AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need 35 ft of component, s-video, and composite cable. What to buy?

909 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  xp800 
#1 ·
I need 35 feet of component, s-video, and composite cable to run to my soon-to-be-purchased DLP projector. The component is for a progressive scan DVD player (probably the Panasonic RP56), the s-video is for DBS and S-VHS, and the composite is for a Pioneer LD player (that has no s-video output). If buying a composite-to-s-video converter would be cheaper than running the composite cable, I'd consider that too.

I quickly checked bettercables.com. All of this cable would cost me 608 dollars! There is no way I'm paying that much for cabling. What are my options?

I've heard of people running quad-shielded RG6 coax and terminating it with f-type-to-rca adapters. Does anyone have any experience with that? How would RG6 work for running s-video?

#2 ·
One solution is to buy an iScan Pro. It will accept all the inputs you mention and do the switching. You will then be able to run a single RGB or Component cable to your projector, avoiding multiple long cable runs, and improve your picture quality as well.

It can be had for about the price you're contemplating.

#4 ·
Please search this forum for information on using shielded Cat5 as a VGA/SVideo/Composite cable.

Kelly

#5 ·
You might also consider contacting a local professional A/V supplier. Often they're willing to supply made-to-order cables with the appropriate connectors at each end for a lot less than the Web suppliers. This is especially true if you buy other things through them, like the projector.

Be sure to get the projector with the right to return it for any reason. Many people find they can't stand the rainbow effect caused by the spinning color wheel in single chip DLP projectors.

#6 ·
It just so happens that I have 35 foot component and s-vhs cables that I bought and never used. They are monster and I did have them hooked up once so I know they work great. I also had 35 foot composite cable but I cut it up to make my interconnects. I bought these when I had planned on a Sony HT10 but the waiting list was so long I ended up with a Dila and now have no use for the cables. Make me any reasonable offer and they are yours. And because I had no plan to sell them I will make a deal that if you are not completely satisfied no problem just send them back and no hard feelings. The picture quality is stunning through them and I can see no difference with a 35 foot run than with a 6 foot run so I doubt you would have a problem. Good luck.

#7 ·
Augie,

I am using a 50 ft component cables that I made from quad shield RG6 for my Panasonic HDTV to JVC DILA G15 projector. I am using a F to BNC adapters. I paid 18 cents/ft for the cable and less than $2 for each adapter and the picture quality on HDTV is absolutely perfect. I'm sure a F to RCA adapter would work just fine. I have not used RG6 for making S-video cables and I'm not sure it is possible since S-video is a 4 conductor wire.

Rick

#9 ·
Rick,

Standard s-video cables are actually two coaxial cables inside a single tube. For each of the two cables, one pin goes to its center conductor, the other to the shield. One cable carries the color (chroma or C) signal, the other carries the intensity (luma or Y) signal as well as horizontal and vertical sync signals. Long runs of the usual skinny s-video cables can degrade the signal significantly.

Adaptors are readily available for connecting an S-video connector to two separate RG-6 cables, usually with BNC connectors. A Web search using Google turned up this one, for example:
http://www.hovs.com/specification.asp?id=7065

#10 ·
I too ran RG6 quad shield .09cents a foot. Mine are 50ft lengths and I use Two together for Svideo. Three for component RGB converted to HD15, and one for composite. Probably not the best cables but at under $100 for everything in working order you cant beat it. Just my .02

#11 ·
Rick and wcj56, where did you buy your supplies -- coax, ends, tools, etc.?

wcj56, what adapter(s) did you use to convert the coax to s-video? I know Tributaries has a coax to s-video converter, but its $65. I'd need two (one for each end) so it would come to $130. I could buy a 35 foot s-video cable for $130.

apnar, if I decide to build the cables myself, I'll use the instructions. Very easy to follow. Thanks!

#13 ·
Augie,

No, you should *not* use a convertor. That combines the signal from two-cable s-video into single-cable composite, which is inappropriate. The Y and C s-video signals should be sent over two separate coaxial cables. For that you just need appropriate connector adaptors.

Unfortunately, the Tributaries web site does not use standard video terminology to describe their s-video convertors, so it's hard to tell what they actually do to the signals. sigh.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bwiklem
I recommend www.avcable.com

Practically same quality cable, Canare 75ohm connectors, and quite a bit cheaper.

I ordered the RGB 'snake' which I use on my D-ILA unit.
I heartily second AVCable.com. Jim's stuff is first rate, and all my orders have been handled VERY quickly. His prices are not that much more than making your own - especially if you factor in the proper crimp dies and stripping tools (Canare dies are $65-$75 alone). I use his stuff throughout my system. Call him to discuss your specific needs, and best of all he can make the cables to the inch of what you want.

- Dieter

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Augie
bwiklem and xp800, do you use the High Res or Small Profile component cable from AVCable.com? Is the High Res stuff worth the extra money?
The high res uses Gepco VSD2001 RG6 cable bundled into a nice jacket. This cable has what I believe to be the best frequency response/lowest loss RG6 class cable on the market. It has usable frequency response to 3 GHz (not that you need that...yet)... This is the cable I use for my component video interconnects. This same VSD2001 cable is used for the PVC2 composite video and serial digital cables they make. They use Canare TRUE 75 ohm RCA connectors as well. I don't think you will find better raw materials anywhere.

I think it's a credit to AVCable that they show you the actual parts and materials they use to make the cables. No snake oil, just good solid broadcast quality stuff that's very well put together.

Go to www.gepco.com to look at the specs. The other major cable manufacturers are Canare ( www.canare.com ) and Belden ( www.belden.com ). None of their RG6 class cables match Gepco's.

You can save some $$ on long runs by requesting the hook and loop sleeve NOT be applied. It looks nice if you can see it, but none of mine have it as I went with plastic wire looms for the various groups of cables.

Good luck!

- Dieter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.