Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yeah, Art, I agree with you. Even with my replacement lamp, I experience one unexpected shutdown on average per night. It is probably some capacitor that was not sized correctly and causing power supply problems. Also these Philips lamps are getting cheaper and cheaper looking. This "new" one takes substantially longer to warm up. I also don't think it is as bright as the last one. Timing problems, lousy EDID support (which means I have to force my BD player to do 1080p EVERY time I watch.

I've come to the conclusion that the CE companies involved in HDMI did a really poor job of defining a standard. The connector is crap, the cables are too thick, they are not robust and there are handshake issues. For example, my new computer with intel graphics REFUSES to connect to my Denon amp (which has nothing to do with Optoma smile.gif ).

Anyway, I have no intention of making my next projector an Optoma. I like the lens and the brightness is ok, colours are good, but the probability of unexpected shutdowns, mediocre contrast etc. mean I'm not happy with Optoma. A lot of the HD81 series are lemons and Optoma has just washed their hands of the problems, even though it is either their poor design or their decision to purchase low quality parts responsible for the issues.

Scott Stephens
Old 06-24-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Art, Scott, sorry to hear it. After going through over 15 HD-81's, HD81-LV's and an HD8000LV, I've just installed a Runco LS-3. The people at Optoma have been great, but I couldn't take it anymore and I was out of warranty, even though Optoma gave me a special concession.

I really liked the two-piece setup, brightness, features, but DI was useless, ditto 48hz. Now I have a hopefully reliable projector with accurate color and a near seamless DI. It's great to have great black levels, good optics(had to buy the short throw lens). The Runco is quieter, doesn't have the light leak issues. I think the LS-3 is the best DLP projector for the price point, even though it's really a 2008 Planar model.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Good to hear from you Jeff and Scott. As the founder of this thread, your abandonment of Optoma has special meaning. Like you, Optoma has bent over backwards helping out with expenses but after many units and multiple returns for repair, I am asking myself how much should we be expected to put up with before throwing the towel in. I bought a refurb from an internet re-seller several months ago to resolve the non turn on failure of my 81-LV. Replacing the VXD got it working and that lasted several months. I then replaced the original VXD back in and got another good month. Now, it can take up to an hour to start the projector. It is very depressing.

I am looking at the Panasonic AE-7000 but may try to wait for the 8000. I still use my 4x3 screen and the ability to use the power zoom would be great. Although the picture is superb, I am tired of being at war with it.

Jeff, good luck dear friend. We fought the good fight.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
Old 06-15-2013, 05:31 AM

hi there,im too now in the same boat as my processor has died as well,how did you still continue to use this projector via a computer just alone,ive had it for 6 years now without any problems.
if you could tell me how its done,will be much appreciated.
thanks jason.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Try unplugging the projector and/or the VXD. Also, a very hard blow on the top of the VXD has returned it to full operation. After a period of time, it will fail again but try repeating and see if it works. It has for me.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is interested I have 2 complete sets that I will be selling. One set works fine and the other controller does not pass video through it but the control works fine. If anyone is interested please send me a PM with an offer. I am willing to separate the 2 sets.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 PM

So I found this projector online here: http://www.products4salez.com/optoma-optoma-channelhd81lv-multimedia-projector-p-28417.html   and was wondering if I should snag it. I'm looking to start a home theater and I want a high performing projector but am on a very low budget. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 297
That is a scam website. I tried purchasing another projector and my money was refunded. I would imagine the site owner is hoping people pay through one of the offered services that the buyer can't get a refund back from. Because I used Paypal he refunded my money.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

That is a scam website. I tried purchasing another projector and my money was refunded. I would imagine the site owner is hoping people pay through one of the offered services that the buyer can't get a refund back from. Because I used Paypal he refunded my money.

Ok, thanks for the prompt feedback!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just an update on my post Optoma projector experience. My Runco LS-3 has been rock solid since June of 2012. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a projector that just does what I expect. The Optoma experience was the worst consumer electronics experience of my life. I'm so happy I finally moved on.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jeff,

I am still using the last unit Optoma sent me. The bulb has 4340 hours on it and it works perfectly. Must be the only one that worked. Good to hear you are alive and well.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's amazing Art! I didn't think that was possible with any HD-81 or HD81-LV! You deserve to have the one shining example of reliability and that's impressive bulb time! I just bought a new projector for our church--you can guess what brand I avoided. It's fantastic that we both finally have projectors that work as we expected and paid for. All the best to you!