post #31 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

Depends how thick the lenses on those rose-tinted glasses are smile.gif

Perhaps I am a little unsentimental but why not just buy the movies on Blu-ray or DVD?

According to Back to the Future part 2 there will be large bundles of unused laserdiscs filling up alleys in two years anyway

I was thinking about it because there are a number of large movie bundles on ebay etc where you can find 100+ movies for less than $200. I remember my laserdiscs looking great and it seemed like a good way of buying a bunch of moves to watch when I can"t find anything interesting on Netflix.

It sounds like the general consensus is that it isn't worth it. You probably saved me from cluttering my apartment with old junk.

It is a shame that there isn't a premium format that makes you feel like you are better than everyone else these days. Everyone knows about Blu Ray. I can remember how impressed my friends were when they came to my place and saw that I had movies that were still in the theater and looked 10 times better than the VHS tapes they used.

The cover art was great too. You really felt like you owned the movie. When I first got my Ld player, I watched it on a 14 inch sony tv in my room. With the 2.39:1 letter boxed movies, it would have been like watching a movie on my phone. Still, I could see the whole picture and it made it seem like being at the movies (just sitting really, really far back). Having to change sides 3 times during the movie wasn't great either I guess.

If only someone could find a way of making the DCI compliant movie files available. Even the 2k versions would be better than Blu Rays.

Thanks for the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You always get the Sony FMP X1 media player and watch the 4K re-master of Ghostbusters. Superiority and nostalgia in one package biggrin.gif

post #33 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Design View Post

I was thinking about it because there are a number of large movie bundles on ebay etc where you can find 100+ movies for less than $200. I remember my laserdiscs looking great and it seemed like a good way of buying a bunch of moves to watch when I can"t find anything interesting on Netflix.

It sounds like the general consensus is that it isn't worth it. You probably saved me from cluttering my apartment with old junk.

It is a shame that there isn't a premium format that makes you feel like you are better than everyone else these days. Everyone knows about Blu Ray. I can remember how impressed my friends were when they came to my place and saw that I had movies that were still in the theater and looked 10 times better than the VHS tapes they used.

The cover art was great too. You really felt like you owned the movie. When I first got my Ld player, I watched it on a 14 inch sony tv in my room. With the 2.39:1 letter boxed movies, it would have been like watching a movie on my phone. Still, I could see the whole picture and it made it seem like being at the movies (just sitting really, really far back). Having to change sides 3 times during the movie wasn't great either I guess.

If only someone could find a way of making the DCI compliant movie files available. Even the 2k versions would be better than Blu Rays.

Thanks for the responses.

They are readily available to those in the know. But you need to invest in a DCI compliant projector and server. something like $75k will fix you right up Might be less but if this doesn't stagger you, you can get fixed up. You will need a projection booth I can put you in contact with people who can furnish you with the equipment. . Then you can get the source material. but that's another story not for publication.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #34 of 46 Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

You mean like this?
http://primacinema.com/

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #35 of 46 Old 11-11-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I was thinking about it because there are a number of large movie bundles on ebay etc where you can find 100+ movies for less than $200.
I haven't looked at any of these "deals" in a long while, but unless the sale is in your back yard, you are NOT going to want to pay shipping costs for 100+ discs! They are heavy!
post #36 of 46 Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 391
No one has more of a nostalgic attachment to his Laserdisc collection than I do, but I can't watch them on my projector. The format just wasn't designed to hold up to that degree of scrutiny. At the time, a 27" TV was about as large as an LD was expected to be displayed. Maybe 32" for the hardcore video enthusiasts.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #37 of 46 Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

You will need a projection booth I can put you in contact with people who can furnish you with the equipment.

Would an S2k qualify? I would like my own IMAX, but I am too poor, so trying to do it on the cheap. I have the room, but there is no way I could afford $75k.

post #38 of 46 Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

No one has more of a nostalgic attachment to his Laserdisc collection than I do, but I can't watch them on my projector. The format just wasn't designed to hold up to that degree of scrutiny. At the time, a 27" TV was about as large as an LD was expected to be displayed. Maybe 32" for the hardcore video enthusiasts.
The last CRT I used with my LD collection was a 3-tube RPTV Sony 41" and in its day I thought "how can home theater get any better?" it looked that good.

When I get my 25XBR working again "watch out"! It will be fun to watch the Rainbow Goblins again! wink.gifcool.gif
post #39 of 46 Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

The last CRT I used with my LD collection was a 3-tube RPTV Sony 41" and in its day I thought "how can home theater get any better?" it looked that good.

When I get my 25XBR working again "watch out"! It will be fun to watch the Rainbow Goblins again! wink.gifcool.gif

I remember saving and saving so I could buy a 40" widescreen(Toshiba iirc) rptv and justifying the 'huge' expense by thinking it'd be the last tv i'd need to buy. how could I possibly fit anything larger into my ~15x25 room?

my only experience with LD though was when my physics teacher failed at one of his demos, then he'd pull out the LD player and show us what was supposed to happen... I've seen a few LD players hiding in the back stockrooms of my current school too. I doubt they're any good, but they are there, which is enough to make me wonder if I should borrow one, haha

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #40 of 46 Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I've seen a few LD players hiding in the back stockrooms of my current school too. I doubt they're any good, but they are there, which is enough to make me wonder if I should borrow one, haha

The industrial Laserdisc players that were sold to schools were typically missing important features that you as a consumer would want to have - such as the ability to listen to digital audio tracks. The vast majority of movie Laserdiscs had digital audio, with only hit-or-miss support for backwards compatible analog audio tracks.

Laserdiscs had two digital tracks and two analog tracks. Any supplemental audio such as a director's commentary, an isolated music & effects track, or a Dolby Digital AC-3 stream would be stored on the analog channels. If your LD player isn't compatible with digital audio, you'll have no way of listening to the movie's soundtrack on the digital channels.

The remote controls for industrial LD players were also sold separately from the player itself, in order to bilk the institutions for an extra charge. Your school may or may not have ponied up the extra cash for the remotes.

In short, don't bother borrowing one of those players. It's not worth the hassle.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #41 of 46 Old 12-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I know I am a month late to the conversation, but wanted to chime in. I am a video and audio nut, so I have everything from LP, to CD, to DVD, to bluray, to LD. I still routinely watch my many hundreds of LDs I have collected over the years. Many gathered cheap in bulk and others I paid dearly for. I find the quality on my projector to be fine, not so far off from DVD to be unable to watch them. The kids enjoy watching their many Disney discs on it.

I have had 1360x768 3x LCD Sony projector for years and was using the composite input with my Pioneer 3080 and it was pretty awesome for laserdiscs. The S-video was not good, however. I understand that is all due to the comb filter in the projector being better than the one in the 3080. Makes sense since there is a decade and a half more technology there in the Sony. That projector died, so I am now using an older projector for now and it is not as good. I hope to soon upgrade to an HD DLP or 3 LCD unit at the $1000 level. I just hope they have decent comb filters in them but it's nearly impossible to find info on what they each have, Epson versus BenQ, etc. Everyone focuses on the HDMI etc, which is great, but that does not help the laserdisc part of my collection. DVD's are awesome and so are Blu rays, but I still enjoy the 500+ LD's I have. Not a cheap collection to just replace. As long as I can enjoy them for what they are and my players keep spinning, I will play them. My 1990 CLD3080 still spins, knock on wood......

If anyone has any experience/comparison on the newer projectors using the composite inputs for LDs, please chime in. I am currently considering the BenQ W1070 or Epson 2030 HomeCinema units.
post #42 of 46 Old 12-23-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinoman View Post

I have had 1360x768 3x LCD Sony projector for years and was using the composite input with my Pioneer 3080 and it was pretty awesome for laserdiscs.
No good experience here (mine's a 1080p Mits HC4900) and I don't even have my 3080 hooked-up atm. Just bumping your query cuz I see we both have 3080s--nice machine...

I suspect one of the reasons you liked your pj was cuz it was 720p, but is the replacement then your one & only, or are we talking "dedicated to LD"? The best display I suspect for an LD player is an analog CRT...
post #43 of 46 Old 12-24-2013, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Such an old thread I guess advice to the initial question is no longer required.

I'm another nut with heaps of LDs & that rather nice Pioneer HLD-X9 player. Poor LDs are not worth looking at but the later ones can be most impressive, particularly if tweaked by the iScan VP50 PRO (about all it is used for these days). It is the old story of GIGO so the projector or TV is not the critical item IMO.

And I have quite a few of the earlier DVDs that come through far worse than the good LDs. But yes, a good DVD is better, no argument. And exactly the same situation exists re BD vs DVD. Just because it is a BD is no guarantee it is better videowise, although, with the right gear, the audio is usually miles better with BD.

Just my 2c!

A hi-fi & video nut for 50+ years!
post #44 of 46 Old 12-24-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I keep my Pioneer CLD-99 because it's cool to show visitors what the laser discs look like plus the rosewood side panels / gold trim are pure HT bling. cool.gif

pioneer1.jpg

kidding aside, some of the box sets were amazing. I have some Disney sets with single frames of film as artwork in the inset material, very classy back in the day. Now all we get is a plastic disc case with a sleeve.

I showed some folks recently the laserdisc of star wars (exactly how I remember it looking on VHS back in the early 80's) and then the BD release, wow what an amazing difference. It was cutting edge technology for it's day, especially the hi-def MUSE in 1994, way ahead of it's time.

one of my favorite LD's is the Jurassic Park with the DTS 5.1 track. I used to have a blast making the house shake from the LFE.

these kids today are so spoiled.... biggrin.gifcool.gif
post #45 of 46 Old 12-25-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post

I'm another nut with heaps of LDs & that rather nice Pioneer HLD-X9 player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I keep my Pioneer CLD-99 because it's cool

If I ever come-across either of these players I would buy one (or both!) in a heartbeat!

Where is the "envious" emoticon... cool.gif
post #46 of 46 Old 12-25-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I used to have a Pioneer Laserdisc player. It cost about $500.00 when I bought in 1989 or 1990. Compact Disc were hit and miss playing on it. But, I loved the picture quality! Video Trading Company at Paul's Mall in Johnson City,Tennessee may still have it and a few Laserdiscs.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae1000u High Definition Home Theater Projector , Mitsubishi Hc5000 Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page