Optoma HD81-LV Discussion/Reviews - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 493 Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I'm happier with the reds now. The tech said the color decoder was very accurate.
Color bars look great, but more importantly, real life looks much better. I had found a way
to change the reds with going into the Vivid Color user settings, but don't think it's necessary now.

When I had my HD81 calibrated to D65, it not only lost a lot of lumens, like my LV today,
but it looked desaturated. Not this LV, it still looks very rich and saturated but with
color points more accurate and very neutral gray scale tracking. It's much warmer than
it had been, with better detail in the whites. I am happy with the look, even if it's not
nearly as bright as it was. It was really too bright before and not accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 493 Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sweet, i cant wait for mine to arrive.

I sold my HD81 because the LV's were shipping and now it seems the LV are a few weeks out.

It sucks being projectorless
post #63 of 493 Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Jeff,

But what does it look like now?
Every attempt I have made adjusting this thing to agree with my so called dreference, produced lousy pictures but excellent numbers. I am back to the following settings for user
Red Contrast: +14
Green Contrast: -2
BlueContrast: +2
Red Brightness: 0
Green Brightness: 0
Blue Brightness: 0

Color: +10

Everything else on that page is 0 except Sharpness which I keep at 5.

On the second page everything is at 0 except Color Vividness which is at 3 and Edge Enhancement at 1. I now have Auto Gamma at off.

I have a question: If you leave it on 24 fps, what happens if you are watching 30 fps material?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #64 of 493 Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Art,

Here are the gain settings my tech used:

Green Contrast -12
Blue Contrast -10
Red Contrast 0
Green Brightness 0
Blue Brightness +2
Red Brightness 0

Color 0

There is very good saturation and I even backed color off
for my standard DVD player. Strangely, we had to leave
the SD DVD player in HDTV color space and he doesn't
want me to use Auto for color space on any source, so
everything is HDTV.

I'm not seeing luminance noise anymore now that the
projector isn't as bright.

He used a Tektronix HD waveform monitor to first check
sources for proper levels via component. He was impressed
by how much detail the LV resolved without any artifacts
from optics.

Like you, Art, I felt the LV was going plus green as my lamp
aged and I'm glad I waited until I got to around 115 hours
for calibration.

Auto gamma is off, as is Brilliant Color.

I need to spend more time with these settings, but I am
happy so far. It is definitely warmer overall.

As far as your question about 30p signals being fed when in Film Mode 48Hz,
I don't know since all of my sources are 60i until I get my Samsung combo player.
post #65 of 493 Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,

Your ratio of red to green is the same as mine. The blues could go +/- 5 without a major impact. Interesting, I think. Remember, I did mine with the CA-1 then tweaked it to arrive at what I typed in the last message. I find such variability that settings are almost meaningless. One setting that is relatively painless is the color temperature setting. The "standardized" settings using the CA-1 provided a picture that was too green. I tweaked things until the grayy looked gray on a stairstep gray scale setting pluge. With the 81 set on "warm" the top (light) bars look pink. On "Standard", they tend towards blue-green, on cool the whole thing is bluish. By using Contrast setting of 14, -2 and +2 for the R,G, and B and 0 for the others I get a perfect black and white stairstep. Try it and let me know please if fyou like it.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #66 of 493 Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 PM

I did talk to Jason as suggested, but he got me a bit scared about Optoma reliability. I have certainly read that the Optomas break down a lot. For those who have owned them before, what are your observations? Also, does anyone have any experience as to how long projectors shipped under the express warrantee take to arrive?
post #67 of 493 Old 09-05-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Reliability? I've replaced 4 HD81's and 1 LV. Yes, I was upset but the important point is that Warren, the service manager, overnighted every one to me. I agree that Optoma has a problem but frankly, this HD81-LV produces the finest images I have seen anywhere and that includes theaters. I bought the first Kloss Novabeam CRT and owned dseveral others and set up almost 60 projectors since the late 70's. The 81-LV is the cat's meow.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #68 of 493 Old 09-05-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprager View Post

I did talk to Jason as suggested, but he got me a bit scared about Optoma reliability. I have certainly read that the Optomas break down a lot. For those who have owned them before, what are your observations? Also, does anyone have any experience as to how long projectors shipped under the express warrantee take to arrive?

I'm very happy with my HD81 but I am 'upgrading' to the LV simply because it seems this model has overcome the only problem I have really had ... overheating, leading to blue screen. Even with an amazing cooling system (within the hush box), devised by my mega installer, I still have to run the PJ on High Altitude mode (and therefore higher fan noise), unless I keep the room temp. at almost refrigerator levels! I understand that the latest, standard, HD81's have also been sorted in this regard, but reports from Jeff Regan and MrHiFi (Art) regarding that extra bit of brightness, slightly better blacks, etc, etc, on the LV version, have convinced me to take to the upgrade path. Having said that, I'm going to Cedia tomorrow and who knows what I'll come across!
post #69 of 493 Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post

Yes, you must put the projector in Film Mode 48Hz at which point the 24 FPS is doubled.
It will not work when using vertical stretch(LBX, Auto 235) for 2:35:1 anamorphic display,
however.

Could the included scaler be "tricked" into providing 48hz in an anamorphic setup by doing the anamorphic stretch with another scaler? I will be using an Anthem D2 regardless of which projector I will ultimately choose. I liked the original HD81 at last year's CEDIA, then got scared away by the horror stories on this thread and decided I would go with the RS1 instead. But since my 2.35:1 screen will be 10 ft. wide, the extra lumens from the HD81-LV make Optoma seem very attractive again.
post #70 of 493 Old 09-07-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

Could the included scaler be "tricked" into providing 48hz in an anamorphic setup by doing the anamorphic stretch with another scaler? I will be using an Anthem D2 regardless of which projector I will ultimately choose. I liked the original LD81 at last year's CEDIA, then got scared away by the horror stories on this thread and decided I would go with the RS1 instead. But since my 2.35:1 screen will be 10 ft. wide, the extra lumens from the LD80-LV make Optoma seem very attractive again.

I have a 10 ft wide 2.35:1 (panamorph 380) and i would suggest you reconsider the LV. I had the HD81 and it did a wonderful job but am upgrading to the LV so i can keep that level of brightness for a longer period of time (before having to replace bulbs). (plus all the other benefits that come with the LV). I just passed through the HD81 system and used my D2 for the processing and switching as well and it worked great.
post #71 of 493 Old 09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBRacer View Post

I'm very happy with my HD81 but I am 'upgrading' to the LV simply because it seems this model has overcome the only problem I have really had ... overheating, leading to blue screen. Even with an amazing cooling system (within the hush box), devised by my mega installer, I still have to run the PJ on High Altitude mode (and therefore higher fan noise), unless I keep the room temp. at almost refrigerator levels! I understand that the latest, standard, HD81's have also been sorted in this regard, but reports from Jeff Regan and MrHiFi (Art) regarding that extra bit of brightness, slightly better blacks, etc, etc, on the LV version, have convinced me to take to the upgrade path. Having said that, I'm going to Cedia tomorrow and who knows what I'll come across!

Let us know what you find at Cedia I coudlnt make it down but the stuff ive been reading sounds pretty interesting.
post #72 of 493 Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Just wondering if anyone has tried a HTPC at 1080P on this PJ. We, (meaning its not my pj) got one in this week but so far it will not work at 1080P with Vista. Vista was installed again, tried three different video cards, and it just doesn't work, and no we aren't new at this.

I saw in the HD81 thread some having problems but they never seem to say what happen. It kind of works with XP but everything else is grayed out but 1080P, but XP isn't going to be used anyway. I'm pretty sure nothing else has been over looked, but just thought I'd ask just in case someone has tried it.

Everyone at Optima is gone to Cedia it appears so they aren't any help for now.
post #73 of 493 Old 09-08-2007, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Which port on the processor are you using?

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #74 of 493 Old 09-08-2007, 06:27 AM

Larry J,

I use an HTPC to feed my LV 1080P and it works fine. I am however still using Win XPMCE 2005 with 7950GTKO card. I had a problem for a little while as I use a GEFEN DVI Detector to maintain EDID to vid card so that I don't have to reboot the HTPC everytime I want to use the projector; with that arrangement, the video processor detected only 1080i even tho the vid card was showing 1920x1080x60. I had to get the newer version of the DVI Detector with 256bit EDID to get 1080P and the functionality of the DVI Detector but now it works fine. I'm guessing that the EDID info from the video processor is telling the vid card that it wants 1080P and that may explain why other resolutions are not shown to be available.

Dan@SI
post #75 of 493 Old 09-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Which port on the processor are you using?

Joe

All the port's have been tried. It appears right now the PJ is getting the desktop at 1080P, but only if 50hz is selected. So if he (I'm not there right now) selects 1980x1080, it will only work at 50hz. 1080i and everything else appears to be ok, its only 1080P that won't lock in, at 60hz.

Powerdvd Ultra isn't loaded yet, so not sure what will happen with that since only 50hz is working. This is kind of weird, but dealing with pc's and pj's usually is. But we don't usually have this problem.

Dan, thanks for the information but only Vista is going to be used, so it has to work with that.
post #76 of 493 Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseliger View Post

I have a 10 ft wide 2.35:1 (panamorph 380) and i would suggest you reconsider the LV. I had the HD81 and it did a wonderful job but am upgrading to the LV so i can keep that level of brightness for a longer period of time (before having to replace bulbs). (plus all the other benefits that come with the LV). I just passed through the HD81 system and used my D2 for the processing and switching as well and it worked great.

Thanks!! If the D2 can get the LV to 1080P/48hz anamorphic, I will definitely keep it on my list. Besides, with this brightness level, a Firehawk (or even Grayhawk) screen will probably help squeezing a bit more contrast while keeping the picture nice and bright at 120" wide.
post #77 of 493 Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseliger View Post

Let us know what you find at Cedia I coudlnt make it down but the stuff ive been reading sounds pretty interesting.

Optoma were not at Cedia! JVC RS1 & 2 seemed to be hot deals on the front projection platform ... blacks were impressive. I'm sticking with my HD81LV!

Cheers. MCB
post #78 of 493 Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 PM

Where can the LV be purchased.
PM is OK

scott
post #79 of 493 Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Give Jason at AV Science a call, our hosts.

I am very happy with my HD81-LV post-ISF calibration. Unlike my first HD81, I have good
color saturation and lumens. With the HD81, I had to go from an iris setting of 11 to 8 in
low bulb mode. With the LV, I have kept the iris at 14 and have 28 footlamberts. I am
happy with lumens, color points--including reds, which I didn't like out of the box.

Everything is great, now I just need some longterm reliability, and all will be well.
post #80 of 493 Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 PM

I am pretty much sold on the HD81-LV. Just waiting to hear how long it will take to get one. That brings me to screens. I have not owned a projector before, so please bear with me. I am looking for something that will work well in darkness to view movies, or in 1-2 fcs of ambient light to view football games while playing pool and using the bar on either side of the screen. The projector will be mounted 16' from the 110" screen. Any suggestions from those who own this projector? The rep I spoke to recommended the firehawk, but I am concerned about the high gain and hotspotting (mostly) and reduced viewing angle (a little, for football). Any thoughts from those with this projector or a similarly bright one? Thanks.
post #81 of 493 Old 09-12-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

I use and acoustically transparent SMX Screen so i can have my speakers behind it...it works excellent and i probably wouldnt do it any other way if i ever build another theater.

AVS sells the SMX i beleive, www.smxscreen.com for info.
post #82 of 493 Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 PM

I have the LV and my throw is about 15'. The reason I bought the LV is because of the lumen rating as I have a room with a lot of ambient light before sunset (great view before sunset that we choose not to cover up). My previous projectors were rated at 2500 and 3000 lumens. I use a Stewart Grayhawk 0.95 gain screen (about 6 years old) to attempt to reduce the impact of ambient light when I want to watch something before sunset, like a football game. Given the light output of the LV, in my opinion, you don't need a high gain screen. The Stewart 0.95 gain screen has a viewing angle that is very good; I think they advertise 160 degrees and I would believe it as in my setup I have never found an angle where I could not see a very good image on the screen. The downside, if any, is that since the gray, low-gain screen is a contrast enhancing screen, you may think the uncalibrated image is a little too harsh in low/no light viewing... so you will need to tweak the processor to arrive at a satisfactory contrast level. The other thing to accept is that even with a low gain screen, a front projector of any reasonable light output level is just gonna get washed out with any amount of ambient light, so choose the screen gain that matches the projector output for the dominant use you plan to make of it.

Dan@SI
post #83 of 493 Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I use a DaLite Cinemavision 1.3 gain screen. I have an LV projecting a 96" wide image from about 15'. Until 2:00 PM I have considerable ambient light on my screen. At night a white ceiling produces a lot of anbient light due to reflections from the screen. I get some hot spots during the night but in daylight it is gorgeous. A 1.0 or 1.3 white screen is the way I would go. Avoid a gray screen. I have an old curved gray screen that destroys the color balance.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #84 of 493 Old 09-13-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I would see if you can get a sample of the SmX screen material to view. Personally I would highly recommend it. I really like having my center speaker right behind the screen rahter than below it. I am also able to have a larger image now that I can place the left/right speakers behind it too. I think i is a 1.3 gain.

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #85 of 493 Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

I actually have a large scrap of smx you can have, contact me via PM if you want it... I did a DIY back before they stopped selling the material separate so i have a couple feet left on the roll.
post #86 of 493 Old 09-13-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

I hate to ask this, but if anyone knows an authorized reseller for the LV that would have it in stock please send me contact info via PM. I do have one on order with AVS (i'd prefer to support them if possible, they have been an awesome resource for everything else in my theater), but I really need it in the next week or two and they arent sure when stock will be arriving.
post #87 of 493 Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I would agree with jmorris about having the speakers behind the screen. It makes for an awsome soundstage. Unfortunately, if you sit within 10 ft of the screen, you will see thelittle holes (at least I did). That is why i went with the STIII's whose speakers line up with the centerline (height) of my screen. I have a speaker at the bottom and one at the top of the screen for the center but frankly prefer not to use the center and use phantom mode. I get the best soundstage that way and use my best speakers.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #88 of 493 Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM

I live in San Juan PR and will be in Miami this weekend. Does anyone know about Optoma dealers in South Florida who may have an HD81LV setup?

I checked with Optoma about their dealers in that area. They were not sure (??!!) but suggested Magnolia. After calling several locations, the closest I got was one HD80.

PM OK.

Thanks,

Luis
post #89 of 493 Old 09-13-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

if you sit within 10 ft of the screen, you will see thelittle holes (at least I did).

The holes of the screen? Which screen were you using?

Also, can't you get a center speaker that matches the L/R paid?

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #90 of 493 Old 09-13-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Art,

What happens when I hit 1000 posts? Anything magical?

Joe

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page