Optoma HD81-LV Discussion/Reviews - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 493 Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so if my sixth HD81 (the third LV) fails these are the projectors currently under consideration ... Sim2 HT380, Sim2 HT5000 Host and the Marantz VP11S1. If I go with either of the latter two I'll be off the $3000 and up threads! Hopefully the LV replacement will work faultlessly and I won't have to make the move, but I'll be taking a very close look at CES next month anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 493 Old 12-03-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
MCB,

Without a doubt I would buy a Panasonic 2000 and a VXD processor. I really think the power zoom lens is something I would like to have. Switching between 4x3 and 16x9 I could use the whole 4x3 screen. Panasonic builds for its customer base; Optoma has not figured out whether they are a high end device manufacturer or a mainline supplier. The experience with the 81 and the ensuing bad press may wreck their future in the US.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #273 of 493 Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Art,

So when are you going to switch, or are you going to await the final death throws of the LV and have some kind of sending off ceremony for it ... perhaps throwing it over a cliff edge or a sacrificial burning at the stake? You may be better off trying to sell it on ebay, while it still operates!

Cheers!

MCB
post #274 of 493 Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 PM

Ok guys. I've been building up my dedicated media room. The speakers are now installed, SMX material ready for up to 108" wide screen. Waiting till last to get the projector (hoping for every little bit of price drop). I'm sold on DLP and really like the separate projector/processor of the LV81-LV. First MrHiFi's horror stories followed by others in this thread... Now MCBRacer on a 6th unit ....

Now What? I can't afford to go up from the LV's price point. What would you guys do now if you were just ready to buy a projector?

Thanks
Bryan
post #275 of 493 Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Warren allowed me to upgrade to a LV with the last failure that I had with the HD81. So far so good. Although, I noticed that the zoom is a little different. I cannot get the same size image as I was getting with the HD81 with the projectors in the same location.

I would guess it went from 10' across to 9' across.

I am getting my new SMX screen delivered today so I will be putting that up (hopefully before the Vikings tonite) and then moving the projector back to fill up the new screen size.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #276 of 493 Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys... Observed some troubling issues last night that I would like to run by you.

The Star Wars movies have THX optimizers. No matter what I tried I could not resolve the level differences in the white field. One is supposed to see eight boxes of varying brightness. I saw one big white field.

I use a Pioneer Elite DV-09 that puts out 480i via component to the VXD's YPrPb input. After rumming the contrast and brightness up and down, changing the video level to 7.5, adjusting gamma down, I saw no change. The movie showed a loss of detail in bright images.

When I went to look at the USER setting for COLOR Vividness, I found Green and CYAN were totally saturated making the divisions between levels indistinguishable in the color chart (IRE Level Chart) at the top of the window through the middle and upper ranges. I Magenta and Blue were good until the highest ranges. I tried playing with the saturation levels but that just destroyed the color balance.

Please take a look guys. BTW, I sent back both my HD and BD players. Too many audio issues. I received the Integra but I am still running video dirctly to the VXP.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #277 of 493 Old 12-19-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How is the black level on these compared to the RS1 when set to equivalent light output by using the iris?
post #278 of 493 Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post

How is the black level on these compared to the RS1 when set to equivalent light output by using the iris?

Best CR is 4000:1 max, probably high 3K's. Not as good as JVC, but better
ANSI, mixed field contrast is great, good 3D pop that I feel DLP does best.

I was not overly impressed with the RS1, convergence error, softer, lacking
in depth, even though the blacks are very good. I don't like Ruby or Pearl
either. This is of course VERY subjective, but ANSI difference is real.
post #279 of 493 Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'm a black level nut so that's the most important thing for me.
post #280 of 493 Old 12-20-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to reply to own reply, but I have to say that upon re-reading the reviews I'm a tad surprised that the contrast and blacks are that limited, especially when the HD81 was supposed to have OK blacks.

I was thinking that a projector as bright as the HD81-LV would be ideal for stopping down via an iris (or an ND filter), especially after the ProjectorReview review said such nice things with the iris open.

But if you are only getting 4K or so at minimum iris (less than my current PJ) and with Optoma's stellar reputation for reliability and service (yes, as former HD7300 owner I am being sarcastic) I guess I'll leap back to searching for an RS1.
post #281 of 493 Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve,

Like you, I used to revel in inky blacks. My reference TV's were the Proton 25" CRT Monitors of the mid '80's and the Sony ProFeel 25" system that used the same tube the Pro monitor's used. I resisted moving to flat panel TV's and projectors because off the dismal black's. I used 3 gun CRT projectors for 20 years and became acclimated to their performance. Until DLP's came along, other technologies turned me off.

The HD81-LV produces excellent black levels. One must fiddle a lot if one wishes to see images in darker areas but after a while, even the ships hidden in the fog at the beginning of "Master and Commander" become apparent. Simply put, the picture one sees after one plays with the controls and adjustments is second to none in my humbe opinion. As far as looking at a 3 chip unit, I think that is just a very bad idea. Unless you experienced convergence error before, you have no idea how troublesome it can be. The RS1 is replete with convergence anomalies.

For the time being my LV is stable and has been glitch free. Knock on Wood!!

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #282 of 493 Old 12-20-2007, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I agree about convergence error, don't want to go back to that after my 13
years of CRT projection. The best single chip DLP's aren't doing much more
than 4,000:1, but they look incredible with mixed field scenes. It's full field
blacks that won't look CRT like.

The JVC does full field blacks well, but no comparison to CRT. Also, the lens
on the JVC is not too great. If accurate colors are important, the JVC is not
a good choice.

I would recommend you audition some single chip DLP's like the InFocus IN82,
BenQ 10000, Sharp 20000(but not great lumens), Sim HT380, Marantz 15S1.
Some of these cost more than the JVC, but the optics are superior, they
resolve every pixel, have high ANSI contrast and some offer better control of color
primaries and secondaries vs. the JVC which is what you see is what you get.
(Oversaturated)
post #283 of 493 Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas or whatever brand you subscribe to thistime of the year. I received the Integra 9.8 and am blown away. I have not connected video yet but the audio is quite amazing. The Audessy works. Canceled dmy order for the 5000 because it appears to be full of bugs. I'm still using my 10 year old Elite DV-09 aibut keep hoping something comes along trhat will bitstream the new codecs and do Dual mode.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #284 of 493 Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

I started having another problem with the LV. This one occurs when I am watching an HD movie using my PS3 which is set to 1080p and connected through HDMI. I'll have an image for a couple seconds then it will say "no signal" for a few seconds, then say that it is synchronizing. It just keeps repeating through this cycle. Strangely, if I switch to the HDMI input where my cable box (set at 1080i) is connected, watch for a minute or so then switch back to the PS3, everything is fine.

This projector has an amazing image, but boy is it tempermental.

Has anyone noticed a similar problem?

Thanks & happy holidays to all!

Joe
post #285 of 493 Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Joe,

I had issues with an XA2 and a BDPS300 that were similar.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #286 of 493 Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it's some sort of periodic HDCP handshake tripping things up?
post #287 of 493 Old 12-20-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas or whatever brand you subscribe to thistime of the year. I received the Integra 9.8 and am blown away. I have not connected video yet but the audio is quite amazing. The Audessy works. Canceled dmy order for the 5000 because it appears to be full of bugs. I'm still using my 10 year old Elite DV-09 aibut keep hoping something comes along trhat will bitstream the new codecs and do Dual mode.

Hi Art,

Merry Christmas to you as well! I'm glad the Integra is working well for you.
I got a call from my online vendor that I ordered the Samsung 5000 from back
in August. They were ready to ship today, but had a note on my account to
not deliver next week since I'll be out of town. They offered to ship FedEx P1, but I'm just not in a hurry to go backwards with the crippled state of
this combo player, I'd rather watch and see if firmware updates are forthcoming. Frustrating to wait so long for the player only to want to delay
delivery because of all the bugs. Samsung should be ashamed at how they
delivered these early units. My Gen 1 HD DVD player is doing fine.
post #288 of 493 Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fontana View Post

Maybe it's some sort of periodic HDCP handshake tripping things up?

Hi Mark & merry Christmas,

Hmmm, interesting. I looked for some HDMI doc that might address anything similar. I found this troubleshooting information in a document at hdmi.org:

"Doing things too fast can lead to blinking video. When your HDMI transmitter drives an HDMI
receiver, always mute before changing signal timing and un-mute afterwards. Allow the HDMI
receiver some time to detect mute and process the timing change before you remove mute. DVI
sources must cease transmission and re-authenticate only after signal timing stabilizes and the
receiver has had time to recover. The HDCP circuits in most sinks require stable timing in order
to function properly."

The document is geared for people designing hardware. I'm not sure how one would mute video. That could explain why switching to another HDMI input and then back would fix things.

Joe
post #289 of 493 Old 12-22-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been running a PS3 into my HD81-LV at 1080p with no issues except for
one shutdown when I paused a game. I have not tried 24p via a Blu Ray disc
yet.

I also took my HD seamless switcher/scaler, an Analog Way Di-Ventix, which
is a $17K box, and connected it to the HD81-LV via DVI to HDMI and set the
Di-VentiX output to 1080/60p. I used a Panasonic DVC Pro HD deck outputting
720p and 1080i at various frame rates via HD SDI into the Di-VentiX.

Amazingly, the HD81-LV had no issues whatsoever, of course the processor
doesn't need to do much when receiving 1080/60p.

The coolest thing I did was burn HD DVD material from DVC Pro HD in Final
Cut Pro onto a DVD-R using a Mac Powerbook standard DVD burner. The
footage was encoded via MPEG2 and played back perfectly on my Toshiba
A1 HD DVD player. I could not easily see a difference between camera master
tape and DVD-R disc encoded with HD DVD MPEG 2 stream.
post #290 of 493 Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone looked at my comment a few messages back? If not, here it is again.

Hi guys... Observed some troubling issues last night that I would like to run by you.

The Star Wars movies have THX optimizers. No matter what I tried I could not resolve the level differences in the white field. One is supposed to see eight boxes of varying brightness. I saw one big white field.

I use a Pioneer Elite DV-09 that puts out 480i via component to the VXD's YPrPb input. After rumming the contrast and brightness up and down, changing the video level to 7.5, adjusting gamma down, I saw no change. The movie showed a loss of detail in bright images.

When I went to look at the USER setting for COLOR Vividness, I found Green and CYAN were totally saturated making the divisions between levels indistinguishable in the color chart (IRE Level Chart) at the top of the window through the middle and upper ranges. I Magenta and Blue were good until the highest ranges. I tried playing with the saturation levels but that just destroyed the color balance.

Please take a look guys. BTW, I sent back both my HD and BD players. Too many audio issues. I received the Integra but I am still running video directly to the VXP.

I would appreciate it if someone would look at the issue I discussed above. I tried to watch Roy Orbison's "Black and White Nights". The facial details wash out. It is as iff there is too much contrast but lowering the contrast or even adjusting the saturation and hue at the different levels of Color Vividness does not help.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #291 of 493 Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I received my A35 and a BD30 yesterday. Now, I will be able to connect the two HD players through the Integra 9.8 and get all the advanced audio codecs decoded by the 9.8.
BTW, I figured out a way to get 6 HDMI inputs working. By routing 3 HDMI inputs which also carry audio through the VXD (the Comcast DVR and the 2 players) and to HDMI input 4 of the 9.8, I can use the VXD remote to switch between the 3 inputs and the correct audio decoding will be selected by the 9.8. If I want to watch the HDMI from my 2 LG DVR's, I select one of the three remaining HDMI 9.8 inputs. The audio comes in via one of two optical inputs from the LG's. In setup, one ties these to the appropriate HDMI input. The analog stuff, like satellite receivers, turntables, cassette decks, R to R decks, laser disk players, etc. go into other Audio and Video inputs on the 9.8. Amazing!!!! This controller's Audessy system is amazing.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #292 of 493 Old 01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I lost the LV yesterday. After a call to Warren, he suggested a new bulb. He was right. New bulb got rid of the green shift I had observed and brought back the incredible picture I remembered. FWIW, the bulb failure manifested itself as follows. For a week, I prior, the unit would turn off after booting up and producing a normal picture for 20-30 sec. Then it would shut itself off. After a few tries with blower on high, it would work. Yesterday, it would not. What have we learned? ...Bulb failure can occur even when the bulb lights. I had only 1049 hours on the bulb.

The HD81-LV will not run 24fps unless the player is capable of operating in "forced 24 fps" mode. Neither Toshiba nor Panasonic have any plans to upgrade the A35 and BD30 software to provide this capability. Future players will not have this capability. We are SOL.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #293 of 493 Old 01-28-2008, 02:27 AM

I recently purchased/had installed had an HD81-LV by a custom CEDIA installer. My projector shuts down intermittenly while on. It seems to mainly occur while accessing the menu option of my cable box or when going from a Hi Def channel to a regular channel. It does not shut down during DVD's. He has already replaced the complete system once and has contacted Optoma for assistance with the problem to no avail. I love the picture and would hate to have to return it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #294 of 493 Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Have your installer reconnect your system using component connections from your cable box. I have endured terrible sync issues with my own system. Basically, the HDMI of the LV does not appear to merge well with newer devices' HDMI connections. My older (4 years) LG products with DVI outputs work beautifully with the LV; but, my new Motorola cable box/DVR and the A35 and B30 players are finnicky and one has to be patient waiting for a handshake. The latest Comcast/motorola HD DVR, tuner and the Integra .8 controller often must be restarted and resynced after a loss of connection. Try the component connection scheme. I am getting ready t change my cable box to component because every time I switch channels or resolutions or bring up a menu, it can take minutes to resync. HATE HDCP. BTW, since I put the new bulb in, I have not sufferd a single undesired turn off. That is progress.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #295 of 493 Old 01-28-2008, 06:24 AM

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I could be wrong, but I think he did change the connection to component and we are still having a problem. Could that be possible? How would I know if he hooked it up correctly this way? Would buying a different DVR, such as TIVO HD, help the situation? Also, could you elaborate on what you mean by the "new bulb". My unit is brand new, so is the bulb you are referring to different than the one that came with the unit?
post #296 of 493 Old 01-28-2008, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I recently swapped my Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player for an HD-A35. I have been looking forward to watching a 1080/24P source for a long time. Here are
my findings:

1080/24P does not work, nothing happens when the LV is put into Film Mode 48Hz.

Film Mode 48Hz does not work in 1080/60P either.

The only time I see any effect with Film Mode 48Hz is in 1080/60i.

1080/60P has been working well with the LV, no issues, but Fim Mode 48Hz is
useless with progressive inputs from the A35 and even if it did work, the LBX
mode defeats it, so not possible to watch with anamorphic lens, although a
forum member has come up with a workaround for that, but it's a moot point
with the A35.

Has anybody had success with a 1080/24P source and the LV in Film Mode 48Hz mode?
post #297 of 493 Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace7123 View Post

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I could be wrong, but I think he did change the connection to component and we are still having a problem. Could that be possible? How would I know if he hooked it up correctly this way? Would buying a different DVR, such as TIVO HD, help the situation? Also, could you elaborate on what you mean by the "new bulb". My unit is brand new, so is the bulb you are referring to different than the one that came with the unit?

The reference to the bulb was not intended for you...sorry. If it is shutting off even on component, you have a bad LV. Be sure to check the obvious like connections but frankly it is most likely screwed up.

Ace, My Comcast/Motorola HD DVR has a terrible time. I've found that the DVR changes settings while connecting via HDMI. Check to make sure yours is set on 16x9, HDMI 1080i, Override Off.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #298 of 493 Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,

You didn't read all my comments regarding the A35? Mine, like yours will not force 24 fps. I called Toshiba and they said there was no way they would ever install forced 24 fps so I guess we are screwed. By the Way, same holds true for the Panasonic BD30.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #299 of 493 Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I notice that I contributed the last few posts here. Have you all desrted your HD81-LV's.

On a more serious note, I lost a second bulb at 238 hours. Red lamp that is supposed to light did not. Instead Power and Fan went solid red. Apparently, that is the designation for bulb failure. I had a spare so I installed it and back to normal. My thanks to Warren who is sending me a replacement for the burned out bulb. So far, I have not come close to the 2K hour expected life. This bulb failure issue makes me wonder if I will be able to afford replacement bulbs every couple of months. Let's hope things improve.

On the 24 fps issue...In response to an email I placed to the web site re. the lack of HD players that "force" 24 fps, I received a call from Mr. Davis who works for Warren. He said that both the PS3 and the Sony 300 engage 48Hz mode. These are the only players that do so. Ufortunately, the PS3 is a game machine and the 300 is no longer available. My 300 froze up and failed shortly after I bought it. The replacement A35 and BD30 devices will not talk to the LV. subsequently, I spoke to Warren again about this isue and pointed out how I felt Optoma was suffering in the marketplace because of this. He said dhe would again raise the issue with upper management.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #300 of 493 Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I am still here. Just lurking because I have no problems and at this point, no advice other than thank goodness the bulbs are free for the first year with the LV.

I will check the hours on my lamp tonight and report in.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page