Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 06-01-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just as a reminder, the absolute black level can easily be controlled optically with a neutral density filter.

Calibration thread over in our own forums:
http://www.datapopuli.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=633

Color accuracy evangelist and CalMAN insider
post #3 of 127 Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

I have found some Fantastic setting for my Panasonic.

Cinema 1 mode:

Contrast: +10
Brightness: -2
Color: -1
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +2
Color Temp: -4

Advanced Menu:

Gamma Low = +5

Can others use these setting and tell me if you like them?

Also anyone with the proper equipment, can they measure ansi, and full on/off with these setting please.

You seem to love cinema 1. I love cinema 3. Probably difference in Screens. I have the HP 159" so I might need the extra brightness because of the size and 19ft throw.

Anyhow... my basic setup now is:

Brightness -4

Contrast 16

Sharpness -2

Color Temp 1

Tint -1

I'm gonna try your settings and get back to you though.
post #4 of 127 Old 06-04-2007, 02:22 AM

For those who loves measurements....Colorfact + Gretag one-eye

Below 20 IRE is difficult to obtain a perfectly balanced picture, but I assure you that the overall result is very very good.

ciao,
diego

P.S. I will post my settings soon, as now I'm in the office and I do not recall the gamma values
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 127 Old 06-04-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruva View Post

For those who loves measurements....Colorfact + Gretag one-eye

Yeah, um, no. What's the gamma at a point-by-point level? What's the dE, and how is it computed?

I'll post some stuff this weekend, if I get a chance, done with a particular tool I just happen to have. I've got some filters coming, as well, so that should be fun all around.

post #6 of 127 Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you guys just winging these cals or do you have one of those fancy meters and the software??

I did what I could using the Avia test disk.

And doesn't screen type also make a difference? Grey / Silver / White / Gain
post #7 of 127 Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 AM

mdrew,
the gretag one-eye is a spectreradiometer (I don't know if the spelling is correct), that means that it measure the light reflected from the screen: so it is influenced by every aspect of your video-chain, including screen type and gain, and the colors of your wall, light etc. etc.

SOWK,
I like your settings, well balanced; I miss only a little bit of lumen.
I would like to take some measure this weekend, and I will post it here if you like.

ciao,
diego
post #8 of 127 Old 06-05-2007, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

I'm amazed how many of you are lowering the colour temp. I've mine at +2 (Cinema 1). Otherwise greys are very, very pink. I guess you don't watch many black and white films. Anyone else doing this?
post #9 of 127 Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Did you make all the Changes I have posted in post number 3?

Also You have to watch my setting for like 5 min, then switch to your settings.

You will likely be shocked. Also if it is in a low light scene, you'll be super impressed on how much Low level greyscale my setting can show you. I wanted to keep the Image as 3d as possible in both light and dark scenes, get as much shadow detail out of darker scenes, and keep peoples faces as natural as possible at all times.

Also some units may differ. With these settings my Panasonic is amazing, I now have my shadow detail 99% of what I was getting out of my previous projector. (The Sony VPL-VW50)

Your eyes and brain can adj to the look on the screen.

You should be testing this with a color movie. black and white films should have a setting all there own.
post #10 of 127 Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

Are you guys just winging these cals or do you have one of those fancy meters and the software??

Not just have one of those fancy meters and software packages -- I also helped write one of those software packages.

Quote:

And doesn't screen type also make a difference? Grey / Silver / White / Gain

Your screen will impart its own color "signature" to the image. As a rule of thumb, the higher the gain of the screen, the more pronounced its color signature will be. Also, the more "exotic" the blend, the greater the color shift. So, a FireHawk (~1.1 - 1.2) will be more pronounced than a StudioTek (~1.3), even though the StudioTek fabric has slightly higher gain.

My High Power screen emphasizes blue a bit.

SOWK - You are definitely correct, there. Black and White films tend to want their own calibration (~5400K, Illuminant E), rather than using a color standard. However, this is more for folks "taste", rather than a strictly defined standard. Some people like the sepia-toned look, others like a more ice-blue edge to their Bogart films.

Bill

post #11 of 127 Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear5k View Post

Not just have one of those fancy meters and software packages -- I also helped write one of those software packages.

Your screen will impart its own color "signature" to the image. As a rule of thumb, the higher the gain of the screen, the more pronounced its color signature will be. Also, the more "exotic" the blend, the greater the color shift. So, a FireHawk (~1.1 - 1.2) will be more pronounced than a StudioTek (~1.3), even though the StudioTek fabric has slightly higher gain.

Bill

I've been thinking about getting set up for this, seeing how there is no one within 300 miles of me that can calibrate....anything.

Do you have a link or other information in regards to the program?
post #12 of 127 Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 PM

I just tried SOWK's settings, and they look pretty good. I'm just curious what kind of screen you have? I'm using a Stewart Studiotek 130. I think I might lower the contrast a little bit.
post #13 of 127 Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is a standard DIY White Screen, 1.0 Gain 95" 2.35 AR
post #14 of 127 Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks. Your settings definitely punched up the picture a bit, although I did drop the contrast down to 8 (maybe it's the 1.3 gain on my screen). I'll watch the rest of the baseball game and then try different sources. Thank again.
post #15 of 127 Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 AM

Anyone else have a DIY wilsonart designer white screen? I built a 119" and I'm very happy with it. I've been using Rockokma's cinema 3 settings but with +4 brightness, sharpness 0 and only +9 contrast.

Nice thread!
post #16 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Why don't you guys put Avia or DVE in your player, throw up a gray ramp or two and use the Waveform monitor to set Contrast and Brightness? These setting are overdriving contrast. You are crushing whites for sure with Contrast set that high also blacks are probably going to be crushed as well. Using Gamma control in that way is not going to get you an accurate pciture. Trust me on this, the Waveform Monitor is your friend for Color, Tint, Brightness and Contrast. It one of the best tools you will find in a PJ at any cost.

Eric Awtry
Dream Theater Consulting
post #17 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Why don't you guys put Avia or DVE in your player, throw up a gray ramp or two and use the Waveform monitor to set Contrast and Brightness? These setting are overdriving contrast. You are crushing whites for sure with Contrast set that high also blacks are probably going to be crushed as well. Using Gamma control in that way is not going to get you an accurate pciture. Trust me on this, the Waveform Monitor is your friend for Color, Tint, Brightness and Contrast. It one of the best tools you will find in a PJ at any cost.

Thats exactly what I did and I found that my DVD player's settings were quiet different from my HTPC settings. That suggests to me that unless you all have the same DVD player, then there is little point copying each other's settings. There is an excellent review on a German website (I think forum rules prevent me from posting a link?) that shows how they used the waveform monitor to set it up during the review. If you find it, you can translate into English using babelfish or similar. You can even use the waveform monitor to set up the primary and secondary colours too.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #18 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because I don't have a clue how to do that. Can you point me to a calibration for dummies sight??
post #19 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Because I don't have a clue how to do that. Can you point me to a calibration for dummies sight??

Here is a cut and paste of an explanation I put on an English website about using the waveform monitor, I hope it helps. :

I used a test DVD 'Digital Video Essentials', but there are others available. Some say that there are certain THX Optimisers on (I believe) Star Wars episode 4 that is actually encoded at the correct black and white levels.

Each press of the WM button takes you through 6 different modes. I started on the 'Single Line Scan Y' mode:

Start with all the PJ controls at their default, including the 'advanced' menu ones and use your prefered 'Picture' mode (Cinema 1, etc). Then get your test picture on screen: one with a known 0% black section on it. Move the WM line up or down the screen until it bisects the 0% square (if using DVE). You will notice that on the WM in line with the 0% bar/square the WM shows a line which should be around the 0% marker. Adjust your 'Brightness' control to get the WM showing exactly on the 0% marker at the point where it lines up with the 0% square/bar.

Then get a picture up on screen with a known 100% white square/bar. Postion the WM line so it passed through the 100% white. Adjust your contrast control so the WM shows 100% (using the 'Solid' marker NOT the higher dotted marker on the WM ). DVE has a test picture with squares going from 0 to 100% complete with squares with black 0% with an inner square of 5% and an equvalent one for white 100% with an inner square of 95%. It saves jumping from chapter to chapter, plus you can just move the WM line up or down to the right bit you need to measure.

If you have DVE or a disc with 50% square on it you can use the mid gamma to trim the WM to show 50%. If you use the 5% and 95% squares on DVE you can see the use of the High and Low gamma respectively, but I just tweaked my low gamma to +1 to slightly improve shadow detail...but maybe that wouldn't be done by a professional calibrator.

You can then repeat the brightness and contrast settings using the WM in 'Single Line Scan R/G/B' modes and adjusting the 'advanced' RGB brightness and contrast controls to get 100 and 0% for each colour on the WM. I don't understand the use of the WM 'Full Scan' settings, so I haven't used them myself. Nor the 'Color Profile' menu for that matter...if anyone can explain I'd like to have a go at using them later?

If you have DVE you can use the coloured filter to adjust the 'colour' control as per DVE instructions, I believe only the blue one is very acurate...but I stand to be corrected.

You may need to go back over these checks after adjusting incase any interaction between the controls effects the WM readings, eg Contrast/Brightness may move the the mid gamma (50%) WM reading.

Once you are happy with the settings, save them using the 'Mem Load' button. Note that if you change the 'Picture' mode then the settings will be different, so you can 'calibrate' for, say Cinema 1 and Colour 1 (my favourites) and have two memory settings.

I hope this helps....maybe it is as clear as mud. I feel like I've just typed out the whole manual.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #20 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool.....thanks Kelvin.
post #21 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you call losing a lot of shadow detail accurate!

I'll take my very very good grayscale (aka being able to see shadow detail) then try to get within 50K of 6500K from 10 IRE to 100 IRE.

Also Awtryau89, please try the settings.

I have used the waveform monitor, and it is not giving me the most pleasing image once so called "Calibrated" properly.

On Cimena 1

Contrast at 0 and brightness at 0 are "correct" But shadow details are lost.
post #22 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

One more issue, if everyone is using Cinema 1 they are looking at improper colors. Use Color 1. It is exactly the same as far as grayscale goes as Cinema 1 but the Primaries and Secondaries are mapped almost perfectly on the Rec 709 triangle.

As far as losing shadow detail, I understand your point perfectly. It can be pleasing to pick up some. The problem with what you are doing is with Gamma at -5 you probably have a gamma of 2.7 or 2.8 at 10, 20 and 30 IREs. This will give you a very uneven gamma curve. Ultimately though, it is your preference and I certainly understand if you like it that way.

Eric Awtry
Dream Theater Consulting
post #23 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SOWK, do you like this projector better than the pearl?
post #24 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, you are 100% correct.

I am probably high at 10 20 and 30

also you are correct about Color1:

But the image tends to be more colorful, and 3D on Cinema 1 setting.
post #25 of 127 Old 06-08-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

SOWK, do you like this projector better than the pearl?

With my current settings, yes.

I also don't have to deal with Brighter corners, misconvergance, light leakage.

If I set the projector up to be very accurate (ISF type setup), then the greyscale of the pearl is way better. But about the same with my current settings.

The panasonic is better for a majority of the time. Mid to far away shots look way better.

Up close mug shots looked better on the Pearl.

But... Lets just say this, I am finally happy with a projector.

Never, never did I think I would say that in a long time.
post #26 of 127 Old 06-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Looking for some help. I just upgraded from the ae900u to the ae1000u. The picture is alot brighter,punchier, 3d, and just overall better except for one thing....I am seeing alot more what looks like grain,posterization, or something of that effect. Any tips on help would be grateful. I am using HDMi through the PS3 and my screen is a Carada brilliant white 118". All connections including the HDMI cord are the exact same as I had them with the ae900u only now the grainy stuff is bugging the crap outta me. I notice it all over the screen and it's really noticeable in backgrounds and on peoples faces.
Edit: I just popped in POTC: dead mans chest and messed with different setting but couldn't get rid of it. It is Really noticeable on the opening of the movie. You can't even really distinguish the fog from the artifacts. I tried out both HDMI inputs on the projector and both displayed the problem. I have no idea what the culprit could be. Like I said, my 720P ae900u didn't show any of this running 1080i from the PS3. Could it be the added detail and contrast of the 1000u paired with my brilliant white 1.3 gain carada screen?

Hi-Def is where it's at
post #27 of 127 Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a defective projector, or source.

I have nothing like that.
post #28 of 127 Old 06-09-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

What are the differences in the pic modes? I like Cinema 2, it looks most accurate to me but just not sure why. Why do you guys pick the settings you do? Thanks.
post #29 of 127 Old 06-10-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

OK, AVS Forum Members: Lets get the most out of our projector

Current settings:

[size=5]Cinema 1 mode:

Contrast: +10
Brightness: -2
Color Temp: -4

Advanced Menu:

Gamma Low = +5

I've been your settings for a couple days now. I like them, but something just isn't right. I had calibrated my projector with the Avia test disk and was using Cinema 1. Your settings are just too dark for me and there's something else wrong, but I can't quite figure out what it could be?? I want to say that HD images look "soft" now, but I don't know why they would? I like the skin tones much better with your settings. Shadow detail is also better with your settings. Do you have any suggestions that might be a middle of the road between your's and mine? Or, do you have any ideas of what I should change?

My old settings were:

Contrast: +15
Brightness: +5
Color Temp: 0
Advanced Menu:
Gamma Low = 0

I am using a Firehawk G3 screen (2.35 with a Prismasonic HE lens)

I do not know how to set Gamma, so it was 0 before. (I don't even know what the heck Gamma does)
post #30 of 127 Old 06-10-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been your settings for a couple days now. I like them, but something just isn't right. I had calibrated my projector with the Avia test disk and was using Cinema 1. Your settings are just too dark for me and there's something else wrong, but I can't quite figure out what it could be?? I want to say that HD images look "soft" now, but I don't know why they would? I like the skin tones much better with your settings. Shadow detail is also better with your settings. Do you have any suggestions that might be a middle of the road between your's and mine? Or, do you have any ideas of what I should change?

My old settings were:

Contrast: +15
Brightness: +5
Color Temp: 0
Advanced Menu:
Gamma Low = 0

I am using a Firehawk G3 screen (2.35 with a Prismasonic HE lens)

I do not know how to set Gamma, so it was 0 before. (I don't even know what the heck Gamma does)

What starting settings?

If Cinema 1
all you have to do is change color temp, and raise gamma low, to get similar effects.

You can keep your other settings
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page