS, DECISIONS

Some of today's 62-inch DLPs from Toshiba and others start at about $3,500, including shipping. (Shipping weight for several current DLP units is nearly 150 pounds) Because they are rear-projection systems, DLP and "large screens" are usually synonymous. The new Laser TV units, too, are not expected to be smaller than perhaps 52 inches, although its quite possible the majority of Laser TV units initially manufactured will be closer to 62 inches.

Although DLP is only one segment of the growing HDTV market, at least 75 manufacturers have shipped an estimated 10 million DLP units since 1996, according to TI. Considering the fact that Mitsubishi's Laser TV is on track to not reach retailers until late 2007, consumers who know that Laser TV is coming will have to decide whether to postpone their HD purchases at least a year-and-a-half and hope it's worth the wait. Yet once in the home, Laser TV may be around for awhile: Mitsubishi claims its colored lasers will last far longer than mercury bulbs.

Mitsubishi is betting its innovative Laser TV will add enough value for consumers to take notice with their eyes, and their wallets."
------------------
Lasers with DLP will be great. Lasers with this new technology might be even greater. We will see. I know I want a 73" long lasting laser RPTV! Plasmas are too heavy and I don't want any burn-in. LCD does not look real to me,...too plastic looking.

IB
post #18 of 25 Old 05-13-2007, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

If read more about Panorama labs they are looking at the flat panel market with another product. My guess is that this product will be working by the same principle as the projectors but I am not sure.

Thin or not thin
Only if you wall mount a TV does it matter. Any big plasma or lcd requires a big stand to stay level. The area / depth needed is not really smaller than a thin rptv of the future. The difference is the volume of the cabinet. A smaller TV volume wise creates a more elegant look.

Mattias Ohlson
post #19 of 25 Old 05-13-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Some of us would rather save 50% on the price and endure a little thicker cabinet combined with the blessing of positively no burn-in guaranteed!

IB
post #20 of 25 Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"With rgb lasers there is no need for color filtering."

I was just quoting from their list of features/advantages.

Noah
post #21 of 25 Old 05-15-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks View Post

Some of us would rather save 50% on the price and endure a little thicker cabinet combined with the blessing of positively no burn-in guaranteed!

IB

And I am included in that group.

Just saying, the statistics on sales show people are going for flat displays in spite of the cost and performance advantages to RP. And that is borne out in my personal experience. At least half a dozen people I know who were looking for a new large HDTV who asked me for advice could not be talked out of going flat panel even though they had room for an RP and I showed them the price and performance advantage.

BB
post #22 of 25 Old 05-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can see the headlines now...

"Family disintegrated by faulty Laser TV"...
post #23 of 25 Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I for one welcome our new projection TV overlords.
post #24 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

It doesn't disintegrate you, you just end up in the digital world subjugated by Sargon and the MCP . . .

BB
post #25 of 25 Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

^^^^
How many would go out and buy these, just to try to be sent into the digital world? Would they outlaw them? What next?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page