What 1080p projector for laserdisc? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 09-24-2007, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still have more than 100 Laserdisc and watch one from time to time. So, on what projector would they look best? I am trying to decide between the Mitsubishi HC5000/6000 and the Panasonic AE1000/2000, but I am open to other suggestions below $4000. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hartwig Hanser

P.S.: I currently have a Panasonic AE300. When I watch letterbox NTSC LD, I cannot use the zoom mode, since the Projector squishes the picture a bit (as if it were anamorphic, but less) Does any of the current Projectors has this error?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

What's a laserdisc? (Just kidding)

I would imagine it's not going to make much of a difference given the age of the technology.
post #3 of 46 Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 1000 Title LD collection and replaced a perfectly fine HC5000 with an AE1000U because of how much better I felt it was over the HC5000 with this source material.

The Pearl was also very good with these sources.
post #4 of 46 Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Though I have no specific experience with current 1080p units displaying LD's, I can tell you just about anything you buy will be a great improvement over the Panny you have currently. The technologies have moved so fast lately.
post #5 of 46 Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PS: Both projectors properly zoom Letterbox LD..... No worries there.
post #6 of 46 Old 09-24-2007, 01:27 PM

I have an Elite LD connected to my Onkyo receiver. The receiver upconverts it to 480p - and outputs to the Mitsu. The pics on the LD (I sampled 1941) - is average. I had an older Epson that outputs 720p. I did not review the Mitsu input (I only connected it via HDMI) - to find out what it is receiving from my receiver - my guess is 480p.

The HQV chip tends to sharpen it a bit compared to the Epson - as far as I recall.
post #7 of 46 Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM

hanser-

Whenever I see a thread like this started I always have to ask: You wanna buy the 6 boxes of laserdiscs I have in my basement?

TA
post #8 of 46 Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replys. I mostly watch DVD today and do not buy LD any more (haven´t since 2000 or so). But I still watch one from time to time, since I have not replaced the majority with DVD.

I know that todays projectors are a vast improvment over my AE300, but I worry that they are specifically developped for component video (DVD or HD), and that analogue composite video will look bad, perhaps even worse than on my AE300, since this kind of input might be thought negligable by the developpers. So, I try to find a model that will produce watchable pictures from LD. On the other hand the majority of my watching in the future will be DVD and then more and more HD, so this is my first priority, not LD.
post #9 of 46 Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbelmont View Post

hanser-

Whenever I see a thread like this started I always have to ask: You wanna buy the 6 boxes of laserdiscs I have in my basement?

TA

If you or anybody else are going to ever throw your LD's out, I'll pay shipping for them if your in the U.S.

Media Mail makes this ecconomical.
post #10 of 46 Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanser View Post

I still have more than 100 Laserdisc and watch one from time to time. So, on what projector would they look best? I am trying to decide between the Mitsubishi HC5000/6000 and the Panasonic AE1000/2000, but I am open to other suggestions below $4000. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hartwig Hanser

P.S.: I currently have a Panasonic AE300. When I watch letterbox NTSC LD, I cannot use the zoom mode, since the Projector squishes the picture a bit (as if it were anamorphic, but less) Does any of the current Projectors has this error?

I wonder how many readers even know what a laserdisc is? Got any 45 rpm or 78 rpm records?
post #11 of 46 Old 09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah.. I think production has now been officially stopped for a decade.

Still lots of stuff that never has hit DVD though.
post #12 of 46 Old 09-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Hello and good evening (well it is over here.)

You would be surprised by how many people in the UK / US and Japan, are still avid collector's of all things Laserdisc.

The best Laserdisc players are as follows Pioneer USA ELITE, REFERENCE LD S2 / CLD 79 / CLD 95 / CLD 97 / CLD 99 and the ELITE combi DVD & Laserdisc was the DVL 91 (which was as good as the CLD 79.) this ended the production of players in the USA. Avarage quality player that was in production until 2005 was DVL 919, you may be able to purchase existing 'last' stocks ''only a few left by all accounts'' these are totally reliable, also Pioneer have reassured customers that they will be servicing the players for some years to come.

The best players however came from Pioneer Japan, These had the third generation 3 line digital comb filters on board.
The first 2 are High def Muse capable players: HLD X0 (single side play and purest player ''36kg in weight and only 4.300 or so, hand produced ''Japan only'' HLD X9 (dual sided play side A & B.) Similar numbers produced, they only play NTSC Laserdisc's from Japan and the USA.
Japanese Combi top range player was the DVL H9. not sure how many produced (big player in size.)

Next one is a none Muse Laserdisc player : LD S9 (looks similar to the CLD 99.)
There are 2 or 3 others but these are the main best players.

The best Laserdisc players sold in the UK were CLD 2970 and CLD 925.
The UK combination DVD / Laserdisc players were DVL 909 and DVL 919E.

On the software side the Japanese laserdisc's and packaging are in general superior to the USA equivalent. (sold in loose wrap and better description on the cover, of contents.)
From 1995 onwards Pioneer produced three quarters of all the laserdisc's.

Sony pictures and columbia Tristar : some titles had problems with disc rot ''A snow effect when watching the film'' and some titles the rot was so bad that it affected the sound as well (completely no sound on some.)
These problems happened within 2 years of owning them.

This problem was 98% cured by 1995 onwards.

About thirty titles aprox were affected, but other pressings of these films produced in the USA and Japan were fine.

Production in the USA finished at the end of December 1999.
Production in the Japan finished at the end of September 2001.

The USA produced aprox 17,500 titles on Laserdisc.
Japan produced aprox 37.000 titles on Laserdisc.

The number of DTS Laserdisc titles produced was 158, about 10 titles were cancelled due to small orders and so on.

The number of AC-3 (Dolby Digital) Laserdisc titles produced was aprox 900 in the USA.

I personally would only purchase Pioneer players as they were the best.

Other manufacturers ie: THETA and Macintosh and EAD produced Laserdisc players in limited numbers, but ''the guts of these players were Pioneer''

The good thing is that people {serious collectors have a number of backup players and these occasionally come up for sale on ebay.)

I am currently in the process of purchasing a Pioneer HLD X9 from a seller and friend in the UK, and a new unused pioneer ELITE CLD 97 from a seller in the USA.

The best RF AC-3 Demodulators to connect to your av amp are from Meridian and Lexicon.

Yamaha / Sony and Pioneer also produced them and they are good enough.

I am also purchasing a number of Laserdisc's from Japan which are reserved for me with 2 sellers and in 2008 i should be purchasing 1 x serviced HLD X0 from one of these sellers.

I also love DVD / HD DVD and BLU-RAY.

My view to all things AV is enjoy the journey and your hobby no matter what equipment you have.

So far i have been into Home Cinema for more than 9 years, do not purchase with finance and work within my means.

I have an average Job and enjoy waiting for things.

You guys take good care and look after yourselves.

If you would like to ask any other questions then please ask'

Genuine and kindest regards

P.S love reading all of the threads (a lot of good points and views.)

Mark
post #13 of 46 Old 09-26-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

yeah.. I think production has now been officially stopped for a decade.

The last movies released on laserdisc in North America were Sleepy Hollow and Bringing Out the Dead in 2000. The last (English-language) movies released on laserdisc in Japan were The Sixth Day and The Cell in 2001.

I still have a strong sentimental attachment to my LD collection, but it's hard to watch them these days. They don't scale well at all to a high-resolution display, and the 3D comb filter in my HLD-X9 that produced such beautiful colors on an analog CRT set plays havoc with horrendous checkerboarding artifacts on a fixed-pixel DLP.

Anyone serious about preserving the best quality they can from their LD collection would be advised to use a video processor in the chain between LD player and display to massage the signal as much as possible.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #14 of 46 Old 09-26-2007, 05:00 PM

I had a Pioneer Elite laserdisc player, and I do have a sentimental fondness for the format, but what I did was sell mine last year and used the money towards an HD-DVD player, and I get A LOT more use and enjoyment out of it. I don't think large screens and laserdisc mix very well, even if you have the most expensive scaler money can buy, it looks pretty bad.

I can't believe there's some people that thought laserdisc was better than DVD. They must be remembering with rose-colored glasses, because a modern $30 DVD player would blow the most expensive laserdisc player made out of the water.

There are very few titles that haven't been brought out on DVD, only the most obscure (usually foreign) titles are not available on DVD, and they will surely look a whole lot better on DVD.

If you're a collector, I can understand hanging on to it, but purely from a performance standpoint, I'd categorize it with VHS and cassettes, a dead technology that has been vastly surpassed.
post #15 of 46 Old 09-27-2007, 04:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

$30 modern DVD blowing the most expensive LD player away?

The most expensive LD players play real HD, so I would not say this is accurate at all.
post #16 of 46 Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Eldorado View Post

I can't believe there's some people that thought laserdisc was better than DVD. They must be remembering with rose-colored glasses, because a modern $30 DVD player would blow the most expensive laserdisc player made out of the water.

At the time DVD premiered in 1997 and 1998, a great many discs recycled non-anamorphic laserdisc masters and had terrible compression quality. In many cases, the laserdisc was superior.

Things are different these days, of course.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #17 of 46 Old 09-27-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:

$30 modern DVD blowing the most expensive LD player away?

The most expensive LD players play real HD, so I would not say this is accurate at all.

I think it's fairly obvious I was referring to the same type of laserdisc player the OP and everyone else in this thread was referring to, not some rare, Japanese Muse model that nobody actually owns and only has a small handful of special disks that could play the format, each costing several hundred dollars a piece.
post #18 of 46 Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I'd think LD lends itself to CRT projection.
post #19 of 46 Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well being big into LD's at one time and still using my collection a lot on my 1080p projetcor, I must say I know quite a few people that have these MUSE players so it was not fairly obvious to me.

I still find the best laserdiscs to be better than the worst DVD's, so the content convolutes this some as well. It's still a good enough source that I am surprised more owners don't have their players hooked up to their modern HDTV's.

So many say they have a box or even boxes full of them they never use. but I have yet to have somebody take me up on my offer to send them to me on my dime. It must just be hard to let go of them. What I really say is hook your player back up!!
post #20 of 46 Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Well being big into LD's at one time and still using my collection a lot on my 1080p projetcor, I must say I know quite a few people that have these MUSE players so it was not fairly obvious to me.

I still find the best laserdiscs to be better than the worst DVD's, so the content convolutes this some as well. It's still a good enough source that I am surprised more owners don't have their players hooked up to their modern HDTV's.

So many say they have a box or even boxes full of them they never use. but I have yet to have somebody take me up on my offer to send them to me on my dime. It must just be hard to let go of them. What I really say is hook your player back up!!

Comparing the best laserdisc to the worst DVD is hardly an apples to apples comparison. An average DVD blows away the best laser disc, there's just more lines of resolution. I've seen the best laserdiscs on the best Pioneer players, and a cheap DVD player wins, hands down. Laserdisc players looked amazing on direct-view tube televisions with small screens, but blow one up on a modern big screen or projector, and they really show their inferiority.

"Muse" laserdiscs were more of a prototype product to showcase a company's technology than anything, they're not even in the same category as laser disc. If you can lump Muse players with laser disc players, you can categorize HD-DVD with standard DVD players. Then there really is no comparison.
post #21 of 46 Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I still use mine regularly in my theater. CLD-99.
I expect I'll have a MUSE player some day, some way.

I have to admit, they looked really poor on my 1st 1080p projector, I changed and now they hold up OK enough. I mean of course I run all sorts of real HD content in their too as well as SD-DVD.
post #22 of 46 Old 11-09-2013, 05:13 PM

Liked: 14
Hi

I know is thread is years old now but I wanted to reserect it briefly to ask some questions directed at anyone who still uses their laserdisc player with a projector.

I used to have a laserdisc player when I was a kid. It was before DVD's came out and compared to the VHS players that everyone else I knew had, it was amazing. Also, I lived in the UK back then so I was able to get movies for my NTSC player while they were still in the theater, in some cases. When DVD came out, I sold my player and bought the first DVD player from Pioneer. I had it imported before it was released in my home country. Goodfellas was my favorite laserdisc and when I pressed play on my new DVD version, I was a little disappointed. I had immediate buyers remorse. I wanted to say it was much better, but I couldn't see an obvious improvement. In fact, I liked the laserdisc version better.

I was a kid who used all his allowance (for like 5 years) to buy it. I was also watching on a 25 inch Sony CRT. Tiny by today's standards. The DVD sounded so quiet in comparison. Even on full volume, it was hard to hear. The image on early DVDs had a lot of room for improvement and later discs were a little better. I never tried a laserdisc on a projector like the one I watch movies on now, but I hear that analogue sources like laserdiscs look far worse on larger displays and on anything that isn't CRT.

I was thinking of buying a used player and collection of movies again recently. Am I likely to be massively disappointed with the image quality of laserdisc movies on my modern 1080p DLP projector? I have a pretty decent projector right now. I use a ProjectionDesign F32 1080. Even streamed content off Netflix looks decent on it. I wanted to know if t is possible to get a good image if I buy a high end player ?

If the general view is that it will look bad on a digital projector, does the same thing apply to a CRT projector? Is there a way of making it look as good as I remember it on a digital device? Or do I just have rose tinted memories that should stay in the past? I have a lot of nostalgia about my old laserdisc collection.
post #23 of 46 Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Design View Post

I was thinking of buying a used player and collection of movies again recently. Am I likely to be massively disappointed with the image quality of laserdisc movies on my modern 1080p DLP projector?

Depends how thick the lenses on those rose-tinted glasses are smile.gif

Perhaps I am a little unsentimental but why not just buy the movies on Blu-ray or DVD?

According to Back to the Future part 2 there will be large bundles of unused laserdiscs filling up alleys in two years anyway

post #24 of 46 Old 11-09-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I still have my Pioneer CLD-99. The rosewood side panels and gold trim are some serious HT 'bling'.. cool.gif

pioneer1.jpg

One of my favorite disks was Jurassic Park DTS. I thought I was cool for having an early 5.1 setup.

now I have to plug it in and see how it looks after all these years, I have about 300 laserdiscs. The artwork / packaging on some of the releases were amazing.

I have the T2 Laserdisc on display in my office @ work. People ask 'what is the deal with the silver record?'
post #25 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Design View Post

I was thinking of buying a used player and collection of movies again recently. Am I likely to be massively disappointed with the image quality of laserdisc movies on my modern 1080p DLP projector?
Yes, you are likely to be massively disappointed. And "massively" is a very good word to use here unfortunately.

I still have my 1000+ disc collection, and my 25" Sony XBR CRT awaits a new capacitor or two. When the Sony is repaired and working again I have a room for it, but until then the LDs sit in a closet unwatched.
post #26 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I still have my Pioneer CLD-99. The rosewood side panels and gold trim are some serious HT 'bling'.. cool.gif

pioneer1.jpg

One of my favorite disks was Jurassic Park DTS. I thought I was cool for having an early 5.1 setup.

now I have to plug it in and see how it looks after all these years, I have about 300 laserdiscs. The artwork / packaging on some of the releases were amazing.

I have the T2 Laserdisc on display in my office @ work. People ask 'what is the deal with the silver record?'

I was thinking that the artwork/packaging is probably really cool, may be worth more than the discs themselves these days.

I am sure wood panels and gold trim are due for a comeback.

post #27 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm looking for a high end LD player if someone has one they want to sale....I have a lot good memories watching LDs and still have a fair number of them.

Apparently the box with my LD player has disappeared at some point as we moved around the country. frown.gif

PM me!

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #28 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Omg. I have never seen one of these! I remember buying a DVD player back in the late 90's, maybe 98-99 but don't even recall laserdisc being sold anywhere to be introduced to them. How did I miss this technology? I was in my teens throughout the 90's and rented/watched/bought new released VHS titles on a weekly basis. Wow. Just goes to show how living in a small town before the Internet age truly kept some of us in the dark on such technologies. I bought my first AVR when I was 11-12 years old so its not like I wasn't into audio/video back then. I was just as much of a audio/video holic then as I am now and had a room full of 15" KLH big box speakers in my tiny bedroom of a small rental house.
post #29 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

I'm looking for a high end LD player if someone has one they want to sale....I have a lot good memories watching LDs and still have a fair number of them.

Apparently the box with my LD player has disappeared at some point as we moved around the country. frown.gif

PM me!

Nice car! Sold my GTR and miss her at times. I even drove down to Georgia to buy it back in 2010. Noticed your location.
post #30 of 46 Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks!

It's a lot of fun.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae1000u High Definition Home Theater Projector , Mitsubishi Hc5000 Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page