Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 493 Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk110 View Post

Seems like people are having a lot of problems....

The HD81 and HD81LV are now obsoleted from Optoma website so that tells us something....
Funny thing is that today, their website show no 1080p projectors under HOME THEATER anymore ?

I have had an 720p Optoma for about 5yrs without any problems whatsoever.
I am used to watching 2.35:1 letterbox movies using an Anamorphic lens. Now I want to switch to 1080p. I have a ~140" dia screen at about ~16 ft with the projector suspended from the ceiling. I was gonna look at picking up an 81 or 81LV until I read this thread.

Panasonic PT-AE4000U comes to mind but it does not seem to support automatic masking control on seeing 2.35:1 incoming format.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an under $5k budget?

Perhaps an Optoma 8600? (As it has the LBX mode for people using external Anamorphic lens like myself)

Hey tk,

PM sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 493 Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi Everyone,

Just a note to let everyone know that I lost another bulb at 1800 hours after about a year and a quarter of use. The replacement arrived broken so I need another one.

My 81-LV continues to whine on. Keep wishing it would die but it is hard to give up on the magnificent picture. If it just weren't so noisy.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #453 of 493 Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 AM

Glad your HD81 is still alive. Mine too. Great picture and very reliable once the bugs were worked out. I just went through my first bulb! Is there a reset on the controller that needs to be done? I replaced the bulb but the projector refuses to come out of standby.

Also, I ordered two bulbs for $185 each on line. The build quality of the housings seems poor. There are two small screws that mount the bulb and on on of the replacement bulbs they stick out about 1/16 of an inch. Could cause a scratch on the glass in the projector or in my case prevent the bulb from fitting snugly in the slot.

Anyhow, great to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and your family.
post #454 of 493 Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi John,

I paid about the same. It took 2 tries before I received a working bulb. Hope these are not factory seconds. The first housing had a broken piece of plastic at the point where the male connectors fit into the female projector connectors. The second bulb is bright but not as bright as the one I took out.

it is has been nice hearing from you.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #455 of 493 Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

Hi John,

I paid about the same. It took 2 tries before I received a working bulb. Hope these are not factory seconds. The first housing had a broken piece of plastic at the point where the male connectors fit into the female projector connectors. The second bulb is bright but not as bright as the one I took out.

it is has been nice hearing from you.

I got two bulbs. Neither seems to work. The pj just will not come out of standby. Blue light on controller red on pj. I am guessing that the bulbs cannot test with a vom. All three read opens.

I moved the bulb from the housing with the protruding screws and put it in the old housing. Still no good.

I have a call into the folks who are servicing for Optoma. I expect a message soon. Probably have to send it in.

Btw what pj would you replace the HD81 with today? It looks like I'll be building another theater in about a year in a house we are having built in Park City Utah. Would you consider a Runco now that they are under $20,000?
John
post #456 of 493 Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntkeller View Post

I got two bulbs. Neither seems to work. The pj just will not come out of standby. Blue light on controller red on pj. I am guessing that the bulbs cannot test with a vom. All three read opens.

I moved the bulb from the housing with the protruding screws and put it in the old housing. Still no good.

I have a call into the folks who are servicing for Optoma. I expect a message soon. Probably have to send it in.

Btw what pj would you replace the HD81 with today? It looks like I'll be building another theater in about a year in a house we are having built in Park City Utah. Would you consider a Runco now that they are under $20,000?
John

Hi John,

There must be an ill wind blowing over this area John. Tried to turn mine on and nothing happens except that I get the red light that changes to a blue light at the VXD and the projector red light stays red with no bulb light, power, fan or color wheel. System is dead. My wife says this is this is how it acts when the bulb dies but I do not think so. This bulb has less than 25 hours on it. This is the second bulb from this vendor. First bulb arrived broken.

Would someone please reply?

I am leaning towards a flat panel because of the hasttle.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #457 of 493 Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes you need to reset the bulb hour counter.
It gives you a warning period of about 100 hours during which it will still turn on.
After that, it won't turn on and you have to do it blind.
The counter is in the processor, not in the projector itself.
I don't use my processor anymore since it broke. It has been nearly two years, but IIRC the one time I did reset the counter I did so by substituting a tv (actually a computer monitor) into the HDMI port that would normally run to the projector, but I left the rs-232 line connected to the projector. That let me see the menus so I could reset the counter. At least that's what I think happened...

FWIW, I bought 6 bulbs for about $600 total off ebay a year or two ago. They came from hong kong and they had slightly different part numbers than the original bulb and they might be be knock-offs, I don't know how to tell. But so far I've run through two of them and got roughly 3000 hours out of each with no complaints at all. I have not inspected all of them, but the three I've opened so far have been pristine, they even came with cheapo gloves in each lamp box to keep skin grease from getting on the bulbs during replacement.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #458 of 493 Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Jerry, can you please explain how you have your projector set up when not using the processor?

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #459 of 493 Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

That interests me too since mine just broke completely. When I push the power switch on the VXD, the projector fails to light or react at all. I sent in my $110.00 pre payment and am waiting for an RMA number.

John Keller, I think mine caught whatever your is doing.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #460 of 493 Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That interests me too since mine just broke completely. When I push the power switch on the VXD, the projector fails to light or react at all. I sent in my $110.00 pre payment and am waiting for an RMA number.

John Keller, I think mine caught whatever your is doing.

Art, are you going to send your projector in too?

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #461 of 493 Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I probably will. I talked to the new service manager who offered to also look into the color wheel "whine" problem that is the major reason for my unhappiness over the last 4 years.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #462 of 493 Old 09-25-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Jerry, can you please explain how you have your projector set up when not using the processor?

I reverse engineered enough of the protocol on the rs-232 line between the processor and the projector to write some software for my computer to turn the projector on and off and upload a copy of the color profile that had been calibrated with the processor. The projector itself supports 1080p and (I think) 800x600 - all I need is the 1080p.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #463 of 493 Old 09-25-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds exactly like what mine did when the bulb counter got too high.
You should at least plug a tv or something into the VXD (and leave the rs232 connected to the projector) and see if you get anything.

post #464 of 493 Old 09-26-2010, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

I reverse engineered enough of the protocol on the rs-232 line between the processor and the projector to write some software for my computer to turn the projector on and off and upload a copy of the color profile that had been calibrated with the processor. The projector itself supports 1080p and (I think) 800x600 - all I need is the 1080p.

That sounds like a perfect solution to my bad processor. Would you be willing to share the protocol?

Thanks

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #465 of 493 Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

To those of you contemplating a return to Optoma for repair...I sent mine in almost 2.5 weeks ago. Last Friday, they began their evaluation. Forget quick turnarounds.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #466 of 493 Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

That sounds like a perfect solution to my bad processor. Would you be willing to share the protocol?

I'll put my notes and source code up in a few days.

post #467 of 493 Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

That sounds exactly like what mine did when the bulb counter got too high.
You should at least plug a tv or something into the VXD (and leave the rs232 connected to the projector) and see if you get anything.

Hi Jerry,

Are you saying that if I connect a TV or monitor with an HDMI input to the HDMI VXD HDMI output that normally goes to the projector, I will see a picture if the VXD is functioning? I never tried that but will in the future if i ever get it back. I use an Integra 9.9 before the VXD and that gives me a second HDMI output in case I want to have another TV on line. That gives me 6 HDMI inputs to choose from, 4 on the 9.9 and 2 of the 3 HDMI inputs on the VXD. The 3rd HDMI input of the VXD is the one I use for the 9.9's output. I tried using the loop through of the VXD but copy protection crap screws it up making loop through worthless.

I am hoping they can fix the whine in the color wheel. While the projector has bee in California, I was given a 46" Samsung 3D with a 3D BluRay and glasses. The picture is breathtakingly beautiful and realistic. Forgetting about the 3D which works perfectly, the 2D picture transports you into the scene making you feel as if you are on the set filming the action.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #468 of 493 Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

It has been over 5 weeks since I sent my projector in for repair. I cannot get a response from anyone. They all say they will return my calls but they never do. I'm not sure what to do. $7,000.00 and 6 repairs later, I am sure of only one thing...I will never buy another Optoma anything. This company is the worse run place I have ever dealt with.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #469 of 493 Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I must be really slow in the brain. All this time I have been trying to make use of the controller for the 81-LV. I never thought of bypasing it completely. Last night I turned on the scaler in the Denon receiver that I am using and told it to output everything in 1080P. I then connected the projector directly to the Denon. Everything is working perfectly and I hate to say it but the image is much better coming directly from the Denon. So the only cable that I have, other than power, coming out of the controller is the serial cable for control to the projector.

I am happy once again.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #470 of 493 Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi everyone,

I received my repaired unit and I am thrilled. The horriffic color wheel noise I suffered with for over 2 years is gone. They repaired everything andd addressed all my complaints. I have a quiet unit (28 dB at 1 meter). Even the response of the iris has been improved. They installed an upper and lower case assembly and a new color wheel assembly. It works perfectly. I am a happy camper. If fthe original unit and the repaired units had worked this well, I would have been a proud owner. Maybe there wer some upgrades that addressed the iris, noise and blue screen issues. So far, not one glitch.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #471 of 493 Old 11-07-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear it Art!!! Finally!!!

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #472 of 493 Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Although it took almost a month and a half to get this resolved, the techs, and Robert Sarrau treated me very well. Warren also helped me out. Hope this lasts a while. I have a new bulb in it also.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #473 of 493 Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Good morning, Art, a quick question, if you don't mind. I've just bought this off ebay, with some trepidation given the info contained in the later posts on this topic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_877wt_1136

Would you mind posting a short update on you experiences with the repaired projector since last November? Thanks very much. Cordially,
post #474 of 493 Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills View Post

Good morning, Art, a quick question, if you don't mind. I've just bought this off ebay, with some trepidation given the info contained in the later posts on this topic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_877wt_1136

Would you mind posting a short update on you experiences with the repaired projector since last November? Thanks very much. Cordially,

My unit has worked flawlessly since last November. I am enjoying my projector at last. I have almost no noise at low fan. I have had no blue screens at all. You were fortunate to get an LV for $1,200.00.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #475 of 493 Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a note to let all my fellow owners that I just had to replace the bulb that Optoma put in 1040 hours ago, last fall. My repaired HD81-LV continues to perform beautifully. I am thrilled after 5 years.

Addendum: After replacing the bulb, in the middle of a very hot day, the projector continued to shut down. I turned on ceiling fans and redirected air to the projector. All is well again.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #476 of 493 Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi guys,

After a year of very good performance, the HD81-LV is doing the same thing again. It will not turn on at all. Press the red light on the controller, it turns blue but projector will not start. Every so often it will start but as time passes the start-ups are few and far between. Thinking about giving up.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #477 of 493 Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear that Art.

As it turns out, I will have 2 of these units for sale shortly as I have moved and I am unable to get the picture big enough with this projector to fit my new screen.

So if you have any interest, let me know.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #478 of 493 Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate the idea of tearing up my existing space to accommodate a new projector. I know we both have been to hell and back with these so I am kind of afraid of buying a bad unit. Having said that, may i call u to discuss? Please send number to aneilljr@comcast.net or call at 3013585140. Please give me a price and availability by phone or email.

I just put a bid on one on EBAY. Let's see if they agree.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #479 of 493 Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

The replacement refurbished projector I purchased from a reseller has failed in the same way as the original. I am so fed up with Optoma. If anyone reads this, never buy an Optoma projector.!!!

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #480 of 493 Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

The replacement refurbished projector I purchased from a reseller has failed in the same way as the original. I am so fed up with Optoma. If anyone reads this, never buy an Optoma projector.!!!
I've had an HD80 for almost five years, still has the original lamp, no issues at all. I would buy another new Optoma model which had the features I wanted.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP