Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 493 Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonht View Post

Hey everyone, didn't want to loose the VXP so I decided to return the problem 81 and buy the LV.

Great picture, but I am now having a problem after 10 hours use.

I am now getting evenly spaced vertical lined (entire top to bottom) on the right side of the screen. From the center all the way to the right side.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Thanks

I have noticed vertical lines through the middle of the screen, almost like scratch lines you would see on movies at the cinema. Thankfully the lines disappear after a couple of minutes, but I have no idea what the cause is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 493 Old 10-15-2007, 12:40 PM

This doesn't go away anymore. I attached a picture so everyone can see what I mean. I have a call into optoma to see what can be done.
LL
post #213 of 493 Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
That's nasty, chip, light engine problem is what it looks like to me.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #214 of 493 Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have seen the vertical lines of which you speak. It occurred on my original LV. It gradually became worse until it failed completely. It is accompanied by color blotching in various parts of the picture. I used to turn it off, let it cool, turn the blower to high and wait until it happened again. The first LV died within a week of getting it. After 3 81's and 1 LV, I began to think that I was causing failures by inadequate ventilation. When the 5 the projector arrived, I ran it on high blower for 2 weeks. Finally, I could not stand the noise so I reverted to low blower. Several months have passed without incident on low blower. An occasional blue screen occurs when I fail to set the 48 Hz back to off for non film based sources.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #215 of 493 Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonht View Post

This doesn't go away anymore. I attached a picture so everyone can see what I mean. I have a call into optoma to see what can be done.

Those look identical to what I see when I first fire the PJ up, but as I say, mine disappear after a couple of minutes .... for now anyway!
post #216 of 493 Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Today I had the shimmering areas phenomenon that I first experienced with my first LV. This second LV unit had operated without incident since it was new. I let it continue to happen for about a minute. Then, I turned the fan to High altitude. It took about a minute and 3/4 to clear up. Am I disappointed. Let me be clear...What I see are vertical small, thin lines that evolve into large areas of slightly affected color bounded by irregular shapes all over the screen. Running the fan fixes the phenomenon. I will run mine on bright bulb from now on. Interestingly, about a week ago, I began heating my home with forced hot air for the winter. Heat rises so it might be 76 degrees on the ceiling when it is 70 degrees at seating height. Sad, if you ask me. I thought all this was behind me.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #217 of 493 Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How many hours were you running the projector?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #218 of 493 Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

It was on a little over 2 hours when it began to exhibit the anomaly. With the blower on hight, it has not returned.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #219 of 493 Old 10-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

It was on a little over 2 hours when it began to exhibit the anomaly. With the blower on hight, it has not returned.

Yep, for sure this PJ does have overheating issues despite Optoma telling us this problem had been fixed. We have now added another fan (that is a total of three fans) to our already extensive bevvy of cooling devices in the hush box and have also added a heat sink at the exhaust port. Now I can actually say that we can confidently run the PJ in normal fan mode without incurring blue screens or complete shutdowns .... so far ..... but it is quite ridiculous to have had to go to such extremes in order to achieve this. OK, so we are running the PJ in a hush box, but it is a good size box, plenty of circulation room and I would have thought that a PJ should be able to operate without the need of three extra cooling and exhaust extraction fans ... plus a heat sink!!!

Still a fantastic PJ though ... PQ wise.
post #220 of 493 Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The return of hot weather in MD has required AC again and I have been able to use slow fan speed. There is a much more insidious problem that has developed on the LV. At 461 hours, I have suffered a significant color shift to blue-green. I fear that whatever controls th micromirrors has suffered a permanent bias. It may be that the bulb is changing color as it ages. The shift requires a -10 setting for green and a red setting increase for red bias and gain of +5. Quite depressing. Jeff, MCB, others, have you seen this?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #221 of 493 Old 10-20-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

The return of hot weather in MD has required AC again and I have been able to use slow fan speed. There is a much more insidious problem that has developed on the LV. At 461 hours, I have suffered a significant color shift to blue-green. I fear that whatever controls th micromirrors has suffered a permanent bias. It may be that the bulb is changing color as it ages. The shift requires a -10 setting for green and a red setting increase for red bias and gain of +5. Quite depressing. Jeff, MCB, others, have you seen this?

Art,

I saw a color shift in the first 100 hours, had my ISF tech balance to a bit plus red in case of more drift. So far I haven't seen any drift, but I'm under 200 hours. Frankly, I'd be happy to get 461 hours on this projector--haven't been able to get over 200-300 hours with my three HD81's.

Do you still have the spare bulb? Other than the hassle of pulling the projector off the ceiling, why not try changing bulbs to see if color balance
changes?
post #222 of 493 Old 10-20-2007, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wonder if you can help....

I signed up to watch the Rugby World cup final today using the Setanta broadband service but when I connect via the VGA from my laptop to the pj the image is completely red. It says it is receiving RGB 640x480 85Hz. The normal image from the laptop is fine but that displays a higher resolution at 60Hz. I got three hours to kick off .... HELP!!!! I'm using PC mode if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Piers
post #223 of 493 Old 10-20-2007, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarey View Post

Wonder if you can help....

I signed up to watch the Rugby World cup final today using the Setanta broadband service but when I connect via the VGA from my laptop to the pj the image is completely red. It says it is receiving RGB 640x480 85Hz. The normal image from the laptop is fine but that displays a higher resolution at 60Hz. I got three hours to kick off .... HELP!!!! I'm using PC mode if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Piers

Piers,

Normally when I see just one or two colors from an RGB signal, I would check the VGA cable and connections. When I have used the VGA input from my
laptop, I've never been able to get an image that looked right--it was always
red, whites were not white, but there were blue and green colors. If you
have a VGA to BNC breakout cable, you could try one of the RGBHV BNC inputs, but I don't know if they would be any different.

Unfortunately, if you can't get a VGA solution to work, you might have to
consider using the composite video or S-Video output of your computer--
lousy, low-res. down conversion, but the colors could be better.
post #224 of 493 Old 10-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Jeff. The weird thing is that it works fine when playing an embedded inage or just showing windows screen. It is only when the Setana windows media full screen kicks in that I get the red. When that happens the resoltuion drops and it goes from 60 to 85hz
post #225 of 493 Old 10-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Sorry to say we have been out of the loop for a few days as we were evacuated from our home due to the crazy fires here in CA. Back home now .... we were lucky, this time, but our thoughts are with all those that were not so lucky ... three of our good friends suffered complete loss of their homes .... I have to report that the problem with the mysterious vertical lines is getting worse. At first we had three vertical lines appearing in the middle of the screen at start up. These lines disappeared after a minute or so but then we started to experience a longer period of time before these lines went away. Now we have a multitude of lines which hang around for anywhere up to fifteen minutes! I fear eventually these lines will simply not disappear at all. This cannot be an overheating issue as this is from a cold start. What is the problem with this PJ?!!! Great picture but these problems are driving me to think JVC!!

Jeff ..... Can you believe that Brazilian Grand Prix result? Lewis is going to be kicking himself for a long, long time! I'm sure Alonso is happy. Aaaggghhhh!!!
post #226 of 493 Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MCBRacer,

I'm very happy to hear that your home and new home theater and family are all well. I
feel for your friends, what a traumatic experience. Very scary.

I think it's time for a hot swap of your HD81LV. That's what that warranty is there for,
and you paid good money for the projector upgrade. I've always had the vertical lines
at start up with all HDxx projectors--but just for a couple of seconds. My LV is behaving
well at low lamp, just over 200 hours.

The F1 driver's championship is under appeal, so Lewis might yet prevail. As long as it's
ABA(Anybody But Alonso)!
post #227 of 493 Old 10-27-2007, 02:52 PM

I have noticed both with my HD81 and now my HD81-LV the processor box gets very, very hot during normal use. As with many of us, my HD81-LV processor is in a rack in an equipment closet. This closet has good ventilation, but even if I keep the door open, after 2 hours of normal tv/moving watching, it is incredibly hot...even to the touch.

Is this something that others experience, as well? Is it normal? Do you avoid stacking anything on top of the unit? I am told that the unit is stackable, but it is so incredibly hot I wonder if that's really a good idea.
post #228 of 493 Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawder View Post

I have noticed both with my HD81 and now my HD81-LV the processor box gets very, very hot during normal use. As with many of us, my HD81-LV processor is in a rack in an equipment closet. This closet has good ventilation, but even if I keep the door open, after 2 hours of normal tv/moving watching, it is incredibly hot...even to the touch.

Is this something that others experience, as well? Is it normal? Do you avoid stacking anything on top of the unit? I am told that the unit is stackable, but it is so incredibly hot I wonder if that's really a good idea.

Yes, it does get hot. I think it was Joe Linn taht was having a LOT of trouble with the heat from the rpocessor.

I have a 2U space above my processr just for good air flow. When I had it stacked it was way too hot.

I had to do the same thing with my HD-DVR that I got from Comcast. It was getting hot and failing.

Joe

Starting Research for new Theater. New Theater will be 24x36x12.

The link to my previous theater build :) Theater

A Proud Father >
Daughter's Music
post #229 of 493 Old 10-28-2007, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi,
I am looking for a 2.35:1 setup with a 410cm wide picture (162 inches wide) so this projector looks promising but can I install it? I have a height on 99 inches on my room.
Also hasnt it got hdmi 1.3a now? Is the latest firmare working with 1080p/24 in 2.35:1 mode? read all the post seems that it doesnt?
post #230 of 493 Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris644 View Post

Yes, it does get hot. I think it was Joe Linn taht was having a LOT of trouble with the heat from the rpocessor.

I have a 2U space above my processr just for good air flow. When I had it stacked it was way too hot.

I had to do the same thing with my HD-DVR that I got from Comcast. It was getting hot and failing.

Joe

When I used the HD81LV I kept the scaler out in the open, just like the Xbox 360 or any other device that has a high heat level, safety first - just common sense.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #231 of 493 Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I have my VXD box in the open at the top of a stack of equipment. Mine is 2" above an LG LST-3410A HD DVR. I have not experienced the kind of heat reported here by others. Mine can be described as "warm". I use a Motorola/Comcast 3416 Box/DVR. It is in the open and hardly puts out any heat. I keep a 2" area of free space around the sides and the top and bottom of all electronics that have vent holes on the sides where those vent holes occur. Convection seems to be working as designed.

MCB,

Sorry to hear off your difficulties. Like Jeff, I would encourage you to have them exchange that unit. Because it is such a pain to take these things down, mail them and remount, we tend to wait until a complete failure occurs. Unfortunately, these projectors do respond positively to cooler environments by making artifacts appear and disappear depending on the room temperature. Get it fixed now. In the long run, it can not. will not, fix itself.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #232 of 493 Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Has Optoma dropped the price on the LV. Some sites are making it very tempting! Just Google HD-81 LV
post #233 of 493 Old 10-30-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nope I just asked, it's still MAP $6999. You know if you see something on the web it's more likely a fake or that
camera deal guy out of New York. That guy keeps pumping up new websites all the time, camera this, photo that etc.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #234 of 493 Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 AM

Hi Folks, I am a custom installer in South Africa. I have been reading your thread on the line problem on the 81LV, I have just supplied a projector and am having the same problem, however mine is showing lines on the left side of the screen.
post #235 of 493 Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to replace it. When they start doing that, they do not get better.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #236 of 493 Old 11-05-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is this a HDMI problem showing up, what happens when you choose an analog input? Maybe try a different HDMI cable from the device or the one to the PJ. I noticed the first user that posted a picture here was on HDMI 1.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #237 of 493 Old 11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom,

My first LV did that and then it died.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #238 of 493 Old 11-08-2007, 12:38 PM

My LV is going back to Optoma, now that a replacement has been received. The vertical lines became worse and worse and took longer and longer to disappear. The lines even began to show themselves sporadically, other than just at start up. Optoma are not sure what this problem is caused by.

Even though we would rather have glitch free PJ's I have to say a BIG thank you to Warren at Optoma, he has been fantastic at responding to our problems. Let's hope the replacement LV is going to prove to be a permanent fix! I will keep you informed.

MCB Racer
post #239 of 493 Old 11-10-2007, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the pic houstonht. I have the same issue with my out of the box HD81-LV, but I also have a more sinister set of solid white lines which appears on the right side of the image (see attached pics).

Does anyone have an HD81-LV projector with more than 200 hours that is not exhibiting any form of failure (lines or color shift)? Just wondering if I should even bother to keep the PJ. If the maintenance will be anything like the HD81's history it is not worth it. Has Optoma consistently paid for the return shipping of your PJs under RMA?
LL
LL
post #240 of 493 Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpasqu View Post

Does anyone have an HD81-LV projector with more than 200 hours that is not exhibiting any form of failure (lines or color shift)? Just wondering if I should even bother to keep the PJ. If the maintenance will be anything like the HD81's history it is not worth it. Has Optoma consistently paid for the return shipping of your PJs under RMA?

My HD81-LV has about 240 hours, no problems yet. This is after going through three HD81's first. I don't know about shipping as I live nearby Optoma USA, but I think that you have to pay at least one way for shipping.

I would love to tell you that you will be alright with your replacement HD81-LV, but I just don't have confidence in any Optoma products, especially HD8x series, although it seems like the HD80's are doing okay, once owners have downloaded new firmware.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page