New RS1 Very Odd Behavior - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just got my RS1 today and set it up. At first it worked well but after trying it with my HTPC (a quite new HP with an NVidia HDMI card), it started to behave badly. It would flash and blink and the picture would often just go away (even with other inputs such as DVD or DirecTV). During these times, I could not even bring up the menu on the PJ. Once I could not even shut it down, even with the button on the PJ itself.

I was also seeing a yellow kind of posterization in the images. This made me think HDMI issues, except for two things (1) I have been running a DLP projector for weeks with the same cables, sources, etc. (2) I tried the DVD player with a very short cable direct to the PJ and saw the same issues.

Now, for some reason, for the past 2 hours it has been fine - everything works and looks great.

Has anybody seen anything like this? I am a bit concerned and will talk to Jason tomorrow about it.

Thanks

For every complex problem there is an answer
that is clear, simple, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-10-2007, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Sounds like HDMI issues. My Toshiba A2 freezes up (where only way I can shut it down is by shutting off the power on my power center) and my AVM50 has some quirks in it, though only audio related.

Never had any of those type issues with my PJ, but I never tried to connect a PC via HDMI, either.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like HDMI issues. My Toshiba A2 freezes up (where only way I can shut it down is by shutting off the power on my power center) and my AVM50 has some quirks in it, though only audio related.

Never had any of those type issues with my PJ, but I never tried to connect a PC via HDMI, either.

That was my first thought as well - but this card is designed with an HDMI port and built for Video/HTPC and worked great with the Sammy DLP. Plus the failure to fix the issue with a normal DVD and short cable makes me wonder if it was HDMI related. Is there any way HDMI will stay messed up after a shutdown and restart and source change?

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #4 of 10 Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes, a power off on my AVM50 is not enough to get audio back. I have to disconnect power/shut down on power center. Also, my A2 wont power off without cutting power to it.

If you get it again, shut off the power to the projector. If that works when the others dont, it sounds like HDMI to me.

In my experience, once a device is having HDMI issues, all sorts of operational issues seem normal.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

What kind of HDMI cables are they (brand, length)? In another RS1 thread, the subject of hdmi cables came up, and I mentioned my problem with an HDMI cable between PS3 and LCD TV. When I swapped it for a better quality cable, the problem went away. The "bad" cable works perfectly fine in almost all other setups and is now performing flawlessly between my DVR and Plasma TV.

Did you use the same cable when hooking up the DVD player? If it's a different cable, is it the same brand? The HDMI cable may not be the issue here, but if it's something you can try switching out fairly easily, I would try it... especially if you are consistently getting problems when hooking up with your current cables... if it's NOT the cables, you'll still have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDAstro View Post

I just got my RS1 today and set it up. At first it worked well but after trying it with my HTPC (a quite new HP with an NVidia HDMI card), it started to behave badly. It would flash and blink and the picture would often just go away (even with other inputs such as DVD or DirecTV). During these times, I could not even bring up the menu on the PJ. Once I could not even shut it down, even with the button on the PJ itself.

I was also seeing a yellow kind of posterization in the images. This made me think HDMI issues, except for two things (1) I have been running a DLP projector for weeks with the same cables, sources, etc. (2) I tried the DVD player with a very short cable direct to the PJ and saw the same issues.

Now, for some reason, for the past 2 hours it has been fine - everything works and looks great.

Has anybody seen anything like this? I am a bit concerned and will talk to Jason tomorrow about it.

Thanks

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2007, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
the joy of htpc, and hdmi. one reason i never went there( and i'm not very computer skilled either to be honnest).

but damn if we had just hd sdi and no hdcp issues, weak connector etc

your JVC is fine. it's the sce that's the issue and the hdmi in general which causes lots of various troubles.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE:

It is dead. I should be able to call up the menu without any source or even cable plugged into it (except for power, of course). It still flickers and will not call up the menu.

It is going back tomorrow.

Crap - I get to wait another week and spend more bucks on shipping.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #8 of 10 Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM

Mine is about a week old. Today after getting the wrong 159" hp screen (sent me white case instead of black) I went to see how the image looked and my RS1 wouldn't throw an image. It would start up and you could see the bulb inside the lens on its super low startup mode but it never got going to project an image and didn't respond to multiple off buttons etc. After 15 minutes I had to unplug the unit. After doing some work and coming back a couple hours later it started up and seems to be running fine. I thought I've seen someone else post about this happening as well but this thread was closest I could find.

Kevin W.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-19-2007, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got my replacement from AVS Monday and connected it Tuesday. So far it seems to be fine with all inputs - hope it stays that way as I permanent mounted it yesterday!

One interesting thing is that with the first one, my HTPC NVidia control panel did not show "JVC RS1" but something cryptic and a different set of available refresh rates (although 60 hz was there and what I used). The new one shows JVC RS1 as it should as well as the correct suite of refresh rates. Not sure if this was a symptom or a cause of the problem with the first one.

H. L. Mencken

Galaxy Theater
post #10 of 10 Old 07-19-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the update...please keep me posted on your findings but I think from our conversations you should be good to go.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page